rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Bath vs Glaws
30 April, 2017 15:45
An edgy/rubbish first 20 and then opened up a bit more in the second 20. Old story of low posession/territory though. Sigh.

Chris Brooker has given up a couple of penalties and can't hit a lineout. Don't really understand why Charles has been given so few chances.

by
by (IP Logged)

Re: Bath vs Glaws
30 April, 2017 15:48
Not a great half from us, losing every game of kick tennis yet still trying it.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 15:51
According to TV 70% territory to Glos!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 15:54
Sounds about right. Priestland eschews modern goal-kicking convention (i.e. kick it straight) doesn't he? He really seems to struggle from the right-hand side of the pitch.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 15:57
Brooker looking very poor unfortunately. Charles must feel hard done by!

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:08
Great try by clark

mfzeus
freddyf (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:08
Fabulous try Clark

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:10
Great start to the second half!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

Beautiful

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Anything in the fact that, our early season backs doing the business?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:11
Someone give Knight a new contract!

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:14
Quote:
BathSalmon

Already got one thankfully, having a great game

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:16
Quote:
by
Quote:
BathSalmon

Already got one thankfully, having a great game

Great! Must have missed it!

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:19
cr@p call by carley at scrumtime

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:21
So why do I always get nervous when the subs start coming on at the end of the game then?

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:28
TBP by Fruean

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

Fruean!!!! PLEASE STAY!!!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

Quote:
shipwrecked
Anything in the fact that, our early season backs doing the business?

Was thinking the same.

You know, I think I'd start Homer over Watson right now.

Stuart

Former ed.

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:33
Best 2nd half of the season?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:40
Awesome performance. Who thinks the players didn't 'want it' today? Can't beat stuffing Glos...very pleased.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:44
Such a shame we won't be having a replay in a fortnight.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:45
FFS RFU, WR too for that matter.
Saints got away with it by imagining a loophole that wasn't there, and now Glos have done exactly the same, for an excuse we don't know yet.

Matu'u was clearly unconscious, and therefore has failed the HIA before it's even begun. Allowing him back on the pitch is disrepute. Saints should have been docked points, Good need to be hammered. Points deduction won't make a difference to them this season, but would send a message going forwards. Some club needs to get hammered before a player dies (second impact syndrome for anyone who thinks I'm being hyperbolic - however bored you all of me going off on this for the last 8 years)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:47
Homer, Brew, Garvey are such massive players for us. Ford had a good cameo when he came on, good way to send him off.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:49
Kahn was.class today... Really good game I thought and a faletau hat-trick immense! Really want to keep fruean and chuffed to have Garvey back. Brooker the only weak link unfortunately

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:52
Guaranteed 5th spot. Possible 4th. I'll take that after last season!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:54
Quote:
Bathovalballer
On form and recent performances, there is only one winner here and, without Attwood, JJ and Roko, it is not Bath.
Glaws by at least 10.

Mmmm.....

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:55
Quote:
benjbath
Kahn was.class today... Really good game I thought and a faletau hat-trick immense! Really want to keep fruean and chuffed to have Garvey back. Brooker the only weak link unfortunately

+1

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:55
Big game from Clark today

mfzeus
freddyf (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:56
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
benjbath

+1

+2

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:56
Came good in the second half and the confidence clearly grew.

Amazed the Goucester hooker stayed on - negligence by someone, and I agree a points deduction should apply.

Shame we didn't get the half century!

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 16:58
Fantastic! Wonder if the squad changes proved the difference or whether we just finally turned up.

Quote:
Which Tyler
Matu'u was clearly unconscious, and therefore has failed the HIA before it's even begun. Allowing him back on the pitch is disrepute.

WT, I entirely agree and keep on with it because we can all lose focus on what really matters when the competition begins.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:02
Great second half. Shows what we can do with most of our players fit. Nice way to get European rugby by beating Glos. Hope Freuan stays for next season. Had a good impact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2017 17:04 by supermarinematt.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:11
Fantastic team performance. Homer, Clark, Brew, Priestland and Garvs were all chomping at the bit after being left out for a few weeks and they stepped up.

