rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

Why did Chris Cook kick the ball into touch at the end of the game?
01 May, 2017 19:55
We couldn't lose, we were on the attack and we have a worse points differential than the Tigs so we need all the points we can get in the race for 4th. And we might have put 50 on Glaws. I couldn't understand it.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Why did Chris Cook kick the ball into touch at the end of the game?
01 May, 2017 20:05
Only he knows...in that position on the field there was nothing to lose with the score as it was.

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 20:13
Actually, we wanted to keep playing to reduce the points diff with Leics.

They wanted to keep playing for the fourth try.

There was no need to kick it out - we could have played 'til midnight.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 20:18
I was so confused by it. Delighted we'd won the game but maddened by the decision. Glos getting a BP meant nothing to us. The game was won. The upside was closing the gap on Tiger's points difference.

CC's brain must only work for 80 minutes. Two week's in a row he's not handled things very well that have happened in the 82nd minute!

BathHalfFull
BathHalfFull (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 20:20
I thought the same. Maybe he thought job done and let's not risk any injuries but as already pointed out there's no point in not going for more points. I think a few of the other players looked a bit surprised too. By all accounts Cook is a lovely chap and he is capable of playing some great rugby - think back to that brilliant try he scored a few months ago - but I don't think he makes composed decisions and sees the bigger picture at pinch points.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 21:03
Quote:
BathHalfFull
I thought the same. Maybe he thought job done and let's not risk any injuries but as already pointed out there's no point in not going for more points. I think a few of the other players looked a bit surprised too. By all accounts Cook is a lovely chap and he is capable of playing some great rugby - think back to that brilliant try he scored a few months ago - but I don't think he makes composed decisions and sees the bigger picture at pinch points.

Agree, very good summary of my thinking, very strange as he had to actively reverse the flow of play to do so! Of all the positions on the field, that is the one where tactical thinking is a must.

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 21:56
At that time Tigers points difference was 117, Bath's 49...you can't score 68 points in the last minute of a game but you can have an injury. I don't see us making up that points difference in the last round either.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 22:16
But it was a shot to nothing Oilman - us putting 50 on them was never going to be a bad thing? As Cook had only just come on I thought he may fancy a few more minutes actually to score another wonder try!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 22:51
At least have tried a DG or something. Playing by rote.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 23:49
If he thought kicking to touch was was the prudent option the take a look at this video of Jack McGrath's kick to touch.

I'm not sure what the coach told him but I doubt it was on the white board!

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

01 May, 2017 23:57
At the time I was as surprised as anyone but I think he did the right thing.

In the NFL there is an unwritten rule that you don't run up the score...

In this case we'd already hammered Glos. The point's differential is not going to affect the outcome of the final league places and it mitigates a small risk of injury.

We could have rubbed Glos's noses in it - but sometimes it's better to be the bigger man (team).

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 00:43
The points difference won't matter because I think winning by 60 points would be absurd so we'd probably need Leicester to lose by more than 7 anyway and we'd rack up 4 tries well before reaching 60 points. I would have liked to see them go for something but job was done, most guys were probably knackered too.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 06:02
There was absolutely nothing on either. When Fors threw the all back to him from the turnover he had practically no Bath players behind him and all Glos players in front of him. Sure, it would have been nice to get 50 but in the grand scheme of things it won't make any difference to whether we get into the play offs or not - losing games against Bristol and worcester did that.

alibev
alibev (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 06:40
Quote:
Robbinho
There was absolutely nothing on either. When Fors threw the all back to him from the turnover he had practically no Bath players behind him and all Glos players in front of him. Sure, it would have been nice to get 50 but in the grand scheme of things it won't make any difference to whether we get into the play offs or not - losing games against Bristol and worcester did that.

+1

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 06:47
Not wishing to labour the point but I doubt he would have computed that the points differential was too much to matter in that split second. Even the chance of a few more points would have been welcome. However, the main issue is would we be happy having Cook as our main scrum half for much of next season as we have to be prepared for that possibility.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 06:56
I thought it was the right decision and would have been furious if Glos had got hold of the ball and scored another try.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 07:44
I too thought it was the right decision and would have been livid if they had scored again with us pushing for more points. I am sure if we had conceded a try going for another (which realistically won't make a difference to league position), a thread would be created asking why Chris Cook didn't kick the ball into touch at the end of the game. I am also pretty sure if Faletau or Khan had recieved the ball at that time and kicked it dead we wouldn't have this thread.
Although still mathematically possible, we lost 4th place due to inconsistencies and poor performances over the entire season.
Also before this thread goes off on a Cook tangent about brain farts, slow service and not good enough, I'd like to say that Cook is a very good scrum half, he may not be hitting the heights performance wise as he did in the season we made the finals, but I for one am happy that he is at Bath and think he is more than capable deputy for Khan.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 08:01
I'm not implying he is not - just asking a valid question.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 08:06
I was a little miffed tbh but in hindsight he was basically the furthest back Bath player, had an entire Gloucester line advancing towards him. The only thing he could have done was perhaps an audacious chip and chase but we had the win, we had the BP and we had not given our bitterest rival anything from the game.

