rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

Worcester player releases
02 May, 2017 12:20
[www.premiershiprugby.com]

I know many people won't be interested, but dealt a bit sorry for Biggsy

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Worcester player releases
02 May, 2017 12:54
Some big old salaries going there - rumours about Ryan Lambs wage and I'm sure that players like James Johnson wouldn't be on a pittance even if he is past his best (going to Brive I see). Add Dowson, Grant and Vuna to that and they should have some good spending power...

Used to love watching Biggsy - now there was a guy who punched above his weight and chased everything. Shame it all went a bit pear-shaped with the aborted league move etc.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 15:47
I can see Biggsy in a Yorkshire Carnegie shirt next season...

Adopted players: [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

bathhawk
bathhawk (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 22:20
Cooper Vuna would be nice

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 02:12
Surprised Cooper Vuna released as he can be very good indeed.

I loved watching Biggsy and hope he finds someone who lets him go on showing what a gutsy, great competitor he is. Best of luck Tom.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 05:08
Vuna has been "found Out" defensively.

I do believe Biggsy is looking at a career in the Police.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 15:11
Surprised by a few of these - particularly Biggsy and Cooper Vuna. I presume with Perry Humphreys, Dean Hammond, Bryce Heem and Chris Pennell they have some decent options.

Also will be presumably offering Josh Adams a full pro contract as he has been superb for them this year.

I fancy Worcester to make top 7 next year. They have a decent squad growing there and by finding some additional salary cap space with this clearout they have the chance to bring in some good players and keep their top talent like a Hougaard etc.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 15:59
Maybe. Whatever Gary Gold is, a rugby visionary he isn't. They need to keep Hougaard fit, which isn't a given, and find a decent 10. They need to find a way to win away from Sixways. Top 7 means finishing above one of Quins or Saints as well as Glaws, Newcastle and Sale.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 18:38
In terms of their 10s both of them re-signed recently. Ryan Mills 13th April and Heathcote 6 days ago.

I would be a bit worried about their squad size with so many released but I seem to remember that they had more England U20s than anyone (?) so maybe they can develop them through AW games etc which, for me, is a great idea for a long term plan. I am still slightly concerned about a lack of top academy backs coming through apart from the young Beechen lad (fullback).

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 19:26
Neither Mills nor Heathcote are likely to transform them.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 19:59
I quite like Mills, think he's a good player. Heathcote an adequate no 2. You forgot London Irish hasta (unless you think that they are top 6 next year). I agree with Big Dog that if they make a few quality signings they could do OK - at least be in the chase for 7th.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 20:30
I'm assuming they'd finish above Irish, point is to finish 7th they'd have to overhaul an awful lot of teams. And I don't see Mills as the 10 to do that.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 09:18
I actually do see Mills as the 10 for that oddly. From his performances this year I have always been impressed. Kicks well, distributes well, tackles well and punts pretty well too. Not a big name but has been there a while now and seems a competitive, passionate bloke. I saw him play a game against Wasps or someone good I think it was where he could barely run as his leg was so patched up but he played on and played pretty well!

They also have young Shillcock who looks like he could be a top talent with more development time. He will benefit from a summer of weight training and full pre-season and become more confident in the environment with the seniors.

I have been impressed with Worcester both times we played them this season and they are my one to watch next year. I think they'll take a few scalps at home and if they win a few more away could be a decent shout for Champions cup the following year!

(PLUS we really need them to do us a humongous favour this weekend by beating Leicester at Sixways by more than 7 points and by not allowing Leicester 4 tries and thus a single bonus point also - cheers in advance Wuss)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 09:26
Champions Cup qualification (i.e. top 6) is looking like 10/11 wins this season. That means doubling Worcester's wins total.

I think they're an improving outfit. But I struggle to see them getting 10/11 wins.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 09:59
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Vuna has been "found Out" defensively.
I do believe Biggsy is looking at a career in the Police.

Yes, I heard that, replacing Stewart Copeland.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 10:58
I thought I heard on Flats&Shanks that Biggsy was going to be a personal trainer when he finished playing.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:12
Quote:
hasta
Champions Cup qualification (i.e. top 6) is looking like 10/11 wins this season. That means doubling Worcester's wins total.
I think they're an improving outfit. But I struggle to see them getting 10/11 wins.

I suppose it'll be down to how they recruit this summer! They have the good backbone of a team with a few slots for top stars in crucial positions though.

Both Porps, another second row, a top number 8 and a top 10 or maybe a distributive 12 probably the areas they would need to address most.

Their backline generally speaking is pretty good though!
9. Hougaard
10. Mills
11. Adams/Humphreys
12. Willison/Olivier
13. Te'o
14. Heem
15. Pennell

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 11:16
Losing Ruskin is a big blow. I don't see that backline as being particularly spectacular, Hougaard and to some extent Te'o aside.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 12:24
Worcester would do us a huge favour by 'nilling' Leicester this weekend but without the tough Ruskin that task becomes much more difficult,regrettably!

Mills is developing into a Myler type of fly half, reliable kicker, tactically aware, good distributor and passer, and tough not letting injury stop him playing. Backed up by Heathcote, I don't think they are too shabby and with Hougaard inside them pulling the strings, look pretty solid combination to me.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 15:36
Only problem there is Mills wants to play 12 next year hence we are being linked with available 10 going - Flood/Steyn the latest rumours.

Ruskin from earlier on this season a much bigger loss than Ruskin in the 2nd half of this season - out of shape and petulant. Potential to be an international player but he's got to sort his sulky attitude out - maybe Glaws will manage him better.

Not sure we're Champions Cup material but a better season injury wise, a decent 10 and we could break the Top 8.

Hopefully we do the business for you on Saturday!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>