rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Aviva Premiership Transfers Ahead of 17-18 Season
04 May, 2017 15:38
I am not sure if anyone else will have seen this but some kind person has been keeping a very accurate track of all confirmed departures and additions to the Aviva Premiership squads for the forthcoming 17-18 season - on wikipedia of all places!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Can't help but think that Sarries look to have recruited best thus far and Saints have made a number of good signings too ahead of next year.

Leicester funnily enough have signed only one player (wonder who that could be) and are the most static on this front but I suspect that this could be to do with the changing in coaching staff dictating transfer policy thus far and that O'Connor will be looking to do some recruiting very soon.

alibev
alibev (IP Logged)

Re: Aviva Premiership Transfers Ahead of 17-18 Season
04 May, 2017 15:54
I think you'll find Exeter have recruited the best, hard nosed, nuggety players with plenty of grunt who play for the team and the badge. Not the useless wasters we have recruited who already look disinterested and are a disgrace to the Blue, Black and White. /end BOB mode.

incastrowetrust
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 16:36
I think Tigers made most of there signings about 2 months ago just haven't announced them yet.
1 Prem player
kalamafoni

2 Championship players in
Joe Ford and Jonah Holmes

Can only see MOC bringing at most 3 more players into the squad on top of that a couple of project signings (Apparently have Tongan player Mapapalangi on trial) and maybe a more established name somewhere else.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 16:51
alibev that is your mode.

Personally, with the removal of the influence of a certain family, a good preseason for all, the fact that our youngsters and some of the 'lesser' players have had more game time and experience, plus the arrival of a new keen 10 who has recently shown his abundant talent, I am relatively positive about next season.

I don't think, unless we are very lucky, we will be challenging the top 4, but expect us to be 5/6 again as part of a program of steady, well planned and executed improvement. Presently we are 2/3 players away from being a top 4 regular team and still IMO need another top line tighthead, another scrum half and possibly another centre plus we have to get Auterac, Thomas and Dunn back to full fitness. It is possible Knight might be the THP we have needed as his performances recently have shown his worth to the side.

I can see Garvey going to second row much more where the relatively young Stooke (he has been an absolutely great signing so far) and Ewells have struggled in the longer term and shows how much we rely upon Attwood. I think we will see even less of Charteris as well.

I don't know about Roberts but hope we retain hooker Charles as I feel with a full preseason he has a lot to offer and compliment the youngsters Walker and Dunn.

Also one has to factor in the fitness or otherwise of our returning British Lions who we need to be fully fit, focused and motivated after a very tough tour schedule. I cannot see then starting until October, which is probably about right and let them have some down time and proper rest.

Lastly, the appointment of a regularly available and fit on the field team captain is also part of the jigsaw which needs solving before we will become a truly top side. I wonder if the two T's would consider Kahn as the man with Atters as his deputy. He has the experience, knows how to win games and able to read and dictate a game, plus does his fair share of dirty work. Francois is the obvious choice but he has not stood out for me as a leader when he has had the arm band, although often it was shared it with another.

We have qualified for European Champs Cup, much above my expectation, but hopefully we can consolidate and improve on that league position and learn from the Euro experience. Certainly Todd and Tabai can really stamp their mark upon the way we play, after a full season of Northern Hemisphere rugby and a full Prem season.

Going to be very interesting indeed.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 18:14
We will certainly need a few more to keep us going in the big Euro competition as well as international periods etc. If we really are releasing half a dozen + (mainly the short term contracts) I can see us needing at least half a dozen more...

Agree about Nathan Charles - he looked really good that one game, shame we didn't get to see more of him and we clearly need more than 3 hookers to get us through a season.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 20:22
Quote:
BathMatt53
Agree about Nathan Charles - he looked really good that one game, shame we didn't get to see more of him and we clearly need more than 3 hookers to get us through a season.

We do have 4 already contracted for next season, 5 might be a bit too much?

Batty
Dunn
Walker
Van Vurren (signed a new 2 year deal at same time as Knight)

I do like Charles though.

Centres more of an immediate priority in my mind.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 20:49
sorry, totally forgot about VV...

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 21:43
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Personall....I am relatively positive about next season.
I don't think, unless we are very lucky, we will be challenging the top 4, but expect us to be 5/6 again as part of a program of steady, well planned and executed improvement

BoB you really are an absolute clown. You have spent the entire season impugning, berating, insulting and ridiculing many of Bath's players, questioning their professionalism, calling for them to be sacked, calling for them to be dropped, comparing everything about the Club unfavourably to Exeter, acting as if you are the 'conscience' of hard man rugby and the soulmate of Graham Dawe crossed with Roger Spurrell and Andy Robinson, and generally giving the impression that we were on the verge of relegation with players performing like some Monty Python parody.

