rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Nathan Earle Anyone?
22 September, 2017 11:30
Just seen this.

[www.rugbypass.com]

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

Re: Nathan Earle Anyone?
22 September, 2017 11:37
Can't see any mention of Earle there. What did it say?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 11:45
Assume he means this article

Bathovalballer

22 September, 2017 11:47
Cannot do the link!!

Basically says he is out of contract at end of season, with the likes of Goode, Wyles, Maitland and Williams about, even after his fitness problems, he is being looked at by Tigers, Wasps, Exeter, Bath, Quins and Bristol.

After the summer tour, he wants/needs regular first team rugby to stay in the England set up.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 12:37
I would take him if the price is right but I am not sure if he has got the balance right between keeping some pace and gaining power and size. The injuries haven't helped either. The same happened to Paul Sampson.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 16:00
He'd certainly be an upgrade for Super Jeff, 28 (sorry my adoptee), Brew, 31 or Wilson, 27 and Banners and Roko (both 30) can only keep going for so much longer.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

ratsapprentice
ratsapprentice (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 17:24
He's one of the most promising English wingers for a while.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 22:06
Think that I would prefer Bryce Heem. Or as someone said before, Cokanasiga. Earle looks technically good, but not very exciting? When Roko retires we need someone like Maddox or Biggsy (or Roko) that brings the crowd to their feet as soon as they touch it. That's my opinion anyway.

ratsapprentice
ratsapprentice (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 23:08
Really?

Not exciting?!

How much of him have you watched?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 05:51
Just what I have seen of him on BT sport a few times last year and this. Oh and England tour. Could just be that I wasn't that invested.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 06:28
It is interesting that whenever a top level player is talked about as possibly coming to Bath people immediately start referring to a whole host of players they would prefer. Much of that is fanciful as those players are usually contracted & happy enough where they are. I am more interested in views about the player in question though it seems that some cam never be satisfied as very few meet their exacting criteria (Sm31)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 08:27
Isn't that the flexible nature of a forum, that I bounces around a bit? I didn't realise that there was such a rigid rule structure! Maybe just yes and no answers to the thread title permitted?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 10:40
Of course not. It's just that we often seem to veer off the subject straightaway & forget the original subject of the post before it's been discussed at all.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 11:42
It's an age thing. By the time we have scrolled down we have forgotten what it was we were discussing...

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

28 September, 2017 13:03
A "friend" of mine would be gutted to see him leave Saracens. She rates Earles as biggest talent they have had come through the academy in the last 8yrs. Considering he came through at the same time as Maro, that is high praise. Richard Hill loves him as a rugby player. His achilles is fixed after they have thrown plenty of money and her time at the problem and getting him fit and mentally right.

Yes, sign him. I would drive him to the Rec myself.

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

Hymenoptera
Hymenoptera (IP Logged)

28 September, 2017 16:13
Nothing seen yet impresses me...hypebole.

Srex51
Srex51 (IP Logged)

29 September, 2017 17:52
Suggest you take a look at these clips:-
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
[www.cetusnews.com]

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

29 September, 2017 18:32
If we're going for a young winger, Quins is a better place to look IMO Aspland-Robinson is going to be a star

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

29 September, 2017 22:23
Let's... not look for a winger. Young or otherwise. It's probably the lowest rung of our priorities.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 08:50
Both our starting wingers are over 30.
Maybe the situation is that if a good player/prospect becomes available then we should try and sign him, priority or no.
We've done pretty badly signing players for positions we actually need, one reason might be that the players TB wanted were unattainable. If that's the situation I guess we should still improve our squad in any way can.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 11:05
Or maybe we've used up the cap signing nice to have but not needed players.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 11:18
Quote:
DanWiley
Or maybe we've used up the cap signing nice to have but not needed players.

