rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

O/T BBC salaries
19 July, 2017 11:21
Not sure where the whole list is but here is the top 10:

Here are the BBC’s top earners…

Chris Evans: £2.2million – £2.49million
Gary Lineker: £1.75million – £1.79million
Graham Norton: £850,000 – £899,000
Jeremy Vine: £750,000
John Humphrys: £640,000
Huw Edwards: £600,000
Steve Wright: £550,000
Claudia Winkleman: £450,000 – £499,000
Matt Baker: £500,000
Alan Shearer: £450,000
Nicky Campbell: £450,000
Alex Jones: £450,000

I cant wait to hear the next interview on Today when John Humphreys criticises how much someone gets paid/how much something costs

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

Re: O/T BBC salaries
19 July, 2017 11:25
I wouldn't miss Evans, Wright, Shearer or Campbell for starters.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:32

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 11:46
Well I'm glad I know but find the some of the sums involved shocking, aren't journalists usually keen on transparency in public affairs? I hope the consequence is a reduction in salaries rather than a levelling up over time. If those affected by reductions don't like it they are free to move to another sofa/studio...

Adopted players: [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 12:08
The fact that the only actors on the list seem to be from either Eastenders or Holby/Casualty presumably means these are about the only drama the BBC makes for itself these days. Everything else is 'commissioned' or bought in.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 12:11
Ken Bruce should be paid a lot more comparing him to others on the full list.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 12:49
Given the outcry in the past when the likes of Evans and Ross's salaries have been released I don't find anything particularly surprising about those figures.

They don't seem particularly good value for money, but I guess that's the market rate and if the BBC don't pay them that they'll go to Sky or whoever and the BBC will be left talentless. I find it hard to really value the talent of a presenter, but god you know about it when there's someone who hasn't got it.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 12:57
It's just not very informative TBH
To interest me it would need to be... well, something I care about; but more to the point, be on a £per hour or £per day basis; and really ought to include payments made via production companies.
For example, the likes of Evans and Vine will be working 350 days of the year, whilst the Strictly crew do what? 30 days?
Equally, the bake-off lot are all (apparently) well up that list, just paid by the production company (with money the get exclusively from the BBC... for now).

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 13:15
Quote:
jayeatman
The fact that the only actors on the list seem to be from either Eastenders or Holby/Casualty presumably means these are about the only drama the BBC makes for itself these days. Everything else is 'commissioned' or bought in.

Which completely hides the cost of those productions. What would a series like Casualty cost to buy in?

There is another side to those figures, I'm surprised that people like John Piennar aren't on more!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 13:42
Quote:
Which Tyler
It's just not very informative TBH
To interest me it would need to be... well, something I care about; but more to the point, be on a £per hour or £per day basis; and really ought to include payments made via production companies.
For example, the likes of Evans and Vine will be working 350 days of the year, whilst the Strictly crew do what? 30 days?
Equally, the bake-off lot are all (apparently) well up that list, just paid by the production company (with money the get exclusively from the BBC... for now).

Yeah, how many days a year does John McEnroe put in? 10? He doesn't even do every day during Wimbledon!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 13:45
If I was Claire Balding I wouldn't be happy

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 13:46
Quote:
B4thB4ck

I believe these sums cover everything that they do for the BBC, so Chris Evans would include Top Gear, Jeremy Vine does politics punditry and hosts a quiz show so it's not just for one show like Old Ken. Still they are extremely well paid and I think a change of career is needed for me, it's can't be that hard to waffle on and press play every few minutes can it?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 14:12
Today programme:

John Humphrys (£600,000 to £649,999)
Nick Robinson (£250,000 to £299,999)
Mishal Husain (£200,000 to £250,000)
Justin Webb (£150,000 to £199,999)
Sarah Montague does not earn enough to feature on the list.

Sarah Montague is a Lady though so maybe shes got enough dosh

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 14:16
Charlie Fairhead is worth every penny and more - he is the Itoje of medical prime-time drama and has kept the nursing team of that department going virtually by himself for 30 years. The guy has patched up no less than: Orlando Bloom, Kate Winslet, Julia Sawalha, David Walliams, Minnie Driver, Kathy Burke and Martin Freeman before he became a hobbit. The term 'legend' is often overused but I think that we can all agree on this one...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 14:55
Quote:
JimDaff
Quote:
B4thB4ck

I believe these sums cover everything that they do for the BBC, so Chris Evans would include Top Gear, Jeremy Vine does politics punditry and hosts a quiz show so it's not just for one show like Old Ken. Still they are extremely well paid and I think a change of career is needed for me, it's can't be that hard to waffle on and press play every few minutes can it?

