rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
VinceJ
VinceJ (IP Logged)

Todd looking for 6/7 new players for next season
17 May, 2017 11:39
From the Chron

Great news

VinceJ
VinceJ (IP Logged)

Re: Todd looking for 6/7 new players for next season
17 May, 2017 11:41
Picked this up while waiting for a flight at Heathrow so wanted to get it out. As has been discussed on other threads TH Big Centre are on his list. Also reference to a big lock.

Leave it to you all to pick over I'm off to Philadelphia!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 12:01
The most telling bit of the article:

"Bath Rugby season ticket holders have until Monday, May 29 to renew for next season."

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 12:13
That has to be quite devastating and exciting!

It would be very interesting to understand the planning processes by which players are now identified as to be attractive to the overall strategy being put in place.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 12:59
No history of chronic injuries and no history of mindlessly kicking the ball away to the opposition would be a start.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 13:20
Super excited as he makes reference to two key signings, hopefully being the TH prop and IC which we've all dreamed about on previous threads. Another lock and a few more faces ought to leave us in a pretty good shape for next season.

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 14:19
I still worry about the drop-off between our first choice 9 and any of the next 3 candidates. Next year, we'll want Kahn starting every Champions Cup game, which could well mean that he'll be rested the week before. It's not even as if any of the 3 are impact subs like Joe Simpson or Ben Spencer. They are subs.

I'd love it if Cook could step up to that, but then I've been saying that for 5 years.

Homer could possibly step up to 'impact sub', but starter? Not sure.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 14:22
Interesting!

And now we speculate wait...

bathsupporter
bathsupporter (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 15:50
"Big centre"..... Hurrell, De Jongh, Fekitoa? Currently licking lips...

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 15:58
Rohan Janse van Rensburg?

bathsupporter

17 May, 2017 16:13
Rumours will come and go and the worst part is when announced he won't be who we expected! Rohan Janse Van Rensburg is great player but he is currently out for 3 months with serious injury and I don't see him moving away from SA for next season. But who knows.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 16:19
Just to be clear, the 'rumour' about RJvR is me naming a good centre.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 17:14
RJvR was linked with us last season IIRC?

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 17:22
That's a pretty good start for the right criteria cb2.

Do you think that TB had an interchange with Bruce before he spoke?
"How much have we got left in the piggy bank Bruce?"

The input to sign 6/7 top-class players (who are not injury prone!) at the right price on acceptable contracts must be considerable.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 17:43
I'm getting the feeling it's two top class players (Wilson and Fruean replacements) plus 4/5 squad players which might include some we've already got on temporary contracts so not massive .

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

charlieboa
charlieboa (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 17:43
I think frans malherbe was a tight head malco mentioned months ago? Said he wasn't our number one target though from memory....

bathsupporter

17 May, 2017 17:45
Quote:
hasta

Yes sorry! Though most rumours start out similarly!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 19:46
TH and centre? It all seems too convenient to me - Todd has clearly been reading the forum and picking up tips.

jayeatman - who do we even have on temporary contracts? Isn't it just Grant left?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 19:50
Quote:
Rawce
RJvR was linked with us last season IIRC?

Err... may have been me again then!

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 20:44
Quote:
hasta

Fissler will be reporting a Bath source as saying RJvR is on his way to Bath in 3,2,1 ...

by
by (IP Logged)

17 May, 2017 22:29
I'd love to see someone like Crotty or Teo, or any English up and comer whose hungry for success. But it's probably going to be a SA or Aussie with the way their teams are currently performing in super rugby. Chronicle tipped Venter or Allende, both would be welcomed additions in my eyes.

Also is Franks coming out of contract with London Irish?

bathsupporter

17 May, 2017 22:38
My understanding is Franks is coming about of contract.... fissler hasn't reported a Bath rumour for months!

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 07:59
As with Opti, the back-up for Kahn is a real worry. Whether through rest-period or from injury the gulf between Kahn and the No2 [whoever that is?] in line is worrying. Surely Todd and the rest must see this?

