rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

O/T Le Tour
29 June, 2017 10:23
It's that time of year again and I know there are some followers on COML so thought I'd start an O/T thread.

Who's going to win this year?

Great interview with Froomey here: [tinyurl.com]

Not sure whether it is my heart and or head but he is still my tip. Porte is on fire but seems to always have one bad bad day on a major tour. There are many others which means it could be a great tour - lets hope so. Teams introduced this evening on Eurosport.

If you have never followed the Tour - give it a go - my advice would be to watch the daily highlight show on ITV4 (about one hour each night)

By the time the Tour has finished we will be very close to Preseason games and another season of Bath versus the World!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Re: O/T Le Tour
29 June, 2017 10:31
It will be a tougher Tour than many expect. I think Froome will prevail assuming he finished and will do the Vuelta double. Porte is yet to podium at a GT and although in fantastic form has never shown he has 3 weeks in him. Froome and Bardet at the best descenders of the favourites and there is time to take with some of the finishes in the mountains.

Sagan to walk the green jersey. Kittel to dominate the sprints, but hopefully Cav will be well enough to at least take a stage.

Steve Cummings to also show off his nice new jersey with a stage win.

Tony Martin to win his first TT since last year's worlds on Saturday to take yellow, with Kittel taking it over on Sunday with bonus seconds in the sprint...

Possibly going to the stage start in Perigeaux after the first rest day, though it would mean a 5 hour round trip from the Auvergne where I'll be riding that week.

Biggest sporting event of the year. Love it!

For the doubters and cynics, if you look you will find, if you don't look (tennis, football, rugby amongst others) you will see nothing even though it is rife.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

29 June, 2017 10:58

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

29 June, 2017 11:30
Really looking forward to it, its like being on holiday whilst still at home.

who will win? Porte looking good, Froome not, but is there really anyone else?

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

29 June, 2017 12:48
I agree with DB on most things POrte has yet to show real 3 week racing dominance.
Sagan to walk ponts
not sure on Kittel again, think it's time for him to do a Boonan and go for Classics rather than stay as a pure sprinter, he was U23s World ITT champ so has the sort of sustained power history.

Cav will need to ride himself into fitness/form.

Steve Cummings will hit many break aways as usual.

I hope beyond all hope that there is a day of echelons in the wind do love it when it breaks up and for what Moviestar did at the Giro I hope they have a very inopportune punction with no one waiting for them and the whole team ends up in the wrong echelon losing a good 4-5 minutes.

Tony in Yellow in Germany please, he deserves it for all his years of selfless sacifice for team mates, would like him to do one of his long range lone rides again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

29 June, 2017 20:24
A little out of touch this year due to lack of Eurosport so not watched as much as I would have liked.

Tony Martin is an absolute legend and deserves a yellow in his home country!

Sprint wise, nobody has really convinced me of yet. Cav returning from illness, Kitell returning from injury... perhaps a few French victories to come this year? Be great for Cav to edge closer to that record though!

GC wise I think Froome showed me enough in the Dauphine to remain favourite. If it weren't him (or another Brit... not hilly enough for Yates twins, sadly) I have a sneaky (and slightly romantic) feeling that Bardet will do it... course seems tailor made for him!

Otherwise just love Cumming's style and would be great to see yet another of 'those' breakaway victories that seem to surprise the entire peleton! Kennaugh in good form too...

Michael van Vuuren- adopted player 2016-17

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

29 June, 2017 23:07
For the GC, you can't look past Froome for my money. Sky have strengthened their team and clearly focused on this event. But I can't rule out Quintana - Froome got a little lucky last year at times and NQ is a serious climber. Like others, I just don't think Porte has the big day experience and can't string 3 weeks together; 1 bad day = tour over

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 00:06
Sorry but Kennaugh ain't in it.

Like to see Chavez win a stage or two just to see that smile

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 07:06
I can't see Froome challenging this year. I just don't think he is in top form and Sky may pull him out in week 2 for the big one later in the year. I hope I am wrong.

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 08:27
Quote:
hemington
Sorry but Kennaugh ain't in it.
Like to see Chavez win a stage or two just to see that smile

Apologies, I thought he had been included following his win at Alpe D'Huez! Shame as he looked good in the Nationals too.

Yeah I like Chavez. Don't think there are enough mountain top finishes for him to podium, like with Yates, but be great to see a stage go his way!

Michael van Vuuren- adopted player 2016-17

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 08:57
Quote:
cb2
I can't see Froome challenging this year. I just don't think he is in top form and Sky may pull him out in week 2 for the big one later in the year. I hope I am wrong.

What's bigger than the Tour de France?

