rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

Craig Mitchell
15 July, 2017 11:45
So we have signed former Dragons tight-head prop Craig Mitchell. He has a number of Welsh caps but as he was released by Dragons they evidently didn't rate him too highly.

Daniel Riddle
Riddler (IP Logged)

Re: Craig Mitchell
15 July, 2017 11:52
Could this be another Brew situation though; bright prospect once upon a time, career seemed to be petering out and then, new club, new opportunity...

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 12:11
My feeling is that Brew is a decent player, but not a world beater. I think we have decent players at tight head, I feel we were looking for someone who is top draw.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 12:13
Have the club signed him? As the paper states they believe he had singed but the club has not publicly announced his signing - great for the player!!

This is the lack of transparency I was talking about on another thread.

Welcome Craig if you have signed.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 12:35
Is he really an improvement on the players we already have?

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 12:49
Maybe he's a short term signing while Henry Thomas gets fit?

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BB&W 1865
BB&W 1865 (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 16:13
Massively underwhelming.

Daniel Riddle
Riddler (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 16:39
TB did say 2 big name signings so could be yet to come...Live in hope!

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 16:42
Craig Mitchell is big if you alter the font and put the caps lock on.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 17:28
Enjoy the ride Craig.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 18:00
As a point of order that should be drawer I believe.

FLAP

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 18:12
If this is true, then WELCOME Craig! (Ignore the doom brigade)

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 18:29
Donning my rose tinted specs, I take this as an encouraging sign that the A League and Anglo Welsh will be taken a bit more seriously this year.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 07:45
Is the AW not cancelled? I assumed it had been out of everyone's misery. Assume there's no way that the Pro12 could expand and keep it.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 08:08
Quote:
hasta
Is the AW not cancelled? I assumed it had been out of everyone's misery. Assume there's no way that the Pro12 could expand and keep it.

That would be my assumption if the SA teams join the Pro 12(14).

A question is does raise is what will the English clubs do on those weekends? Have a rest is one option, or the A league. But there was also talk in the Clubs report of the restructuring of the A league that Bath wanted those matched brought in line with the first team schedule to aid training/selection, and given the stated schedule for the A league it wouldn't fill the gap of losing the AW.

If the AW does go what will clubs do for season ticket holder who have already paid for a number of games this coming season? Perhaps an all English cup including the Championship?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 08:15
Rest and refund would be ideal. If they commercially aren't able to do that, then I suppose another half-baked cup idea will fill the gap.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 09:01
Whenever gym was cancelled at school we got to watch a video. Maybe a film night at the rec? The Fast and Furious and Harry Potter franchises alone would take us through a whole season. Failing that, what happened to those giant inflatable oranges?

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 09:44
Matt, just for the record, that did make me laugh quite a lot!!

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 10:35
I too would like to welcome Craig to Bath. May your dreams come true here and this time next year you be one of the players we definately don't want to lose.

MESSAGES->author

16 July, 2017 11:35
According to lots of posts I've read on here props don't mature until they're 30+. so perhaps we have signed someone who will shine. Welcome Craig

cardiff_steve
cardiff_steve (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 14:29
Quote:
abendanon-anon-anon
According to lots of posts I've read on here props don't mature until they're 30+. so perhaps we have signed someone who will shine. Welcome Craig

If i may....

Here's the difference between Craig Mitchell and Aled Brew:

Brew had slipped off the radar because his form hadnt been great.

Mitchell slipped off the radar because he's broken. He's had a long run of injuries.

Props often do improve with age. Injury prone ones.... not so much.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 14:31
Quote:
cardiff_steve
Quote:
abendanon-anon-anon

If i may....

Here's the difference between Craig Mitchell and Aled Brew:

Brew had slipped off the radar because his form hadnt been great.

Mitchell slipped off the radar because he's broken. He's had a long run of injuries.

Props often do improve with age. Injury prone ones.... not so much.

Thanks for the insight, as a injury prone player he'll fit in very well in Bath's treatment room. BC might want to consider expanding the treatment room though.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 14:42
I doubt that we have gone in with our eyes closed and all of the above will have been taken into account I'm sure, as well as his off the field issues which were documented a few years ago.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 15:12
Probably why it hasn't been officially announced, waiting medical reports.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 17:14
Quote:
BathMatt53
I doubt that we have gone in with our eyes closed and all of the above will have been taken into account I'm sure.

You mean like Fruean? That worked out well for us.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 19:16
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53
I doubt that we have gone in with our eyes closed and all of the above will have been taken into account I'm sure.

