rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

bathsupporter
bathsupporter (IP Logged)

Has Todd let us down?
01 August, 2017 16:54
It was only months ago Blackadder promised supporters and others that we would be signing 6-7 players for next season. We've filled those places with James Philips (decent) and Craig Mitchell ( pointless). We have almost a month until the prem kicks off. Todd broke his promise, and he has let the fans down as a result, who were confident he had a recruitment drive in operation. Make the signings Bath! Thoughts?

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

Re: Has Todd let us down?
01 August, 2017 16:56
I'm sure TB doesn't actually do the deals.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 16:58
My first thought was nonsense.

I can't remember exactly what he said but I never thought of it as more than a hope. I suspect it was always something of a missquote.

Even then, I don't think we can really want 6 more players.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 16:59
Stupid question

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 17:15
Sorry, but the poster seems to think this is footie.
Doubt in reality whether Todd has the final say.
Secondly, perhaps as we have reached the upper limits of the salary cap, there ain't no money left for more.
Thirdly, don't be so sure that top players actually want to sign up for Bath these days?
I await the usual fanatical loyal blinkered response!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 17:21
No he hasnt let us down,he could have gone and thrown money around and signed loads of players but that don't work as the Ford experiment find out.
We need a team not a bunch of individuals

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 17:43
No

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 17:55
Absolutely not, any blame for our failure to sign players 100% lies with Tarquin and/or Bruce

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 18:36
He has explained the situation exactly in the chron. Not sure there is much more explaining he needs to do. Dai wrote a letter to the wasps fans explaining something similar. The (available) quality isn't really out there at the moment it seems or if it is then the market is too expensive.

(Besides which he promised nothing he said that 'he would like to bring in...' and 'if all goes to plan')

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 18:37
Sorry in my opinion this is ludicrous. The idea of TB & TM letting us down is preposterous. Both these coaches could have landed better jobs than here. I know this to be true from contacts both close to them and in the Southern Hemisphere. A friend of mine in the know in NZ reckons Steve Hanson et al & Steve Tew hold TB in very high regard and a potential successor to Hanson possibly with Rennie, Umanga & Scott Robinson.

Somewhere along the line the communication line has become compromised personally I feel this is at executive level but only time will tell.

Personally I feel we need to get behind TB, the coaching team & squad to give them all the support we can and cheer them through to a successful season. C'Mon Bath.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 20:15
Good grief, did your mother never tell you you can't always get what you want? In an ideal world TB might have wanted 5 or 6 players but not just any 5 or 6.
We could have had say Halfpenny but he wasn't what was wanted or needed. This is no ones fault, we will just have to wait a bit longer for the right player(s).

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 21:35
It is certainly not Todd's fault & probably not anyone else's. It is just how things have turned out. However, it is clear that Todd feels there are gaps in our squad & our inability to fill them means we are going into the new season with some potential weaknesses & that is not a good place to be. It is also possible that the rush to take up season tickets was to some extent based on those gaps being filled so there will be a number of disappointed supporters. If we hit the ground running, have minimal further injuries & show that we have worked on things during the pre-season we could have a decent season but that is by no means certain. There will be a lot of finger crossing going on.

by
by (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 21:38
Did anyone hear Pat Lam on the sports panel for radio Bristol?

He spoke about how important it was to nurture local talent and bring foreigners who would only help bring the best out your squad. Pat's example was about him wanting a TH prop and his assistants coming back with a bunch of South African players, he said he'd rather have a local guy and brought in someone from Cleve rfc (IIRC) on a trial basis, saying that he has given the lad an opportunity and a long term deal is down to him.

I hope Todd wants to run a similar style for Bath and so far he has done so. If the right guy wasn't available over the summer then so be it.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 23:07
No he has not, but it is understandable to be disappointed.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

01 August, 2017 23:58
I have to say this subject post is ridiculous and IMO completely unfounded.

Our two lead coaches have been busting a gut to improve things at the club, after the first season of swimming against the tide of the 'Ford fiasco and fallout' and all the upset and recrimination caused by it. They should be both commended for doing a decent job and given a chance to put things right this season.

I am sure they would love to sign more players. but the best are both expensive and not available. Like Dai Young says, it is better to develop a youngster than sign a 'superstar' who might not perform and just pick up the pay cheque and upset his other team mates. There are many players out there who are not worth the money or offer much over what we already have.

If anyone has let the club down, it is certain players who have not or will not perform at their best for either the club or their fellow team mates. The coaches only prepare the team, the players implement or should do so what has been planned and by dint of their efforts or lack of it on the field of play.

Personally, I hope TB & TM stay around for a few years as I believe in the long run Bath Rugby will prosper under their stewardship.

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 05:58
I was at the Forum on Monday. Pat Lam balanced his comments about focusing on local talent by emphasising that it's a professional game and that sometimes you also have to go to the marketplace to get the right player.
Charlie Ewels spoke very positively about his Academy experience at Bath and backed up what we've heard about the focus on getting the team culture right during pre- season.
Pat Lam is impressive - Briz have got a
good 'un there - but we knew that. Mind you, I did have to intervene and tell him to keep his hands off Charlie Ewels when he tried (light heartedly) to recruit him!
Todd and Tabs will do for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 06:05 by Devonport Boy.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 07:01
No he hasn't but I think he was guilty of raising our expectations regarding player recruitment which remain unfulfilled at the moment. He has explained where we are, what we're doing and that's that. I am still to be convinced about the TB/TM coaching axis but am looking forward to the new season and hope we see the fruits of their labours in a winning game plan and entertaining playing style.