There ain't no Sanity Clause

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 09:01
It's equivalent to watching Bath play for 3 continuous weeks !
The world's greatest sporting event with the largest spectator involvement by a country mile.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 11:31
Nothing is bigger than Le Tour but if he is not doing well then they will save a bit of energy and go for La Vuelta. Sky are not interested in 4th place in major tours at this moment in time.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 11:43
I'll be rooting for Sky but I think this Tour is a tough ask. The profile might suit him better than some od his rivals but I think we'll know by the middle of the second week how it's going.

Personally, I could see it going the way of the 2014 tour with the none of the obvious favourites winning (not that Nibali was an unknown quantity)...

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

30 June, 2017 11:48
THE most amazing sporting/physical/mental challenge on the planet - love everything about it - the colour, the passion, the support, the commentary

Will never forget many, many years ago visiting girlfriend in Paris and coming out of metro station to stumble across the finish at Champs Elysee, phenomenal atmosphere

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 12:51
QUintana looked off in the Giro needing to do the dirty to take time from Dumoulin.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 20:06
Go G! Phenomenal start. Have been a massive fan since he cartwheeled down Langport high street in the tour of Britain years ago. A powerhouse!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 20:22
Pretty darned good day for Whitechurch High School - reckon Bale would have scored a hat trick today!

Great day for Sky with 4 in top 8 and Froome gaining 30+secs on all his GC rivals, plus Dick Dastardly crashing out.

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

01 July, 2017 21:58
Fab

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 00:21
Quote:
Dorset Boy
Pretty darned good day for Whitechurch High School - reckon Bale would have scored a hat trick today!
Great day for Sky with 4 in top 8 and Froome gaining 30+secs on all his GC rivals, plus Dick Dastardly crashing out.
That would be Whitchurch- very important there is no e.
Great stage win for G pity the French tv folks didn't show any but the last 200metres.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 01:04
Very good day for Whitchurch High, Sam Warbuton is an ex pupil as well as Gareth Bale and Geraint Thomas. if your interested he was playing celebrity golf outside Cardiff, highly impressive Bale trick golf shot here.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 21:29
G retains yellow. I understand Frome is clickbait for the BBC, but they might want to spend a few more column inches on a guy who is superhuman and leading the goddamn race, and he's British! Tbh, wouldn't be at all surprised for Frome to drop out and G to lead the team. Only then will Been recognise the talent on show.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 July, 2017 22:52
Yes have to agree, Geraint has been has been getting better and better over the past 18 months hadn't realised that he retained yellow, so great news.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 18:10
Sagan DQ'd right or wrong?? He didn't need to put his elbow there if he wasn't trying to push his way on to Demare's wheel. There was room left he could have straightened.
Renshaw got thrown off for head butt that didn't even unseat a rider. Hmmm

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 19:05
Sagan is a phenomenally talented rider, with supreme bike skills. Did he really need to stick his elbow out like that to retain balance? we'll never know. However, a part of me suspects that his desire for the green jersey, equaling Zabel(?), may have gotten the better of him in a moment of madness. Shame, cos I think he's generally awesome for the sport in general, but hey we all make mistakes.

Real issue is whether Cav is going to be able to continue.

al Mossah
al Mossah (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 21:22
I like Sagan's attitude, but in this case I think DQ was right decision. Elbowing was deliberate, in my view. Bit like SBW on Sat.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 17:54
Well that was a day and a half!

Stuart

Former ed.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 20:05
Blown a load of aspirations in one day - Froome's to lose now

Just hope Thomas and Porte recover well

Those descents are mind boggling and the only surprise is there aren't more crashes

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 23:11
Bear in mind Froome didn't have a lot of backup before and was relying on Thomas for assistance, if he wins it without team support that would be highly impressive.

Bath-Boi
A.M 180 (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 08:51
Quote:
shipwrecked
Bear in mind Froome didn't have a lot of backup before and was relying on Thomas for assistance, if he wins it without team support that would be highly impressive.
He's still got loads of support

Nieve and Landa were right with him until the main shakeup

It's definitely not the Sky domination of the last two tours which is exciting. That said I look now to the Top 4, where realistically the winner will now come from, and don't see anyone really putting Froome I any major difficulty

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 17:19
Not to forget the animals that are Kiri and Kwaits

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 July, 2017 19:56
Froome lost the yellow jersey today despite his support and now trails by 6 seconds, claims he just didn't have the legs on the uphill climb!

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer (IP Logged)

13 July, 2017 20:12
That was a freakishly steep finish. Chris Froome lost 20 seconds to Aru and all of that was lost on that steep section in the last 250 metres.

Bath-Boi
A.M 180 (IP Logged)

13 July, 2017 20:47
I think climbs on this kind of percentages can probably overplay how strong a rider is or isn't, so I think some of the wailing about Froome today has been a bit over the top.

