rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

Re: Todd looking for 6/7 new players for next season
10 June, 2017 00:04
Pete Samu has looked really good for the Crusaders this year. Fast, powerful back rower. Is an Aussie as well. No idea if he's capped though.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

by
by (IP Logged)

10 June, 2017 14:15
That would be an awesome signing

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

10 June, 2017 19:33
Rumours are that Tamanivalu and Naholo are going to the Chiefs, the NZ team not the Exeter lot. Still hoping we can pull in Tamanivalu though.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 June, 2017 20:52
Quote:
BathSalmon
Apparently Todd came back from his holiday this week to Italy and Greece and has been "off site" contacting players / agents yesterday.
So it may have been quiet for a while, but things should start moving along soon!

I sincerely hope he hasn't just decided to pick up the phone now, would have thought that was 6 months ago!

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 12:31
Quote:
BathBurger
Rumours are that Tamanivalu and Naholo are going to the Chiefs, the NZ team not the Exeter lot. Still hoping we can pull in Tamanivalu though.

Where is the Tamanivalu rumour from?? He has only just moved from the Chiefs to the Crusaders and is doing pretty well in Christchurch. Don't know why he'd keep alternating between the Chiefs and Crusaders who play in the same competition.

I think it'd be more likely he either stays put or moves to Europe tbh than to the Chiefs unless there is some unknown personal reason to wanting back to Hamilton which we do not know!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 16:24
[m.facebook.com]

Post on June 10.

Sorry awful link I know. Apparently to join a previous coach. Not sure about the reliability as no direct source is given, but worthy keeping an eye on.

MESSAGES->author
plong (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 07:38
Doesn't link to anything specific...

Adopted Players
2017-18: Sam Underhill
2016-17: Will Homer

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 08:31
Keep the faith, last year's intake from their contact books were pretty good, no reason to doubt this year's recruitment will be anything less

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 10:31
Just wish they'd bloody get on with it. Pre-season's started hasn't it?

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 11:08
Starts Thursday. Hoping they are just having to wait for super rugby teams announcing released players or for it to get a bit later into their season. Now on international breaks so could possibly move forward a bit quicker.

Read that JP Pietersen, Tom Croft, Lachlan McCaffrey, Jono Kitto and Matthew Tait are all leaving tigers, Just wonder whether JP could possibly do a job for us on the wing, but maybe would demand a big wage in comparison to minutes on the field. All decent players for them in the past few years so imagine a high level of recruitment going on there.

Gloucester have a new HC and are probably recruiting as well at the moment, Northampton looking for Louis replacement, Harlequins still looking for a Roberts replacement as he's all but announced to be going home. So we aren't the only team pressing for new recruits its just whether theres the quality available for Todd to pick from

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 11:31
Still think Francis Saili would be a great option in the midfield or Seta Tamanivalu.

Would like to see us go and sign a very solid TH or 9 option though tbh.. These are where we are lacking strength imo - at least at 9 a replacement for Kahn who won't be able to play every game as he gets on etc!

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 11:35
Quote:
Big Dog
Would like to see us go and sign a very solid TH or 9 option though tbh.. These are where we are lacking strength imo - at least at 9 a replacement for Kahn who won't be able to play every game as he gets on etc!

Genia available, imagine most here wouldn't wanna see him after his previous U-turn, London Irish and apparently Northampton (have 2x bok 9s next year so doubt it) supposedly want him. Just an option maybe?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 11:41
I can't see us scoping out new targets a week before the pre-season starts, that would be a criminal lack of preparation. I would be comfortable in the assumption that the deals have been done or are certainly well progressed?

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 14:04
Based on this list which looks pretty up to date a number of the teams in the Prem have done some pretty good business! Are we going to fall behind if we don't bring in some top players? Could top 4 be even harder to achieve next year?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Irish in particular have brought in a lot of useful operators. Expect them to put up more of a fight than Bristol next year.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 19:10
Quote:
Big Dog
Based on this list which looks pretty up to date a number of the teams in the Prem have done some pretty good business! Are we going to fall behind if we don't bring in some top players? Could top 4 be even harder to achieve next year?
[en.wikipedia.org]

Irish in particular have brought in a lot of useful operators. Expect them to put up more of a fight than Bristol next year.

