rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

Dunn gets England call
03 August, 2017 16:21
Great news for Tom Dunn as he has been called up to train with England at their August training camp! Usual suspects involved but no sign of Joseph though I believe players from the Lions squad were allowed to opt out.

[url=http://[www.englandrugby.com]]Announcement[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 16:23 by JimDaff.

by
by (IP Logged)

Re: Dunn gets England call
03 August, 2017 16:59
Well deserved

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:01
I find JJ's omission a little odd TBH, Anthony Watson is in there for the Monday and he played more than JJ

A lot of young players in there as well including our Sam Underhill and Nick Isiekwe, ALSO Manu's back!!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:09
It was optional for Lions. Daly's not there either.

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:11
Well done, Tom. Deserved!

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:12
JJ obviously opted out (though I wish Ant had taken the break).

Genuinely pleased for Tom. Whatever the circumstances that confirms how well he has come along.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:18
Good news but isn't he unfit for a while yet? Does he just go and soak up the vibe (or 'culture' or whatever the management phrase is)? The rest are having conditioning reviews etc.

Barnetsarrie12
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:37
I think Joseph opted out as did 10 other England players, the only players going are the ones in the country at the moment and they are not doing any training, only coaching review with Eddie and some medical check up

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 17:53
Those Lions attending are there for one day only.

PG

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 18:34
It was optional for all the lions - and those turning up are just there for medicals and updates, not training, not gym work and not sitting in meetings for hours on end.

I would strongly suspect that those whop have turned up basically had nothing better to do, whilst those absent may well be out of the country at the moment, or getting some R&R in with the family somewhere.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 August, 2017 20:08
Actually I strongly suspect for the Lions it *has* to be optional as they're still in their contractual rest period.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 04:30
I'm always impressed with the detailed information you chaps seem to traul up regarding such get together (Sm14)

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 10:18
No Tom Wood is a good sign. Wilson impressed on the tour and deserves a go. SOB is the level we are looking at. We are still behind the top sides at 9 and 15. Daly, Watson or Nowell should be given a go at 15.

Mercer must feel unlucky and will have to wait for the next cycle.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 11:55
Some very interesting calls here. Glad that some of the old guard have been left out as Eddie looks to focus on the youngsters this Autumn to blood a few in the 6 Nations too.

For me the likes of Hartley, Wood, Haskell and Robshaw (less so) may really have to raise their games to keep places with the talented youngsters we have coming through!

Hartley for me is most under threat following Jamie George's Lions tour - not to mention Tommy Taylor, Luke Cowan Dickie and our own Tom Dunn coming through!

The senior back row chaps have got Underhill, Wilson, the Curry twins and more breathing down their necks too which all makes for great competition for places and is surely only good for English rugby!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 12:21
Quote:
cb2
No Tom Wood is a good sign. Wilson impressed on the tour and deserves a go. SOB is the level we are looking at. We are still behind the top sides at 9 and 15. Daly, Watson or Nowell should be given a go at 15.
Mercer must feel unlucky and will have to wait for the next cycle.

Eddie specifically told Mercer what it was about him he didn't like currently, before Argentina. I dont think we know what the issue was?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 13:37 by woodpecker.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 13:19
I thought that in the last junior World Cup games Zach was awesome in the loose with brilliant offloads but didn't get really down and dirty in the tight play. He was always standing off rucks etc. To be first / second receiver? That is about the only 'weakness' that I could pick up in his game?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 13:37
Quote:
BathMatt53
I thought that in the last junior World Cup games Zach was awesome in the loose with brilliant offloads but didn't get really down and dirty in the tight play. He was always standing off rucks etc. To be first / second receiver? That is about the only 'weakness' that I could pick up in his game?

Yes Matt, I think it was discussed a bit on here, it might not be a weakness to us or other coaches but Eddie likes to see full commitment, so perhaps he wants a second look later on in the season to see if he changes his game.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 13:40
Although I like Eddie's approach generally. Highlighting an area of weakness can become a self fulfilling prophecy like Roko, all the commentators latch onto it.

I know Zac got some grief from the commentators, for dropping out of the game at times, was it Monye and Flats. At least Eddie didnt say what it was in his case

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 14:22
As if to prove a point Eddie's latest offering is simply designed to shake it all up.

Best bits for me.

He'll play Manu if he is fit.
Marcus Smith is the best young 10 in England, and will put pressure on the 'old uns' Ford and Farrell.
Anthony Watson has made a big step up
Definitely a few players didn't perform. (I presume England)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 16:17
"It's all dependent on the attitude of the players. To play for England is a privilege. If they think they are above playing for England, then they don't want to play for England, so it's not something I need to worry about too much."

Whats that then, a black mark for anyone who didnt turn up for the 'optional' training?

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 16:19
Has anyone else well and truly gotten off the Manu Tuilagi hype train?

He reminds me of Julian Savea - everybody was overly excited a number of years ago when the ability to be big and run quickly was impressive but the game has started moving in a more skills based direction and I am not so sure he will is as impressive given how tightly teams defend now and his inability to distribute well from centre which is becoming an increasingly important skill.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2017 16:22
I would take Julian Savea in a heartbeat, he remains class whether slightly off form or not. Can't comment on Manu as we haven't seen him actually play a game for so long.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

05 August, 2017 08:05
I am not sure why Eddie chooses to let the player work on the weaknesses from the outside. Wade might learn something in the England set up, as might Mercer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Bath Poll

Where do you think we'll finish this season?

See results > Submit >>