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 07:30
I think he has played a blinder frankly. What on Earth would we have talked about since the end of the Lions tour if not the signings saga?

Bravo Mr Blackadder, bravo!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 07:32
Quote:
Clarkey3k
No he hasn't but I think he was guilty of raising our expectations regarding player recruitment which remain unfulfilled at the moment. He has explained where we are, what we're doing and that's that. I am still to be convinced about the TB/TM coaching axis but am looking forward to the new season and hope we see the fruits of their labours in a winning game plan and entertaining playing style.

I'd just settle for a winning game plan and worry about the entertainment later.

I agree TB was a little na´ve in his statement on the number of incoming players he'd like as this was always going to raise expectation on how competitive we are going to be this season.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 08:14
6 players is too many to integrate into side in a season. I would be happy with 3 max, maybe 2 stars. Clearly we arent there yet.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 08:46
We have plenty of numbers and quality for the first month or two and if there were no such thing as injuries, it would do for the season. I'd imagine there will be 3-4 new faces before the season's out. Whether they are permanent signings that TB is patiently waiting to bring on board, or injury replacements who knows.

I'd still like to see another prop that strikes the fear of god into the opposition when they see the teamsheet, but they don't grow on trees.

Scrum-half is a situation that could go either way. An early injury to Kahn and, frankly, our season could easily go down the tubes.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 10:02
Quote:
Optimist
Scrum-half is a situation that could go either way. An early injury to Kahn and, frankly, our season could easily go down the tubes.

There is clearly a reasonable chance of that happening but it seems that the coaches have faith in Cooke. We have to hope that they have worked with him & he will grasp any opportunity that comes his way for his own career as well as for the team.

kingofthehill
KingoftheHill (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 11:04
Quote:
Devonport Boy
I was at the Forum on Monday. Pat Lam balanced his comments about focusing on local talent by emphasising that it's a professional game and that sometimes you also have to go to the marketplace to get the right player.
Charlie Ewels spoke very positively about his Academy experience at Bath and backed up what we've heard about the focus on getting the team culture right during pre- season.
good 'un there - but we knew that. Mind you, I did have to intervene and tell him to keep his hands off Charlie Ewels when he tried (light heartedly) to recruit him!

I thought that was a serious approach to Ewels! (You heard it here first)

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 12:57
Quote:
Optimist
We have plenty of numbers and quality for the first month or two and if there were no such thing as injuries, it would do for the season. I'd imagine there will be 3-4 new faces before the season's out. Whether they are permanent signings that TB is patiently waiting to bring on board, or injury replacements who knows.
I'd still like to see another prop that strikes the fear of god into the opposition when they see the teamsheet, but they don't grow on trees.

Banahan can play S/H. Good hands and club servant...

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

by
by (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 13:16
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
Devonport Boy

What club wouldn't want to sign Ewels, already 5 England caps at 22 and a few seasons of premiership rugby under his belt, the kind of player you can really build a team around.

West Wilts Wanderer

02 August, 2017 13:24
Absolutely Not.

The stuff coming about about squad ethos is much more important in my mind than payer recruitment (hypocritically tho I would like another IC!, it is mentality, culture and behaviour that has hindered Bath in the recent past. I would hate us Bath fans to only be satisfied if we become the PSG of the rugby world and just try and buy the title, with stellar names that spend most of the season away on international duties.
Gaps should be given to Academy players to show their stuff, we reap the benefits in the long term as we have with Ewels, Mercer and Ellis..

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 13:27
Didn't he also captain the England U20s? Was it the year before Itoje? Zach also captained England U20 this year so not only do we have good players coming through they also have good leadership qualities - never to be underestimated.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 13:40
Quote:
hemington
Didn't he also captain the England U20s? Was it the year before Itoje? Zach also captained England U20 this year so not only do we have good players coming through they also have good leadership qualities - never to be underestimated.
Ewels was 2015 U20s Captain the year after Itoje.
Jack walker was 2016 U20s Captain the year after Ewels.
And as you say Zach was 2017 U20s Captain.
Plenty of leadership potential in out young players.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 13:56
Oh, and in answer to the thread title... No.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 13:56 by dcsh.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 20:48
No.

Can we have a separate board for toddlers please.

HOP

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 August, 2017 21:51
Quote:
sid the seagull
No.

HOP

Are Toddlers Todd Blackadder fans, if so then I guess I'm a toddler?, I hope this doesn't affect my application to Old Prostrates though.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 07:35
But he pwomised!

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 14:58
Haha very eloquently put Mr.Balls.
And yes so am I s'wrecked.

FLAP

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 15:44
I'm sure it's been done before, but "In Todd We Trust".

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 18:59
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
sid the seagull
No.

HOP

Are Toddlers Todd Blackadder fans, if so then I guess I'm a toddler?, I hope this doesn't affect my application to Old Prostrates though.

Old Prostates heartily approve of Toddy because of his hair(and beard) colour, We suspect that he is Boldngrey!!!!!

Re your application - we still await your cheque.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 10:28
I wonder to what degree BC has learnt from the apparent previous 'I wan' tha' one' recruitment policy, and the club are going about their business in a sensible manner.

AGS
AGS (IP Logged)

07 August, 2017 11:53
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
Devonport Boy

Was clearly done tongue in cheek. Ewels was asked about the difference between playing and training for England compared to his club, and he was talking about how it was interesting and challenging to try a different way, at which point Pat said "how'd you fancy trying the Bristol way" with a huge grin on his face. Was just an off the cuff humorous response to what Ewels had said - no need for you to get concerned!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net