rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

bathsupporter
bathsupporter (IP Logged)

Tom Croft
15 May, 2017 12:00
Modern proffessional rugby is a harsh business, as Croft has found out in recent years. In his prime, fast and sharp, but now, plays water boy, due to injury and emergence of other such talents at Tigers. Fissler in the RP says he could be "surplus to requirements" at the club. Feel for the guy, have so much respect for him and hope he can find somewhere to finish his career off in style.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Tom Croft
15 May, 2017 12:34
On his day, when he was fit, there were few faster or more exciting back row. Great option in the lineout too.

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 12:36
He was the best winger in England a few years ago.

Thing is he actually could be very potent in a 2-4-2 system being on the wing a lot whilst also being able to clean out rucks and turn ball over. Although I think we're a bit crowded in the back row and second row which is where I'll think he'll move to. Plenty of clubs in the prem who could use him if he stays healthy and he might come pretty cheap too.

Tiger in the Bath
Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 12:37
Bath hasn't taken a semi retired player from Tigers for a while ...

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 13:02
Quote:
Tiger in the Bath
Bath hasn't taken a semi retired player from Tigers for a while ...

touché!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 13:20
Maybe he could have played wing and would not have had to carry around so much weight. James Forrester was a similar type and he also spent a lot of the time injured.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/cb2cb2/rainb03.jpg

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 13:28
I definitely wouldn't want him now unless someone had a time machine. Good in his day though (about 2009).

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 14:19
Quote:
BathMatt53
I definitely wouldn't want him now unless someone had a time machine. Good in his day though (about 2009).

+1 I remember rating he and Stephen Ferris as the two best blindsides in 2009!

Shame Croft's career has been so injury ravaged since then. In his peak would have fitted in beautifully with the 2-4-2 system a few teams have adopted recently! Imagine a Lions back row of Croft, Tipuric and Faletau all in their peak! The ball playing and speed in the wider channels would be seriously naughty!

I suppose we will have to be satisfied with Stander-Vunipola-Warburton. Or O'Mahony-Faletau-Tipuric. Or actually any combo of those guys would be bloody marvellous this summer...

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 18:49
Feels strange to be nearing the end of a season and for Tigers not to have 15+ players leaving

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 19:04
Quote:
ballsout
Feels strange to be nearing the end of a season and for Tigers not to have 15+ players leaving

Ah, that old chestnut. In fact I think that they have the fewest at 6 or so? We don't even know how many we have leaving as out club doesn't let anyone know!

Besides, Worcester and Bristol have more than made up for the entire rest of the league...

incastrowetrust
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)

15 May, 2017 22:25
Quote:
ballsout

For now.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 11:03
whats a 2-4-2 system?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 11:06
Good analysis of 2-4-2 from The 42

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 12:12
ok, got it cheers Hasta.

blimey, its all gotten very complicated hasnt it!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:19
Yup! I find it fascinating - no doubt a response to the substantial improvements in defensive systems from 2000-2011.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:25
Quote:
Ade1865
whats a 2-4-2 system?

It's like a 4-4-2 but less diving...

No it's essentially just splitting your forward pack on the pitch. Depends on your forward pack having strong core skill sets though and so won't be for every team but you could see us using it at times last year especially in that Gloucester game where we had Charteris, Catt, Stooke handling greatly in midfield with Batty and the back row in the wider channels.

Enables you to retain the ball quite a lot too as not dependent on backs clearing rucks on their own, though at pro level this obviously matters little as they are all capable too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>