rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Weeksie
Weeksie (IP Logged)

Sky Sports
08 August, 2017 17:57
Out of interest...are many people on here big Sky Sports users?

I have just had my £62 a month Sky Package broken down to the following...

£27.50 Sport

£22.50 Basic Package

£12.00 HD

As the majority of rugby will be on BT, I'm thinking of ditching the sports and the hd. The other aspect is that the Ashes will be on BT this winter as well.

Interested to know what others do?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

Re: Sky Sports
08 August, 2017 18:55
Quote:
Weeksie
Out of interest...are many people on here big Sky Sports users?
I have just had my £62 a month Sky Package broken down to the following...

£27.50 Sport

£22.50 Basic Package

£12.00 HD

As the majority of rugby will be on BT, I'm thinking of ditching the sports and the hd. The other aspect is that the Ashes will be on BT this winter as well.

Interested to know what others do?

I'm a Sky sports user predominantly for their golf coverage. I'm not changing my Sky subscription and generally don't bother with BT.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 19:17
I ditched Sky Sports a couple of years ago and just add it tommy package for the summer tours. I've got BT so I don't miss much rugby.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 19:22
What do you get in the basic package? Is that line rental and bb? I only watch rugby with any real interest, so for me it's totally not worth it, but I would wonder if having sky at all is worth it?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 19:41
I have a huge (and hugely expensive) Virgin media package that I regretted almost immediately after signing up. 18 months later can now change and have decided to go freeview for TV albeit with Amazon Fire box for lots of extras including the BT sport app and Netflix / amazon prime. Should save nearly £70 a month all in which I can spend on beer and pies instead...happy days.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 19:58
Ditch completely and go for Now TV. I have BT Broadband and no BT TV, just freeview. I can get BT Sport HD and cast it to my TV and Now TV I can get individual days/weeks of Sky Sports for one off England/Lions/cricket or pay £8/month for Game of Thrones for two months only.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 07:57
If you just want rugby from Sky they have a single channel for this now, you don't need the full Sports package - in September am thinking of adding it to my BT contract [which I negotiated a fairly decent discount on renewal]

redmix
redmix (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 08:59
I currently have the full Sky TV package. With the changes to the sport channels I was thinking of ditching the ones I don't watch, ie wendyball, F1 and golf. But when looking into it I found this on the Sky website:
If you subscribed to both Sky Sports and Sky Cinema prior to 18 July 2017, any change to your Sky TV subscription or current sports package will result in a price increase on your Sky Cinema subscription.

Anyone tried to change their sports package to reduce the number of channels they took? If so, how much was the increase in Sky cinema? I'm betting it cancels out the reduction you get from reducing the sports channels!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 09:24
Quote:
DanWiley
What do you get in the basic package? Is that line rental and bb? I only watch rugby with any real interest, so for me it's totally not worth it, but I would wonder if having sky at all is worth it?

Having seen various members of my family cope with the likes of BT & Virgin I wouldn't go near them. I find Sky + immensely useful to enable me to watch the programmes I like when I like without having to mess about with downloading or special subscriptions. I watch hardly anything live apart from sport & news & there is still a lot of sport on Sky. If money is tight or you are only interested in watching rugby then maybe ditching it is sensible but I am very happy having Sky & BT Sport as part of my BT package so that everything I need is available to me with no hassle.

MESSAGES->author
Rampant (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 09:40
Sky definitely DONT have a Rugby channel. Just Football, more Football, Golf, Cricket and F1.

Saying that, the only rugby that Sky has are a few Pro14 games, England AI's and the Champions Cup games that generally BTSport don't see as a priority. Oh and they also have Dewi Morris...

Ive cancelled my Sky Sports this week and just keeping the basic package for Sky Atlantic

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 09:57
Quote:
Rampant
Sky definitely DONT have a Rugby channel. Just Football, more Football, Golf, Cricket and F1.
Saying that, the only rugby that Sky has are a few Pro14 games, England AI's and the Champions Cup games that generally BTSport don't see as a priority. Oh and they also have Dewi Morris...

Ive cancelled my Sky Sports this week and just keeping the basic package for Sky Atlantic

[www.theguardian.com]

'The new offering will result in the launch of themed channels, like Sky’s existing dedicated Formula One channel, for its top-flight sports including football – which will get two channels – golf and cricket. A new channel, Sky Sports Arena, will host other content including rugby and tennis.'

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 10:52
Gave up my Sky contract years ago and now go to the pub/golf club/friends to watch the matches I want to see on BT/Sky. One frustration is my Freeview box from TalkTalk has a free NowTV player but I can't watch sport through it on my TV. I have signed up for NowTV day passes in the past and watched the game on a laptop but this isn't v satisfactory. I don't think I have the requisite technology to cast from a phone to the TV though my daughter can do this. I will look into a BT Sport subscription via Freeview after reading this thread...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 11:32
I think this is the last season that Sky get to televise any European cup matches as I believe BT have the contact for all games in the 2018/19 season. Sky basically seem to have kissed goodbye to high quality rugby and put all their resources into football. Fine by me,as I am about to cancel the football channels for a starter.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 12:22
Clarkey if you buy a Chromecast for ~£30 you can watch any NowTV things on your TV by sending them from your phone or laptop. You can do the same with the BT Sport app.

