rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

vs Brizz
10 August, 2017 15:27
Is the game on radio/TV at the weekend? Doubt it, but will help me get through a long journey up the M1.

Also when is the 'team' announced if at all?

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

Re: vs Brizz
10 August, 2017 16:05
isnt the team usually everyone

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 16:30
Don't think there is probably much interest in covering 80 mins of rolling subs winking smiley

Cheers,

Rich

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 16:58
The 'team' will be about 25-30 men big so will be rotating quite frequently I'd expect.

I noticed Quins beat Bristol in a preseason game the other week by a relatively low margin. Let's better that!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 17:10
"Is the game on radio/TV at the weekend? Doubt it, but will help me get through a long journey up the M1.
"

May be Covered (from 2:30) here

airdog
airdog (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 10:44
good morning Bristol supporter here , excuse me if I dont do the " in peace crap " which most seem to think is required when coming on to other sites , but I mean no ill will .
I really hope to see many of you at Clifton tomorrow , after all given the squad we know we will have at the start of the 2018/19 season this may be the last chance you get to see a Bath victory !!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 11:34
Bris have announced a team (squad?) of 40 for the game

[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

I hope that Clifton have a really long bench.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 11:55

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 12:15
'excuse me if I dont do the " in peace crap "'

thank you.

by
by (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 12:37
Looking forward to seeing how the new signings go.

Should be a good game, both teams got a lot to prove playing under similar coaching styles.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 13:11
Pleased to see Levi Davis getting a chance to prove himself

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 14:48
Quote:
airdog
good morning Bristol supporter here , excuse me if I dont do the " in peace crap " which most seem to think is required when coming on to other sites , but I mean no ill will .
I really hope to see many of you at Clifton tomorrow , after all given the squad we know we will have at the start of the 2018/19 season this may be the last chance you get to see a Bath victory !!

And probably the last chance you will have of seeing a Premiership side this season!(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 18:45
I'll be interested in seeing how Josh Lewis gets on, if he does OK outside the questionable service that Allinson is supposed to serve up then it gives us another option, pretty sure that JL has played at 12 as well for Ebbw Vale, though I realise the Welsh Premiership is a different class to the AP.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 August, 2017 19:14
Don't think that you will be able to gauge much with allinson inside and Jennings outside. Just a run out and get a bit of fitness for all the 865 players who are named across the two teams I think...

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 14:39
Bath 24-0 up after 30 mins

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 14:56
34-7 according to Twitter. Allinson and Mercer both scoring and heavily name dropped, maybe Allinson is showing the potential the coaches obviously see in him?

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 14:59
HT

7 v 34

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:01
Rugbynetwork clock seems to be 20 minutes slow.

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:10
Charteris is on for Phillips, Cook for Allinson and Obano for Auterac

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:11
2nd half

12 v 34

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:12
Quote:
DanWiley
'excuse me if I dont do the " in peace crap "'
thank your.
Thank god for that

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:14
19-34 now, Bath seem to have left their defending in the changing room!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 15:17 by dcsh.

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:15
19 v 34

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:17
Atkins is on for Homer, Priestland replaces Clark with Lewis moving to 13 and Harry Davies is on for Wilson

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:18
...and Atkins immediately gets a yellow card!

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:19
24 v 34

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:19
Not the composure that the coaches will be hoping for.

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:23
Charles is back in Bath colours as he comes on for Walker. Guy Mercer, last year’s club captain, jogs on for Bayliss

Bath miss try chance from 5metres out

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:25
Back to the 30% possession days of last season, joy

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:35
Dreadful, Bris look the better team this half by far. We've had no ball whatsoever

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:38
Banahan makes way for academy debutant Wil Partington and Obano is replaced by Auterac for an HIA

Bris butcher a 10 metre unopposed chance by dropping ball

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:42
Sam Nixon - who wasn’t on the original teamsheet- replaces Palma-Newport, Bayliss returns for Stooke and Will Homer replaces Chris Cook.
Obano passed his HIA and he’s back on. Five minutes to play...

Mike the Taxi

12 August, 2017 15:49
2 late try attempts by Bath disallowed

24 v 34

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:53
Final score Bath 34 Bristol 31.

