rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

England Women
24 July, 2017 09:11
England Women effectively disbanded.

Truly shocking.

[www.ruck.co.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: England Women
24 July, 2017 09:39
That is a total disgrace imo. These women are role models for loads of young girls getting into the sport and what sort of message does it send out to them? I thought that we were supposed to be encouraging our young boys and girls to be as active as possible? Besides which the money is peanuts compared with the amount of money sloshing around the game. Shameful.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 09:57
That seems a very strange decision

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 10:18
Just shows the RFU are not fit to run the game.

I guess the RFU doesn't make enough money from women's rugby.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:03
Appalling! I feel quite angry about this.

RFU another old institution totally out of touch with UK sport.

The day after England's Women win the word cup with 27,000 attendance at Lords, that banned women until recently, the RFU basically tells the girls to get lost.

I can't imagine that rugby fans wouldn't happily vote to see funding diverted to maintain a women's team.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:04
The RFU is still the richest union in the world, right? Or are we missing something? If not, that's a disgrace.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:22
All this hot air from fans of one of the Premiership clubs that doesn't have a ladies section!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:35
Its hardly hot air BnG - we are entitled to be miffed about both? But the RFU decision was the point of the thread.

(Yes, Bath Rugby should have a Womens team).

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:38
We did have, but they left us!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:42
What happened with the Bath Ladies team? I vaguely recall them doing very well 2-3 seasons ago and then just disappearing?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:57
The BBC report says:-

'New XVs contracts will then be awarded in preparation for the 2021 Women's Rugby World Cup.'

.... But it doesn't say when that will be. It is not fair to only award contracts in a build up to a competition as some of the forwards cannot hope to get in the sevens team.

As a player you know you might not get a contract but if there is no possibility of a contract you will inevitably look elsewhere for a career.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 11:57
Don't know but England Women obviously like it here:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/16995/production/_97056529_rugby.jpg

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 12:03
We do have Bath Ladies RFC

[www.englandrugby.com]
[www.englandrugby.com]

not sure what the relationship is with Bath Rugby?

Where is Bod when you need him? Wasn't he involved with them?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 12:41
Quote:
hasta
What happened with the Bath Ladies team? I vaguely recall them doing very well 2-3 seasons ago and then just disappearing?

They have joined Bath RFC and are part of the Lambridge set up. So don't look to be supported by the club any more.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 13:58
OK so do we have any potential internationals BnG?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 19:59
Out of interest - you guys are aware that England ladies are the ONLY properly professional ladies rugby team in the world? They've been professional for about a year, and the 2 year experiment is just being discontinued at the end of the contracts.
No more disbanded than the were 2 years ago, or the entirety of their competition.

Yes it's @#$%&; yes it's a kck in the teeth; no the hyperbole here... and pretty much everywhere has nothing to do with the reality.
I am also absolutely sure that had others nations also moved to professionalism, or money had increased and provided a return on the investment, the the experiment would continue.

Like when the Churchill Cup was disbanded, rather than criticising the only union to try, it makes more sense to me to criticise all the other unions that don't want to try in the first place.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 20:34
Quote:
shipwrecked
OK so do we have any potential internationals BnG?

We don't.

I don't know whether Bath RFC at Lambridge have.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 21:36
WT, Didn't fully get that fact but I think I had an inkling, but does the fact that England were leading the way and no-one followed mean England should retract support?

By promoting and supporting the women's game in England it shows what can be achieved by women in a male dominated sport and by extension society.

It shows countries where women are not only held back but repressed and denied rights what can be achieved. What is confusing to me though is the massive disparity between the England Cricket team and England Rugby team. I challenge anyone to explain that one to me.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 21:40
I don't know much about cricket SW other than the star of that team is anya shrubsole who was born in bath and went to haysfield...that's my cricketing knowledge exhausted!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 July, 2017 22:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
I don't know much about cricket SW other than the star of that team is anya shrubsole who was born in bath and went to haysfield...that's my cricketing knowledge exhausted!

Didn't know that! It was Anya Shrubsole whole turned the game when England were getting a pasting, took 6 wickets including the on that one the final.

Excellent bit on social media showing her at Lords as a child saying, "Fantastic place, I'd love to play cricket here". Years later she wins the World Cup.

Thats why I love sport, anything can happen!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 07:52
Of course I don't think they SHOULD remove funding, and I do think that the experiment should have lasted more than just the preliminary 2 year stage. I just think that a lot of the criticisms are hyperbolic of the misinformed, Daily Heil headline type.