This is a great opportunity for a real top talent to understudy for a season, possibly [like Zac] get thrown an earlier than expected opportunity and then make the starting 9 shirt his own for next season with Kahn the mentor and impact sub

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 09:14
Quote:
gaz59
As with Opti, the back-up for Kahn is a real worry. Whether through rest-period or from injury the gulf between Kahn and the No2 [whoever that is?] in line is worrying. Surely Todd and the rest must see this?
This is a great opportunity for a real top talent to understudy for a season, possibly [like Zac] get thrown an earlier than expected opportunity and then make the starting 9 shirt his own for next season with Kahn the mentor and impact sub

I think we all realise that scrum half is a key position and cover is thin, the fact that Todd hasn't highlighted in in the Chron article doesn't mean he is not aware. He probably has cover in mind, the question is what degree of quality is he considering?

I know many on here like Cook and his size I think has been used as part of a selection policy to cover for George Fords speed bump tackling, however, I feel with such strength in the back row now in Faletau, Louw, Underhill, Garvey and Elllis we have to look for a 9 who simply provides fast ball.

I know he is home grown but I would like to see him move on to refresh that position like others on here and agree its an issue. I just hope Todd has a surprise in store for us.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 09:33
"I just hope Todd has a surprise in store for us"

i'd still like it if the 'surprise' were that, with a full pre-season to work on Cook and Homer, TB thinks he can bring one of them up to starter status.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 09:50
Quote:
by
I'd love to see someone like Crotty or Teo, or any English up and comer whose hungry for success. But it's probably going to be a SA or Aussie with the way their teams are currently performing in super rugby. Chronicle tipped Venter or Allende, both would be welcomed additions in my eyes.
Also is Franks coming out of contract with London Irish?

Franks definitely rumoured to be interesting Bath. Would be great to have him on board!

Would like de Allende at the Rec! He's a top centre when in a bit of form and I feel would work nicely with Burns/RP and JJ in midfield!

by
by (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 10:57
Personally I just think Cook lacks confidence, similarly to T. Homer, both of them have the ability but seem to prefer to give the ball to someone else.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 10:59
Given SA are losing two Super Rugby franchises, I think we can be fair in assuming there will be a bit of a saffer influx to the prem next season.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 11:46
LI are nailed on for promotion too, so would be odd if Franks were to see them through a season in Div 2 and then jump ship in time for the AV. May have been under contract, but likewise would have been an odd contract that didn't have a get-out clause for relegation.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 12:04
Quote:
BathMatt53
TH and centre? It all seems too convenient to me - Todd has clearly been reading the forum and picking up tips.
jayeatman - who do we even have on temporary contracts? Isn't it just Grant left?

TBH as the season is now over for us, the answer is none! I've lost track of who was originally on temporary but has now been extended:

Allinson - Y
Fruean - N
Brew - Y
Wilson - ?
Philips - ?
Grant - ?
Brooker - N
Charles - N
Graham - Y
Knight - Y
Nixon - Y
Marfo - N

And then there's question marks over Jeff Williams and Guy Mercer getting new contracts. I guess if he's looking for that many now players, it's looking less likely.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 12:08
Quote:
Optimist
LI are nailed on for promotion too, so would be odd if Franks were to see them through a season in Div 2 and then jump ship in time for the AV. May have been under contract, but likewise would have been an odd contract that didn't have a get-out clause for relegation.

I would be surprised too but I am not sure what length contract he originally signed on to. He has been there 2 years now has he not?

The NH clubs are becoming pretty savvy when it comes to contracts and getting these big southern hemisphere names in.

Bristol are going to get Steven Luatua and Ian Madigan regardless of the fact they've been relegated to the Championship.

I also saw an interesting article on Whetu Douglas who was playing some exceptional rugby for the NZ franchise the Crusaders at the start of the year. He signed to Treviso and then signed a short term deal for the Saders to cover a Kieren Read injury, started playing really well but then was unable to get out of the Treviso contract due to some pretty binding stuff in it forcing him to honour it.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

by
by (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 12:14
@jayeatman

Think Wilson extended, Philips is still on trial and I believe that Grant is in negotiations.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 12:19
Quote:
by
@jayeatman
Think Wilson extended, Philips is still on trial and I believe that Grant is in negotiations.