Sounds like Bath will have plenty to work on.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:58
How disappointing.
24 unanswered points and failure to score second half.
What can anyone glean from that?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 15:58
Evidently pre-season has not gone quite as well as we had been led to believe 😡

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 16:00
Quote:
dcsh

Well I would hope so seeing as that was the first game of the season with a mainly second string selection, what else did you expect?

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 16:35
Quote:
johnnyf
How disappointing.
24 unanswered points and failure to score second half.
What can anyone glean from that?

That we played well in the first half?

MESSAGES->author
dabos (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 16:43
If it had gone on for another five minutes we would have lost. Poor performance.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 16:48
Pre season games mean nothing in terms of results and performance. I went to the first one last year and we were pretty rubbish.

We won and we can worry about our season after Tigers.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 16:55
I agree pre-season games count for nothing, however TB was clear that he wanted to see the fruits of the pre-season training come to the fore. By all accounts our defence was absolutely appalling in the second period.

Believe me that will worry the coaching team.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 17:00
Quote:
JimDaff
Quote:
dcsh

Well I would hope so seeing as that was the first game of the season with a mainly second string selection, what else did you expect?

Did Bristol play mostly their first choice players then?

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 17:36
Quote:
Bath Hammer

I'm no expert on the briz team but I believe the below would be in their premiership 1st ;

Soane Tonga’uiha, Gaston Cortes, Nick Fenton-Wells, Olly Robinson, Sione Faletau, Jordan Crane, Jack Lam, Mat Protheroe, Jack Tovey, Tom Varndell, Billy Searle, Callum Sheedy, Ian Madigan and Tusi Pisi.

Compared to;

Tom Homer, Matt Banahan, Nick Auterac, Shaun Knight, Matt Garvey, Luke Charteris, Rhys Priestland and Ben Tapuai.

A couple of these are debatable too! I'll happily stand corrected on the Bristol players but I really think some people on here need a bit of perspective and the constant moaning about our performance is grating on me. We were 34-7 up after two quarters and we dropped off second half but with constant changes, yellow cards and HIA's its hard to build up any momentum, didn't we also have two tries chalked off? Add those on and the missed conversions then we would have had a pretty comprehensive win...

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 17:37
Sounds like the silly school boy psychological "we are ahead so can relax" unspoken behaviour. Not something I would expect from grownup professionals. FH training in a bubble again?

Rather sad really - just as well 'they' didn't decide to play Gloucester in that frame of mind. Heyho - when do our season tickets arrive - soon I trust?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 17:38
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
JimDaff
Quote:
dcsh

They played the majority of their squad didn't they?

Cheers,

Rich

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 18:11
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Sounds like the silly school boy psychological "we are ahead so can relax" unspoken behaviour. Not something I would expect from grownup professionals. FH training in a bubble again?
Rather sad really - just as well 'they' didn't decide to play Gloucester in that frame of mind. Heyho - when do our season tickets arrive - soon I trust?

'It sounds like' Annie? No actual evidence for that then I trust?

Pretty sure nobody twisted your arm to renew, does the fact that you did mean that you are now going to moan about it for the next 9 months?!

I'm with Jimdaff. Largely meaningless runout for both sides, haven't seen any significant injuries, Walker went well and here's hoping that he gets a good run this year. Obviously both sides will be looking to improve over the next weeks and months so maybe save up the spittle for then? (Can nobody really see anything positive to comment on despite a win?!)

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 18:36
Quote:
Bathbadger
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
JimDaff
Quote:
dcsh

They played the majority of their squad didn't they?

Honestly I think it is a good thing that they have plenty to work on, a massive win might have hidden deficiencies that have now been exposed.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 18:53
Seems a bit early to start criticising the team, it was only a meaningless friendly.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 19:20
That is of course true as it is the first friendly. However, they aren't meaningless. They do provide an indication of how pre-season has gone & if I remember correctly we were thumped in all these matches 2 years ago whereas before we started our season really strongly last season we performed well in the friendlies.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 20:30
Quote:
Bath Hammer
That is of course true as it is the first friendly. However, they aren't meaningless. They do provide an indication of how pre-season has gone & if I remember correctly we were thumped in all these matches 2 years ago whereas before we started our season really strongly last season we performed well in the friendlies.