Women's rugby has not been disbanded in England. If it is "disgraceful" of the RFU to not renew contracts, them what descriptor would you use for the French, Kiwi, Shaffer or Irish unions who never offered a contract in the first place? Would you use the same descriptor for every rugby club everywhere (or every business of any sort) that has ever decided not to renew a contract?

After the forthcoming WRWC (and AFAICT) the RFU will still be THE stand-out leader in the field of female professional rugby. England ladies 7s will continue to be the ONLY professional side on the tour, whilst England ladies XVs will still be the best paid of any nation with the highest number of contracts albeit part-time.

ETA:
[www.punditarena.com]
4 years ago the RFU offered full-time contracts for the 7s side, and had the only professional side at the Rio Olympics. Then they increased and concentrated on the XVs game, and will have the only professional side at the WRWC. In the next 2 year cycle we'll have a fully professional 7s side going up to the Tokyo Olympics - currently looking like being the only one.
The intention is clearly stated that XVs will then be fully professional again in the lead up to the WRWC 2021.

Utterly disgraceful to be and continue to be THE world-leader in the field of professional women's rugby

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2017 08:07 by Which Tyler.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 08:31
Quote:
shipwrecked
WT, Didn't fully get that fact but I think I had an inkling, but does the fact that England were leading the way and no-one followed mean England should retract support?
By promoting and supporting the women's game in England it shows what can be achieved by women in a male dominated sport and by extension society.

It shows countries where women are not only held back but repressed and denied rights what can be achieved. What is confusing to me though is the massive disparity between the England Cricket team and England Rugby team. I challenge anyone to explain that one to me.

History. Women, particularly at private schools, have been playing cricket for many years.

They had a formidable champion in Rachael Heyhoe-Flint who was also in the forefront of the 'Long Room' campaign.

I suspect she or her example had much to do with the Board supporting women's cricket.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 10:15
Out of interest, does anyone know what the disparity between the female sports actually is?

From what I can gather, cricket turned professional in Feb 2014, and the England team earn £40k each [1]
Football earns £20k each from their clubs, plus a "top-up" if they play for England,[1] up to £50k; with this year's euro championship being the first fully professional ladies team out there [2]
As of Aug 2014 Rugby turned professional for the 7s game, and after Rio had "more than £1M" invested in 16 full-time, 16 part-time and 16 short-term contracts [3] if we take a hypothetical look at those contracts, then we'd need something along the lines of 16x£33k, 16x£22k and 16x£11k to get to £1.056M. this new reduction will leave us with 17 full-time and an unknown number of part-time and short-term contract; in addition to the £800k the RFU are putting the way of the new semi-predicted league [4], and contracts earned there

[1] [www.theguardian.com]
[2] [www.theguardian.com]
[3] [www.telegraph.co.uk]
[4] [www.punditarena.com]

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2017 10:21 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 10:43
BnG - what difference does it make if Bath have a team or not?

WT - well done to England for being pioneers, but picking up then dropping people's livelihoods must surely have a devastating effect on them in the short term and the game in the medium/long term. See the impact on many of the National Leagues once funding dried up in the last few years.

Overall, with the strides being made by athletics and now football/cricket in women's sport, rugby runs the risk of being left behind.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 11:16
Quote:
Rawce
WT - well done to England for being pioneers, but picking up then dropping people's livelihoods must surely have a devastating effect on them in the short term and the game in the medium/long term. See the impact on many of the National Leagues once funding dried up in the last few years.

Overall, with the strides being made by athletics and now football/cricket in women's sport, rugby runs the risk of being left behind.

I was only pointing out that many posters were showing indignation on a topic that the club they support show a poor example.

We are told we should all be subscribing to gender equality/equal opportunities etc. In this instance the club sets a worse example when they ditched the women several years ago than the RFU who are the current focus of criticism.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 11:29
No, you're simply trying to silence others by using a slightly related subject.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 11:40
I think Which Tyler answered the argument above.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 12:03
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Rawce

I was only pointing out that many posters were showing indignation on a topic that the club they support show a poor example.

We are told we should all be subscribing to gender equality/equal opportunities etc. In this instance the club sets a worse example when they ditched the women several years ago than the RFU who are the current focus of criticism.

I don't think there is any silencing going on, some airing of views perhaps, I think the difference between the Bath v England women's team funding is a big one though.

The RFU make massive profits based on the efforts of clubs and academies. England can clearly afford to fund an England team. It might not run at a profit to start with but neither did cricket.