Wilson extended definitely.

Hoping Grant and Philips do actually as impressed by what I saw of both, particularly Grant who is a very mobile back row option and around when Faletau not in Autumns and 6 Nations.

Has Graham the hooker signed on? Saw that he was a Y in the list above but I thought with Batty, Dunn, Walker and Van Vuuren we were covered there (presuming 3/4 not injured again next year)...

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 12:48
Don't trust anything I write!
It's only a distillation of what others have written on ere.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 13:00
LI need the best part of a whole new squad, if they don't want to do a Bristol. They will be shopping in the same store with more salary cap to spare but no European Cup. I see us needing quality and not quantity. A starting prop and hooker, a young 9 with real potential, a bosh centre and a skillful centre/FH/FB (Slade would be the dream). In fact, Exeter have all of these players but why would they move to us?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 13:18
I thought there was a growing consensus during mid season that we needed more solid professionals to cope with the injury churn rather than big stars?

Players who will not get international call ups and distractions?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 13:37
I certainly don't think that we need a hooker as a priority assuming that Walker and Dunn are fit and firing CB2. A nasty lock would be on my list above that.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 13:44
I'd have:

Centre
TH
Lock
Back three
Another centre
Scrum half

ahead of Hooker on recruitment.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 13:56
Quote:
B4thB4ck
I thought there was a growing consensus during mid season that we needed more solid professionals to cope with the injury churn rather than big stars?

I think we've got the quantity sorted now haven't we? Squad is closer to 40. It's the icing that's needed now.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 14:52
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
B4thB4ck

I think we've got the quantity sorted now haven't we? Squad is closer to 40. It's the icing that's needed now.

I'd agree. Would be happy with just 2 or 3 more signings if they were a top TH, a centre and a scrum half. Feel pretty happy with options elsewhere in the squad though maybe one more second row wouldn't go amiss as Ewels, Attwood, Charteris and Stooke are 4 terrific options with perhaps only Sarries having better stock than us in the row but if one or more gets an injury we would struggle potentially.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 15:01
... aside from anything, as this season has proved, you can pick up a journeyman at any given moment if you need one.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 15:01
Quote:
Optimist
"I just hope Todd has a surprise in store for us"
i'd still like it if the 'surprise' were that, with a full pre-season to work on Cook and Homer, TB thinks he can bring one of them up to starter status.

In the ideal world I guess you are right, but how many seasons do you need to break through? In the words of an American songwriter, "the strong give up and move on and the weak give up and stay" I think he needs to move on for the sake of both CC the player and the club.

What is clear though and pleasing to see is that TB has a clear vision for the future, his signing next year will be interesting, he must also have midfield plans or he wouldn't have let RF go.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 15:22
Not sure he had much choice on RF Shipwrecked - he was out of contract... Better money spent on someone not away with the 7s.

Chris Cook is 26 now, surely 'it' has to happen this season (or not at all)? I actually think that Will Homer has the potential to go all the way, particularly as he is 21.

As an aside, I wonder if Freddie will play at 15 at all for us this year as he has done for Tigers? I was thinking this whilst watching Goode at 15 in the recent games - having those kicking and playmaking skills from 15 makes quite a difference (when compared with AW, for example). Of course for Wasps Beale has the speed and the skills, which I guess is why he is on so much cash. I guess this would influence the make-up of the squad and targets to a degree, if for example FB is almost entirely a 10 and AW almost entirely a wing. I am looking forward to it all coming out in the wash!

by
by (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 15:22
Quote:
Optimist
... aside from anything, as this season has proved, you can pick up a journeyman at any given moment if you need one.

From the interview it sounds like an expensive/ineffective way to do it.

bathsupporter

18 May, 2017 15:55
I thought Jan Serfontein was interesting a number of clubs in Europe, murmurs say France, heard no words regarding De Allende far as I am aware still contracted until beyond end of current season, though not entirely sure? Would be top pick Teo closely following in 2

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 16:32
Four Bens would turn us into title challengers...

