rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Team's Up!
05 May, 2017 11:00
Bath Rugby team to face Sale Sharks

15. Tom Homer

14. Matt Banahan

13. Max Clark

12. Ben Tapuai

11. Aled Brew

10. Rhys Priestland (co-capt)

9. Kahn Fotuali’i

1. Beno Obano

2. Chris Brooker

3. Shaun Knight

4. Elliott Stooke

5. Dave Attwood

6. Tom Ellis

7. Francois Louw (co-capt)

8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16. Ross Batty

17. Darryl Marfo

18. Kane Palma-Newport

19. Matt Garvey

20. Paul Grant

21. Chris Cook

22. George Ford

23. Robbie Fruean

by
by (IP Logged)

teams up
05 May, 2017 11:01
15. Tom Homer
14. Matt Banahan
13. Max Clark
12. Ben Tapuai
11. Aled Brew
10. Rhys Priestland (co-capt)
9. Kahn Fotuali’i
1. Beno Obano
2. Chris Brooker
3. Shaun Knight
4. Elliott Stooke
5. Dave Attwood
6. Tom Ellis
7. Francois Louw (co-capt)
8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements
16. Ross Batty
17. Darryl Marfo
18. Kane Palma-Newport
19. Matt Garvey
20. Paul Grant
21. Chris Cook
22. George Ford
23. Robbie Fruean

No Catt, Charteris or Watson - all injured.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

Re: Team's Up!
05 May, 2017 11:04
JJ injured?

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Other than front-row, which still feels a bit vulnerable, we suddenly have options - and players whose presence on the team-sheet brings a smile to your face - all over the place. Can the close-season hurry up and end!

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

Sale Sharks:
15. Mike Haley
14. Denny Solomona
13. Sam James
12. Johnny Leota
11. Byron McGuigan
10. AJ MacGinty
9. Mike Phillips

1. James Flynn
2. Rob Webber
3. Ross Harrison
4. Bryn Evans
5. Andrei Ostrikov
6. Ben Curry
7. Tom Curry
8. Josh Beaumont (c)

Replacements:
16. Cameron Neild
17. Jake Pope
18. Diogo Ferreira
19. George Nott
20. Magnus Lund
21. Peter Stringer
22. Mark Jennings
23. Josh Charnley

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 11:18
No Joseph again and not mentioned as being unavailable and what has happened to Denton, seems to have sunk right down the pecking order.

hipster1676
hipster1676 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 11:21
Quote:
Pie-Half
JJ injured?
not according to the Chronic. Tough on Zac Mercer though. They must think that Ellis' bulk is key to helping shore up the scrum

SteveCh
SteveCh (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 11:34
Match up between Brew and Solomona's probably the crucial one. If Brew can keep him quiet or restrict his carries over the gain line to single digit yards, then good chance of a strong win.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 11:53
Glad to see a similar backline to last week but it is a shame JJ, Watson and Roko all out. Hopefully Clark at least will be able to get out there and backup last weeks performance against another up and coming English centre in Sam James.

Would be interested to know whether JJ and Watson suddenly became available if we somehow did qualify for the semi's or whether this is Lions safeguarding perhaps..?

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 12:20
Is Denton leaving?

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 12:36
Untested front row, but otherwise happy with that team.

Stuart

Former ed.

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 13:02
That is not a good team!

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 13:22
Quote:
Humpo
That is not a good team!

It's by no means our worst team nor a bad team either though! Was enough to do the job over Gloucester last week after all!

by
by (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 14:06
Clark vs Sam James is going to be an interesting match up.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 14:19
It's the same backline as functioned extremely well against Glos, minus Watson, who didn't function very well against Glos. What's not to like?

If the Club are giving Watson and JJ a proper rest to get themselves in shape and avoid injury before Lions, then I really, really applaud that, and I would hope that the two players would appreciate it.

It's a fantastic back 5 of the pack; it's a deserved start for young Obano, while Knight has performed really well, and Brooker has done well considering how complex it is to walk in and learn the lineout calls.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 14:39
Quote:
Optimist
It's the same backline as functioned extremely well against Glos, minus Watson, who didn't function very well against Glos. What's not to like?
If the Club are giving Watson and JJ a proper rest to get themselves in shape and avoid injury before Lions, then I really, really applaud that, and I would hope that the two players would appreciate it.

It's a fantastic back 5 of the pack; it's a deserved start for young Obano, while Knight has performed really well, and Brooker has done well considering how complex it is to walk in and learn the lineout calls.

+ 1

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 14:41
Watson & J&J are being 'rested' because judging by their recent underwhelming performances they've needed it.
Had they been putting is stellar performances, I'm sure they would have been undroppable!

