rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

2nd best defence in the league, but only 7th best attack
08 May, 2017 08:00
That's the story in the end.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: 2nd best defence in the league, but only 7th best attack
08 May, 2017 08:11
Which averages out at 4.5th place overall so no massive surprise that we were 5th with a sniff of 4th (lies and statistics I know but it fits quite nicely).

MESSAGES->author
CountryMike (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 08:32
Only Bristol (42) and Newcastle (51) scored fewer tries than Bath (52); Saints also scored 52.

Only Leicester (48) and Saracens (28!) conceded fewer tries than Bath (49).

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 08:50
Guardian says: "Only once before, in 1999-2000 when defences were much less organised, have more tries been scored overall during a 22-match regular season than the tally of 725 this year"

so, we're not exactly up with the programme. However, Blackadder does appear to be determined to play some attractive rugby, so I remain positive about next year's prospects.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 09:25
I imagine we would have scored more tries this year if we had been able to field a more coherent unit each week. With a little more continuity I see not reason why we can't do exactly this next year.

We also need to sort out this poor form away from home which seems to be killing us. I think Burns may be our finest signing in years potentially as we will see Bath able to play two ways..

1 - free flowing, fast paced running rugby at home with the crowd behind them or days when the weather is good

2 - territory based game where we take the points and grind a team down a little more for those tough away games and poor weather days.

With Ford's average kicking we could never have had that option but Burns seems to be a tremendously accurate kicker and as a result gives us some real options in the way we win a game!

by
by (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 09:54
We just need to tighten up our exits and first phase defence, you can't be a high scoring team if you are pinned in your 22 without the ball for the majority of the game.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 10:10
Quote:
Big Dog
I think Burns may be our finest signing in years potentially as we will see Bath able to play two ways..
With Ford's average kicking we could never have had that option

If Priestland can build on the form he showed in the Glos game, then I think that there will be little difference in quality whoever starts. Also have the option of starting with Rhys to err on the side of territory, and letting Freddie come on and open things up in the last 20. I just hope that Chris Cook can kick on, or that we can sign another 9 to mean that there is no drop-off when Kahn rests up.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 10:34
I'm concerned about Tapuai and 12. I'm not sure we know how to use him effectively. Assuming Fruean's off, I wonder if we want to go for a Banners/Clark type 12 with JJ/Taps at 13?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 10:39
I'm more concerned with Banahan's pace than anything else. I really don't see how he can remain on the wing much longer other than as an impact sub - teams will have seen the tapes now, and if he's starting they will be looking to leave him flat-footed. 12 might be the best option for Banners, because I do think that we need to have a 'heartbeat of the Club' kind of guy within that starting team. And if his blind pass to Watson at Twickenham is anything to go by, then it's not too late for him to be our SBW-lite (or heavy, as it were).

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 10:57
Maybe he could convert back to a Lock. Still has the size and his pace would be exceptional in the second row.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 11:42
Perhaps, if we had managed to hold on to the ball for a few seconds more, each time we got near the line, our try-count for would be much higher, considering the number of times it happened?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 12:49
For me I would hope that the opportunity from a full pre-season for the coaching team with relatively few absentees with England and Lions means they can really focus on the 80 minute game-plan we have only seen sporadically

In too many games and often for first 55 minutes it seemed the strategy was designed to contain and then open up for the last quarter - if Freddie starts at 10 I really can't see him buying into that approach

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 12:58
I'm not too concerned by this.

2nd best defence after we got such a hammering from Sarries and Wasps is to be admired.

At the same time, I'd like to think we can do a lot better against the Worcesters/Newcastles/Britol(Irish?) next season? Ought to bring our number of tries scored up immediately. Think those games really let us down.

Anthony Perenise [Bath Rugby] - Adopted Player 2017/18

Lee Bideaux
Armchair Fan (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 13:22
I like the defensive stats. Build on that with an improved attack and I will be happier still.

I like turtles.

by
by (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 14:08
Quote:
gaz59
For me I would hope that the opportunity from a full pre-season for the coaching team with relatively few absentees with England and Lions means they can really focus on the 80 minute game-plan we have only seen sporadically

This is it, during preseason we are going to have 2 pretty decent full teams going against each other, you couldn't ask for a better way of prepping the players.

My only concern is that we finish recruitment as soon as possible.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 15:32
Well young Ellis has to be a major reason for the defensive stats - head and shoulders above the rest of the Bath guys at 191 tackles (next was Stooke with 164) and it has paid off with an England session.

[www.bathrugby.com]

Amazing year for the lad and one of the real positives of the year.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 21:11
With the players at our disposal, that is a grim indictment.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 22:09
Quote:
Kidney Stone

Not happy for the lad then, just intent on finding a negative?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

08 May, 2017 23:00
Quote:
Kidney Stone

+ 1 although not always available, we have had 3 regular 6 Nations championship winners in our backlineb plus the outstanding Roko & Kahn. I realise that not all tries are scored by the backs but that showing is astonishingly bad from such a roster of players.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 May, 2017 06:25
As a matter of interest how has our much vaunted defence, which has seemed to let in soft tries in every match in the second half of the season, fared against the bottom 4 sides?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 May, 2017 06:52
Arguably our best defender was Kahn, way top of the turnover stats - there are other dimensions to a strong defence other than tackles made

Fuzzy Dunlop
Fuzzy Dunlop (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 09:05
In the first half of the season you had the joint 4th most potent attack with 28 tries. in the second half you were 11th with 24 tries, which is only 1 more than Bristol and 8 fewer than Sale in 10th. Bath were the only team to score less tries in the second half, with most teams improving considerably (405 total tries in the second half compared to 320).

Not great reading but with less injuries next year I think the rest of us are expecting to see the Bath from rounds 1-11 instead of the later version.

Edit: I only looked at tries, total points scored might tell a different story.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 10:07 by Fuzzy Dunlop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net