Bn Franks
Ebn Etzebeth
Bn Te'o
Bn Smith

No idea how we would afford them, but it's fun to dream!

Adopted Player 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 16:59
What a great theme for a song

Four Bens in our shirt - never stopped me dreaming

Its coming home, its coming home ....

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 17:10
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
B4thB4ck

Mmmm... cake...

What I meant was players just under international standard, so a Ben Teo level would be perhaps aiming too high if that was the approach.

Some might say an Exeter type squad, so they would need to 'want it' too :-)

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 18:37
Etzebeth is the boy for me. Young, hard as nails, rough tough and mobile. Strength of an Ox and looks plain nasty. Just what we need in our baby faced pack.

Still need a strong.experienced tight head and another centre.

Scrum Half needs bolstering unless Cookie or Homer really shine and make the subs shirt regularly their own. Allinson is a lightweight and should go.

Nick4219
Nick4219 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 19:12
Franks has another year on his Irish contract and could have left after relegation.

I don't think he will leave if Irish go up on Wednesday!

I'm looking forward to an away day in Bath again!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 20:35
"From the interview it sounds like an expensive/ineffective way to do it."

Don't we insure players against injury? In which case it's more expensive to have players say on their @#$%& just in case. Likewise, in terms of the cap, it's more efficient, as you get the injury allowance.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2017 21:03
TB made reference to having a unit in the Centre. With Stade Francais in the mess they are what about Jonathan Danty? He certainly fits the bill. Etzebeth would be a great signing and possibly Samson Lee as the TH really under rated imho.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 07:32
Etzebeth is awesome but he is a 4 and Todd said that he wants a tighthead lock (to go with Stooke and Attwood).

There was talk of Etzebeth being capable of covering 5 for a bit (but he isn't really a 5). Personally I would be happy with him and Ewels at 4 but then I'm in the 'not being blown away by Charteris' camp.

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 09:00
Ali it may just be me but Samson Lee hasn't looked teh same since his injury, a ruptured achillies dosen't make you stronger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 10:06
Quote:
BathMatt53
Etzebeth is awesome but he is a 4 and Todd said that he wants a tighthead lock (to go with Stooke and Attwood).
There was talk of Etzebeth being capable of covering 5 for a bit (but he isn't really a 5). Personally I would be happy with him and Ewels at 4 but then I'm in the 'not being blown away by Charteris' camp.

'not being blown away by Charteris' camp???

I would have thought that's a permanent settlement now :-)

Can anyone remember him having 2 good games in a row?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 10:14
Quote:
DanWiley
"From the interview it sounds like an expensive/ineffective way to do it."
Don't we insure players against injury? In which case it's more expensive to have players say on their @#$%& just in case. Likewise, in terms of the cap, it's more efficient, as you get the injury allowance.

That assumes that players can just be swapped in and out perfectly like machine parts. This, I would content, is not true. You'll also pay a premium for a mid-season signing because the supply is lower and the quality isn't there either.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 10:42
"You'll also pay a premium for a mid-season signing because the supply is lower and the quality isn't there either"

But with a bit of luck we won't actually have to make mid-season signings. It might well have been cheaper in some ways to sign 12 hookers last June, but you can't actually predict which particular position is going to get the sign on it.

I'd have thought that pulling off decent mid-season signings is an essential part of the management skill-set these days.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:30
I agree that pulling off some mid-season signings is a necessary skill, but planning for it to be 2-3 rather than 8-12 is more essential. There's an inherently greater risk, cost and a shallower talent pool for mid-season signings.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:48
I think its swings and roundabouts, I don't think having a large nebulous squad is good either.

I don't think you can assume that a player who has sat on his @#$%& most of the last few seasons is in a position to be "swapped in and out perfectly like machine parts" either, they certainly won't be of the quality.

" You'll also pay a premium for a mid-season signing because the supply is lower and the quality isn't there either."

The quality you can get, when you can sign a like for like replacement, is much higher than the quality you can get from some also ran squad members.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 11:54
I'm not sure that's true. I'm not looking for a squad of 60 players, nor am I suggesting you can cover every eventuality. Put you can have control over players fitness, their knowledge of the rest of the squad and the systems, you can rotate effectively, you can use United games and you can loan players out.

