rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

No Jack Nowell this Autumn- any chance for a cameo from Roko?
10 October, 2017 13:08
Nowell certainly appears to be out of contention for the AI's and I wonder if EJ even considers bringing Roko back into the fold,especially in view of his recent form?

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

Re: No Jack Nowell this Autumn- any chance for a cameo from Roko?
10 October, 2017 13:20
It's not like Roko's form has ever had any correlation to his England call ups! Jones and Lancaster have both ignored him before when he's been playing as well as this, or better!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 13:25
Doubt it. I expect three from May/Daly/Yarde/Watson.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 13:36
What if Brown is out? One of Watson/Daly would be starting at 15. And surely to god Eddie is going to blood someone other than Brown at full-back this autumn. Even if he wants Brown to go through to 2019, he still needs a tried and tested alternative.

Though I still think he's unlikely to back-track on Roko now.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 13:38
Sorry Opti, that's what I mean. I think either Daly/Watson at 15 and the other one or Yarde on the opposite wing to May.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 13:59

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 14:09
Would rather he stayed with Bath for the AI's

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 16:19
Quote:
OutsideBath
Would rather he stayed with Bath for the AI's

I agree. I think it's time to cease considering this possibility & hope he stays fit &!keeps scoring tries for Bath.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 18:58
Roko will not play for England as long as Eddie is in charge unfortunately.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 19:30
Quote:
BathMatt53
Roko will not play for England as long as Eddie is in charge unfortunately.

Or while Gustard is England's defence coach

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 11:00
Young
Ford
May
Farrell
Slade
Daly (not playing like he is fully fit?)
Watson

Lozowski and JJ to cover from the bench or maybe Teo against the larger sides.

EJ gets 3 guys who can handle like 10s in the side and also has Daly as a ball player in the back 3. Watson is improving his all-round skills as well. EJ keeps going on about skills and I think he sees that as the future of the game. There is still a space, though, to swap May for a big lump.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 11:09
Fitting JJ, Slade and Daly in to the team would be my aim - but how to do it? Slade to 12 means losing Ford. Or JJ to wing, which I've always thought could work. His try last Saturday was pure winger.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 11:54
Picking Teo 'for larger sides' sounds like the sort of thing Squeaky is currently slating Bomber for.
There is no point in sacrificing 2 attacking tries in a game to save one in defense.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 13:01
I was meaning Teo on the bench to give us a plan b. Without Billy and with Robshaw certain to start, we struggle for ball carriers in the open spaces and midfield. That is why I can see Launchbury given a go ahead of Kruis. Underhill is also not yet a devastating ball carrying international.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 15:21
If Eddie is true to his word, then the results of these AI games are less important than the long-term development towards 2019. There is only one Billy Vunipola - which makes it all the more dangerous to build your plan exclusively around him. But there seems to be a generation of more mobile back-row players emerging, which means that there are plenty of like-for-like replacements should one go crook. Sam Simmonds, for example, is virtually the same physique as David Pocock, as are the likes of Underhill, Curryx2, Mercer.

Lawes, Launchbury, Itoje + later in the game 1 or 2 of Jamie George, Mako, Genge should provide ample means of getting over the gain-line.

Quick ball for JJ, Ant, Daly, May should be the priority.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 15:53
No

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 18:08
Quote:
Optimist
If Eddie is true to his word, then the results of these AI games are less important than the long-term development towards 2019. There is only one Billy Vunipola - which makes it all the more dangerous to build your plan exclusively around him. But there seems to be a generation of more mobile back-row players emerging, which means that there are plenty of like-for-like replacements should one go crook. Sam Simmonds, for example, is virtually the same physique as David Pocock, as are the likes of Underhill, Curryx2, Mercer.
Lawes, Launchbury, Itoje + later in the game 1 or 2 of Jamie George, Mako, Genge should provide ample means of getting over the gain-line.

Quick ball for JJ, Ant, Daly, May should be the priority.

Pocock couldnít have a much different physique than Zach Mercer...or a much different way of playing? Sam S and Underhill I can see though.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 18:59
Sam simmonds will be well on England's radar, but chiefs do play a style that glorifies the number 8 (which Simmonds and Tank then do fantastically to make the most of), but I would hesitate to say he's the solution without seeing him feature for England properly. Agree re: mercer's difference from pocock; he is deceptively strong and great at handling, but not the somatatype one would draw as their dream back rower... I rate him incredibly highly, but his body shape renders him the exception more than the rule.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 21:56
Pocock and Mercer are almost identical in weight, though Zach is a couple of inches taller (so will probably end up a stone more). That makes him a lot more similar to Pocock than to Billy Vunipola.

MESSAGES->author
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 22:07
Pocock is all upper body and has some of the biggest arms Iíve seen. He is 184cm and 115kg according to the web (which seems heavy). Mercer is 10cm (4 inches) taller and 102kgs according to the RFU. You only need to look at them to see that they are totally different shapes? (Neither are similar to Billy mind you).

Not that any of this really matters obviously!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2017 09:24
Robshaw is the key in all of this. EJ rates his workrate and he makes very few errors as a player (not as a captain!). However, he is not a destructive player on the blindside and that means the balance changes when Billy is not there. Hughes is the nearest we have to Billy but his power doesn't seem to translate to international level. I cannot see a backrow of Underhill, Mercer and Robshaw working against the All Blacks. We need a big number 8, if Robshaw is going to play on the blindside.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 October, 2017 12:26
"I cannot see a backrow of Underhill, Mercer and Robshaw working against the All Blacks"

We're not playing the All Blacks yet - so we need 1 or 2 more players blooded at Int level. The combination doesn't matter so much as the need to get Underhill, maybe Mercer on the pitch, so that come the WC there are 6 options to perm from.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 October, 2017 12:54
Quote:
Optimist
"I cannot see a backrow of Underhill, Mercer and Robshaw working against the All Blacks"
We're not playing the All Blacks yet - so we need 1 or 2 more players blooded at Int level. The combination doesn't matter so much as the need to get Underhill, maybe Mercer on the pitch, so that come the WC there are 6 options to perm from.

Absolutely. The all blacks test will simply act as a litmus test for the World Cup. The need to assess options in preparation for Japan is paramount. The likes of Underhill, Mercer, Simmons et al need international experience.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2017 12:55
Maybe he will do a Woodward and get his core group of players and use them to fill in when injuries are around. Itoje might be moved to 8 or Robshaw could go there with Itoje or Lawes on the flank to give us a bit more size. I would love to see Mercer around the squad but feel that time is against him in this cycle. As long as we don't see Harrison or Wood around the squad, I am happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net