rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
bathstigg
bathstigg (IP Logged)

Auterac Contract
16 October, 2017 03:04
Ruck site indicating Auterac will return to London when his contract expires in the Summer. Quins are mentioned as possible suitors or a return to Saracens.Hope we can hang on to him but Beno and Catt are excellent loose heads and maybe wiser we spend cap money in other positions.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

Re: Auterac Contract
16 October, 2017 07:14
Big effort to keep him.

Catt is starting to look injury prone.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 07:52
Auterac had a good season a couple of years ago but has had lots of injuries. Obano has looked the better player this year (not seen every game admittedly) but itís easier when itís your breakthrough year I suppose.

Quality player that I wouldnít want to lose from our squad, but if he feels when everyone is fit that heís now 3rd choice I can see why heíd look elsewhere.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 07:54
Quote:
ken_jnr
Auterac had a good season a couple of years ago but has had lots of injuries. Obano has looked the better player this year (not seen every game admittedly) but itís easier when itís your breakthrough year I suppose.
Quality player that I wouldnít want to lose from our squad, but if he feels when everyone is fit that heís now 3rd choice I can see why heíd look elsewhere.

Not that he would be 1st choice at Sarries or Quins either. I always think that Auterac should be better than he is tbh - is he too muscular and has lost some mobility?

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 08:04
He's still incredibly young for an LH. His best season was when he was coming off the bench, replacing Paul James, providing impact in the loose. With this in mind, it's a shame Catt's not fit, as I still think our best combo is Catt starting with Auterac off the bench.

Obano is doing great in Catt's absence, but my 1, 2, 3 is still Catt, Auterac, Obano.

I'd love him to stay. I think he's got the makings of a world-class loosehead but needs time and careful handling.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 08:56
We would be mad to let him go. He will be 25 next month and therefore has his best and strongest years ahead of him.

Come on Bath, we need at least 3 good looseheads and IMO Obano although getting better, is number 3.

When is Catt due back? NC is 29 and probably at his peak right now and for a couple of seasons yet. Therefore, NA is the man in line to replace Catt, and with injuries/rotation etc. we should be able to keep him interested and motivated. Sincerely hope so anyway.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 09:16
Think Obano has been better in the scrum this year. Possibly a bit better about the park too. Would still like to keep Auterac unless, of course, we've someone better to replace him.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 09:36
Catt was warming up with the players on Saturday (with a subs bib on) so I assume that he can't be too far away?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 10:30
Isn't Catt more injury prone than Auterac? He's always imjured, I've forgtten what he looks like

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 10:47
Yes, I saw Catt warming up, too. It'd be great to have him back.

It sounds like we might begin to have a few players returning to the fold in the next week or two. Catt, Lahiff, Banahan, Grant, Garvey, Priestland, Homer perhaps, with Walker and Tapuai unknown but hopefully not too far away.

Cross fingers, things might be looking up on that side!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 11:00
Would be great to have a few of them back, some players deserve a rest.

Bathovalballer

16 October, 2017 11:20
Attwood is the guy we need to beef up our pack.

Certainly having the others back will help tremendously, but they haven't had much if any game time together.

How is Henry Thomas? Is he/will he be OK for the Scarletts?

3 of 4
3 of 4 (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 11:35
Nick has been with the club for quite a while now and I certainly have not seen a leap in game play from when he first joined. He hardly ever breaks the gain line, doesn't score trys, everything he does looks laboured, not mobile/quick enough maybe he is too big for his size. If he was going to be a real prospect he should have shown signs of it by now. But other than that he's an ok squad player, 3rd choice suits I'd say.(Sm132)

Bathovalballer

16 October, 2017 13:03
IIRR NA is reputed to be the strongest guy in the club lifting weights, so has huge strength potential and could easily get much better.

IMO he should be retained to cover Catt and also Obano who is improving but still has a long way to go to be absolutely top class.

Not sure he will get more game time at Quins with Marler there, and the lump that is Lambert (who is 32) plus a huge SA prop from Pau by the name of Cameron Holenstein.

No clear way to first team rugby there.

Sarries are more likely to recruit as only appear to have Barrington backing up Vunipola, but IIRR Kock can play 1 as well.

Hope we can keep him.

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 17:24
Maybe he wants to live and work closer to London?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 20:20
He says that music is his first love so I guess that the night scene is better in the smoke.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 21:59
Quote:
Bathovalballer
IIRR NA is reputed to be the strongest guy in the club lifting weights, so has huge strength potential and could easily get much better.
IMO he should be retained to cover Catt and also Obano who is improving but still has a long way to go to be absolutely top class.

Not sure he will get more game time at Quins with Marler there, and the lump that is Lambert (who is 32) plus a huge SA prop from Pau by the name of Cameron Holenstein.

Sarries are more likely to recruit as only appear to have Barrington backing up Vunipola, but IIRR Kock can play 1 as well.

Hope we can keep him.