I share your concern. We rarely seem to get our recruitment sorted out in good time. We are short of quality cover at s/h, tight-head, 2nd row & centre & with Ellis out for most of the season we could have problems in the back row. With the usual quota of injuries we could be relying on academy players from the outset.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 19:55
Will make for a depressing season if BC hasn't got his cheque book out yet.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 07:58
Just because they haven't told us doesn't mean that we don't have a few in the bag.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 09:45
Quote:
BathMatt53
Just because they haven't told us doesn't mean that we don't have a few in the bag.

And this is what I hope! Just do not wish for a repeat of last year where we become more disjointed as the season went on because we had to bring in players on short term or one year deals who did not have the time gelling with the squad or learning how we wanted to play!

I also would rather get people on the books now and turning up at pre-season training from next week onwards than they arrive in November once they have played more games and had no time off after Super Rugby etc as I presume that looks like where we will be recruiting from..?

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 09:50
Surely its as much about quality as much as availability? its not all about September October but as much about jan, feb, march. look at Exe they had a bad start to the season but didn't loose a game from october onwards!

We need quality reinforcements, not just some journeymen who aren't wanted elsewhere

by
by (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 10:57
It sounds as though most of the signings will come from the SH, so probably won't be announced until their season finishes at the end of July?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 11:32
Strange I thought last year's recruitment was pretty effective - we got off to a very good start and the likes of Taps slotted in very well when they became available

I thought the main issue for the relative decline was the high, unforeseeable injuries in key positions - nothing to do with poor or slow recruitment

Isn't it likely that Todd will have identified his targets as the season closed for Tarquin and co to contact, establish interest and initiate contract talks then brief Todd on progress on his return from holiday?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 12:07
Guys calm down. TB is an experienced and shrewd operator with a lot of high ranking contacts particularly in the AB's and Canterbury where he is looked on as legend he will not have been sitting there twiddling his thumbs he will have recognised what signings we needed last January. As he said things are well advanced.
Let's have faith.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 17:14
A lot of repetition in this thread. (Thread police) Perhaps this is because there was once a time when we were linked with just about every player in the world and things just aren't that way any more.

As has already been said, it's not a doubt whether management will have been in talks with players already. They're professionals (and these ones act a lot more like it!)

The fact that we, nor Fissler, nor The Telegraph, Daily Mail, etc. haven't formed any (established) stories about our recruitment this summer is probably a good sign. It's a lot better for the perception of the club and probably the squad that things are being done in this way; in 2015 we were being linked with just about every player in the world*. It made for great discussions... but probably isn't something to be proud of. Just because things aren't quite like that any more, doesn't mean to say the players aren't coming.

We offer outstanding facilities, outstanding coaches and can compete with any club in Europe financially. Additionally, we'll be playing in the Big Cup this season and so we're not short of incentives.

* Armitage, Vermeulen, Cuthbert, Franks, Slade, Cooper - to name just a few.

Anthony Perenise [Bath Rugby] - Adopted Player 2017/18

Boldngrey
Boldngrey (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 20:19
When does pre-season training start?

Itís getting late and it makes it more difficult if new signings donít get the pre-season grounding.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 20:42
Quote:
Boldngrey
When does pre-season training start?
Itís getting late and it makes it more difficult if new signings donít get the pre-season grounding.

Tomorrow!

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 13:11
Little bird tells me that Jamie Phillips, Bristol back row, might well be one of the players on his way to us - a reliable little bird if ever there was one!

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 14:45
Quote:
Gussieboy
Little bird tells me that Jamie Phillips, Bristol back row, might well be one of the players on his way to us - a reliable little bird if ever there was one!

What position in the back row and is he any good? Wikipedia only told me that he appears to have been up and down between the Premiership and Championship.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 14:53
Chron reporting that Blackadder is "on it."

' "We're just working through that now. It's kept me busy since I've been back. I'm confident we're going to have the right squad and that the new players we bring in will be the right fit."

Among the areas Blackadder wants to strengthen are a "big midfielder" to replace Robbie Fruean, a second row, a tighthead prop and a back-three player.'

See Mike the T's Chronicle thread & link.

PG

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 14:55
Quote:
Big Dog
Quote:
Gussieboy

What position in the back row and is he any good? Wikipedia only told me that he appears to have been up and down between the Premiership and Championship.

All I can add to this is of the 4 times we played Bristol last season, Phillips played 3 times (twice starting lock and once bench). We won all 3 of those games!

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 15:31
Don't know much about him to be honest, he didn't stand out particularly for me when we played them, but he plays either lock or 6/8 I gather.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 16:59
Quote:
Gussieboy
Don't know much about him to be honest, he didn't stand out particularly for me when we played them, but he plays either lock or 6/8 I gather.