5th place is a good effort after last season and next week is now at least interesting!

BathHalfFull
BathHalfFull (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:34
Cracking second half performance after some great defence in the first too. Selection totally justified and makes next week's selection very interesting too. I'd be tempted to go same again with only a change at hooker. Loved clark's try and also the understanding between Kahn and fruan for the bp try. I fear it'll be too late for 4th and you can't help but look back at games we should have won and think of whet could have been but considering the ludicrous injuries we've had, 5th is not a bad showing. Let's hope todd's old mate Gary Gold can do us a favour and we can take advantage!

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:34
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer
On form and recent performances, there is only one winner here and, without Attwood, JJ and Roko, it is not Bath.
Glaws by at least 10.

Mmmm.....

That Faletau! Overpaid superstar, doesn't want to play for the shirt, a disgrace. Sell him on!

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:45
[quote Boldngrey][quote shipwrecked][quote Bathovalballer]On form and recent performances, there is only one winner here and, without Attwood, JJ and Roko, it is not Bath.

Glaws by at least 10.[/quote]

Mmmm.....[/quote]

That Faletau! Overpaid superstar, doesn't want to play for the shirt, a disgrace. Sell him on![/quote

Scoring three tries, putting himself in the shop window for other clubs to contact his agent. @#$%&.

by
by (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:46
I thought Ford and Priestland combined well together, give Taps the week off, put JJ and Fruean on the bench.

DC22
DC22 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:49
Second half goes to show what happens when Bath keep the ball in hand.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 17:50
Amongst all the glory, I thought Watson was off form?

Flying Scotsman
Flying Scotsman (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 18:10
Magnificent second half. And a solid but unspectacular first half. Very pleased for Clark - he was excellent, not just his try. We need to keep him and not let him slip down the route Ollie took last year.

COYB

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 18:26
Some of those try finishes were top drawer stuff - Brew in particular

And come on, Carley had a decent game too especially considering the potential for derby carnage

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 19:15
BoB

'Glaws by 10.....'

I was thinking about this during the game!!!

The usual combination of our forwards being murdered by their big, burly, streetwise pack and our backs never threatening the try line.

Always makes me smile!

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2017 20:42 by Danchinho.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 19:27
Well that performance rescued some pride from a dire second half of the season.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

hipster1676
hipster1676 (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 19:57
Quote:
Flying Scotsman
Magnificent second half. And a solid but unspectacular first half. Very pleased for Clark - he was excellent, not just his try. We need to keep him and not let him slip down the route Ollie took last year.
COYB
his line for his try was sublime. However he was totally at fault for May's 2nd try as he was handed off with ease by Sharples who then put May in

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 20:22
Quote:
supermarinematt
Great second half. Shows what we can do with most of our players fit. Nice way to get European rugby by beating Glos. Hope Freuan stays for next season. Had a good impact.

Remember that we had JJ, Atwood, Ford, Banahan, Autorac, Batty & Thomas missing today. It was the energy & organisation that created the platform, nothing to do with superstars (though Falatau had a part (Sm161)) Unfortunately we haven't produced that form mid season with all our superstars playing. Dare I say it, were even a bit like a Exeter today.(Sm130)

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 20:41
Yeah, but when we lose our 7 best impact carriers*, we lack for impact carriers and therefore the players obviously don't want it enough... I thought everyone knew that!

* Thomas, Lahiff, Attwwood, Garvey, Faletau, Banahan, Freaun

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2017 20:43 by Which Tyler.

OBinexile
OBinexile (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 20:45
First paragraph of the Guardian writeup. BoB I think you've made it into the national media!

