rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

9215 (IP Logged)

Zach Mercer
11 May, 2017 00:02
RPA young player of the year.
Well done to him, richly deserved.
BBC

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Zach Mercer
11 May, 2017 03:06
Very well done Zach.

Now we must tie him to us contractwise and ensure he spends time learning his trade with the likes of Faletau of top class back row and number eight play.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 06:48
You mean like this BoB:

[m.bbc.co.uk]

Or get him to sign his eternal soul over to us so that he can NEVER leave?

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 07:36
Let's hope he gets the chance to play more games for the full side next season. Farrell and Itoje have blossomed through this but many others seem to show promise and then drift out of contention. I am looking for some serious game-time from him.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 08:17
Well done him.
Hope it makes up -in a small way- for missing out on Argentina.

Hope he gets a game or two in the AIs, but there will be lots of competition.

PG

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 10:35
Great news for him; and he really has stood out (IMO) in a really strong field for that award this year.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 10:51
I would have thought that the Currys, who played more and did get on the tour, were possibly stronger candidates.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 14:24
I think Zach Mercer probably got it over the Currys as he is playing in a team of big name players and has still stood out even alongside established company like Faletau, Louw etc. The Curry's are playing in a relatively weak Sale Sharks pack and although both very accomplished players may not have caught the eye in the same way.

Z Mercer did also captain England 20's to a grandslam too and was superb throughout that tournament.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 14:45
Is that the relatively weak Sale Sharks that beat us last week?

Yes, Zach has done well for sure but hasn't played that much after Christmas I would guess in prem games (I don't have the energy to find the stats).

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 16:16
Currys probably split their vote.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 May, 2017 18:04
Quote:
BathMatt53
Is that the relatively weak Sale Sharks that beat us last week?
Yes, Zach has done well for sure but hasn't played that much after Christmas I would guess in prem games (I don't have the energy to find the stats).

Weak pack I said! I wouldn't say they have any big names other than maybe Beaumont in their forward pack. This is not to say that makes them an entirely bad pack but when you are holding your own with established international players like Louw and Faletau people probably take bigger notice than when you are starting ahead of David Seymour and TJ Ioane (no disrespect meant to either of them who are fine players for this level).

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

12 May, 2017 09:18
Quote:
BathMatt53
I would have thought that the Currys, who played more and did get on the tour, were possibly stronger candidates.

Zach's fellow AP players didn't think the Curry's were stronger candidates! The players are teh ones who vote and Zach impressed them

David Sisi Adopted player 2016/17

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 May, 2017 10:06
He impressed me too. Looking at the list many of the candidates are quite 'old'!

To qualify for the RPA Young Player of the Year Award players must have been 23 or under at the start of the season.

Lozowski will be 24 next month. I didn't realise that Genge was on the list - and British Lion Ross Moriarty... I have to admit that I was thinking that they would have to be rookies.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

12 May, 2017 12:01
Quote:
BathMatt53
He impressed me too. Looking at the list many of the candidates are quite 'old'!
To qualify for the RPA Young Player of the Year Award players must have been 23 or under at the start of the season.

Lozowski will be 24 next month. I didn't realise that Genge was on the list - and British Lion Ross Moriarty... I have to admit that I was thinking that they would have to be rookies.
It was a ridiculously strong list this year.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

12 May, 2017 12:02
1st time I saw him player I remember he made a run to score in the corner, was just short and threw a lovely back door pass to keep it all alive. Such composure from one so young and a yard out. Thought then he was going to be good. Delighted to have him.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net