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 15:21
Blackadder had said JJ needed rest because he was 'pretty bashed up' after the 6N etc. Guess he is getting in best shape for the lions - besides which Clark looked bang on form last game.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 16:00
Rumour is that JJ and Denton are off, shame if true.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 16:13
Quote:
BathPatriot

rumour? any proof or bloke down the pub?

I see that Sale still love playing tricks - they said last week against Tigers that Harrison couldn't play tighthead so scrums went uncontested...guess where he is playing this week!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 16:22 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author

05 May, 2017 16:35
we have a strong bench, which might make the difference. We may actually beat Sale away for once.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 17:05
Quote:
BathPatriot
JJ signed up until at least 2019 last summer, so someone would have to negotiate with Bruce to get him. Denton could be out of contract if we only signed him for ~2 years, which would correspond with the end date of the player he replaced...

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 17:18
Slightly ominous sounds line in Guardian:

"another Lion, Jonathan Joseph, who has been omitted from the matchday squad for the second week in a row and is not listed as injured. Not all is sweetness and light at the Rec"

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 17:29
Quote:
Optimist
"another Lion, Jonathan Joseph, who has been omitted from the matchday squad for the second week in a row and is not listed as injured. Not all is sweetness and light at the Rec"

Give BC enough money and any of our players are available. Hope it's not true, but no smoke without fire. Might just be a matter of which PL club JJ wants to go to.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 17:46 by OutsideBath.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 18:39
Quote:
Optimist

Guardian making assumptions there i think, if it was a case of not playing someone who is leaving, Ford wouldn't have even seen the bench. Maybe he is still carrying a bit of a niggle that needs resting and the first Lions meet up is on Monday.

Cheers,

Rich

The Oilman
The Oilman (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 20:32
Quote:
Optimist

What does the Guardian know.....about anything?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 20:49
Why are we so obsessed on this site to believe that every player we have wants to leave Bath. Dare it be true and he is suffering from 6 nations and TB and the coaching team want to protect him for the lions or even the play offs.....

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 21:07
Because there isn't any real news so people love having an unsubstantiated gossip?

Bath Supporter Jack

05 May, 2017 21:51
It would not surprise me massively if JJ and Watson leave.

If we are really, really honest neither has been a major contributor this season........for a whole load of reasons.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 22:23
Quote:
Ali1969
Why are we so obsessed on this site to believe that every player we have wants to leave Bath. Dare it be true and he is suffering from 6 nations and TB and the coaching team want to protect him for the lions or even the play offs.....

Who's believing it? If there's a rumour why ignore? it. Report it. Dissect it. Dismiss it. Swallow it whole. Do what you want with it. George for Fred started as a rumour.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 22:30
George Ford wasn't really a spurious rumour it was information from Malco so it wasn't totally unverified.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

05 May, 2017 22:51
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
It would not surprise me massively if JJ and Watson leave.
If we are really, really honest neither has been a major contributor this season........for a whole load of reasons.

We'd have a hell of a job to find replacements who are as good,let alone better. I agree they've not set the place alight but they've been in & out of the team with injuries & international calls. Denton is also an asset. We need strength in depth.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 07:34
Quote:
Ali1969

Because the main aim for sport is to win trophies and Bath aren't remotely close to doing this. Coupled with losing our best player makes the rumour plausible.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 08:09
Could it have something to do with naked runs and fire extinguishers?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 08:36
Quote:
OutsideBath
Because the main aim for sport is to win trophies and Bath aren't remotely close to doing this.

5 minutes from a Euro final against a team we beat comfortably last week?

Inconsistent yes, but I don't agree with 'aren't remotely close'.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 08:51
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
OutsideBath
Because the main aim for sport is to win trophies and Bath aren't remotely close to doing this.

5 minutes from a Euro final against a team we beat comfortably last week?

Inconsistent yes, but I don't agree with 'aren't remotely close'.

I don't really count the challenge cup as a significant trophy.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 09:04
Quote:
OutsideBath
I don't really count the challenge cup as a significant trophy.

Well, that's another discussion. I will agree with you if Gloucester win it...

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 10:56
George Ford leaving was reported (substantially before Malco) on the Eggchasers pod last September. It's also obvious that it was directly triggered by Mike Ford leaving.

There is no actual rumour of JJ leaving. One person on a Worcester message board said it would be a nice idea for them to sign him. I suspect it's far more likely that he's being rested to recover for the Lions given we have a number of other centre options and are seriously unlikely to need him. Frankly I'm pleased to have a head coach who's actually rotating some players at last. We're way more likely to get value out of JJ next season by giving him some recovery time before the Lions tour.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 12:22
According to The Times he is injured.

PG

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

06 May, 2017 14:19
Bath Patriot has said "he's off" Unless he can substantiate this he should be (Sm123)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net