I don't think Mike Ford can do that effectively, but I've a lot more faith in Blackadder managing it.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 12:34
Quote:
hasta
I'm not sure that's true. I'm not looking for a squad of 60 players, nor am I suggesting you can cover every eventuality. Put you can have control over players fitness, their knowledge of the rest of the squad and the systems, you can rotate effectively, you can use United games and you can loan players out.
I don't think Mike Ford can do that effectively, but I've a lot more faith in Blackadder managing it.

You mean like all of the top 3 this season?

The fact that we have had to call off A league games because of a lack of numbers over the last few years indicates to me that we are a few short. Sarries etc. lose more to internationals but they still managed to get a team on the field.

Besides I'm sure that everyone would agree that there are 'utility' positions within which people may not excel but they can cover (like our inside centre issues this season and winger) vs. those key positions where you need a few specialists, such as hooker and scrum half. You can never account for multiple specialists out though, so mid season recruitment (hooker for us, scrum half for exe, lock for sarries) will always be needed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:35
I agree with you BathMatt53

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:36
Surely we have enough quality second row cover?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 13:49
Quote:
cb2
Surely we have enough quality second row cover?

Not according to Todd.

Whether Levi Douglas comes through this year could make a big difference. Also depends whether they see Garvey as a nailed on blindside. If both of those are a no then don't we only have 2 no. 4s and 2 no. 5s? One injury or call up and we would be in trouble covering an entire season of games.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 14:47
Quote:
DanWiley
I think its swings and roundabouts, I don't think having a large nebulous squad is good either.
I don't think you can assume that a player who has sat on his @#$%& most of the last few seasons is in a position to be "swapped in and out perfectly like machine parts" either, they certainly won't be of the same quality.

Rotation !!!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 14:53
You can rotate a couple of players per position (3 for 1,2,3,9), no one I know of is suggesting having fewer players than that. Could you really meaningfully rotate a 3rd player per position?

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 15:06
Quote:
bathsupporter
My understanding is Franks is coming about of contract.... fissler hasn't reported a Bath rumour for months!

Back in March, Fissler suggested that Harlequins were leading the race to sign Fekitoa*. Would love to have him; he has the potential to be as much of a catalyst as Charles Piutau has been for Wasps and Munster.

De Allende only returned to full-training at the beginning of this month. Great run of form before he took the knock and a while ago he would have been my first choice - but I feel like he is a somewhat similar player to Max Clarke (albeit more experienced).

My first choice at 12 would be Fekitoa. No real injury record and, playing outside of NZ, would be 100% committed to the Bath cause. He offers something very different to our other options and at his age, should really be coming into his prime.

*I believe what was insinuated was that Cardiff had made an attempt to sign Jamie Roberts and if that happens, Quins will look to bring in Fekitoa as a replacement.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 15:07
Quote:
DanWiley
You can rotate a couple of players per position (3 for 1,2,3,9), no one I know of is suggesting having fewer players than that. Could you really meaningfully rotate a 3rd player per position?

Yes! Two hookers will play every match, then if you have an AW game or A team game are you going to use one of them for that as well? Then hope you have no injuries... I am glad we have 4 hookers, fewer would mean trouble (even if last season was attritional).

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 15:53
i'd hope that the lesson of this season - with Ellis, Mercer, Clark, Dunn - is to put some faith in your Academy players rather than fishing around for anyone with a SH accent.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 16:00
Douglas and Davis look prospects too. Adam Hastings, Rory Jennings, hmmmm.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 16:06
Our academy is a bit thin TBH, definitely need half a dozen new prospects coming through over the next few years. Partington, Bayliss and Oghre look promising.

