rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

Tigers
28 August, 2017 14:52
So it begins, a tough assignment first up but hey that's not a bad thing. Tigers fans appear confident apparently we have had a "poor pre-season" and are talking more about "George Ford than our own" - not sure either is right, don't think there has been too much talk about Ford on this forum?? His loyalty will always be questioned given his behaviour and personally I am more than happy with the swap, always been a fan of Freddie and given the shambolic way Tigers treated him, he will have a point to prove. In addition it appears that Rhys Priestland has finally settled and looks to be getting back to his best.

As for pre-season it is what it is 2 wins and a narrow defeat not too shabby..

My concern is our front 5, particular TH prop, otherwise I am pretty happy KF looked sharp against Leinster, the back row is world class and our backs if all fit and are able to get decent ball can rip anyone apart. Dan Evans still stating another centre arriving whether it is Te'o or not we will have to see.

If our bsckrow and KF can get to GF it could be a good day, only time will tell. Come on Bath.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

Re: Tigers
28 August, 2017 14:58
+1 I mean their back line is looking really decent for the first time in a long time, but i disagree with their assessment since I have personally been really pleased with the distinct lack of Ford talk since his departure. I don't think our preseason has been poor either; resting of players and trying new things always skews results. It'll be tough, but I'm optimistic and do really think we can do some damage. Lord knows our starting 3, though!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 15:02
A bit odd saying our preseason is poor as it's not even as though we have had all our first team out there?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 15:08
Totally agree shipwrecked I am pretty happy with the pre-season a lot of different combinations tried and players rested. Still beat a reasonably strong Bristol (local derby so any sort of structure goes out the window) and then away to Ospreys and apart from the last 10 minutes completely dominated them. Finally away to Leinster shocking first half but Leinster brought on their big guns in the second half and we more than matched them without several key players. That is why I am happy,

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 15:26
Difficult to judge pre season games, but on results alone Tigers seem to have had a better pre season than us.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 16:04
First game of the season always a bit of a lottery and Tigers v Bath usually quite close so it's tough for anyone to call I would say. Both teams have had an OK preseason and also played a lot of different players...on paper their back row not as good, front row better?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 16:23
The fact Tigers are at home and out terrible record there suggests a straightforward 4/5 pointer for them.

I suspect the sulker will play a major part for them unless we can take him out early.

tigerburnie
tigerburnie (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 16:25
[www.rugbynetwork.net]
Ballsy started it , post 15 then the debate went on......and on................and on.(Sm100)

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 16:36
Quote:
Ali1969
Tigers fans appear confident apparently we have had a "poor pre-season" and are talking more about "George Ford than our own"

Tigers fans are morons, that's why. At least the ones on the Dark Site.

If only we could have played Treviso and the Ospreys twice.

Tigers fans should be confident because they're at home, and have an injury-free squad. Whereas we most certainly do not.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 16:42
Quote:
tigerburnie
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s105.htm?1469,16066870
Ballsy started it , post 15 then the debate went on......and on................and on.(Sm100)

Are the others over there still talking about me? The obsession is strong with that lot, almost as bad as bringing up Lancaster every three posts.

Quote:
OutsideBath
Difficult to judge pre season games, but on results alone Tigers seem to have had a better pre season than us.

Yes let's just compare our 2-1 (all away) with their 3-0 (only one away) with no regard whatsoever to the actual opposition (Sm16).

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 16:47
Quote:
tigerburnie
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s105.htm?1469,16066870

Wasn't that more of a general debate about his tackling rather than being obsessed with him in relation to the coming game?

Looking forward to a good match and the start of another season...

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 17:49
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Ali1969
Tigers fans appear confident apparently we have had a "poor pre-season" and are talking more about "George Ford than our own"

Tigers fans should be confident because they're at home, and have an injury-free squad. Whereas we most certainly do not.

"Tigers fans are morons", really classy post.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 18:29
It wasn't the most intelligent post considering it was supposed to make a statement about others intelligence, it has to be said...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 20:08
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Ali1969

"Tigers fans are morons", really classy post.

