rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Dragon13
ElTorro (IP Logged)

Arrivals/departures
02 May, 2017 22:19
Has the squad for 2017/2018 been finalised (as such).

Have all arrivals/departures been announced or will there be more news to follow?

Doesn't appear to be a large turnover of players this year, apart from Ford/Burns. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Arrivals/departures
02 May, 2017 22:33
Well grant and fruean contract renewals (or not) haven't been sorted (or at least released). We know about Sisi, Hastings, Ford. Suspect Jeff Williams. Marfo was on short term. Kristian Phillips, Brooker, Joe Graham and Nathan Charles all short term.

Dragon13
ElTorro (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 22:40
I remember Malco passing comment a few months ago that we were in advanced talks or agreed to terms with a prop. I'm hoping this is the case and that he is a dominant tight head.

Other than Underhill/Burns the only other signings have been short term (Tapuai and Wilson signed mid season)

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 May, 2017 22:54
Grant and brew were initially short term but then extended. Yes a solid TH prop would remain very welcome. Having a few of our injured back will feel like new signings (like Henry Thomas, and jack Walker).

ELT
ELT (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 08:16
Knight has also got an extended contract, so we already have four THs on the books for next season: Thomas, Lahiff, KPN and Knight. Will we get another one? I hope so, but it's not looking quite as likely.

I imagine Obano will probably get a senior contract. Officially, he's still in the Academy, isn't he?

And if we need to free up money for further recruitment, I wouldn't be surprised to see us releasing Denton: good player but something of a luxury given our back row resources and the emergence of Ellis and Mercer.

by
by (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 09:04
Dan Evans said this is the current state:

"Contracts which are up this Summer and still to be publicly sorted... G Mercer, Williams, Fruean, Grant. Brooker is on loan until end of season. Marfo, Charles and Graham are on short-term deals until end of season. Those last three are likely to leave, although Marfo has an outside chance of staying. Phillips on trial."

Later someone accidentally leaked that Guy Mercer had signed a new deal which hasn't been announced officially yet. The way its worded and given that Mercer is confirmed to have renewed, sounds as though Williams, Fruean, Grant are all in negotiations at various stages, the others are not.

Someone else also mentioned that Brooker is planning on retiring from professional rugby and is looking to go and play for Cleve RFC, a team which Catt coaches?

MESSAGES->author
CountryMike (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 09:12
I believe Jack Wilson had sign contract extended

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 09:54
Guy Mercer is an odd one. You would think that he would want to play more rugby, but if he's loyal to this Club, and the Club values whatever he contributes behind the scenes, who's to knock that. (And BoB, please don't add to this with your absurd insults about a professional.)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 10:51
Maybe, but surely the point of a rugby player is to play rugby? If they want a mascot, put him on staff and off the salary cap.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 12:25
I think we could do with a centre or two; JJ, Taps and Clark is a bit light even with Banners and a couple of others who can do a job there. Makes signing Fruean more important but I get the feeling he's off.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 12:29
If Fruean was off he'd be exactly the sort of player we'd look for. Unless there's an underlying injury issue we don't know about then I really hope we keep him.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 13:02
If underlying injury problem then Edinbrrrrr et al won't want him.

HOP

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 13:58
"If Fruean was off he'd be exactly the sort of player we'd look for"

Yep. Already carrying an injury and made of dry leaves! Bang on point for a Bath signing.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 14:10
I was thinking more powerful, direct runner, but I guess I'm just more... Optimistic.

by
by (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 14:40
I think I heard some where that Bath had revised their off to Fruean

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 15:13
Bath Chronicle suggested that he has an offer from Edinburgh and a recently rewritten offer from Bath.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 17:05
I'd love to keep Grant as well - has put in some dynamic performances for Bath.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 21:34
It also seems more and more common for clubs to sign players throughout a season.

Perhaps there will be a consideration period to try out how the squad goes with very few changes, assess what salary cap may be available and then focus on targeting any weakness.

Having said that we definitely need an alternative to Tapuai at inside centre - not that Tapuai is anything but a seriously good player - but fatigue (and poss injury) need to be covered.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 May, 2017 22:54
Watson, Joseph and to a lesser extent, Taulupe, are going to come back from NZ exhausted, if not broken. Z Mercer has a junior World Cup. I think we'll need a full squad in place for pre-season.

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 08:09
I may be forgetting someone, but have we signed a marquee for next year yet? Did Underhill come in as that marquee as he was out of England at the time?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 08:42
Quote:
BathOtter
I may be forgetting someone, but have we signed a marquee for next year yet? Did Underhill come in as that marquee as he was out of England at the time?
Do we need to sign a marquee?
Marquee's don't need to be new players, just the best paid player who qualifies to have his salary removed from the cap.
As far as I can see Louw, Faletau, Kahn, JJ, Watson could all be marquee if we so designated (obviously, not all at the same time).

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 08:44 by Which Tyler.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 09:11
Is it still done that you can have two players off the books now - one who is a foreign player and the other that is English? I may have just made up this rule in my head..?

I would presume one of either Faletau/Louw are our marquee foreign player and then I suspect perhaps Burns could end up as our other marquee as he will be taking Ford's salary space, albeit less money than Ford.

ELT
ELT (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 09:11
Today's Chronicle confirms that Fruean and Marfo are both off at the end of the season, but we are in negotiation with Grant for an extended contract.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 09:13
I don't think Kahn can be as he came from Saints. Given the salary cap rises in the last couple of years I get the impression that fewer sides are spending right to the limit any more, but I'd expect our marquees are Flo and Faletau.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>