Bath RFC rely on our owner to cover shortfalls.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 12:58
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Rawce

....... Bath RFC rely on our owner to cover shortfalls.

I understood they had several hundreds of thousands from the Trustees(?) on the Bath FC buy out (excuse the terminology). Do they get money from Bruce as well?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 13:35
Don't know BnG are we cross purposes? The point I was making was that England have lots of spare money.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 July, 2017 17:03

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 11:30
I don't think this is just a problem with Womens rugby more womens sport in traditionally 'male' sports, there will never be equality until the product is equally marketable, as much as we harp on about loyalty to club country etc, professional sport is a business and expenditure is allocated accordingly and how much will a business pump into something, there has to have a return, so I think the RFU in this case is diverting the funding for the next major tournament which is the 7s and then when thats over will flip flop back again. Do I agree with this no, but then do I understand yes. Reminds me of the argument for a womens tour de France, who will organise it fund it? ASO said no as they can't sell it to sponsors/tv at a high enough price to cover the logistical costs and make money, towns/cities didn't want to shut down for the 36hrs it would take to host a finish again because of the loss of business for very little return, hence why it's become a 1 day(2 days this year) add on around the mens race.
Then again look at football, Manchester Unioted one of the richest clubs in the world hasn't got a ladies team, mind you football is unsustainable with what they are paying to/for players.
Sports are now at the mercy of market forces for better or worse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 11:42
After the way they treated Lichfield ladies (i.e. you're too small a market) I think this move was entirely inevitable.

I don't disagree with the ambitions to make women's rugby more sustainable but I do disagree with the approach and those guiding it.

Cutting funding to succesful teams and structures is a horrible message to send.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 13:02
If we're going to be inclusive.

Wheel chair tennis at Wimbledon.

What about wheel chair rugby and the RFU?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 13:48
The key point here is that its not about club support for women, I fully get it might not be financially viable in some areas.

What we are talking about here is an England, The RFU have pots and pots of money, they get the countries best players from the clubs in England, reap in the TV rights, knick our players for internationals then say they can't afford a few shirts.

I know that's a simplistic view but you get the drift.

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 13:53
Wheel chair rugby is an indoor sport whereas wheelchair tennis uses the same courts as tennis.

shipwrecked that may be true but with no other professional international womens teams or tournament (15s) coming up who are they going to play ?? therefore why have them as professionals ?? whats the end game??. Some of them will be given contracts for the upcoming 7s so not disbanded as such.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 13:55
I still fail to see how an approximately 50% increase in funding = disbanded

RAEBURN SHIELD

Trev's Big Tackle
Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 14:06
Is there no women's 6 nations?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 16:48
Yes, there is; and England will still be putting a team out, and paying them with part-time / short-term contracts

RAEBURN SHIELD

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

26 July, 2017 22:25
England Women win the World Cup, then last season they win the Grand Slam, their reward???? Cut their contracts! To££ers!

Puxonian
Puxonian (IP Logged)

27 July, 2017 11:38
I wonder if they've any tight heads available

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 17:14
Just caught up with today's game. Good result but Spain pretty awful tbh.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 19:03
Job done.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 20:58
Anyone else think that Flats looked disinterested and just a little uncomfortable?

BTW I personally know one of the girls affected by this change and her contract was sub 20K. Not exactly bank breaking numbers. Disappointed in the RFU.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 22:42
RFU, shame on you. Let's hope England retain their World Cup and ram the trophy up the old farts @#$%&'s.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 06:16
It feels like a backwards step and unfair to remove their contracts considering the success that has been built with Women Rugby's In England.

Some people have expressed the opinion though that having one professional team amongst amateurs isn't exactly building the sport. I can't see Spain becoming professional, Australia can barely afford their men's side and NZ seem unable or unwilling to fund their players full time. I think that's a fair point as it does make the playing field tilted in our favor.

Regardless of the contract stuff, we've got some cracking players though!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 08:38
Quote:
BathMatt53
Just caught up with today's game. Good result but Spain pretty awful tbh.

Spain beaten by an Eng side with 9(?) uncapped players.

Puts Spanish Women's Rugby in perspective.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 15:51
Another win - 56 v 13 with loads of handling errors on England's part.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 17:40
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
Another win - 56 v 13 with loads of handling errors on England's part.

And not much evidence of Paul Burke's coaching of the kickers having an effect. Looking forward to the match v USA on Thursday, a proper test. The England full back, daughter of a Bath stalwart, had a great game, has dancing feet just like JJ...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 18:50
I thought that ex-Bath player Marlie Packer had a huge impact on the flank - really impressive game from her given that Italy gave them a little trouble at the breakdown in the 6N. After the ABs destroyed Hong Kong by over 120-0 earlier I really hope to see the two teams play each other - would be another fantastic clash between them.

