rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

Re: OT/ Brexit
06 August, 2017 17:43
"That swings both ways, we can make the Europeans wait just as long as they make us wait."

Impact on their economy of doing that, minimal. Impact on our economy, screwed.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 August, 2017 17:47
Quote:
DanWiley
"That swings both ways, we can make the Europeans wait just as long as they make us wait."
Impact on their economy of doing that, minimal. Impact on our economy, screwed.

Evidence for that assertion?

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 August, 2017 18:21
The current noises coming out of, for example, the UK and German automotive industry at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 August, 2017 18:32
Quote:
DanWiley
The current noises coming out of, for example, the UK and German automotive industry at the moment.

That is not evidence, which is the trouble with everyone on both sides of this argument. Lots of hot air and nonsense statements with no concrete evidence offered.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

06 August, 2017 20:42
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
DanWiley

That is not evidence, which is the trouble with everyone on both sides of this argument. Lots of hot air and nonsense statements with no concrete evidence offered.

Concrete evidence is regretfully unavailable, so judgement is required by both sides.

As a remainer I am aware I lost the argument but do not want yet another vote. We have a parliamentary system and vote representatives to take decisions for us. We like or don't like their decisions which mean they keep or lose their job next time around.

As a remainer

I am delighted that the stock market is buoyant.

The is weaker so my trips abroad are more than expensive but in the trade I am in we see more foreigners in our business. There is opinion that the was overvalued anyway.

I warned of an economic tsunami, well I was wrong about that, it is a big wave but not quite of tsunami proportions. I do feel that some EU countries like Germany, France and Italy will realise that our market for them is important, cars, cheese, wine, etc so there will be a strong lobby to ensure a market for them.

The main worry for me is the financial sector and services. It is so far not the catastrophe we predicted as some banks are expanding and not moving to Europe.

So yes I would have preferred to stay and try and reform the EU. My hope now is the pragmatism of the German and other influential EU industries will force the politicians to come to a sensible solution.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 August, 2017 21:49
A quick google should give you more evidence than you'll be able to read. To give you just one example, the huge actual drop in investment in the UK. Is that not evidence?

"I do feel that some EU countries like Germany, France and Italy will realise that our market for them is important, cars..."

That's the point, our industry is saying "god we're screwed without access to the EU market." Germany is saying: "It's a pain, but offset by the silver lining that they've just removed themselves as a serious competitor in our industry. No trade deal they make will
give them the ability to export, they can't compete with just a domestic market, they'll probably end up buying from us anyway."

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 August, 2017 22:18
Quote:
DanWiley
A quick google should give you more evidence than you'll be able to read. To give you just one example, the huge actual drop in investment in the UK. Is that not evidence? ."

Surely you don't believe what you read on the internet?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 00:21
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
DanWiley
A quick google should give you more evidence than you'll be able to read. To give you just one example, the huge actual drop in investment in the UK. Is that not evidence? ."

Surely you don't believe what you read on the internet?

As long as its multiply sourced and independently referenced, why not? Its the unsupported assertions that are the problem. "350 million pounds a week for the NHS" is one that springs to mind...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 10:16
Seems more reasonable than only believing the things that agree with you.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 11:56
Quote:
DanWiley
Seems more reasonable than only believing the things that agree with you.

Each to their own I guess. My personal mantra is believe nothing, trust nobody and question everything. This served me well with pretty much the only objective I set myself in life.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 13:19
Wow, if you literally believe that you've serious issues.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 13:29
Quote:
DanWiley
Wow, if you literally believe that you've serious issues.

Nope, really happy, gave up work long time ago well before the government's punitive age and do what I want when I want. Brexit won't really impact me either way it goes so happy days.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 14:48
Quote:
OutsideBath
This served me well with pretty much the only objective I set myself in life.

OK you've piqued my curiosity: What was it?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 15:36
Discover the truth of extraterrestrial life on Earth and the Government's shadowy cover-up?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 15:47
Quote:
jayeatman
Quote:
OutsideBath

I always viewed work as a waste of good social time so vowed not to work into my fifties and certainly not to die at work as the Tories would like.

I achieved this so job done!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 17:33
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
jayeatman
Quote:
OutsideBath

I always viewed work as a waste of good social time so vowed not to work into my fifties and certainly not to die at work as the Tories would like.

Retired bank robber?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 17:40
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
jayeatman
Quote:
OutsideBath

Retired bank robber?

Ha Ha, very good

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 18:02
I chose to have a job I actually enjoy and thought was beneficial to the human race. That said, I probably could choose to retire in my 50s, but right now I don't think I'd want to.

As you say, each to his own.