Now you're 'optimistic' that next year we will match, or conceivably fall short of this year's league position. It's pitiful, man.

by
by (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 21:48
We were rumoured to be interested in signing Hurrell from Bristol around the start of the season, I'd love to see him play at the Rec next season.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 May, 2017 22:32
Was much later - he only joined at the start of the season?

[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

Agree he would be a really good signing for us.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 09:31
Would like to see Hurrell signed on. Gives a different option at 13 with JJ absent as a hard carrying centre.

Would prefer to see us sign an out and out 12 though tbh with JJ/Clark seemingly 2 good options at 13. Tapuai is the only real 12 for me although Clark can play there too. We just look a lot better with 2 distributive players outside of the 9.

On Saturday I thought when Ford came on and he and Priestland effectively played left and right 10's we were able to play with so much width and really stretched Gloucester. Tapuai doesn't seem to do this as much and hangs out wide a lot I've noticed!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 10:13
"On Saturday I thought when Ford came on and he and Priestland effectively played left and right 10's we were able to play with so much width and really stretched Gloucester"

I think the likes of Catt, Stooke and Charteris, who spent the first 50 minutes draining the lifeblood and the ideas out of Glos, might have something to say about that BigDog. Ford came on with 15 minutes to go and the score at either 27-8 or even 34-8 (and the score that took us to 34-8 was a result of Kahn's genius no-look pass for Fruean right through the middle of the park.

For me, Ford's cameo showed what could have been if the coaches had been willing to use our 2 available international-class, but very different, fly-halves in the time-honoured manner of - start with the solid defender/kicker, then bring on the more mercurial player to pull the tiring opposition apart in the last 15.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 11:41
Quote:
Optimist
"On Saturday I thought when Ford came on and he and Priestland effectively played left and right 10's we were able to play with so much width and really stretched Gloucester"
I think the likes of Catt, Stooke and Charteris, who spent the first 50 minutes draining the lifeblood and the ideas out of Glos, might have something to say about that BigDog. Ford came on with 15 minutes to go and the score at either 27-8 or even 34-8 (and the score that took us to 34-8 was a result of Kahn's genius no-look pass for Fruean right through the middle of the park.

For me, Ford's cameo showed what could have been if the coaches had been willing to use our 2 available international-class, but very different, fly-halves in the time-honoured manner of - start with the solid defender/kicker, then bring on the more mercurial player to pull the tiring opposition apart in the last 15.

Ah this is very true and I take nothing away from the handling abilities of the props and second rows in the centre of the park!

My comment was more the effects of having two excellent distributors in the backline allows us to make the most of our strike runners in the 13/14/15/11 shirts! I suppose in this new game plan though it may not be necessary for a distributive 12 if the forwards are acting as a first receiver a lot of the time as the 10 then becomes a second receiver essentially a lot of the time anyways!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 11:55
I'd like us to go looking for more Rugby League Players. It would give us more to talk about in the off-season. Anyone know any good ones?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/cb2cb2/rainb03.jpg

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 12:00
I think the 2 fly-halves model is always a nice ideal, but in the hurly-burly of the first 40 minutes it doesn't always look so clever as it does in the final quarter. In essence, that's why the perfect 12 is just about the most elusive ideal in rugby union. It took England three entire World Cup cycles to settle on Farrell as the best bet since Woodward had the luxury of selecting Greenwood or Catt - two players whose only common characteristic was 'absolute class'. And even Faz isn't - to me - the perfect 12 (he's got everything other than a real turn of pace).

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 12:57
Quote:
Optimist
I think the 2 fly-halves model is always a nice ideal, but in the hurly-burly of the first 40 minutes it doesn't always look so clever as it does in the final quarter. In essence, that's why the perfect 12 is just about the most elusive ideal in rugby union.

Very true Optimist. For me SBW is the perfect 12 and I would cry with happiness if he decided to come and take some of Bruce's bucks before retirement.

A strong carrier, neat skills, strong defensively but also able to expand the game with wider passing abilities and offloading. A guy could only dream about his rugby man crush joining Bath though!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 00:36
If you take this post:

Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
I think Tigers made most of there signings about 2 months ago just haven't announced them yet.
1 Prem player
kalamafoni

2 Championship players in
Joe Ford and Jonah Holmes

Can only see MOC bringing at most 3 more players into the squad on top of that a couple of project signings (Apparently have Tongan player Mapapalangi on trial) and maybe a more established name somewhere else.

....and add it to this post:

Quote:
Optimist
Slightly ominous sounds line in Guardian:
"another Lion, Jonathan Joseph, who has been omitted from the matchday squad for the second week in a row and is not listed as injured. Not all is sweetness and light at the Rec"

....and add Watson:

I just hope it doesn't make what I think it could make. (Sm124) (Sm43)

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 07:22
Oh dear now we are in the realms of true speculation...I think that it's more likely that we are swapping him for Itoje, Jamie George and Ed Sheeran (for the half time entertainment).

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 08:54
Yes Matt, I've nothing to base it on, late night thought, I think paranoia has set in after this season shenanigans!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>