Perhaps just to be a squad player with decent enough Premiership experience at lock or 6 if injuries prevail I guess? With Ellis out for the year may be covering his injury and jumping in at lock if Charteris/Ewels/Attwood or Stooke take a knock.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 19:24
Squad player no doubt. Versatility likely to come in handy.

Don't suppose he's an injury replacement for Ellis simply because they tend to be like for like replacements.

Meaning no detriment to Mr Phillips, however harsh it may sound, but comparing someone who was on the verge of making his international debut (albeit during the Lions period) at 21 to a 30 year old who, on paper, is "up and down" between the premiership and championship; and struggled to really shine a light over himself at Bristol is somewhat difficult.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 19:26
In other news, Midi Olympique are reporting that Toulon are "relatively optimistic" about Fekitoa signing a two year deal.

Real shame if so.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 June, 2017 12:14
Seems more like a Stooke kind of signing to me. Thought that worked out well last season!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 June, 2017 12:24
Stooke has age on his side, Phillips doesn't. Fine as a nice cheap squad player - he is certainly a big lad.

by
by (IP Logged)

16 June, 2017 14:17
You have to bear in mind that we are signing players to cover AWC, A league and the odd premiership game from the bench between tough fixtures.

We've got a pretty established second row locker with 4 good quality players but pretty weak depth beyond that, Humphreys the only second row left in the academy with Levi Douglas forced to fill in. Losing 1 or 2 of those second rows is a real risk considering Charteris and Attwood's recent injury records.

JamboBris
JamboBris (IP Logged)

18 June, 2017 21:13
With the greatest of respect to him Phillips wouldn't even be starting for us next year so would be astonished to see him as anything other than a squad player for you guys. In his first spell with us he was a hell of a ball carrier but hasn't been quite the same since he came back. Initially he was too heavy to be a lineout option but he was being used as one after Xmas last year. Puts in a shift and can carry but isn't the most mobile.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2017 16:42
Quote:
quanco
Back in March, Fissler suggested that Harlequins were leading the race to sign Fekitoa*. Would love to have him; he has the potential to be as much of a catalyst as Charles Piutau has been for Wasps and Munster.

My first choice at 12 would be Fekitoa. No real injury record and, playing outside of NZ, would be 100% committed to the Bath cause. He offers something very different to our other options and at his age, should really be coming into his prime.

*I believe what was insinuated was that Cardiff had made an attempt to sign Jamie Roberts and if that happens, Quins will look to bring in Fekitoa as a replacement.[/quote

Wonder if we are interested, and if not, why not? Given the various sums banded about these days, £800k over 2 seasons sounds reasonable...

[www.ruck.co.uk]

In other news,

- Sale Sharks are close to announcing the signing of Australian fullback James OíConnor

- Australia legend Will Genia is leaving Stade Francais...the scrum-half is said to be also (in addition to going back to Oz) considering offers from England with London Irish and Northampton Saints interested in his services.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

19 June, 2017 16:55
Think there was an interview recently with Ronan O'Gara regarding the 2013 Lions series. Believe he said "you should be beating a team with James O'Connor at 10" which I'd probably agree with. If Sale want him, they'll probably get him but whether he does well for them is another question. I don't feel like he set the world alight whilst he was with Irish.

Now the U20 championship has come to an end, I wonder whether our academy will announce any additions?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 June, 2017 09:20
Well O'Connor to Sale a done deal.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Interesting to see if they can get him at his best.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 June, 2017 13:40
Quote:
BathMatt53
Well O'Connor to Sale a done deal.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Interesting to see if they can get him at his best.

Ron Howard voiceover: They couldn't.

airdog
airdog (IP Logged)

21 June, 2017 08:38
confirmed on the Bristol site that James Philips has signed for you .

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

21 June, 2017 08:47
So if we have been talking to Bristol and signed James Philips does that mean:

a) there is more to come?
b) were done with Bristol players?

I reckon it might be b) myself

BathMan in Oxford
BathMan in Oxford (IP Logged)

21 June, 2017 09:59
James Phillip's announcement this morning suggests that he will be joining pre-season training with the other new recruits Allinson, Burns, Underhill and Lewis. Are we sure that Todd's wish list of 6/7 new recruits doesn't include these?

by
by (IP Logged)

21 June, 2017 10:56
Maybe, its still reported in the chronicle that hes after 2 key signings a TH and a big midfield player to replace Fruean.

Or perhaps Philips is strictly an injury replacement for Ellis, after all hes only signed a 1 year deal.

