rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

Starting back row?
08 August, 2017 14:40
Seeing as Louw may be available for the first game of the season, if all fit, who's your starting back row?

Faletau is a nailed on at 8 and, personally, I'd be sorely tempted to start Louw and Underhill together, with captain Garvey in the second row alongside Attwood.

Or, Leicester away, opening game of the season, is 4 Attwood 5 Ewels/Charteris 6 Garvey 7 Louw 8 Faletau 20 Underhill the more pragmatic option.

And, if you start Garvey at 6, there's an argument for having Underhill and Mercer Z on the bench. So lots of high-quality choices. A 'good problem to have', as they say.

Thoughts? Selections?

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

Re: Starting back row?
08 August, 2017 15:08
I think Frans and Sam will be vying for the 7 slot come what may simply because that is what they are both best at. Garvs is way too important at 6 to not start.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 23:12
I'd start Garvey for sure. Personally I think ewels and Atwood may become our first choice second row (which is harsh on stooke, though he is only young) which places underhill on the bench with Mercer since Garvs can move to the row if need be. Faletau and Louw lack the sheer bulk of Garvey and I think we really missed him last season. As for Underhill, I think he will flourish, but he is not a starter yet and that is proper order.

Underhill and Mercer are also fab for impact, whereas Garvs performs more of a Peter O'mahoney/Sam whitelock role in being the bloke who does the work others don't want to which slows down the ball and enables others to shine. He does also have excellent hands and makes a fair few turnovers for a certified bigman. It's also beneficial to have a club captain who plays the game!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 05:51
Where does Mercer fit in?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 06:42
Starting to think that we won't see the start of the season anyway if The Donald and Kim JI up the ante any more. At least it would save us making this difficult second / back row decision...every mushroom cloud and all that.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 06:52
I prefer the back row dilemma TBH Matt!

We have to start with familiar format in my view Flo Faletau and Garvey, fitness permitting. Then bring on the youth! Exciting prospects and depth.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 06:59
Quote:
cb2
Where does Mercer fit in?

If you mean Guy then it is a question he has probably asked Todd a fair bit

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 07:56
I meant the new Parisse. The game needs forwards with skill.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 08:05
If we want to build a half decent culture at the club, we've got to play Garvey at 6, as it stands. Forcing the talented, but new, young and untried guy into a shirt, at the expense of a player who I think currently owns it, because it sounds good on paper seems like just the way to build a team full of *****.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 08:10
And it would be good to have a Captain that plays in the 1st XV most of the time this year.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 08:25
Count me in the Garvey, Louw, Faletau gang; with Underhill on the bench.
I'd then be looking to play around with Ewels and ZMercer in the 19 shirt depending on form, fitness and the opposition (and assuming a Charteris Attwood lock combo)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 09:06
Z Mercer to be on the bench and starting at 8, when Faletau is away. Move him on quick like Itoje. Class will shine through.

by
by (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 10:09
Garvey, Louw and Faletau for sure. Grant, Underhill or a second row replacement on the bench.

Shame Ellis will be out for the season, though the silver lining is that Underhill will get plenty of game time.

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 10:29
Quote:
by
Garvey, Louw and Faletau for sure. Grant, Underhill or a second row replacement on the bench.
Shame Ellis will be out for the season, though the silver lining is that Underhill will get plenty of game time.

Is Ellis out for the whole of next season? I knew he would miss some through injury but not all!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 10:33
If Underhill plays like he did at Ospreys he will be difficult to leave out!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 10:47
On 31st July he Chron said that Ellis is out 'until the spring' with his ACL injury. So, sometime between 20 March 2018 (yippee) and 21 June 2018 (booo).

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 10:49
Louw, Faletau and Garvey for the big games with Underhill on bench I suspect.

The beauty of having such strength in depth is you can alternate your bench and starters and we lose barely any talent just a little experience with Underhill or Z Mercer on instead of Louw and Faletau.

I suspect Underhill will get a fair bit of game time at the start of the year with Flouw being rested a little or making more bench appearances whilst he returns from injury as Flouw's experience will be more required as a starter during the AI's and 6 Nations when we lose Faletau. That means during those periods Flouw can start a few more games with Garvey and Z Mercer and there are still 2 experienced guys and 1 up and comer in the back row.

Otherwise we will end up with Underhill, Z Mercer and Garvey which is a little green perhaps - albeit Underhill has good experience with Ospreys and senior England team compared to Mercer.

Either way we have some superb options to choose from so I really don't mind who starts!!

by
by (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 11:09
Big Dog, we've also got Grant at 8.

A backrow of Garvey, Louw and Grant with Z. Mercer on the bench still beats most IMO.

I do wonder how much game time Philips will get this season, if we don't manage to sign another TH lock I could see him getting quite a few appearances, he adds a lot of bulk to the pack and we seemed to struggle without Attwood last season.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 11:48
INMHO against Leicester you need to firstly match fire with fire and as such have a heavy weight pack starting in the back row I would definitely be starting with MG, TF, FL in fact my starting pack would be Catt, Walker, Knigt, Attwood, Chateris or Ewels, MG, TF, FL on the bench Auterac, Charles, whichever TH is fit and available, Mercer, Underhill, Grant against the Tigers it is always handy to have a 6/2 split on the bench that means we have a complete front row and back row change if required.

We all know Tigers will no matter how good a back line they have, will want to dominate up front it is in their DNA. If we can match them and tire out their starting front 5 I think we will really have a chance and with the starting back row and the replacements we must aim to pressurize GF, for one thing we learned is if you get to him he cannot handle sustained pressure, which is probably why he missed out on the Lions tour.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 09:37
Quote:
Ali1969
INMHO against Leicester you need to firstly match fire with fire and as such have a heavy weight pack starting in the back row I would definitely be starting with MG, TF, FL in fact my starting pack would be Catt, Walker, Knigt, Attwood, Chateris or Ewels, MG, TF, FL on the bench Auterac, Charles, whichever TH is fit and available, Mercer, Underhill, Grant against the Tigers it is always handy to have a 6/2 split on the bench that means we have a complete front row and back row change if required.
We all know Tigers will no matter how good a back line they have, will want to dominate up front it is in their DNA. If we can match them and tire out their starting front 5 I think we will really have a chance and with the starting back row and the replacements we must aim to pressurize GF, for one thing we learned is if you get to him he cannot handle sustained pressure, which is probably why he missed out on the Lions tour.

There are oppositions other than Leicester! I personally fear Exeter and Saracens packs than Tiggers given the losses they have had in the past year with Ayerza, Slater leaving!

by
by (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 10:01
Is Faletau going to be available for the first few games of the season?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 10:06
Doubt it! He's not even back with the club yet to start his preseason.

I think we will be without the Lions players until October is my guess.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 10:32
BigDog you are right there are more powerful teams in the AP but we are not playing them,
we are playing Tigers away and that is one of the hardest tasks you will face as a rugby player. If our Lions are not available even more so. I have had the misfortune to have played at Welford Road 3 times and have a winning percentage of 0%, even when we were favourites the Tigers are a totally different proposition at home, they are a proud team and great hosts off the field but totally committed on it.
You cannot focus any further than this imposing first fixture. A win there will set us up for the rest of the season. Personally I think this fixture or the Chiefs given that they provided few Lions so both will be at near full strength are the hardest possible starts.

I am sure TB & TM will be thinking the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net