If you were talking about our first team I would agree, however, apart from Banners and Homer thats about it.

Not quite meaningless but very little meaning in it. Remember they romped through the first half!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 20:34
Winning is always good but these pre season games are there to show the coaches what they need to improve and what they need polish and what players are capable of or not as the case maybe. Frankly if people are writing off our forthcoming season on a practice match, I despair!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 August, 2017 21:29
Don't act like you are surprised CC...anything less than a 20 try romp to nothing would have been acceptable. In the words of the great Marvin 'Life? Don't talk to me about life...'

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 03:37
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Winning is always good but these pre season games are there to show the coaches what they need to improve and what they need polish and what players are capable of or not as the case maybe. Frankly if people are writing off our forthcoming season on a practice match, I despair!

I looked back to check & couldn't see anyone writing off the season based on that match so you don't need to despair!

charlieboa
charlieboa (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 08:28
Did shaun knight pull out? Trp has kane starting with nixon on the bench. Another injury at tight head would be a blow!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 10:02
Matt whoever - I suggest you try to go and spend some time watching schoolboy rugby.
Then perhaps you would know to what I am referring. Out of the basic coaching manual =
" Get ahead and then defend that score with your lives and reputations on it".
Surely that is what the coaching team at Bath, all highly paid professionals, would have been looking for, not how many times some player touched the ball or metres made!

p.s. I have been renewing since you were probably still taking your GCSE's or whatever - I travel in hope now not expectation! (Sm145)

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 13:04
Thanks for that Annie, if it were a normal match then you may have a point...for a first preseason friendly with so many players and different strategies I do think that we can expect consistency from either side. I watch more than my fair share of schoolboy rugby!

That was my point about the renewal, obviously nothing wrong with hope and fully respect the time that you have been a ST holder but your posts on this site make you come across as having a genuine dislike for most things associated with the club. Nothing positive at all? (It's a forum so I guess we should expect a spectrum of views). That's just how I read it anyway.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 13:19
Shaun Knight tweaked his neck, I imagine the coaching staff wrapping him in cotton wool, the thought of playing Leicester with KPN as our first choice TH sends shivers down my spine and probably whichever poor player starts at hooker.

In reverse the Tigers will be rubbing their hands!!!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 14:18
Quote:
annie blackthorn

Unless you've moved seats I don't think you'll be getting a new ticket

Stuart

Former ed.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 14:51
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
annie blackthorn

I got a new ticket and didn't move seats, it came very quickly after I renewed back in May.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 15:06
I was under the impression that when you paid, your season ticket is reactivated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 20:40 by miller8.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 21:37
Quote:
dcsh
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
annie blackthorn

I got a new ticket and didn't move seats, it came very quickly after I renewed back in May.

Me to.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 22:44
I renewed by phone and they told me to keep the ticket (card) from last year.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 08:49
The confirmation of renewal email says to keep your ST Card. They are only issuing new tickets if you have moved seats. But i guess some people have missed that.

Cheers,

Rich

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 14:36
Back to thread title

Dan Evans reckons that Allinson was probably the sharpest player on the pitch - not many on ere were impressed with his signing so will be interesting to see how he goes in the real 'friendly'matches

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 15:04
And continuing to set aside all the it means this it means that, not dying for the shirt drivel.

To anyone who was there: How did new boys Lewis, Davies and Phillips seem?

FLAP

Mike the Taxi

14 August, 2017 15:39

sid the seagull

14 August, 2017 19:10
Thanks MtT.
Not the standouts then but anyone there have a view?

HOP

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 09:21
As always with pre-season, the result is approximately the least important thing
The important things are the likes of who's looking fit and sharp; who's favouring a slight knock or keeping a little wind in the tank for later; how such and such a combination is communicating and complementing each other; how's the decision making; how does this training ground move look when applied to an opposition that doesn't know it's coming; how were the players thinking on their feet... etc etc.