I am saying that Ken Bruce's show is way better than anyone else's on the radio, just my opinion of course. Plus he had to present the radio coverage of Eurovision and deserves a medal for that.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 15:11
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
JimDaff
Quote:
B4thB4ck

I am saying that Ken Bruce's show is way better than anyone else's on the radio, just my opinion of course. Plus he had to present the radio coverage of Eurovision and deserves a medal for that.

He'll always be a point man's wogan for me, plus the traffic woman who is almost his co-host really grates on me for some reason!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 17:19
Quote:
BathMatt53
Charlie Fairhead is worth every penny and more - he is the Itoje of medical prime-time drama and has kept the nursing team of that department going virtually by himself for 30 years. The guy has patched up no less than: Orlando Bloom, Kate Winslet, Julia Sawalha, David Walliams, Minnie Driver, Kathy Burke and Martin Freeman before he became a hobbit. The term 'legend' is often overused but I think that we can all agree on this one...

Yep...If I had a £1 for every myocardial infarction or pneumothorax Charlie had ducked out on I could buy us a decent Tighthead! Strictly management and morals only with our Charlie, he is a true suvivor, got through an exploding boat on Cardiff Bay and not to mention the helicopter crash. A British Institution.

Bris nut
Bris nut (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 17:42
OMG
Only on a Bath thread

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 18:00
We can see through your disappointment Bris nut, you are still no doubt smarting because they moved Casualty and Charlie away from Bristol. (Sm132)

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 18:34
...or is that Holby Nut? OK it's a slow time of year I'll admit...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 19:23
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathMatt53

Yep...If I had a £1 for every myocardial infarction or pneumothorax Charlie had ducked out on I could buy us a decent Tighthead! Strictly management and morals only with our Charlie, he is a true suvivor, got through an exploding boat on Cardiff Bay and not to mention the helicopter crash. A British Institution.

What is Duffy on I wonder? A sensible rate it seems...

Adopted players: [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Bris nut
Bris nut (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 20:33
Sorry guys
Thought this was a rugby forum

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 21:01
Hence the O/T in the title of the thread!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 21:09
Quote:
Bris nut
Sorry guys
Thought this was a rugby forum

Feel free to stick to your own site where you can talk about smashing minor clubs by 100 points next season if you wish? A bit of light humour never hurt anyone, except Billy Bedlam of course (well, according to Garland Greene anyway).

Bris nut
Bris nut (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 21:23
Fair enough Tarquin

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 10:29
Generally the argument that these so called valuable 'stars' might be poached, so we have to pay ridiculously large amounts of basically public money to keep them, is a complete nonsense. How many national radio and tv channels could afford such largesse for such talentless individuals like Chris Evans, Matt Baker and in particular Alex Jones? If they think they are truly worth it, put it to the test and see who would pay such ridiculous sums for their services. I cannot think of any. People who have talent like Clair Balding get peanuts in comparison yet she has real ability and speaks with clarity and intelligence. Does Shearer do that?

Certainly the ladies have lost out big time, and the BBC still thinks it is a cut above the rest yet still employs Eddie Butler for goodness sake. The BBC should be made to live within its already over blown budget and not just paying the stars but also nearly 100 executives on over £100k per year. It is a self perpetuating support system for their own benefit and not the public broadcaster and servant established by Lord Reith.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 10:52
I seem to recall a discussion on these about (funding) the BBC - would be interested to see it now.

I find it more surprising not how much they earn but how out-of-touch those who evaluate that talent are. I think they'd get more viewers if they lost a good number of those atop the list.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 14:39
Bob, the sort of people we are discussing regularly change between companies, usually because one is offering them more than another.

"I think they'd get more viewers if they lost a good number of those atop the list."

I'm not sure this is true, in sporting terms whenever there is a large sporting event, the football world cup for example, I'm surprised poor the second tier of presenters, commentators and pundits that need to be drafted in are. I also think its an argument that becomes too personal, personally Graham Norton does nothing for me, but he genuinely does seem to appeal to several million people.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 16:15
I pay £7.50 a month for Netflix. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything i've watched on it since Breaking Bad concluded several years ago (though I think my daughter may well have brought the unit cost down quite a lot).

The Times newspaper online charges £6 per week. £300 per year, ffs.

If you and your plus one go to the cinema once a month you will spend considerably more than your BBC annual licence fee.

When I run out of data, 02 charge me the best part of a month's licence fee for an extra 1GB of data.

I pay more than double the amount of the annual licence fee, every month, for gas, electricity and water.

A year's worth of BBC costs 2 tanks of petrol.

The annual licence fee costs less than the VAT on an Apple laptop.

I would happily pay £5 a month just to listen to Desert Island Discs. Test Match Special has made many a long journey more enjoyable than the destination. Every time I hear the Match of the Day theme-tune I feel like i'm 10 years old.

I challenge anyone to cite a single product or service that they access, use or subscribe to at the equivalent of £12 per month which offers a 10th as much enjoyment or value as the BBC.