Had it gone wrong and they scored another try (we gave them 2 unnecessary tries towards the end anyways) I would have been more bothered.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 08:31
I'd have gone for the snap drop goal, but I'll settle for beating Gloucester 44-20.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:13
Quote:
Awp24975
I too thought it was the right decision and would have been livid if they had scored again with us pushing for more points. I am sure if we had conceded a try going for another (which realistically won't make a difference to league position), a thread would be created asking why Chris Cook didn't kick the ball into touch at the end of the game. I am also pretty sure if Faletau or Khan had recieved the ball at that time and kicked it dead we wouldn't have this thread.
Although still mathematically possible, we lost 4th place due to inconsistencies and poor performances over the entire season.
Also before this thread goes off on a Cook tangent about brain farts, slow service and not good enough, I'd like to say that Cook is a very good scrum half, he may not be hitting the heights performance wise as he did in the season we made the finals, but I for one am happy that he is at Bath and think he is more than capable deputy for Khan.
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=267

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Why did Chris Cook kick the ball into touch at the end of the game?
02 May, 2017 09:17
Lets face it - it made no actual difference, I was just intrigued as to why he did it.

Watched the highlights for the 3rd time this morning to cheer me up before the working week!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:41
I suppose it's possible that, when he received the ball, one or two of the forwards who had been on for the full 80 gave him a little look that said, 'if you even think about running that ball, don't get stuck at the bottom of a ruck in training next week'....

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:46
Plus he may have got a call from the forwards to kick out.

Edit - Beat me to it Opti...

A look at Shedweb shows this is not high on their list of topics. Most blame us for having so much money we can bring in rested stars, presumably Clark, Brew etc.... Pre match it was the same selections of little known players that gave them hope of winning (with some England players not in the starting XV) so not sure they can have it both ways!

Credit to our coaches and conditioning staff who made good calls last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 09:48 by B4thB4ck.

Littlelen
Littlelen (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 09:54
A drop goal attempt would have been ideal to end on, but appreciate that there was no point in playing on for possibly many minutes and risking injuries. Maybe he got a message from on high ? (I mean coaches).
Anyway as said it will have little effect on things in the grand scheme of the season.
That was a highly satisfying performance for me lets hope we can build on that.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 10:38
Quote:
B4thB4ck

A look at Shedweb shows this is not high on their list of topics. Most blame us for having so much money we can bring in rested stars, presumably Clark, Brew etc....

Compared to the paltry choice of replacements that Wasps & Sarries have, not to mention Saints & Tigers have available??? (Sm161)Incidentally, there are individuals on their website, I hesitate to call them people, who for some reason detest Bath, its players, supporters & the Rec. I think such an attitude in sport is pathetic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 10:42 by Bath Hammer.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 11:00
Agree Bath Hammer - any person who 'hates' another team to the point of distraction needs to get a bit of perspective. There are all teams we want to win and those we want to lose for all sorts of reasons, but really?

Bath Supporter Jack

02 May, 2017 11:55
The one thing I will say about Cooke is that it appears that he has learnt to stay on the pitch and not to get the yellow........which it felt like he did every game last season (I know that's not true it just felt that way!)

strawhead
strawhead (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 12:16
There are plenty of persons from this site who are prone to childish vitriol about other teams , so posting comments about glaws supporters being sub humans is hardly the way forward and puts yourself in the same boat as those you were criticising ..

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 15:58
strawhead? More like strawman.

1) No-one here, other than you has used the phrase 'sub-human.;

2) The posts have specifically said 'some fans,' not all glaws supporters.

5/10 - must try harder.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 16:22
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
strawhead? More like strawman.
1) No-one here, other than you has used the phrase 'sub-human.;

2) The posts have specifically said 'some fans,' not all glaws supporters.

5/10 - must try harder.

Absolutely, I mentioned "individuals" They just happened to be posting on the Shedweb site. Nobody objected to the comments however as I would have done if someone had referred to Gloucester & its supporters in that way. I'm not being tribal but can't stand that sort of behaviour wherever it occurs.

bathboyinmidlands
bathboyinmidlands (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 16:59
Agree a fairly negative thing to do and a bit surprising to most especially the players lined up outside him.

But ultimately wouldn't really make much difference in points scored difference with tiggers as would only have scored 1 try and possible conversion before ref blew for end of game.

strawhead
strawhead (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 17:23
Personally think he made the correct decision , why take a meaningless risk ..

Love the straw man comment !

However you cannot honestly say that Bristol and Gloucester don't get slightly more than their fair share of unpleasantness

MESSAGES->author
dabos (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 17:48
Friend of mine knows Chris. Apparently considered a DG, bur went for the safer option.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 18:11
We had a Glos supporter in the South Stand who took every opportunity to have a go at his players after each Bath try, believe me he had many opportunities! Think he maybe BoB's Glos cousin, as he kept on stating that the guys don't deserve to wear the shirt! One of the players gestured whether the ranter would like to put the shirt on himself! Laugh a minute!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Dragon13
ElTorro (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 21:11
In answer to the question, he was probably attempting a cross field kick.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 08:41
Don't think CC does drop goals and imho he did absolutely the right thing - no doubt having heard a few mutterings to do so pdq from those who had been slaving away for 80 mins plus.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 08:58
Quote:
ElTorro
In answer to the question, he was probably attempting a cross field kick.

LOL.

The wags are on fire today! 2nd contender for pithy, witty post of the season. (See Woodpecker on Squad Disciplinaries thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net