''Bath have endured a curious campaign but, with one round to go, they are still arithmetically in the hunt for play-off participation. If the odds remain against them pipping Leicester for the fourth and final spot, they showed enough vim and vigour in this six-try demolition of their West Country rivals Gloucester to guarantee European Champions’ Cup rugby next season and confound some of their more jaundiced supporters.''

OBinExile

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 20:57
It is evident to me that, through saving up all their motivational energy over the last few weeks, the team just about managed to pool their resources and want it more than Gloucester who, through losing and being a long way below us in the league, obviously very rarely want it at all and had wasted a lot of their want on an unwanting la rochelle outfit last week

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 20:58
I think the manner by which we let in tries today is what's holding us back from being contenders.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Flying Scotsman

30 April, 2017 21:00
Quote:
hipster1676
Quote:
Flying Scotsman
COYB
his line for his try was sublime. However he was totally at fault for May's 2nd try as he was handed off with ease by Sharples who then put May in

Agreed that he could have done better for that try. But he's 22/23 and making a big impact in a big game. Defensive work will no doubt follow over the summer but he's exactly the sort of player we don't want to needlessly slip through our fingers.

Priorities: line of duty time 😀.

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 21:17
He’s 21.

Flying Scotsman

30 April, 2017 21:23
Quote:
FourSticks
He’s 21.

Well there you go. Need to keep quality young players like him in the club. Sure he will miss a tackle along the way but he is definitely worth keeping a solid hold of.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

30 April, 2017 22:55
He had noteworthy flashes of brilliance last season.

Good to finally see why Rhys is an international- v good game.

Glad they all collectively raised their game today in the second half. Quite a turnaround, as in the first it was glaringly obvious that Glaws wanted it more.
Let's hope their collective will lasts for the next couple of weeks! Sale away will need every ounce of their focus and energy - 'orrible fixture, and returning home in the middle of the night doesn't help!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 00:29
Didn't want to tart a new thread but just seen parts of the Ospreys game where Sam Underhill was in partnership with Justin Tipuric for the Ospreys and was really quick around the park yesterday in all facets of the game.

With Faletau hitting form and Flo and Garvey back we are going to have a back row that can really change the speed we play at next season.

As a rider, given the fact that we are still looking for a 9 to support KF it was particularly galling to see Jonathon Evans having another good game for Scarlets yesterday, he has had a few before but I wondered if it was transient. It wasn't and we missed out there I fear.

I always thought that if Evans and Priestland were given an extended run they would come good. But other factors killed that idea. I am beginning to get the feeling that Welsh players in England take a bit longer to settle in!

Perhaps it's time for a positive thread about how well we will do next season. (Sm159)

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 00:38
Well folks I was wrong and am very gladly and relieved to say so.

Saying that, how many after the aimless first half, apart from Kahn's brilliance and Faletau's excellent finish, saw that result coming with any confidence?

Also, if we can play like that why not more often and why let lesser sides beat us as has happened so often this season? The proof will be shown if we can take the effort and skill into the vital Sale fixture next week.

It also proves to me the excellence and togetherness of some of our lesser lights like Stooke who was immense and Knight who was more than just a tower of solidity in the scrum and contributed allover the park. Clark did well apart from trying to tackle Sharples too high, and his incisive run was probably the best action of a Bath centre we have seen all season. We really didn't miss JJ which certainly says something and shows up the paucity of his club form.

Rhys proved today with regular starts, what a talent he is and how we don't need GF. He will make Freddie work very hard for the 10 shirt. Just wish Kahn was 6 years younger. What a talent whose intuitive attacking play was interspersed with excellent defence, ball jackling and defensive kicking.

Watson in my opinion was woeful and missed at least two tackles, didn't do anything like the work Brew did and, on form, Homer has to be our full back. Rock solid defence and good attacking flair from young Tom. He has definitely improved this season. Watson is certainly one whose club form is well below his international form and questions have to be asked why.

If we don't secure Fruean's signature, we are plain stupid as again he caused huge defensive problems for Glaws and they could not deal with his power and speed. At the moment I would start him over JJ and Watson in my side.