As preseason has already started, surely any new signing must be coming from a SH club now.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

21 June, 2017 12:23
Quins have signed Francis Saili from Munster so unlikely they'll be in the race for Fekitoa now.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

27 June, 2017 13:10
Given the silence on the transfer news other than Phillips potentially replacing Ellis, are we to take it the targets on TB & TMs is radar are either Lions tourists or in Contention for the ABs??

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 June, 2017 13:28
No idea, but that is what I suspect and hope!

by
by (IP Logged)

27 June, 2017 14:32
That, or just players from super rugby, their season doesn't end until the start of August.

Freddie Burns said hes starting preseason today, so if any players in negotiations were available surely they'd have signed them already.

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

27 June, 2017 14:43
Has Jan Serfontein announced where he's going yet? I know it's a European club, assumed it would be in France, but I can't recall an announcement.

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

27 June, 2017 15:08
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Has Jan Serfontein announced where he's going yet? I know it's a European club, assumed it would be in France, but I can't recall an announcement.

pretty sure Montpellier were announced

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

27 June, 2017 17:08
Serfontein linked with Saints, Montpellier and Toulon.

[www.sport24.co.za]

Not sure if any update since this article but could not find anything?

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

28 June, 2017 17:41
Interesting to see that on the Matt Garvey pre season video on the clubs website, he is credited as a second row rather the a back row/second row It might mean nothing, but it could be that he is finally transitioning to second row full time.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 19:48
I sincerely hope not. He's the best 6 at the club by a country mile.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 20:51
Quote:
joethefanatic
I sincerely hope not. He's the best 6 at the club by a country mile.

Was... but after a big injury like that and with Underhill joining, he's going to have his work cut out getting that starting shirt back. 6. FLouw, 7. Underhill, 8. Taulupe sounds pretty formidable to me, all the more so now FLouw is getting on a bit.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 21:59
Every time someone writes that back row formation I sort of glow inside at the though of the havoc it could cause.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 22:11
Looking at it from this position now, I'd say it's as likely that Garvey will play well at 6 as flouw.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 22:50
Add Grant and Zac Mercer to that mix!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 23:03
Glowing even more, do you think I should cut down on the 238Uranium? (Sm11)

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 08:25
Quote:
shipwrecked
Every time someone writes that back row formation I sort of glow inside at the though of the havoc it could cause.

And I shudder at the thought of the yards they'll give up. You have to balance show ponies with cart horses. You can't just have one or the other.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 08:40
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
shipwrecked

And I shudder at the thought of the yards they'll give up. You have to balance show ponies with cart horses. You can't just have one or the other.

Have you seen Underhill's stopping power, he does NOT do backwards, what about some of Faletau's try saving tackles, worried about Flo? Add in Ellis and Garvey. Sorry, this is one area where we have no weaknesses.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 12:52
If you saw the analysis on Underhill in another thread, I don't see him giving up many yards and I certainly don't see FLouw giving up yards either.

Healthy competition among our back row. A perfect mix of experience and youth across the board. If only we had that across all the other positions!!

by
by (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 16:37
Watching the ABs this morning, I really hope we manage to sign up a big hard running 12, Laumape being able to put the team on the front foot just allowed the team to get so much momentum following first phase.

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 19:36
I thought that during the Hurricanes game, we can but dream - especially now that he's capped. The 2 centres for the 'canes' were the joint top try scores last season, so both pretty handy to say the least.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 19:43
I simply can't imagine that we haven't got exactly that type of centre lined up so I feel OK on that but worry a bit more about a backup for Kahn.

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 22:28
I have every faith that we do, but the longer the silence goes on the more I think that they won't be here for the start of the season.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 16:12
I'm hoping BC already has our required players signed up for next season and it's just a matter of timing the announcements.

It would be totally incompetent of the management team to still be scratching around for players at this late stage.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 21:17
According to the front cover of the Rugby Paper, weíre in the hunt for Kriel. Anyone know which one of the many Kriels weíre after and how likely the rumour is?

Front Page teaser

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 23:05
Might be Jaco Kreil according to this bit odd though??

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

03 July, 2017 07:31
Jesse Kriel would seem to better fit out needs.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 July, 2017 07:42
Yes, but he seems to have recently extended his contract with the Bulls to 2019 though.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 16:20
Having just read through the thread on Mr Mitchell's signing or not as the case may tur out, do you think Mr Blackadder is still looking?

Become a bit weary of PR pronouncements from the Club with little substance.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net