Agree Clarkey the wind looked difficult but Scarratt had a couple of real howlers.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 19:24
Several very impressive performances by the England girls. Lots of errors, but many of those down to the pressure exerted by a talented and hugely determined Italy side.

England to meet NZ in the final?

PG

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 13:30
Absolutely destroying USA in first 20 mins. On another level.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 13:54
A v good first half, good control of the tight phases, good decision making out wide and odds on for the s/f. The #3 has a good turn of pace too...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 14:07
33 v 7 HT

Beeb Link

Emily Scarratt getting the kicks, as well.

2nd half

40 v 7

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 14:10
On the ITV hub (app) as well if you want pictures and are not near a TV.

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 14:16
England get their 7th try

47 v 7

and then USA get an un-converted try

47 v 12

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 14:26
47 v 19

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 14:40
It's not exactly gone quiet, as England are defending feverishly, trying to prevent USA scoring a bonus-point try.

47 v 19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 14:44
Our 6 and 7 class again. Matthews at 6 WoTM after some huge hits.

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 14:46
Ft

47 v 26

LBP try in extra time

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 14:55
Wonderful silky running from USA wing to clinch the BP try. Good skills too transferring the ball from L to R hand. A great game from both teams, onwards and upwards for England, well played...

BTW - has Flats put on a kg or two since the end of last season?

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 16:37
I thought I heard one of the commentators say that Women's Rugby was being taken on as an official varsity sport by US colleges, in the same way as baseball, hockey, and basketball are. This would mean that they would benefit from major sponsorship in the sport. WRWC 2021, anyone?

Mike the Taxi

17 August, 2017 20:03
The way the French have played tonight against Ireland (21 v 0 at 74 mins), and the likelihood of England having to meet them in the semi final, I think the English ladies will have to raise their game, and be aware of what happens when a lineout is uncontested (90% of the Irish lineouts were uncontested by the French).

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

18 August, 2017 08:07
Why is there no SA side?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 August, 2017 08:41
[www.sarugbymag.co.za]

Looks like they retreated to spend all of their resources on bringing through their young kids and when they are ready they will relaunch a super-team...

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

18 August, 2017 10:17
France did look good, will push England hard but the All Blacks look unreal .

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 08:32
Just went to the BBC website to check date and time of kick off and all the teams are listed name of country women

Why? It is England v France, pure and simple

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 August, 2017 10:28
'England full-back Danielle Waterman has been ruled out of the Women's Rugby World Cup final with concussion.' Massive blow for her and England, she has been in great form.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 19:06
Seems no arms tackles are fine in NZ whatever your gender!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 19:11
So after 4 tackles in a row NZ get a (Sm21) for dumping.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 19:31
Great game, our back row in particular have been consistently great throughout this tournament. Really impressed with our tight head as well, really getting through the work.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 19:45
Yes, Matt I'm enjoying this, McClean having a really strong game in all areas. England 17-10 NZ.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 19:45
Fantastic game, England sucked up early NZ pressure and grew into the game. YC call spot on & one shoulder charge missed. Now need to keep calm and carry on. Come on ladies...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:10
Game getting away from them

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:15
Desperately need some possession 15 to go, who is fittest?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:16
Totally, 20:80 to Nzl this half

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:20
Game over. They deserve it based on this 2nd half for sure.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:33
Deeply disappointing 2nd half from England, not convinced by their replacement strategy either. Close but no cigar for England and pro contract suspension for XV's looks justified tonight...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:39
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Deeply disappointing 2nd half from England, not convinced by their replacement strategy either. Close but no cigar for England and pro contract suspension for XV's looks justified tonight...

What?? They were beaten by a more powerful side, who deserved to win. You seem to imply England threw it away, that's not what I saw. Not only that its a young side and they were missing Waterman.