IMO, by not picking JJ or Ford to start and putting Watson on the wing, the coaches have sent out a signal in that form and commitment counts as much as international recognition and those stars are going to have to prove their worth to get picked in future. All good news IMO.

Finally what a talent Faletau proved he is today. Catching kick offs, running and passing, ability to read a game and having the knack to often be in the right place at the right time. We have to keep him fit and give him the chance to run at sides. His running caused Glaws huge defensive problems and we need him to do that regularly.

Well played Bath. Now repeat that performance again and show us it was not a flash in the pan.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 03:30
Just watched the game. A thing of grace and beauty but one really does wonder why we have chosen not to play like that all season. The weather was cr@p and it made little difference to our ambition or execution. It pains me to say it but we seem to be a much more coherent side without our stars playing. And we need to find a way preserve Kaaaaaahn in aspic or clone him or something because we're half the side without him.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 07:51
Great defensive first half, great attacking second half. Pleased to see Brew, Clark and Homer go well, Faletau his best game for us though Kahn was slower than usual at the breakdown. We didn't miss Ford or JJ and Watson was a peripheral figure. The result was pleasing and maddening, how come we lost away to Bris and Wuss when we perform like that? I was beginning to have my doubts about TB/TM but will put those on hold for now; a BP win away at Sale now needed to back up this result please.

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 09:56
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Well folks I was wrong and am very gladly and relieved to say so.

Finally what a talent Faletau proved he is today. Catching kick offs, running and passing, ability to read a game and having the knack to often be in the right place at the right time. We have to keep him fit and give him the chance to run at sides. His running caused Glaws huge defensive problems and we need him to do that regularly.

Are you sure you are not mistaking him for Mercer?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 10:03
Brillianr second half and I have to eat some humble pie, Mr Carley did let the game flow and had a pretty good game - apart from e scrum which clearly got to Toby Booth when interviewed.

Thought Fruen showed again what he brings, size and power you could see Hibberd who is a combative individual pull out of tackling him for his try, yes he had already hurt his arm earlier in the game, but I am sure if it was not Fruen he would have put a tackle in.

Great team performance today lets hope we can finish on a high.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 10:13
Had a wonderful day at the Rec with a friend from this parish!

Faletau was absolute class, but he was quite quiet in the first half - lurking and plotting maybe, and pounced for a great try, but I thought the massive defensive effort which sucked the life and the ideas out of Glos in readiness for the second half was led by Charteris and Stooke as much as anyone.

Priestland showed what could have been (not just for him, but to George's benefit too) if he had been treated with a modicum of respect by Ford Sr last year. Wonderfully controlled kicking out of hand which added 10-15 metres every time versus George - absolutely critical metres which take huge amounts of energy to gain in open play, but just one languid stroke of the boot out of hand - thus enabling the forwards to jog up to the ensuing lineout with a smile on their faces.

It also shows how much George himself would have benefited from some sensible rotation. He played a nice little cameo - the sort of thing that helps a tired player back into form.

Clark's try was a thing of absolute beauty - and it wasn't the only time that he took a flat ball at absolutely full throttle.

Things didn't quite go Louw's way in terms of turnovers, but I would imagine closer inspection would reveal that he was responsible for slowing their ball up in a way that allowed our defensive line speed to look very sharp and aggressive.

Great day out. CRC achieved. Happy with that.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 10:23
Faletau and Homer consistently received the ball safely from restarts.

The exit strategy worked very well.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 10:33
An excellent day out for me too. Delighted with Champions Cup rugby. Can't wait to see Clermont or Munster at The Rec! The thought fills me with excitement... and dread!

In addition to others on Ere...

Aled Brew was very good. Not flash, but did the basics, totally committed as ever and showed how to finish a try. If Brew had been playing on the left wing versus Bristol (sorry young Harry Davies!) we'd have won.