Do we really have any players that fit your description? Can't think of any myself.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

01 October, 2017 11:59
This thread is literally discussing signing one.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 October, 2017 13:17
Yes but you said that we had already used up the cap signing these people who were nice to have but not needed...I couldnít think of any either but thatís because with all the injuries anyone with a pair of boots is currently needed.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 08:58
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

A.B.L.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 09:02
some nice highlight clips in the page

A.B.L.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 10:16
Fully expect him to stay at Sarries.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 17:22
Rugby paper says that Zebo and Alex Lewington also on the market (or at least their agents are trying to drum up business). Both good wingers imo

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 17:29
Lewington would be fantastic. A great player who will likely always fly just below the international radar. 26 years of age and - no disrespect to Irish - could be a 15 try a season man outside the likes of Joseph and Watson.

Blimey Irish have produced some talent over the years.

Bathovalballer

10 October, 2017 08:13
IIRR Lewington was in the Leicester Academy and only got a couple of games so left for Irish.

Of the two if on offer, Zebo would be my choice ad he has more big game experience and is as good at full back as he is a winger.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 08:48
Would imagine there would be a relatively significant salary difference between the two. Would prefer Lewington myself as Zebo may be on International duty for a chunk of the season and would probably be costly.

by
by (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 09:06
Zebo might be the only player who gets any meaningful game time with our current back 3.

I can't imagine Earle or Lewington getting ahead of Watson, Roko or Banahan.

Tricky=Legend
Tricky=Legend (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 09:10
I heard (from one of the commentators) during the Irish v Leicester game on Saturday that Lewington has missed more tackles than anyone else in the Premiership this season. (15 I think)

Some of that will be down to being in a low performing team, and he could have been left with a number of two on ones etc. but still, not a stat I'd want to be associated with as a player.

Problem with Zebo is that he'll be away with Ireland a lot.

I like Perry Humphreys at Worcester. English, young, fast and can also play 15 I think. He was the one who ran around Watson in our home game last season. Wouldn't cost a bomb either.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 10:02
Quote:
by
Zebo might be the only player who gets any meaningful game time with our current back 3.
I can't imagine Earle or Lewington getting ahead of Watson, Roko or Banahan.

Given Roko and Banners ages, I can. Both great players with special qualities but sometimes raw speed trumps all.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

ELT
ELT (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 18:02
Still early days, but interesting to see that TRP today reckons that "Bath are currently the front runners to secure Earle's signature if he decides to end his time in the capital". Quins are also in the hunt, apparently.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if they let one of their bright young talents slip through their fingers, but there have been rumours that Saracens may soon struggle to keep all their stars within the cap, with new contracts coming up and escalating salaries.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 07:32
From what Iíve seen he would be a good signing. I agree we have quality in the back 3 but injuries, suspensions & fatigue are a constant threat. We are not over run with good quality backs. I canít see the relevance of saying we would much prefer other players who arenít available, assuming Earle will be.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 08:20
Quote:
Bath Hammer
From what Iíve seen he would be a good signing. I agree we have quality in the back 3 but injuries, suspensions & fatigue are a constant threat. We are not over run with good quality backs. I canít see the relevance of saying we would much prefer other players who arenít available, assuming Earle will be.

Can't agree BH, we still need a TH, we have just picked up a young 12 and 9 presumably because we need to stay within the cap.

Saracens are apparently having problems staying inside it with reports they can't afford to keep everyone going forward, its a bit of a luxury to aspire to Earle, particularly when Davis had a decent game on Saturday.

Fact is we can't afford everyone!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 09:21
"Saracens are apparently having problems staying inside it with reports they can't afford to keep everyone going forward"

Cue, a whole load of guff from Sarries PR dept about how Maro Itoje is being courted by clubs in France and Japan.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 09:22
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bath Hammer

Can't agree BH, we still need a TH, we have just picked up a young 12 and 9 presumably because we need to stay within the cap.

Saracens are apparently having problems staying inside it with reports they can't afford to keep everyone going forward, its a bit of a luxury to aspire to Earle, particularly when Davis had a decent game on Saturday.

Fact is we can't afford everyone!

Of course all this is cap dependant & I have no idea how we stand on that. It just seems that the two Maxís are not yet ďoven readyĒ & Banahan is always close to picking up an injury these days.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 19:34
Rumour on the Quins board that he is going there along with every other professional rugby player in the northern hemisphere?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net