MESSAGES->author
Rampant (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 14:31
Quote:
BathMatt53
A new channel, Sky Sports Arena, will host other content including rugby and tennis.'

Exactly! Not a Rugby channel, just bundled in with other sports

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 15:06
When I read these post I wonder how many still have Sky because no-one has a good word to say about. I just wouldn't be without it.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 15:11
Quote:
Bath Hammer
When I read these post I wonder how many still have Sky because no-one has a good word to say about. I just wouldn't be without it.

I wouldn't want to be without Sky sports either, personally I have nothing good to say about BT and avoid them at all costs.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 15:39
Quote:
Rampant
Quote:
BathMatt53
A new channel, Sky Sports Arena, will host other content including rugby and tennis.'

Exactly! Not a Rugby channel, just bundled in with other sports

While I was enjoying the end of my contract following the Lions tour, I decided to watch the Super Rugby final which was carefully buried on Sky Sports Mix on channel 200 and something. It may not be domestic rugby, but it was a pretty major game and reflects how high up the priority list rugby is for Sky and it's inclusion on Sky Sports Arena.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 16:23
Once Game of Thrones has ended, I think I'll be waving goodbye to Sky. I don't watch enough of their channels and they are very happy to bang prices up frequently and quietly.

Trouble is, I live in the back end of nowhere and can't pick up Virgin. Does BT require anything special to subscribe to, or can anyone get it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 16:33 by @Hydor18.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 16:50
Get BT Broadband and you can get BT Sport. And Sky Sports through Now TV.

TV OTA is the past!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 17:08
No need to get BT broadband, if you really think you need BT sport you can get it as a PlusNet customer I believe.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 17:39
Quote:
OutsideBath
No need to get BT broadband, if you really think you need BT sport you can get it as a PlusNet customer I believe.

You can but it costs 12.49 pm or it did do until I cancelled for the summer!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Rampant (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 17:59
Quote:
ken_jnr
reflects how high up the priority list rugby is for Sky and it's inclusion on Sky Sports Arena.

Is that sarcasm Ken?

Sky Sports Premier League
Sky Sports Football
Sky Sports Golf
Sky Sports Cricket
Sky Sports F1
Sky Sports Arena/Main Event, Mix and Action - random sports

Sticking Rugby on either the Arena, the Main Event, the Mix or the Action channels in amongst WWE wrestling, Tennis and Pro Kabaddi isn't my idea of prioritisation..

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 19:29
Quote:
Rampant
Quote:
ken_jnr
reflects how high up the priority list rugby is for Sky and it's inclusion on Sky Sports Arena.

Is that sarcasm Ken?

No, they buried the Super Rugby final on Sky Sports Mix rather than Arena. Mix is the one you get without the Sky Sports Package and is on some random channel away from the other sports ones. As I saw no advertising for the game it doesn't seem like they put it there to reel in new viewers to Rugby.

Presumably they had Kabaddi or Lacrosse on the proper Sports Channels.*

*That bit was sarcasm.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 07:59
I'm on Virgin - I dumped Sky Sports once BT Sport came along as my main requirement is Premiership rugby, and it gets better as the European games are moving fully to BT. England games are on the BBC (albeit with Eddie Butler) either live or highlights, and about the only thing I didn't get to see was the Lions - but I was surprisingly un-bothered about that this time.

I do miss the cricket a bit, but Test Match Special is better in some ways as you can have it on in the background.
I watch a bit of baseball and get that via the BT Sport package on Virgin.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Crippsy
Crippsy (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 09:30
Quote:
redmix
Anyone tried to change their sports package to reduce the number of channels they took? If so, how much was the increase in Sky cinema? I'm betting it cancels out the reduction you get from reducing the sports channels!

Yes. I went through this yesterday. Dropping Sky Sports reduced the cost by around £7 per month overall. If I signed up to a new contract that then changed to a saving of £20 pm.

As a slight aside. Sky have just launched Sky VIP for their customers. Benefits depend on how long you have been a customer but start at a free Buy & Keep Movie and can include free tickets to screenings and sports games, or even a free upgrade to Sky Q so it is worth signing up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 09:36 by Crippsy.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 11:39
Thanks for the heads up on Sky VIP, I just got Sky Go Extra for free.

Brown Bottle
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 13:49
Quote:
Clarkey3k
I don't think I have the requisite technology to cast from a phone to the TV though my daughter can do this.