Levi Douglas will be 22 soon so would like to see him start to come though if possible this season. Atkins is 20 so a bit of time left for him and Rory Jennings (21)?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 16:46
Yes - I had a little scroll through it, and it does look distinctly thin. 13 in total listed - 2 of them are already fairly established (Obano, Davies). 2 of them are off(Hastings, Oghre I believe) and Championship beckons for 2-3 more. Hopefully the Beechen Cliff production line will start to feed through in a year or so.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

19 May, 2017 16:57
Any idea where Oghre is off to Opti? Hadn't heard about this.

Thought of him as a really good prospect and considered him coming off the bench this season in at least LV and maybe starting A-League fixtures.

Samwell
Samwell (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 02:55
Putting 2 and 2 together to get 5, but seems like all of us and Blackadder agree that we need another centre, potentially a more physical type, rather than a Tapaui playmaker.

I notice that Francis Saili is being released from Munster and he rather fits the bill. Wonder if Todd has had a little word in his ear? I always really rated him at the Blues and I was amazed when I saw he'd given up a shot at the AB shirt to come abroad, as where he fellow countrymen. Haven't seen him play too many times at Munster, but he appears to be well rated by their fans and they are gutted to see him go - was MOM in the semi last week.

Still really young at 26, but I wonder if it will be difficult to get a work permit and/or get into the matchday squad - unless he has a european wife/mum?

Samwell
Samwell (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 02:58
Having said all of that, a quick twitter search says Quins might be signing him. But you guys seems to think they are signing Fekitoa. Surely they aren't signing both, so maybe a NZ centre confusion

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 07:23
I think that there is a chain reaction which depends on Roberts staying or going? He says that he is staying which could mean that Quins don't need another big 12 (especially an expensive one).

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

22 May, 2017 09:32
I think Francis Saili would be a great signing for us if we could pull it off. Not sure he'd have an issue with Visa etc as I believe he has All Black caps does he not?

noidea
noidea (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 11:21
Rohan Janse van Rensburg would definitely be on my radar, would work well with JJ, certainly fits the bill of big, fast, strong 12.
Admittedly injured at present, but may be tempted to move overseas, especially as he & his family got carjacked last month.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 11:49
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Etzebeth is the boy for me. Young, hard as nails, rough tough and mobile. Strength of an Ox and looks plain nasty. Just what we need in our baby faced pack.

Except he is away with the International team a third of the season and would be banned the other third. I don't see NH refs being as lenient on his fairly regular punches in scuffles as they are in super rugby. I think de Jager is a better prospect in that regard wouldn't be quite as expensive, looks baby-faced but is very strong and is great at the lineout and in open field.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

24 May, 2017 22:38
Have you seen that clip of Etzebeth literally throwing De Jager to the floor?
Dude is STRONG! :-0

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2017 22:39 by Danchinho.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 May, 2017 06:58
Speaking of punching I see that Ben Franks and Bath old boy Charlie Beech were sent off last night for getting over excited in the playoff final...

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

08 June, 2017 19:26
Has anyone heard anything about who the players could be that Todd wants to sign?
Grant has signed and Denton has left since this, so is Grant one of the 6 /7 or a straight, but cheaper replacement for Denton?
Still no announcement about Fruean by Edinburgh, could that mean he is staying with us?
Or are we just waiting for some New Zealanders to have played the Lions before they announce they are heading north?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

08 June, 2017 20:50
I very much hope Fruean stays. He's exactly what we need at 12 (as long as he can stay fit).

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 00:31
Not exactly what we need if he is off with the 7s...what we need first and foremost is someone who is available, not someone injured or off elsewhere. Hurrell, for example.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 08:34
IMHO Fruean has burned his bridges.

We do not need another player who puts his own position and goals ahead of his club's.
He was crocked when he arrived and has benefited greatly by Bath "putting him back together".
Instead of showing gratitude for this support he now expresses very self-centred goals.
If his wavering is holding up the signing of another player then this immediately handicaps Bath moving on especially when pre-season is so imminent.

Sure, nothing in contracting players can avoid personal wishes and goals, but the Club has to learn lessons from a lot of recent experience in this regard.

I personally would rather see Fruean discarded now which would free-up the Club's need to appoint a fully commited player.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 08:54
Can we change the title of this thread to 7/8, in light of this mornings new about Tom Ellis' injury (7-9 months out - looking for a replacement).

