rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

Injuries for Saints
13 September, 2017 15:10
Good news on the measure: here.

Most importantly for me, Perenise is fit (phew). As are Watson, Ewels and Underhill. Charteris and Cook still being assessed. Our crocked front rowers still crocked.

Also, Blackadder saying that he's going to shuffle his pack and Underhill will start, which is exciting although I wonder if Louw will go on the bench or get a full week off. I'm guessing that even if Charteris is fit, he might get a week off and Ewels might start.

It will be a fascinating team selection. I wonder if Burns will start at 10? And Tapuai at 12? And Auterac and Walker? So many questions... and no answers until midday tomorrow.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Injuries for Saints
13 September, 2017 15:25
Nathan Catt, Ross Batty, Henry Thomas, Max Lahiff and Tom Homer are all thought to be at least three weeks away.

That's quite a long time, especially for the front-row to survive, and a really tough 3 weeks at that: Saints, Newcastle and Wasps to get through.

After that, we have a relatively light schedule in the month leading up to Glos on 29 Oct. (Wuss h, Treviso h, Scarlets a).

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 15:33
I'm really looking forward to seeing Sam Underhill start, Louw has set the standard but I think SU will surprise a few!

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 15:54
TB from the interview suggests a bit of rotation, so I'd be inclined to guess:

Auterac / Walker / Perenise
Ewels / Stooke
Garvey / Underhill / Faletau
Kahn / Burns
Banahan / Tapuai / JJ / Roko
Watson

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 15:59
The return date for Nathan Catt, Ross Batty, Henry Thomas and Max Lahiff just seems to get pushed back each week.

What on earth are our medical team up to with their rehab?

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 15:59
God what a time to be a Bath supporter when you can potentially leave out the incumbent 7 at the club - one of the finest in his position in World Rugby - and replace him with the next world class 7 and an England capped youngster (Sm42)

Happy times in the back row and we are still yet to see Zach Mercer make an appearance or of course Ellis who is sadly injured for most of the season. We have great options there!

Shame the front row boys are not fitter in one week as opposed to 3 but at least by the time they are back the schedule is a bit easier (although Glos and Wuss both still have useful enough front rows) and we can hopefully rotate their match time around so they don't have to take on too much straight away. Hope Perenise is fully fit and being wrapped in cotton wool!!!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 16:04
Quote:
OutsideBath
What on earth are our medical team up to with their rehab?

Rehabbing them as best they can I assume? (Sm16)

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 16:16
There it is. OB has found something we can moan about. Phew. I was struggling to find anything.

by
by (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 16:18
Very relieved to hear that Watson and Perenise are available, was expecting the worst for Watson.

I hope we won't see too much rotation, there has to be a reward for the performances shown in those first two games.

Maybe Garvey will go into the row to replace the unavailable Charteris, allowing Underhill to start at 6.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 16:20
Quote:
dr.bath1865
There it is. OB has found something we can moan about. Phew. I was struggling to find anything.

Are you not frustrated then? I certainly am and I'm sure the players are as well.

We have made a really promising start which gives cause for optimism, but the problems with our front row fitness threaten to derail our progress.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

by
by (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 16:24
It is frustrating but better they come back when ready than too soon, especially Thomas as ACL injuries often happen again.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 16:35
It's just I very much doubt it's our medical team's fault. I'm sure they want the same thing as you do. As we all do.

I agree, we need our front row fit but the current situation strikes me as bad luck rather than anything to moan too much about.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 19:58
I think there was an update recently re Henry Thomas and Max Lahiff which stated that both had suffered slight setbacks but nothing serious

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 20:32
Shaun Knight - did I miss something?
Big Dave - the longer he's out with no info, I'm afraid am starting to fear the worst.

Jolly happy on the whole though.

PECKPECKPECK

by
by (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 20:42
Chronicle said Knight would be out for a couple of months at the start of the season.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 20:44
As a prop who is currently rehabbing an ACL reconstruction (which are literally the only two parallels you can draw between my rugby career and Thomas'!) I can assure you that it is not a straight road between injury and recovery.

Lahiff's injury was pretty brutal too, especially when you consider the strain his position puts on the posterior chain.

I'd rather we had our four first choice tightheads available, but I'd much rather we didn't ruin their careers by bringing them back too early. It's a long season and they've got a lot of time to contribute to our league winning season...

Plus Perenise has been terrific the last two weeks!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 21:16
[quote by] I hope we won't see too much rotation, there has to be a reward for the performances shown in those first two games.[quote]

There is reward and there is overplaying - these guys are getting pummelled every week. Careful player management is going to be key with the European games on the table as well. I agree it would be a lovely thing to do but the successful teams in the prem use their squads where injury permits. I would definitely have Wilson in the mix this weekend if he really is match fit. We will need Louw fit and firing when Underhill goes off with England anyway.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 September, 2017 21:38
Underhill, Burns should both get a start.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 September, 2017 06:51
This is also Matson's last game so it will be as well that he oversees further first choice players getting match ready & being integrated into the new structure before departing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 06:54 by Bath Hammer.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 September, 2017 07:00
Managing the Priestland - Burns decision has probably got a whole lot tougher than Todd had expected from the way that Rhys has played in the first two games. Great dilemma to have though

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 September, 2017 07:37
And also Cook(when fit) and Khan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net