The fact remains his closest few rivals need to be looking to put a hell of a lot of time in to Froome if he is genuinely struggling before the Time Trial. Are they brave enough to do this? I'm not so sure

Felt a bit miffed on behalf of Steve Cummings though. A British champion winnning on the 50th Year since Tom Simpson died would have been apt. Shame Sky seem so determined to pull in any move, whether its a threat to the GC or not

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 00:03
Froome still odds on with a time trial to come, but going to be an interesting few days.

Stuart

Former ed.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 06:08
Can't warm to Frome, but felt delighted for Bardet. The tour could really do with a French winner at last.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 07:14
Quote:
Ade1865
Can't warm to Frome, but felt delighted for Bardet. The tour could really do with a French winner at last.

Why?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 07:28
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Ade1865

Why?

Yes, why? It's a lovely little town.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 08:42
We had years & years of Brits failing to make any impact on the Tour whilst French, Belgians & others win year after year. I can put up with a few more years iof British domination.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 09:32
it will be interesting to see how Aru defends the yellow, particulalrly if Sky try to put Landa up ahead - Astana and the other leaders will have to respond - they don't have many resources left, sky and Froome just follow them. They say most riders have a bad day per tour (some worse than others e.g. Porte) let's hope Froome has had his. As for Cummings - a shame but the Tour is no place to give people a stage (unless a death in the race) and yes Simpson was a great rider but chemically enhanced and just as Le Tour didn't want to honour him with a stage up Ventoux this year I personnaly don't think a Cummings win in Simpsons name gives aout the right message.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 11:53
Dunno, Froome just seems boring. Like most motor racing drivers.

a frenchman hasnt won the tour since 85. why would it be good? for the same reason that people say it would be good if a Brit won the British GP, or Wimbledon. to increase interest in the event.

I prefer to follow sportsmen for who they are, not where they come from. Nationality is an accident of birth, character and personality are manifestations of one's internal conflict (or other such boillox!).

when I was a kid it was all England England!, but now, older and wiser I even cheers on welshmen like G, who is an absolute hero.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 18:09
Didn't seem that boring today Ade, rather crafty work by him and Sky to get the yellow Jersey back to an 18 sec lead.

I'll concede a few stage wins to the odd Frenchman or Spaniard but I still want Froome to win the main event.

Bath-Boi
A.M 180 (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 19:52
Disastorous positioning from Aru and Astana at the end in the closing kilometres. Even if your team is weak, there's no excuse not to be sat right on the same wheels as your GC rivals

There's a reason Sky stick up near the front at most points of the race anyway. You simply don't know when the gaps will form

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2017 19:52 by A.M 180.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 19:48
What a great stage today - I confess to watching from beginning to the end!
How on earth the human body can withstand the strains put upon it by 3 weeks of that.
If anyone questioned the guts and quality of Froome's riding he answered that in bucket loads today.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 20:12
And what a team. Henoa, Kwaits, Nieve, Rowey, Kiri, Knees and above all Landa. Talk about selfless.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 21:49
An enthralling tour. Astana seem to be at 6s &7s, AG2R giving it their all but can't shake off Landa and Froome. Clearly has a lot of respect from his team, unlike, it would seem, Aru. And congrats to Mollema, but ride of the day has to be Froome, chapeau.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 22:25
Yes, totally agree, the team can do all the bridging required to help Froome but at the end of the day he still has to do the catching up, amazing cycling and a pivotal moment for the other competitors knowing that even when Froome gets a puncture they can't capitalise on it.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 10:53
great interview with the young guy from Astana:

did Aru lose yellow?

Yes.

good.

Great insight into the internal politics of a race team.

More of this please and less of the 'the lads done good.' shite.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 12:09
Needs more words Ade, who is talking to who and which 'lads done good' don't understand? confused smiley

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 12:20
Sorry,

Michael Valgren a domestique in the Astana team was interviewed just after Aru lost the yellow.

Boardman did a presentation on the total lack of comms between team members, and how Aru had plenty of chances to get his riders together, but seemed to have no idea what to do. they even appear to have gone looking for him at one stage.

so at the end of the stage, Valgren was interviewed. He asked the report if Aru had lost yellow, which presenter confirmed. Valgren then said 'good'. [i took it to mean, we tried our best for Aru but he didnt seem to know what he was doing]

the next day, after clearly being given a kicking by his boss Valgren gave an interview where he apologised for his rudeness and his inability to ride better for Aru, who was not at fault.

the lads done good comment was a reference to all those sterile interviews we get after sporting events which are totally pointless, apart from the odd maverick like Eddie Jones/Gordon Strachan.

this is what happens when one does all ones social media on twitter!

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 12:39

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 12:57
OK, thats much clearer I get it now, thanks. I saw Cavendish interviewed at Silverstone yesterday, they do have a special attitude, he just dismissed the crash as one of those things in racing. He wasn't too happy when David Coulthard patted him on the shoulder though!

Jenson Button was talking about entering the World Triathlon Champs, he seemed to reinforce that road racing was a world of difference between the two sports!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>