Well we were disappointed when he left and we made him a new offer to stay so it can't have been that disastrous?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 19:22
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

Well we were disappointed when he left and we made him a new offer to stay so it can't have been that disastrous?

I mean how many games did he actually play for us. From memory he arrived injured and pretty much stayed that way until the end of the season. Wasn't it about 4 games he played?

We really don't need players with a history of injuries, we have enough of those already.

cardiff_steve
cardiff_steve (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 19:34
Just a bit more info...

There's a site called itsrugby.co.uk which is quite useful for getting stats on players.

This is the entry for Craig Mitchell:

[www.itsrugby.co.uk]

You'll see that he played a relatively full season for Exeter in 11/12.

Since then, he's been at 3 different clubs and started a grand total of 10 league games.

10 league starts in 5 years.

My guess is that you're taking him on strictly as a backup. You can "manage" his fitness and wheel him out when there's a front row injury crisis.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 19:42
Well then I guess we had all better let Todd B etc know that they don't know what they are doing OB? Maybe you could take over as head of recruitment?

For all we know he could be pay as you play. He has been on trial and clearly impressed - good luck to the lad.

(Based on that info it's obviously a shot to nothing and he is unlikely to be a marquee or on a 1/2p salary...)

Fruean actually had a couple of unrelated injuries I think, unlucky. Chances are he won't get injured at all for Edinburgh but that's the way it goes.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 19:50
Well we used to be known as London Irish West.
Are we now becoming Wales East?

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 21:55
Quote:
dcsh
Quote:
hasta

That would be my assumption if the SA teams join the Pro 12.

I've read somewhere that they are looking to bring four currie cup (South Africa's domestic comp, one below Super Rugby) sides into the AW cup. Might be nonsense but it would be an interesting change and great for the up and coming players to be exposed to a different style of play...

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 22:39
Well talking to people at Exeter where Mitchell was on their books for three years, he was shall we say not rated and very poor when he got on the field (11 starts in 3 seasons). He was often long term injured and went to Dragons where his run of injuries curtailed his appearances.

On top of this he nearly was sacked by The Chiefs as per the attached:

Exeter Rugby Club have conducted an internal disciplinary hearing with Craig Mitchell following his arrest and conviction in Australia last week.

Following the hearing, the club can now issue the following statement:

“Exeter Rugby Club Chief Executive Tony Rowe OBE, together with Head Coach Rob Baxter, have today reviewed closely CCTV footage and discussed in depth the incident involving first-team squad member Craig Mitchell.

“Following this review process, the club have found Craig Mitchell guilty of bringing not only the club, but also the game of Rugby Union, into disrepute. The club feel the six-month suspended sentence, together with the fine imposed on the player by the Australian authorities, is sufficient punishment.

“However, Craig Mitchell has been given a written warning by the club that should he transgress in a similar way over the next six months, then his contract with Exeter Rugby Club could be terminated at the club’s discretion.

“The club once again re-iterates its previous stance that it does not condone law breaking of any kind and will continue to stress with all of its employees the importance of acting as positive ambassadors – even in difficult and unwanted circumstances.”

Craig Mitchell wishes to express his remorse not only to the victim and those involved in the incident, but also to Exeter Rugby Club, the Welsh Rugby Union and his family.

I don't think he will turn out to be another as good as Aled Brew!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 July, 2017 23:22
Tight-heads must be as rare as hen's teeth if we are signing a player with a record like this. Presumably the coaches have some good recent feed-back on him and he will only be back-up to the other back-ups. Nevertheless, exceedingly underwhelming if it's true.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 06:09
He has been at Farleigh on trial - clearly he has impressed enough. I'm not sure that skimming a few Wikipedia pages puts us at the same level of knowledge of his abilities as the Bath coaches.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 10:54
Welcome Craig and best of luck in your Bath career.

If he has been injury prone for a while it means he may have a few years left in him at a top level if he can avoid injury. As he has a full pre-season could get into some good shape and be a real asset if we are lucky!

Raided a few Newport Gwent Dragons players of late with Faletau, Brew and Shaun Knight all crossing the border. They aren't the best club in the Pro12 but I suppose these are not expected to be our first XV choices (bar Faletau) and so will be able to make contributions in Anglo-Welsh and A league.

Hopefully Craig can get match fit and up to speed quickly though as not sure how much fitness the welsh teams seem to do if they all want to just play Warrenball style to make the Wales selection squads. Shaun Knight certainly looked a better player for being fitter once he had been with us a number of months and so perhaps the same will happen for Craig!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 July, 2017 12:01
Quote:
BathMatt53
He has been at Farleigh on trial - clearly he has impressed enough. I'm not sure that skimming a few Wikipedia pages puts us at the same level of knowledge of his abilities as the Bath coaches.