In preseason, the opposition's performance and the result don't really matter; it's how WE play rugby that is important.

As a direct question to those who were there - how did the new laws look? did they make any difference? did they look positive or cumbersome? had either team found a way to cheat them effectively this early?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

kingofthehill
KingoftheHill (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 06:52
Might be of interest to you guys in terms of the style of play in this game - at the Bristol Coaching Q&A session last evening, Pat Lam said that a team typically makes around 160 passes in a match, In in friendly against Quins, Bris made around 180 and against Bath approx 280 passes were made!

sid the seagull

16 August, 2017 07:53
Crumbs that's interesting 'O Hill.
Instinctively one would react that passing is a good thing - you have possession, you aren't kicking.
Downside could be, you aren't going anywhere.
What was P Lam inferring by the stats?

FLAPHOPPECKPECK

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 08:21
Fact is Sid in the second half it worked. Is that due to Bristol's tactics or Bath's falling of the game I wonder?
Fitness has to play a part and moving the ball means you not involved in breakdowns saving energy for the end of the game. I would certainly like to know more about it though.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 10:11
Great game strategy with warm weather, dry pitch and ball and very little wind

But 280 passes in a game is a crazy level surely - at most the ball is in play for 40 minutes. Allow 60% possession means it is well over 10 passes a minute for the entire game

Really?

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 10:32
Briss did really well, looked really good in the second half. Their tactic of keeping the ball in hand and running from all areas of the pitch paid big dividends.

PhiltheBath
PhiltheBath (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 10:34
I do not post very often, but I was at the game and can offer a few thoughts on the questions posed above.
Firstly, well done Clifton RFC as it was a great, well organised event.
As the scoreline suggests Bath were dominant in the first half (two quarters), especially in the scrum and the defence never gave Bristol a sniff.
Second half, Bris played some real helter- skelter rugby. fantastic to watch but cannot see that style coming off in a premiership match.(We will see in 2019 I guess)
Why were Bath so vulnerable? Possible reasons are:-
Bath used 27 players and Bristol about 40. So every 20 minutes there were sets of fresh legs coming on and the Bath boys were doing longer shifts and clearly tiring.
Most of the holes came in the mid-field and (by Bath's choice) the centre pairing was Jennings and Lewis. They tried hard but were not a midfield unit that I expect to see very often this season.Ben Tapuai was in the squad but unless I blinked at the wrong time he did not actually play(Apologies if I missed a cameo from BT during all the comings and goings.)
All in all a very enjoyable afternoon and most of the other Bath supporters there seemed to echo that.We were pleased that Bris did not manage to overtake us even though the result would have meant very little.
Bristol will be a very exciting team to watch this year if they can translate that second half style into a fully competitive match. I saw lots of good stuff from Bath however, that I am confident the management team can build on.

by
by (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 11:01
Think Tabs said that they wanted the team to focus on tight play against Bristol and will try a more expansive game against Ospreys on Saturday.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 20:21
Quote:
by
will try a more expansive game against Ospreys on Saturday.

I believe this match is on Sunday...

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 07:33
With all our apparent concerns following our first PSF, on that basis you'd probably be more concerned if you were a Glawster or Warriors fan!

Glos ship 50 points to Leinster
Worcester lose at Div 1 Moseley.

Do scores at this stage really mean that much - More to do with performance and whatever the coaches decide they want to focus upon I reckon

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 15:11
Most Briss fans I have spoke to since our "friendly " strongly believe that they will lay waste to the Championship and become dominant force in European Rugby. Are you like me in that I am just tired of Briss fans saying the same old tosh again and again. If you were new to the game and then spent some time on their site you really would come away with the view that Briss were the most successful team in the history of sport, please remind me what that club has actually accomplished over the years and compare it to Leicester or Saracens ?? it's just so sad.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 15:30
Not accomplished anything to date but they have good reason to be optimistic I would say. Their team on paper will be better than a few in the prem. Don't get tired of what they say on their site as I don't frequent it!

(Some on here could do with a dose of their optimism!)

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 22:45
Good point BM53 about being optimistic, I have struggled with that myself concerning this coming season, just can't get overly excited from a Bath point of view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net