The BBC is, quite simply - IMO - the single greatest value product or service - possibly anywhere, in the world, ever.

Also - it is detested and persecuted by Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre - two of the most loathsome hypocrites on the planet. I'd happily pay £12 a month to continue getting their goat.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 16:35
Quote:
Optimist
I pay £7.50 a month for Netflix. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything i've watched on it since Breaking Bad concluded several years ago (though I think my daughter may well have brought the unit cost down quite a lot).
The Times newspaper online charges £6 per week. £300 per year, ffs.

If you and your plus one go to the cinema once a month you will spend considerably more than your BBC annual licence fee.

When I run out of data, 02 charge me the best part of a month's licence fee for an extra 1GB of data.

I pay more than double the amount of the annual licence fee, every month, for gas, electricity and water.

A year's worth of BBC costs 2 tanks of petrol.

The annual licence fee costs less than the VAT on an Apple laptop.

I would happily pay £5 a month just to listen to Desert Island Discs. Test Match Special has made many a long journey more enjoyable than the destination. Every time I hear the Match of the Day theme-tune I feel like i'm 10 years old.

I challenge anyone to cite a single product or service that they access, use or subscribe to at the equivalent of £12 per month which offers a 10th as much enjoyment or value as the BBC.

The BBC is, quite simply - IMO - the single greatest value product or service - possibly anywhere, in the world, ever.

Also - it is detested and persecuted by Rupert Murdoch and Paul Dacre - two of the most loathsome hypocrites on the planet. I'd happily pay £12 a month to continue getting their goat.

True, but what about Eddie Butler?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 17:06
Now that the BBC has pretty much given up showing sport I'd be more than happy for the license fee to be scrapped and for the BBC to stand on it's own feet with pay per view.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 21:27
So you not like any of it's content then OB? It works because we all pay a small amount and get a great service. If it goes to pay per vote you'll end up paying the same as the license fee for the one thing you really love to watch and have lost all the things you just want to watch.

How have you gained by that?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

21 July, 2017 21:33
Quote:
OutsideBath
Now that the BBC has pretty much given up showing sport I'd be more than happy for the license fee to be scrapped and for the BBC to stand on it's own feet with pay per view.

It's not quite that bad, there's still some live sports on but just not the big money earners. They have announced live cricket will make a return in a few years time so a step in the right direction but they will never have the money unless they create a pay TV option.

There is still some great content on the BBC and some of the best presenters. Then there is Chris Evans who laughs at his own jokes and annoys everyone I know.

I think the best presenters are worth their pay, like great sportsmen they make it look easy and like great refs you don't really notice them.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

22 July, 2017 08:13
Quote:
DanWiley
So you not like any of it's content then OB? It works because we all pay a small amount and get a great service. If it goes to pay per vote you'll end up paying the same as the license fee for the one thing you really love to watch and have lost all the things you just want to watch.

I will have gained because the BBC has absolutely nothing I wish to watch.

Chris Cook - Adopted player 2016/17

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

22 July, 2017 09:40
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
DanWiley

I will have gained because the BBC has absolutely nothing I wish to watch.

What about in the past or the future?
What about radio?
What about the website?

And perhaps more importantly what about the rest of your family? Apologies if you live alone of course.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)

22 July, 2017 17:19
Quote:
B4thB4ck

Pretty sure his salary is still in shilling and pence smiling smiley

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

22 July, 2017 17:41
Can just about imagine the freezing atmosphere where two presenters who's salaries have been revealed have to work together! Priceless! Chris Evans salary is ludicrous, but he obviously has enough money to make sure his Agent gets him a good deal - he is entertaining but not that amusing. I suppose the fact that he has a rather flaky personality when things don't go his way also detracts from his value for me. Used to be a neighbour of mine a few years ago and some of the things he got up to on his way home from the pub were priceless (and mostly harmless)!

P.s. in the next breath, e.g. item on the national news, 57 million paid for a footballer? plus two other ridiculous sums for two more rather put it in perspective??

Matt Garvey - one to add to my List of Forward Talented Adoptees since 2003/4!

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

22 July, 2017 21:51
The BBC spends more on programming (OFCOM, 2013) than the rest of the terrestrial channels combined. Yet to watch the rest of the terrestrial channels I must have a TV licence.

Yes, £120 (or whatever the licence fee is) is not a vast sum. But yet adverts on ITV are not too much of an inconvenience and they cost me nothing (not to mention the cost of the BBC's own advertising).

The BBC is in a privileged position. Yes, a lot of it's output is well received, but nevertheless is seems to use it's privileged position as an argument to compete with market forces rather than realising it has a unique opportunity to offer something that is not subject to market forces - true public broadcasting.

Could I live with a BBC that paid stars less and was a little bit more boring, but a bit more useful. Yes, and probably so could you...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>