rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

World Cup draw 2019
10 May, 2017 10:01
England have drawn France and Argentina in their pool for the 2019 RWC, not the pool of death but not exactly an easy pool.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Re: World Cup draw 2019
10 May, 2017 10:22
Plus Americas 1 (USA or Canada) and Oceania 2 (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga)...

That is not an easy group at all BUT to be the best you've got to beat the best and so if we can't get out of that group we don't deserve to go further really anyways! Would certainly leave us in good stead to win that group as no easy games there at all!

The French could also of course capitulate or be tremendous who knows and Argentina we should have enough for even if they do provide a threat from all across the park!

Exciting times - can't wait already! Just want to put that 2015 RWC behind me asap (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 10:26
It could very easily be a pool of death by the time we get there. France have had a sudden outbreak of common sense, a competent coach and player access, whilst Argentina are improving year on year.

It's certainly the toughest group, and there's every chance that it'll contain 3 top 8 teams, which would certainly qualify as the pool of death.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 10:47
It's just tough luck really as of the Band 3 teams Argentina is certainly the best by a long out of them, Italy, Georgia and Japan!! Cruel luck but a testing group will force us to play good knockout rugby from the off!

I just hope we have Canada/USA first to warm us up and the first up game is not a necessary win against France or Argentina!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 10:55
That is about as bad as it could have got. How do the next rounds look?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 11:14
Does make the summer tour to Argentina a bit more interesting doesn't it. France is interesting they are definitely on the up and would be formidable in France tricky in Europe but in Japan I could see them being disorientated.

I really fancy Eddie will get the side ready and motivated in a way other countries will envy.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 11:40
Don't forget it will look daunting to the other teams as well. I can easily see all teams losing at least one game.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 13:07
It is the hardest group but with Eddie in charge we have a coach who can get the mindset right.

Argentina have players scattered around the world whereas France historically don't travel well.

BB&W 1865
BB&W 1865 (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 13:12
So England will need to beat Argentina or France on neutral ground to qualify for the q/f. I would suggest 90% chance of the former and 75% chance of the latter, therefore 97.5% chance of being in the q/f. Not really sure what the drama is!

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 13:14
I think tougher pool games are better really; Ireland always seem to get a easy draw, breeze through their group fixtures but have never won a quarter final.

We've also got a head coach who is very familiar with Japan and is extremely popular out there so I think we'll certainly have a good chance at getting the best training bases etc. He'll know how best to prepare and aclimatise our players and we already know that he won't accept failure and wants to win at all costs.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 13:27
A lot can change in 2 years. Mike Brown might complete a pass by then.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 19:55
Japan vs Scotland in Japan looks like the tie of the pool stage.

Stuart

Former ed.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

10 May, 2017 23:46
I wonder if Eddie might have taken a few more experienced heads to Argentina if he'd had the draw earlier? Coming home with a win or two would be very helpful, but the chances of that would have been enhanced for by a Wade here and a Ben Morgan there ahead of some of the teenagers who are more about 2023.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 07:40
Its a long way off but preparation nearer the time can be a conundrum, do you go all out to win big and build confidence or keep some of your best moves in the locker until it really counts.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 07:57
Yes, all out with as few injuries as possible, that is why Eddie is looking at so many players, he wants strength in depth to cover that approach.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 09:24
I still think Eddie might just have a cunning plan to introduce Wade at the last minute before the WC. Jason Robinson made such a big impact during his first 10 games and I could see Wade doing a similar thing. On form and talent he deserves a go, even if it to show us that he is too small and poor in defence. A tour to Argentina where he might not have seen a lot of ball would have answered some questions.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 09:44
Occam's razor says nay to that cb2. I think it's far more likely that Eddie has made a judgement call about Wade (as he appears to have done about Cipriani, Roko, Goode) and isn't going to change his mind.

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 11:27
Doesn't the increase in speed size and strength of international players 14yrs after Robinson's playing days mean that the comparison between him and Wade is becoming increasingly disconnected?

Just because JR at 1.73/81kg could handle it, doesn't mean Wade can too, as the game has moved on.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 11:58
So why does he score so many tries in the Premiership or is he playing in some sort of timewarp?

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 12:51
Because international rugby is way above the Premiership.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 13:19
Quote:
cb2
So why does he score so many tries in the Premiership or is he playing in some sort of timewarp?

Pace...difficult to beat, but Eddie likes his wingers to defend like back row forwards.

I'm not yet convinced he is right, Wales have got several similar wingers but Gatland goes the same route as Eddie. If Wales ever work out how to get the ball to them a few international sides will get stung.

As for Wade he will score tries at International level but he won't get the chance.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 13:48
He'd be a big target for cross-kicks.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

12 May, 2017 12:57
Until he is given a chance, then people cannot say that he would not be able to cope. He is playing against and with players who are doing a good job on the international front and he is performing as well as them. What more can he do?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 May, 2017 14:00
Nothing. But clearly Eddie's not going to pick him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net