Quote:
OutsideBath
Rumour probably started by an attention seeker with low intelligence.

Is there a difference?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 20:37
Yes, OBs was based on evidence at that time rather than an obvious gross generalisation just have a dig at a large group of people 99% of which aren't even on the Tigers forum? Besides, one was stated as fact the other a probability ;-)

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

28 August, 2017 21:08
To clarify again, I was referring to the ones on the dark site.

Bitterness is in high supply over there, they seem to have a real hatred for Bath.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 06:15
Quote:
ballsout
To clarify again, I was referring to the ones on the dark site.
Bitterness is in high supply over there, they seem to have a real hatred for Bath.

It always seems strange why that is because they invariably beat us at home & finish ahead of us in the table. Their record this century has been significantly better than ours & they've just managed to lure away one of our finest players for years. What is there to be upset about?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 06:56
The fact we put 40+ points on them at home and stole a win from them on our big day at HQ probably has something to do with it. That said there have been plenty of other teams humiliating them these past couple of years and they don't seem too bothered about them. Sarries, Glasgow, Munster, Racing...

Penguin
penguin (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 08:21
Well I am from the dark site and like the Bath club always loved the away game its a great City and a proper rugby club...

We got battered more than once by you these last seasons and you take it... I am old enough to remember when losing to you guys meant the league was over...

We obviously know Ballsout well... but please don't let his narrow thoughts include all of us look forward to seeing you guys Sunday win lose or draw have a safe trip up and Go well this season.

tigerburnie
tigerburnie (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 08:27
Well it's nice to know I'm still loved, I'm of after a Sea Trout later, I hope I get as many bites then lol.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 09:06
"Tigers fans are morons.... "

"they seem to have a real hatred for Bath."

It's a mystery.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 09:19
Finger crossed the boys in Blue Black and White can get a shock result away from home at Welford. We managed it first up last year at Franklins Gardens even after injuries to Faletau and Denton that game!

It will all be down to mental fortitude as it always is when you play at a raucous Welford road and hopefully the away games in pre-season will have helped get the guys used to playing on the road, something we were poor at last year, in expectance of this tough season opener.

Best of luck boys and interested to see what side we put out! COME ON YOU BATH!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 09:43
Chron says that we haven't won there since 2003? Didn't we have a similar record at Franklins Gardens until last year? Only 3 more sleeps until the season starts!! (Sm51)(Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 10:04
I was there in 2003. It was the week after the RWC final, spoiled Johnson's homecoming. Austin Healey missed a drop goal and Ramiro Pez a penalty to snatch it from us.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 10:21
I have never seen us win at Welford Rd and I've been a few times, I'll be there again on Sunday hoping for a different result this time. Can't say I'm optimistic about a win but will wait and see the two squads selected, especially the front rows. If we can get parity there I think we more than match them elsewhere and fancy our chances, if not then will be hoping for a LBP...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 10:50
Didn't we win an LV or MMEC match or something there more recently? I seem to remember us being down to 13 or or something or was that 2003?!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 11:15
We drew there after banners got send off for taking a. allen high and deacon got sent off for retaliation?

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 13:09
We definitely won there in the Anglo Welsh a few years back. David Sisi played and I drank a lot of Tiger bitter in the Crumbie. Couldn't tell you much more than that about the game though.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 13:24
Nothing beats the John Player Cup semi win with John Palmer outstanding at 10 in the rain, the BBW faithful making hell of a din in the old wooden stand

tigerburnie
tigerburnie (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 14:12
I wish all you travelling a safe journey, always a welcome at Welford Road for visiting fans.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 14:21
Quote:
tigerburnie
I wish all you travelling a safe journey, always a welcome at Welford Road for visiting fans.