Our back row is world class, and I include Garvey in that. With Underhill in the mix, Denton fully fit, and Ellis and Z Mercer another year older, we'll have serious options next year. Garvey to the second row maybe? Louw 6 Underhill 7 TF 8? Either way, it's very strong.

Clark is quite remarkably only 21, but he's shown when he's played this year what he brings, which is a tough directness which is very different to JJ. With a year or two's more growth and hard work, Clark will be the real deal in defence and attack. I can perhaps see JJ moving inside to 12 if his pace goes a touch in his late 20s.

All in all, a great way to sign off the season at the glorious Rec.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 11:27
The Telegraph report mentions Bath's 'zonal attacking system' - anybody care to elaborate on that for those of us whose entire tactical strategy can be summed up by Jiffy screaming, 'it's on, it's on'.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 11:29
2-4-2. Back row plus one other ball carrier (usually Batty) keep wide, tight forwards in the middle of the park.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 11:46
The 'zonal' approach worked well yesterday.

It requires tight five forwards who remain the middle of the pitch to have good hands (i.e. be able to distribute) and make good decisions (i.e. if it's not on, hit it up). Stooke, Charteris and Catt seem be getting better at this, and KPN made a real impact.

It allows ball carriers like TF, Louw and Batty to remain in the wide channels, running at pace and at the soft, outside shoulders of smaller tacklers, getting us consistently over the advantage line.

With the half backs floating in behind, knitting things together and the quicker men hoping to find mismatches against tiring forwards, backing off and unsure where to defend. In an ideal set up, within a few back and forths across the pitch, the attacking team should have made ground and be stretching and tiring the defence, allowing the fast feet room and space to break.

It requires a massive amount of fitness to execute, given the width that it requires. Hopefully given a full pre-season it should be successful next season, especially with our fast back row (Louw, Underhill, Mercer). It does require a very fit scrum-half though! Just hope Kahn's still got the lungs for it!

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 12:28
Stooke and Charteris were absolutely immense yesterday. Cut down anyone in their path on the fringe, hit rucks hard and made an absolute mess of their mauls. Stooke's kick let him down a bit but apart from that he was class. Him and Ewels really could be Borthwick and Grewcock 2.0. Charteris would have been my man of the match I reckon. He just let Glos have nothing in the tight and I think the second row were the lynch pin in the first half performance. It took Gloucester brilliance to break us down out wide.

I thought Rhys was very shrewd today. Made some nice tactical kicks and defended his channel really well. He doesn't have the superb passing game of Ford but he picked good options off phase play, I think him and George on the pitch actually worked pretty well too and I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit of that this season. Maybe we might see some Freddie at 10 and Rhys at 12 next year.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 12:32
Blimey! I have a day out away from TV and Radio sources, and Bath exceed all expectations!
Well done Bath, well played by the sound of it.
I bet the City was echoing to the sound of humble pie being munched on, after that game!
Not quite 48-6, but just as sweet to get 48 v 20 against Glaws!thumbs down

by
by (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 13:08
Both Knight and Stooke had stormers, possibly driven by the chance to get one over on their old club. Knight looks like a very tidy bit of business IMO, the conditioning team have done a great job with him and I think he'll only get better over preseason.

Bath Supporter Jack

01 May, 2017 14:21
What a great day sitting with a very knowledgeable rugby coach/analyst(Sm151)

Deep frustration (?) watching Priestland getting most of his kicks and reflecting on what might have so easily, easily been last weekend in Paris.

However before we get too carried away it was Priestland who missed a relatively easily from the right hand side which would have won the match against Bristol and would then have put us just 1 point behind Leicester!

Watson looks very out of sorts and the body language worse. I would not be terribly surprised to see JJ and Watson not here in one to two years time.

Disappointed to hear Fruan is leaving I am concerned he will be another in the long line of players who have left Bath and then really prospered elsewhere. What price he goes to Worcester/Sale/Newcastle and plays every game for them!

