rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

Blackadder' summary
16 May, 2017 08:27
Todd has clearly enjoyed his first season with us & is confident for the future. He acknowledges inconsistency has plagued us & said the squad was upset not to make the top 4. I expect the DORs of Quins, Saints & maybe Gloucester are saying much the same thing. I can see a deja vu situation next season with Sarries the strongest squad followed by Wasps with Exeter the most productive & best coached team making up the top 3. The rest of us plus Leicester will probably be scrambling for the remaining top 4/6 slots. No-one can predict how it will pan out which probably makes things more exciting though unsettling for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2017 08:29 by Bath Hammer.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Blackadder' summary
16 May, 2017 10:09
2 years ago, we were - in my opinion - the best team in the AV. We got to the Premiership final in style. If Farrell had been issued with the yellow card he deserved, and if Watson had been substituted rather than walking around in a daze, it's far from difficult to imagine that we'd have beaten Sarries that day. I'm not suggesting that we would be where they are now if that had happened, because they were on a much better defined path to the greatness they've now achieved. They are now on a different planet to the rest, and could conceivably have 6 players in the Lions starting XV, and they'll remain at the pinnacle for some time to come. But I see no reason why we can't be on the second row of the grid alongside Wasps and Exeter next year. There's fine margins between what they've achieved and where we are. We've got Champions Cup next year, which i'm hoping will facilitate the recruitment of 2 or 3 high-class additions to the squad, and could make up that difference.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 10:35
That might be possible Opimist, but won't the other teams I mentioned be thinking exactly the same thing? We feel, with some justification, that we have a team brimful of talent & potential but are we significantly better than our rivals on a man for man basis? We also know, except for BoB, the importance of coaching. It's too early to judge how good our coaching team is based on this season.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 10:59
There were quite a few rumblings that things weren't exactly all sunshine and roses even when we were playing great rugby two years ago.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 11:42
It's a valiant attempt at a thread to get us all talking now that the season is over, but it's destined to end up with: tbc

We just can't know. I just feel confident that we will be a more consistent outfit next season, and that our luck with injuries has to change. No-one in professional sport is permitted to make excuses - it just doesn't work that way. But the fact is, the sheer volume of injuries we had would have undermined any team - even Sarries - this season.

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 13:23
Agree and disagree Opti, we played the best rugby of anyone that year OPti but I think there were many cracks that were papered over.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:03
I think man for man we certainly have a better overall squad than Tigers, Quins, Saints and Gloucester.

Saints will come hard for top 4 next year though I expect as have recruited seemingly very well thus far and Tigers are due to announce some signings at the end of the year. Where they are playing we don't currently know but Matt O'Connor said out of decency for their current clubs who are still playing fixtures he won't announce til end of the year. On that basis we can presume they are play off teams or Super rugby teams perhaps.

I expect the top 4 to be even harder to achieve next year as a result BUT I am not so sure that the top 3 this year will be so comfortably top like they have been this year and so I do really think it will be an open wide game tbh.

Sarries may well feel the consequences of the Lions tour imo and there's nothing to say Exeter and Wasps will be able to maintain their form. All it takes is a couple of injuries after all to key players. If Steenson or Waldrom for example was injured for Exe or Launchbury or Wade etc Wasps for extended periods...

by
by (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:16
Saints may lose Picamoles over the summer which would see severely hamper their chances of making the top 6.

Exeter have played a large portion of this season without Waldrom and Steenson, I think they'll still be in the top 4.

Wasps may have a bit of a drop off, I don't think they've recruited well so far for next season and how much longer can they rely on individual brilliance.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:16
Saints are losing Picamoles though - and currently a lot of depth too.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:23
Wasps losing Beale will be a big impact for them.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:27
If someone has the time it would be interesting to do a comparison between the most likely starting 15's of each of those teams, as they now stand, & giving each a mark out of 10. It would be time consuming & subjective but I've seen far longer exercises undertaken & it would be quite illuminating. It might also inform us as to how good we really are (Sm56)

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 14:31
Saints are not confirmed as losing Picamoles JUST YET and they have recruited well enough elsewhere that I am not sure this will hamper them in the same way it did this year in the games he didn't play. Mitch Eadie and Rob Horne will add nicely to their ranks whilst Reinach and Piers Francis are too excellent half back signings to speed up their tempo in attack nicely. If they find a good shape they could be less reliant on Picamoles brilliance and could be a useful outfit.

Wasps will certainly struggle more next year I believe. With Gopperth one year older and Beale leaving I think we could see them drop off a little next year - though not enough to miss out on top 4 I'd expect. They will be a bit further found out though and when teams have worked their attack out I think we could see them lose a few games they have won this year as they do concede a hell of a lot of points too.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

16 May, 2017 21:18
That's about as effusive as you have seen TB get all season. He appears to have a very controlled attitude to his work and seems to let all around him express themselves in their own ways. I like that.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 10:36
"With Gopperth one year older and Beale leaving I think we could see them drop off a little next year"

I want to feel optimistic that we can overtake Wasps - but even if Gopperth drops off I think Cipriani will relish the chance to exercise more control. I had assumed Cips would be off to France with his England prospects reduced to minus zero, but - am i imagining it? or is that path becoming a bit less trodden?

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 11:25
Quote:
Optimist
"With Gopperth one year older and Beale leaving I think we could see them drop off a little next year"
I want to feel optimistic that we can overtake Wasps - but even if Gopperth drops off I think Cipriani will relish the chance to exercise more control. I had assumed Cips would be off to France with his England prospects reduced to minus zero, but - am i imagining it? or is that path becoming a bit less trodden?

Cipriani though I always still feel is prone to one error a game or so which leads to an opposition score, whether that be 3 or more points! If Gopperth drops off then the additional decision making it puts on Cipriani could be his downfall... I won't hold my breath on Wasps becoming bad suddenly though!

I do certainly get the impression less British players are interested about going to France at the moment. Charteris returned. Faletau wasn't drawn over there despite presumably good offers.

Jonathan Davies came back, Sexton too and Flood is coming back. Halfpenny wants to return etc.

Whilst I don't doubt that some French clubs are run excellently and in a professional manner - I do get the impression that some, even some of the top ones, are not and rely more on the individual talent of players which will not suit everyone but perhaps explains the french leagues continued interest in recruiting the best SH players they can to just make magic happen.

I suppose the success of Northern hemisphere international rugby keeps the top players interested in representing their countries for longer plus the increased revenue in Aviva Prem etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2017 11:27 by Big Dog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>