Thanks TB. Didn't you miss 'warm and friendly' before 'welcome'? (Sm141)

tigerburnie
tigerburnie (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 14:23
Errrrrrrr.............................maybe lol

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 15:04
I'd always enjoyed my trips to Welford Road until 2 years ago, and again last year.
Had the misfortune to be sat next to 2 (different) truly offensive female Tiger supporters. Neither would engage in any chat other than to insult Bath. Through the game one's loud contribution was to enthuse her players to "rip his head off", and the other's was to continuously questions every Bath player's parentage and sexuality. It was more boring than upsetting.
I am missing this year - not in protest - genuinely busy elsewhere - but I have to say, I'm not as bothered as I would have been.
My prediction: dry sunny day forecast, two good sets of backs, so difficult to call. If we can boss the breakdown and retain the ball (possible) and narrow the penalty count (less possible) to reduce set plays we stand a chance. If we kick the ball away aimlessly like last season then we're in for a day of tackling practice.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 15:13
Our pack got hammered last year and I thought Ford went to pieces.

On paper it looks a well balanced game so I'm predicting we are once again rubbish and come second best by some margin. Not that I think we can't beat them, we just always seem to be less competitive than normal at WR and we aren't exactly red-hot favourites as it is.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 15:24
Not sure you should apply for the new role of Bath 'mind coach' Ken!

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 15:27
Quote:
DanWiley
Didn't we win an LV or MMEC match or something there more recently? I seem to remember us being down to 13 or or something or was that 2003?!

I think that was at the 'Crisp Bowl' and European Cup 1/4 final? I think we lost to Biarritz in the semi?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2017 15:29 by Gussieboy.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 15:30
That does ring a bell.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 15:33
Quote:
BathMatt53
Not sure you should apply for the new role of Bath 'mind coach' Ken!

I've been to almost every one of those loses since 2003. I think I'm the one who needs a mind coach to get me back there!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 17:38
Luke Pearce to ref

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 17:45
The Crisp Bowl game was wonderful. Defending down to 13 men and Andy Goode messing up a 3-1 overlap

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 18:23
You can sort of guarantee that G Ford will kick everything from the touchline, make several line breaks and smash all our forwards backwards in the tackle can't you. (Sm40)

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 18:52
If we can gain any sort of parity up front it could be a cracker, agree Ford will be chomping at the bit to shove it down our throats, although I do not really understand why, Without BC's blessing his move to Tigers would not have happened this season and so he should be grateful.

Freddie on the other hand must really be seething, he has served the Tigers with nothing but 100% commitment and they treat him like that!!! I would argue worse than how we dealt with Karl Eastmond, at least deals were not being done behind his back!!!

Tigers will be super charged and Pearce needs to hold his nerve officiating, if our backrow and KF gain the upper hand at the breakdown I will start to believe.

A real opportunity for Freddie to show his quality and what they have let go, and I am sure his own personal gratification.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 19:19
Quote:
Ali1969
Freddie on the other hand must really be seething, he has served the Tigers with nothing but 100% commitment and they treat him like that!!! I would argue worse than how we dealt with Karl Eastmond, at least deals were not being done behind his back!!

Kyle has a brother? I had no idea.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 19:39
Sorry the curse of the predictive text.

Ellistown Tiger
Ellistown Tiger (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 20:29
I don't think there's any hatred. Most of us like the fact that it's a 'proper' rugby club.
There's not much love for your owner or current financial operating model but that's just a matter of opinion.
I like coming down to the rec but the clash has put paid to that...

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 20:37
Would it be too optimistic to assume that the coaches have played with their cards very close to the chest so far - not revealing too much about tactics and team selection?

There has not been very much given away so far.
Or is that simply naivety?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 August, 2017 20:54
With a Sunday match I guess we are a bit early for too much team info anyway but in general I think that they have just been trying to integrate the new and more peripheral members of the squad for the friendlies. Not sure we have done anything differently from any of the other prem teams?

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 10:12
If it were up to me, based on the limited amount i have seen of preseaason via the internet, i would go with a starting line up of

Auterac Walker KPN ; Stooke Garvey ; Flouw Underhill Toby ;
Kahn Burns ; Tapui Clarke ; Rocco Banners ; Atkins

~I presume the lions and england contingient are on leave and will be available but poss not 'match fit'. Ewels Watson JJ Zach all ready to smash off the bench.

~Do we have any THP other than KPN?

~Can we play Charles as a medical joker? Dunn and Batty i think are not fully fit, right?