Looking forward to getting my 2017/18 season tickets.

Also as said above I really hope we get drawn in a ECC league with either Munster or Clermont........both on my bucket list for an away tour!!(Sm63)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 14:29
There was good analysis of the comparative Exeter attack in the 22 the other week (I forget where). Basically they play relatively widely in midfield, but when they get to the 22 they tighten up. They tend to play one out rugby always going in the same direction. This shortens the open side and, as the opposition's tight forwards who have been sucked into previous rucks/tackles often don't work hard enough to get around this tends to split the defensive field open/blind between backs and forwards, and leaves lighter defenders in the guard/bodyguard positions - who are very susceptible to powerful runners. Patient, multi-phase attack leads to rewards - which clearly shows in Exeter's recent results.

Gloucester tried a form of that against us but a combination of the best defensive line-speed we've shown all season, them trying it from a bit too far out and their impatience and imprecision meant that it wasn't very effective. Basically the way to combat it is high quality line speed, forwards working hard to balance the defensive line and patience. I.e. the reasons why Saracens will beat Exeter.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 15:06
Just a note on Watson.

He just had the look of someone holding back 10% and who can blame him with a Lions tour beckoning.

Even if that wasn't the reason, we've all seen how games pass Roko by on occasion - yet no questions his commitment.

Let's give Watson the benefit of the doubt.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 16:37
Did someone say that Roko scored a try for the Army on Saturday?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 16:48
No but he played fullback and set up 3.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 18:10
If we can, we should give Watson a rest for the Sale game. You get the feeling his head is with the Lions.

Yesterday demonstrated yet again that we have the skills, ability and game plan to be an excellent side, but outpr Achilles' heel is inconsistency. Sometimes disrupted team sheets are a reasonable reason. Other times not.

With a strengthened back row to cover internationals and 9/10 who will be with us all Premiership season bar one match, there is reason to hope, nay expect that we will be much improved next year.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 19:15
Quote:
BathMatt53
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

I thought he did really well. Gave a very good impression of a fullback. Made all the right decisions in attack. He passed the ball more than I've ever seen him. Generally unselfish and put two tries on for their no.14.

His only blemishes was a clearance that went straight into touch after being passed back into the 22 and the other a grubber he tried that was blocked in his own half.

He did also seem to be flagging at the end (fitness-wise), due to the greater ground having to cover from fullback. But more of game time in that position would stand him in good stead.

MESSAGES->author

01 May, 2017 20:49
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
BathMatt53
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

I thought he did really well. Gave a very good impression of a fullback. Made all the right decisions in attack. He passed the ball more than I've ever seen him. Generally unselfish and put two tries on for their no.14.

His only blemishes was a clearance that went straight into touch after being passed back into the 22 and the other a grubber he tried that was blocked in his own half.

He did also seem to be flagging at the end (fitness-wise), due to the greater ground having to cover from fullback. But more of game time in that position would stand him in good stead.

I thought Tom Homer was close to being our MoM yesterday. I'd also like to see him being entrusted with more of the kicking duties. On current form, Anthony should not be within a country mile of the 15 shirt for us.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 21:04
I'm not sure that AW has the footballing skills to be a great 15. I definitely feel more comfortable with Homer as the last line of defence and also decent at kicking out of hand if needed (like Goode or Beale). No doubting the ability of AW on the wing mind you...

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 21:10
Homer at FB, Roko and Brew on the wings.