Are you sure it's a technology issue? smiling smiley

BB

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 14:15
I used to have Sky but when they wanted to charge a fortune to replace my ailing 10 year old box when they give away nice new ones to new customers, I now have a BT Infinity2 package which includes line rental, fibre broadband and calls for £54/month.
On top of that, BT TV is £9.50, BT Sport is free but HD is an extra £5.

I pretty much only watch rugby so it's good news that BT has all the Euro matches this season. There's still enough football to keep my son happy and the only time I've missed Sky recently is The Open and Ryder Cup.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
Rampant (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 14:50
When I dropped Sky Sports this week it reduced my monthly bill by £27.

Ive still got a basic package but they made me keep "Box sets" as it includes HD for Sky Atlantic etc

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 16:34
Quote:
jayeatman
I pretty much only watch rugby so it's good news that BT has all the Euro matches this season.[/quote

BT Exclusive deal starts from the beginning of the 2018/19 season

Cheers,

Rich

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 10:24
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
Clarkey3k
I don't think I have the requisite technology to cast from a phone to the TV though my daughter can do this.

Are you sure it's a technology issue? smiling smiley

I think so, my Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone doesn't cast to the TV as far as I know but I can connect my old Sony Vaio laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable but it's a bit of a faff and the picture isn't great.

My daughter has the latest Samsung smartphone with a BT Sports app and has a fab LG TV to which she casts.

I did invest in a 23" AIO hp desktop last year for use with NOW TV but Sky are exiting EU rugby and I don't think BT have an equivalent NOW [Sky] TV service?

Hasta - thanks for the Chromecast tip, I will look into that...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 18:40
Just had an email from Plusnet offering BT App at £2.50 for six months and £5 thereafter now to work out casting to my old Smart Samsung TV maybe Chromecast here I come?

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 21:35
I'm only interested in rugby. For me Sky don't do enough rugby that I'm interested in to justify subscribing to their Sports. Super rugby, Tri-nations and Pro-12 are all nices rather than imperatives.

I left Sky for BT Sport immediately after the 2013 Lions tour when BT Sport got the Premiership rights. The Premiership, England internationals and European rugby are what really interest me.

I use Now TV one day passes for the occasional must see game on Sky Sports which are at unsociable hours like the Lions which works out far cheaper.

I'm happy to watch a game 24 hours later in full if it is a non-crunch game on YouTube on my smart TV. and the highlights show earlier on terrestrial or go down the pub, watch at a mates or get a day pass if it's a crunch game I really want to see live.

So I'm really pleased that I left Sky Sports. Ive saved a lot of money in those 4 years but still get to see most of the games I really want. I have just needed to change how I approach viewing rugby and utilise new media.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 09:15
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Just had an email from Plusnet offering BT App at £2.50 for six months and £5 thereafter now to work out casting to my old Smart Samsung TV maybe Chromecast here I come?

Only 6 months? They've offered me 12!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 09:37
I use the Sky Sports Mobile TV app - high quality streams, £4.99 per month and you can turn it off and on at will. Only works on phone of tablet though.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 12:44
Quote:
Ade1865
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Think that offer was if you pre registered for it in May, I didn't! Anyway to compensate I have just got Sky to reduce my Sports package from £27.50 to £20.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 15:26
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Ade1865
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Think that offer was if you pre registered for it in May, I didn't! Anyway to compensate I have just got Sky to reduce my Sports package from £27.50 to £20.

Have to say this really infuriates me! It's not only Sky either insurance companies do this.

Is the price £27.00 for idiots who don't ask and £20.00 for those who make a nuisance of themselves, (no offence meant CC), perhaps its £10.00 and free box sets for those who camp outside the offices with a placard!

Rally should be one price for all. Preferably lower as well.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 16:37
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Ade1865
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Have to say this really infuriates me! It's not only Sky either insurance companies do this.

Is the price £27.00 for idiots who don't ask and £20.00 for those who make a
nuisance of themselves, (no offence meant CC), perhaps its £10.00 and free box sets for those who camp outside the offices with a placard!

Rally should be one price for all. Preferably lower as well.

Well I called fully inrending to downgrade to Cricket and Football which meant reducing to £22 however because I have been with Sky a long time she offered to give me the full Sports Package for £20 as long as I signed up for 18 months. Can't do without my cricket so bit her hand off!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 16:47
Good for you, CC, Surrey supporter myself though I have got a really nice print of the pavilion at Taunton by Alan Fearnly!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 16:49
Quote:
shipwrecked
Good for you, CC, Surrey supporter myself though I have got a really nice print of the pavilion at Taunton by Alan Fearnly!

So am I much to the disgust of my sons who all support Somerset!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 08:09
Just ordered the full Sky Sports package for £8.50 per month for 18mth as a TV Boost with TalkTalk, I thought it would be £8.50 for the one I wanted!! This will save me a few quid in the pub over this season...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net