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 09:06
Geez we have not done well from our players training with England! An AW broken jaw and now one our young upstarts is out for most if not all of next season it sounds like!!

At least we have a strong back row with Faletau, Garvey, Louw, Underhill and Z.Mercer hopefully all fit with Grant and G.Mercer also option but could have done with keeping Sisi on now it looks like I think to cover 6. Let's hope JJ, AW, Faletau and Ewels don't pick up any bangs over the course of this month!

I personally think we still need a good quality 12, a tighthead and 9 brought in. Not sure where else we need players to fit into Todd's 6/7 players needed. Maybe back three?

ELT
ELT (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 10:40
Terrible news for Tom. I guess he could be back by January if the rehab goes well.

I don't think we need reinforcements at this stage, though. Zac Mercer made his breakthrough last year on the back of injuries; this might be a similar opportunity for Josh Bayliss, who is a very good prospect. Grant and Underhill can also provide cover at 6 if anything happens to Matt Garvey.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 11:31
Oh dear spoke too soon, Fruean signs for Edinburgh

[www.bathrugby.com]

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 11:59
Hopefully an announcement to counter the loss of Fruean is imminent? Good luck to Robbie for his club and country ambitions, I'd have been happy to see him stay on our books, but he was under no obligation to us.

Edited for poor spelling...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 13:16 by Rawce.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 12:01
Well at least we now have certainty about Fruean. It would be nice to celebrate his contribution to Bath but that is a difficult thing to put into context.

The news about Tom Ellis is (yet another) injury blow.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 12:02
Quote:
Rawce
Hopefully an announcement to counter the loss of Fruean is imminent? Good luck to Robbie for his club and country ambitions, I'd have been happy to seem him on our books, but he was under no obligation to us.

+1 Good Luck - Hope to see him in a Samoa shirt come 2019!

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 15:33
Heard a rumour Seta Tamanivalu could be coming our way - 6'2" and 16 and a half stone - 3 Nz Caps but not in the Lions Tour squad

Malakai Fekitoa to Toulon

Saili to Quins, Roberts back home to Cardiff Blues

Leigh Halfpenny to Wasps looks the likely move

Saw Rob Simmonds has been released by the Reds, just 28 and a big weighty tight head second row, which TB wanted. Admittedly Exeter are apparently in pole position to sign him.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 15:44
Quote:
BathLad
Heard a rumour Seta Tamanivalu could be coming our way - 6'2" and 16 and a half stone - 3 Nz Caps but not in the Lions Tour squad

Selected at 14 for the Crusaders against the Lions tomorrow.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 15:47
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathLad

Now THAT would be a top signing imo! Been a real talent at the Chiefs and Crusaders last couple of years. Can play 12/13/14 and is a really powerful runner with neat offloading skills. Certainly wouldn't be a bad signing one bit!

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 15:52
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathLad

Has played on the right wing all season with Jack Goodhue having a break through season and Crotty their playmaking 12. Crotty is out and I'm guessing they want to make minimal changes from their super rugby team so have slotted Havili in at 12. Tamanivalu played in the centres last season with the Chiefs. Being an All Black i imagine he has the skill set to play 12 and has the size to fit in the northern Hemisphere

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 16:42
Love a good rumour!

Done some digging...

New Zealand press in May says he's considering a move overseas - no direct mention of Bath or Todd, or any other specific club:

[i.stuff.co.nz]

Also found a couple of threads on Twitter with a few fans talking about him and Bath. One specifically saying Todd has been in touch - no idea of the truth of that (is social media, so take with a pinch of salt!)

Sounds like his move to wing has been the making of him. NZ fans saying he's much more effective out wide.

Wouldn't say no to a Tamanivalu / Rokoduguni / Watson back three!!

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 20:39

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 20:48
Just hope that the rumour is more than just that! Impressive, be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow, Lions wingers got their hands full!

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

09 June, 2017 20:59
Apparently Todd came back from his holiday this week to Italy and Greece and has been "off site" contacting players / agents yesterday.

So it may have been quiet for a while, but things should start moving along soon!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>