Rest Watson.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 21:36
Are people forgetting three weeks ago when Watson was razor sharp at fullback?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 22:09
Quote:
hasta

I think you'll find that was before the Lions squad announcement Hasta. (19th April)

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 22:23
Quote:
hasta

He was and of course he is a wonderful player but not all games can be won by running things back from FB. Watson can do things from FB many can't but for me Homer is more solid and rounded. Both would get in my Bath team.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 23:49
I think JJ and Watson are a package. They are mates, they like playing together, they bring the best out of each other. I think Club rugby is relatively small beer for them, though a run in the CRC might get their juices going. If we are in the mix for big boy games next year we might hang on to them. If one goes, they are probably both gone.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:25
Watson has scored 7 tries from 12 starts for Bath this season despite being injured for half of it and with England the rest. Homer has scored 2 from 13. Yes, Watson made two poor mistakes late on against Stade - but it'd be ridiculous to say his heart wasn't in that or that he wasn't in the game. I agree he looked a little out of the game on Sunday - but as others have pointed out, it can often happen to Roko and no-one accuses him.

I think Homer is an excellent deputy and has upped his game this season. Watson is still only 23 and has a pretty good shot at being an 80 cap plus player for England, continuing at his record of a try every other game. If I had to secure one, I know which one I'd go for and it wouldn't even be close.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:47
I get the impression the 2-4-2 with the forwards suits some backs more than others. If you are a wide player who likes to get his hands on the ball with plenty of space it may not suit you to have your back row or Batty in between you and your inside distributors as it takes longer then for you to get your hands on the ball.

I get the impression that is why Roko and now Watson have been a little quiet on the flanks of late.

Brew played well but was gifted his try by those inside him and finish it well. Watson and Roko are the sorts who prefer to make their scores from nowhere than necessarily finish off others but I suppose it will just be a case of adapting to the game plan when we have a fully fit squad.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:56
Personally I think Watson is wasted at wing. Play him at fullback where he can come into the game more. He will develop better game management with time and games.

Homer has proven to be very good this year, but still lacks that top end pace to really worry defences.

Re: the post above, Watson at fullback will be able to pick and choose where the space is in a 2-4-2 formation, making him more effective.

Bigger stronger wingers will thrive in the more confined spaces on the touchline - i. e. Your Rokos and Frueans. Or they need to work more off of shoulders and look for work.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:58
Good point Big Dog. Spot on. And this is where learning the system inside out takes more than one season.

See Nowell or Ashton, and they operate as wingers floating behind the first offensive line, receiving the ball to distribute or run. Watson should be fine with that, Roko might take a little more work, but I'd like all of our wingers to go looking for the ball more and not standing on the wing just to make width. Fruean's try a great example.

The system will also move our 13s inside a touch, and we've seen this with JJ in the past few weeks, who almost looks like he's playing at 12 sometimes. Again, it'll take time to perfect but he has the skills and could be to his benefit in the long term.

A good pre season to get everyone on the same page will help. The Lions will have to dial in from the beach!

BennyBoyo
BennyBoyo (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 12:05
Quote:
mfzeus
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
benjbath

+1

+2

+3

touchline viewer
touchline viewer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 14:48
Thanks to those who posted how the game went this weekend. Always appreciated.

One question though. A lot of us were worried how Carley was going to affect the game. In retrospect how did Sir perform?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 15:11
Quote:
touchline viewer
Thanks to those who posted how the game went this weekend. Always appreciated.
One question though. A lot of us were worried how Carley was going to affect the game. In retrospect how did Sir perform?

To be fair i didn't really notice him, which is what you want

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 15:14
He gave us a penalty without seeing that Tapui was clean through and would have probably scored, which was annoying.

Didn't handle the scrum too well, but other than that didn't seem to stop play too much.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author

02 May, 2017 17:49
Quote:
OutsideBath
He gave us a penalty without seeing that Tapui was clean through and would have probably scored, which was annoying.
Didn't handle the scrum too well, but other than that didn't seem to stop play too much.

Tapuai had 2 Glaws players covering him and the ball had just bounced 90 degrees away from his direction of travel.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 18:03
And he was fifty yards out.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 12:33
He blew as soon as we kicked rather than waiting to see if we had an advantage.
He also called advantage over as we kicked direct into touch but changed his mind as a result and came back for our scrum.

His best performance I've seen though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net