Thank you.

Always winds me up when people on here are so dismissive of new signings.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 15:55
Given the new A league structure and increased games, this might not be a bad signing, I would imagine he is absolutely cheap as chips, he will add experience to the Young un's, relieve squad pressure on the first team and (whilst unlikely) if we are lucky he may find his old mojo and we have got an international prop for peanuts.

I too am frustrated as would like to see a headline 'Bath sign current front row international' etc and alot of the signings suggest mid table scrapping but fingers crossed on some key ones at the close of the Super Rugby.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 16:11
"Always winds me up when people on here are so dismissive of new signings."

Surely we can be more or less excited about the impact a new signing will make? If we're signing a player to play in the A league, I'm not saying that is the case here, then I'm hardly surprised people aren't rolling out a red carpet.

On the other hand, suppose we were to sign Mario (not on the cards) then I would expect this forum to go nuts.

Likewise coaches make some great signings and some poor ones, the "he must have impressed" argument literally can't hold water. Either are coaches are all knowing, yet for some reason make poor decisions. Or they aren't all knowing (more likely). In either case, discussing the merits of their decisions seems perfectly reasonable.

In any case, if we treated them all the same then frankly it would be meaningless. The praise would mean nothing and the coversation would be dull.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 17:24
[quote DanWiley] Likewise coaches make some great signings and some poor ones, the "he must have impressed" argument literally can't hold water. Either are coaches are all knowing, yet for some reason make poor decisions. Or they aren't all knowing (more likely). In either case, discussing the merits of their decisions seems perfectly reasonable.[quote]

I think that you are missing the points made Dan.

Yes of course some signings turn out to be bad or good. The issue is when a new player is signed and people who know nothing about the guy and have never seen him play spend a 5 min google and decide that he is total rubbish. Do I hold the view that the coaches know more about the current state of the player than most of the people on this forum? Yes, I'm afraid that I do. The coaches have seen something in this guy - OK he isn't going on the next Lions tour but they obviously think that for the money, he can do a job for Bath and that's good enough for me. So, the argument holds a lot more water than BoB talking to people at Exeter about a chap they never / rarely saw play I'm afraid.

Talking about the merits of the coaches decisions is obviously the choice of the people on here, but lets not pretend that they know anything useful about the guy. So, it's just typical off season bored chatter.

In relation to being excited or not, well that's just human nature - Todd B has said that he will pull in a few quality signings and as they haven't yet appeared 2+2 is being put together to make 5. Yes we can have Craig Mitchell AND a big ball carrying centre I'm certain. But as a few of those above have said, unless our signing really is a top 5 player in the world there will be another load of moaning, which is either silly or spoiled (probably both).

I'm with sirtidychris, Big Dog and BO lets give the guy a chance at least before dismissing him?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 19:01
Quote:
DanWiley
In any case, if we treated them all the same then frankly it would be meaningless.

I never suggested we treat every signing in the same way.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:22
"The issue is when a new player is signed and people who know nothing about the guy and have never seen him play spend a 5 min google and decide that he is total rubbish. "

Given no one has done that then there really is no issue.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:26
Quote:
DanWiley
"The issue is when a new player is signed and people who know nothing about the guy and have never seen him play spend a 5 min google and decide that he is total rubbish. "

Dan,

You are mistaken, its solely a black and white argument

One side of the argument says that even if TB signed an obese octogenarian with Alzheimer's, thne we should shut up as they know what they are doing

the other says that everyone we sign is totally shite

That's what makes it so much fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2017 11:49 by woodpecker.

OBinexile
OBinexile (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:44
Blimey, woodpecker has he? I'd better check my emails. Now, what was my password again?

OBinExile

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:54
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
DanWiley

Dan,

You are mistaken, its solely a black and white argument

One side of the argument says that even if TB signed an obese octogenarian with Alzheimer's, the we should shut up as they know what they are doing

the other says that everyone we sign is totally shite

That's what makes it so much fun

I realise that is said with tongue in cheek WP & think you will agree that when some of us don't celebrate certain signings as much as others & use expressions such as underwhelmed, not overly impressed, "a player looking to rejuvenate their career" we are not writing them off & will give them full support and encouragement. That said, to welcome every signing simply acknowledging that the head coach know best would make this board very boring.(Sm120)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:56
yes exactly, its tongue in cheek I probably err on the side of being able to comment, given the nature of a forum, but I do accept that the coaches aren't morons and know something about rugby

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>