However, taking you literally: you don't believe the Earth orbits the sun, you don't trust your mother and shopping with you must be a fecking nightmare. How that helped you retire at 50 isn't clear.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 19:00
Quote:
DanWiley
I chose to have a job I actually enjoy and thought was beneficial to the human race. That said, I probably could choose to retire in my 50s, but right now I don't think I'd want to.
Same here (except the retiring at 50 bit*) - "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life"
If I wasn't getting paid to do what I do, I'd be doing it anyway.

* WEll, I guess I could have gone down that route with my career, but I'd have been miserable for 25 years until that retirement arrived

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 19:46
Quote:
Which Tyler

I would guess you are very lucky to have a job you really enjoy and are probably in the minority.

Personally I worked purely for the money and I would say pretty much all my colleagues at the time felt the same.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 20:17
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Which Tyler

I would guess you are very lucky to have a job you really enjoy and are probably in the minority.

Personally I worked purely for the money and I would say pretty much all my colleagues at the time felt the same.

That is sad! Always enjoyed my professional life and getting paid for it was a bonus. After retirement I continued my expertise on an honorary basis and found that equally enjoyable!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 20:41
Quote:
DanWiley
As you say, each to his own.

However, taking you literally: you don't believe the Earth orbits the sun, you don't trust your mother and shopping with you must be a fecking nightmare. How that helped you retire at 50 isn't clear.

My wife would agree that shopping with me is a nightmare... [:wor kid:]

As for helping to retire early, it's complicated but the mind set helped in my line of work to make money.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 09:42
The real secret [for me] is not in working to make the bucks to be happy in early retirement but being happy in my work so that retirement is merely an enjoyable transition as when I'm ready for it

I have no envy of those who quit work at 50

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 09:49
I met somone the other day who was 57, he retired at chistmas then was back at work by February as he couldn't stand it and drove his wife mental.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 10:59
Quote:
gaz59
The real secret [for me] is not in working to make the bucks to be happy in early retirement but being happy in my work so that retirement is merely an enjoyable transition as when I'm ready for it

I guess that just demonstrates how different we all are and wouldn't it be boring if we all did the same things? I quit well before 50 and never looked back, may look at some charity work in the future but for the time being am too busy.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 11:24
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
gaz59

I guess that just demonstrates how different we all are and wouldn't it be boring if we all did the same things? I quit well before 50 and never looked back, may look at some charity work in the future but for the time being am too busy.

Reminds me of my mum, always got to have the final word

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 11:30
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
gaz59

Reminds me of my mum, always got to have the final word

Pardon me for engaging with your comment, I'll make a note to ignore you in the future so as not to offend you further.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 14:26
(Sm14)

Bath Supporter Jack

08 August, 2017 16:31
Blimey I am extraordinarily impressed with the number of people on 'Ere who have, or indeed think they could retire at 50'ish.

As far as I can see the bigger problem in our society is people having to work until they are 70, 75 because they have no pensions or savings.

However the reduction in the growth of life expectancy might just come to the rescue.......never mind an actual reduction in life expectanc.

Personally I will keep doing what I am doing for as long as I can because I luckily really enjoy it. I suspect I will scale back a bit in order to make room for others.

Bath Supporter Jack

08 August, 2017 16:38
The Brexit thing is going to be the mother of all fudges by all parties.

We are invested in about 160 companies and Brexit according to them is last year's news. Overall everyone is at worst neutral or in about 20% of the cases are positive.

To be fair because we invest in Small and Midcap companies there are no Pharmaceutical, Aerospace, Direct Automotive (there are no quoted examples)and our Financial Services companies would not be the sort affected by the EU.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 16:42
Just got n e-mail from Green MEP, sounds postive:

Being a UK MEP at a time of Brexit
The process of leaving the European Union gives rise to so many questions but the ones people mostly ask me are the personal ones! People are really interested in how my colleagues from other European countries are treating me and what it feels like being an MEP in a country that is leaving the EU.

It's really important to challenge the nonsense that is being spouted by various right-wing newspapers about some kind of 'punishment Brexit'. Nothing could be further from the truth in terms of the treatment I'm getting as a Brit who is still working in Europe. It's true that other EU countries are frustrated that we haven't been clear about what we want in terms of leaving, but the main reaction is one of sympathy and concern.

Somewhat ironically, we have always been seen as the strong and stable democracy of Europe. Most European countries have suffered a political and constitutional meltdown in their time and so they understand the process, but they are surprised to see this happening in the UK. The last thing they want is an economic and political basketcase on their doorstep and so they will do everything they can to support us in our transition to a stable future. Everything, that is, except allowing Brexit to damage the European Union they have spent generations building.

The Parliament is in recess at the moment. When I return in September I know I will be greeted with civility and respect, while colleagues will also ask questions about what is going on in the UK but always in the tone of helpfulness and never one of hostility.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net