I am so moist with anticipation at our middle 5 for this season. 6-10 i think we are incredibly strong.
I would also look to send Rocco/Banners/Toby straight at GF immediately. As predictable as it is...

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 10:26
Quote:
Ellistown Tiger
I don't think there's any hatred. Most of us like the fact that it's a 'proper' rugby club.
There's not much love for your owner or current financial operating model but that's just a matter of opinion.
I like coming down to the rec but the clash has put paid to that...

Why are we ore of a "proper rugby club" than other professional clubs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2017 10:27 by Bath Hammer.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 10:29
Quote:
Pie-Half
If it were up to me, based on the limited amount i have seen of preseaason via the internet, i would go with a starting line up of
Auterac Walker KPN ; Stooke Garvey ; Flouw Underhill Toby ;
Kahn Burns ; Tapui Clarke ; Rocco Banners ; Atkins

~I presume the lions and england contingient are on leave and will be available but poss not 'match fit'. Ewels Watson JJ Zach all ready to smash off the bench.

~Do we have any THP other than KPN?

~Can we play Charles as a medical joker? Dunn and Batty i think are not fully fit, right?

Is Atkins our best available choice at full-back?

I am so moist with anticipation at our middle 5 for this season. 6-10 i think we are incredibly strong.
I would also look to send Rocco/Banners/Toby straight at GF immediately. As predictable as it is...

by
by (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 10:33
Perenise will be on the bench to cover TH, I'm sure.

JJ could be match fit, he didn't play the last 2 tests for the Lions and had a long break.

No idea if Ewels is fit, surprised he hasn't been involved in any of the preseason games so I'm assuming hes injured.

Dunn came off the bench in the last 2 preseason games so you'd think hes fit.

Personally I think we should play:

Auterac, Walker, KPN, Philips, Charteris, Garvey, Flouw, Faletau
Kahn, Priestland, Banners, Tapuai, JJ, Roko, T. Homer

Dunn, Obano, Perenise, Stooke, Underhill, Allinson, Burns, Wilson.

Its a strong team but I think the Tigers backline will be just a bit too much.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 10:39
Think Clark should start at 13. Had a good preseason and was running some very naughty lines!

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 10:51
We may know a little more of the likely team for Tigers tomorrow when we see the A team selection for Friday evening.

There was me thinking that Guy Mercer was a nailed on starter for the Sarries game!
What do I know?

by
by (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 16:20
Chronicle reporting that Blackadder is planning on including Louw, JJ and Watson in the squad going up to Welford road.

Ewels is out with a heel injury sustained in England's pre-season camp.

Lahiff and Henry Thomas are targeting a return before the end of September.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 17:58
September? Weren't they targeting end of august before?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 August, 2017 18:57
Can't help but wonder if our medical team are as good as other clubs. Our injured players rarely come back on schedule.

Bath85
Bath85 (IP Logged)

31 August, 2017 06:38
So basis the latest injury updates this looks like our starting team?!?!

Auterac
Dunn
Knight ?????
Charteris
Stooke
Garvey
Louw
Faletau
Kahn
Burns
Banahan
Tapuai
Joseph
Rocco
Watson

Obano
Walker
Perenise
Phillips
Underhill
Cook
Priestland
Clark

Looks a pretty decent lineup if we can get this out...

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

31 August, 2017 07:25
Quote:
OutsideBath
Can't help but wonder if our medical team are as good as other clubs. Our injured players rarely come back on schedule.

At least they're better than the New Orleans Saints doctors

by
by (IP Logged)

31 August, 2017 07:57
Bath85, Knight is out injured for a month or two. It will be KPN starting.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

31 August, 2017 08:44
For what it is worth my starting line up would be:

Auterac
Walker
AP
Stooke
Chateris
Garvey
TF
Louw
KF
Burns
SR
BT
JJz
MB
AW

Reps

TD
KPN
BO
Phillips/Grant
SU
CC
RP/TH

I believe you have to go top heavy with forwards on the bench when playing teams like Tigers, even with their vaunted backline, as they say it's in their DNA to dominate up front, Tigers don't change their stripes so to speak!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net