But then to imply they don't deserve funding because they got to the World Cup Final is, I'm sorry to say, nonsense.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:44
It is indeed pretty harsh! NZ played out of their skin that half, well done to them.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:47
England XV full time from early 2017, NZ had full time 7's players supported by dedicated amateurs and won the world cup. England will now have full time 7's players supported by dedicated amateurs, looks like the right call to me...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 20:56
Early 17? That's only a few months ago? I think that it was the start of this season. Besides which it's not even big money, just enough to mean that that don't need to work. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they get the same per year as the men get per game.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

There has to be long term investment if you want to bring the kids through to be the stars of the future in my view. Losing in a final against an inspired NZ team doesn't seem like a resounding failure to me, even if they wanted to win.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:00
England lacked a couple of abrasive carriers in the forwards, other than our blindside (Matthews?) none of our forwards regularly made any hard yards up the middle, unlike the kiwi front row, that was the biggest difference for me...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:08
England players had more time to prepare than any WRWC opponent and looked good value for that investment until the 2nd half of tonight's game. Sport is a results business and England came up short tonight despite their full time advantage. Melville is closer to this than any on ere and he called it a few weeks ago, I'm just agreeing with him

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:17
Eng were holding there own until the subs at 56 mins.

NZ Front row stayed on and dominated in the loose.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:23
So I guess we stop funding the men's game as well then, our 15s haven't won a WC since 2003!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:31
England are current 6N champions and were the holders of the RWC, they got to the final and lost by a small margin.

Funding doesn't guarantee 100% success, but you would expect them to be in contention for trophies. This they have clearly repeatedly done with a young side.

I don't agree with Melville and I don't agree with you either. I just wonder what your opinion will be when England win the 6N without funding. Somehow I doubt you will be calling for funding reinstatement!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:37
Quote:
BathMatt53
So I guess we stop funding the men's game as well then, our 15s haven't won a WC since 2003!

They had become overpaid underachievers until EJ arrived, they are still overpaid but achieving more thank goodness. I like to think they would play for the honour of wearing the shirt but those days are behind us all in 20th century. England have underachieved for years in spite of being well resourced since RWC2003. Clearly money doesn't buy success as our Bruce well knows...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:50
Quote:
shipwrecked
England are current 6N champions and were the holders of the RWC, they got to the final and lost by a small margin.
Funding doesn't guarantee 100% success, but you would expect them to be in contention for trophies. This they have clearly repeatedly done with a young side.

I don't agree with Melville and I don't agree with you either. I just wonder what your opinion will be when England win the 6N without funding. Somehow I doubt you will be calling for funding reinstatement!

The funding of the England women does provide competitive advantage for them, hence their 6N win and raised expectations for this WRWC. They were the only team in a F/time position going into this tournament and couldn't respond to the threat the black ferns brought in the 2nd half. Whilst the players will grow and learn from the experience I'm not convinced F/time contracts for XV's are justified based on this this tournament...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:50
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
BathMatt53

They had become overpaid underachievers until EJ arrived, they are still overpaid but achieving more thank goodness. I like to think they would play for the honour of wearing the shirt but those days are behind us all in 20th century. England have underachieved for years in spite of being well resourced since RWC2003. Clearly money doesn't buy success as our Bruce well knows...

So are you saying austerity is the answer? Look how Lottery funding has changed the amount of medals of all sorts in sports like Athletics, Cycling, Rowing, Gymnastics, Martial Arts etc.

To support funding withdrawal simply because we lost in a close final of the RWC is illogical.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 August, 2017 21:53
I don't think that you (or they) are giving it enough time to really bring through the new talent that makes the difference. What they got was the best chance for the existing players to bring their very best game...as it turns out it wasn't quite enough.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

27 August, 2017 11:48
Poor defence and some weak tackling cost us. The kicks also went straight to hand instead of hitting grass. A good game to watch but areas to work on which might not improve with the pro situation.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

27 August, 2017 17:52
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
BathMatt53

So are you saying austerity is the answer? Look how Lottery funding has changed the amount of medals of all sorts in sports like Athletics, Cycling, Rowing, Gymnastics, Martial Arts etc.

To support funding withdrawal simply because we lost in a close final of the RWC is illogical.

This BBC article suggests RFU investment in the womens' game is increasing [see £800k for the elite league] rather than decreasing so no austerity rather a re-ordering of priorities.

Lottery funding has indeed transformed a number of sports in recent years but UK Sport have also reordered their funding priorities, including wheelchair rugby, as this Guardian article reported in 2016.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 00:17
So you are saying on the one hand itís a results issue and that Englandís womenís game has failed and should have their funding withdrawn.

I would have thought 6Nís champions and a World Cup final is a success but you clearly donít agree.

Then you say you support the promotion of a womenís league. Please explain how the best women rugby players from this league go on to win tournaments without funding.

When you have a winning team donít you do all you can to maintain that and generate a winning culture? In 2003 after winning the RWC the RFU wasted a chance to do that, now they are doing it again.
It's an embarrassment that 0.2% of the RFU's annual funding goes into the women's game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net