His bench press us about 6% better than Max Lahiff's. Not a significant amount. I'm also not sure bench press is the best indicator of scrummaging effectiveness.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

16 October, 2017 22:53
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Hope we can keep him.

Lambert isn't very good (didn't even come off the bench at the weekend) and Holenstein hasn't played a single minute for their senior team in over a year. He's massive but that doesn't mean much. Auterac would probably get about the same amount of game time as he would here if Catt were fit.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 12:06
10 Cue the usual agent speculation for a player out of contract leaving
20 Cue the usual "well he's rubbish anyway" response of those on early pride damage limitation
30 GOTO 10

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 20:50
Please direct us to the Ďheís rubbish quotes? Heís clearly not rubbish otherwise he wouldnít be a pro rugby player. I agree with those above who think that he has struggled with injuries in recent times and not come on as much as we would have hoped as a result of that.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 11:10
Quote:
BathMatt53
Please direct us to the Ďheís rubbish quotes? Heís clearly not rubbish otherwise he wouldnít be a pro rugby player. I agree with those above who think that he has struggled with injuries in recent times and not come on as much as we would have hoped as a result of that.
You know what I meant I assume? A very capable player who's form hasn't really been questioned much in the recent past gets linked elsewhere and suddenly his form does come under scrutiny. Christ can you not pay a player a compliment on here any more with someone picking you up on it?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 12:33
Quote:
Rawce
Quote:
BathMatt53
You know what I meant I assume? A very capable player who's form hasn't really been questioned much in the recent past gets linked elsewhere and suddenly his form does come under scrutiny. Christ can you not pay a player a compliment on here any more with someone picking you up on it?

Touche! Slight difference though that you were picking up others for putting him down and so it was clarified. Still yes, we both know what we mean I think.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 19:49
Developments or gossip?

[www.rugbypass.com]

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 21:49
Probably not. Very disappointing news & another potential setback for Bath.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 22:16
Very disappointing if true, Bath just don't seem to be able to hold on to players.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 22:37
If a player wants to live and work in London I'm not sure how a team in Bath can really fulfill that need.

It's a problem (or being positive, an opportunity) for Bath - but I don't see how the club can be at fault.
He's given us 3 (I think) good years - thanks very much and good luck.
No need for all the criticism and implications that the club can't hang onto players, or doesn't make enough effort to keep players etc etc.

Anyway - he didn't thump enough people to be a proper front row forward - waste of time benchpressing all that weight if you don't use it properly I say.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 23:23
Itís also a two-way street. Who says that Bath begged him to stay and he is (maybe) choosing to leave? There are also deals that just donít work in terms of value for money, when someone pays through the nose for a player. Iím not sure that this is a symptom of Bath not being an attractive rugby (and life) proposition per se.

Huxster
Huxster (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 10:09
What the fluff does he mean " a front row unit at Quins with enviable depth and intellectual property"

Intellectual property !!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 10:33
It would be a real shame to lose Auterac but with Catt, Obano and Lahiff able to play there we should be covered. Depends on whether Lahiff stays at TH I suppose though, if he does then we will need to recruit someone else there.

Shame but cannot be helped if the player wishes to move geographically elsewhere!!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 11:15
Auterac is more important then some suggest in my view.
Catt sadly appears to be broken a lot.
Obano is ok so far but NA better when fully fit both in scrum and round the pitch.
Lahif a Trojan but no star.
Which leaves Auterac probably No.1 when he gets back to full steam.

SQUAWK

Bathovalballer

15 November, 2017 11:20
Great shame if it is true! Nic is only 25 IIRR and has his best (and strongest) years ahead of him. I hope we have done everything possible to keep him.

Therefore we should be looking for another loose head IMO, unless Vaughgan is capable of stepping up. Lahiff is as I understand it, solely regarded as a tight head now, so we must look to recruit. Hopefully a youngster with potential around 25. Mind you I thought Nixon was/is a loosehead? Am I wrong?

guernseyfan
guernseyfan (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 11:56
He was largely responsible for our beating Leicester at the weekend.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 12:00
Echo the disappointment on this, has real potential, although in honesty he has been less effective this season. Nonetheless I would have wanted to retain Nick

We will need to replace him.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 12:15
Is this confirmed anywhere?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 12:55
No Dan but it currently has 'rumour plus' status, also mentioned on the Anglo Welsh Highlights commentary.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 16:14
i would be throwing the chequebook at him. Young English prop. Very destructive full of potential. Cant change geographgy, but the club should be doing everthing it can to keep him.

gutted if true

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 16:16
Quote:
Pie-Half
i would be throwing the chequebook at him. Young English prop. Very destructive full of potential. Cant change geographgy, but the club should be doing everthing it can to keep him.
gutted if true

In fact with the super-duper new train line taking 1hr20 now, can we just not buy him a house in paddington and he can commute?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 18:22
It would be less disturbing if I had any confidence in our ability to sign high quality replacements. Recent experience doesnít engender that feeling.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 19:10
Underhill, Burns not up to scratch? Or do you mean signings after the start of the season?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 20:07
Quote:
BathMatt53
Underhill, Burns not up to scratch? Or do you mean signings after the start of the season?

Good point but I was thinking of reinforcements to the tight 5 & at centre.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 20:25
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
BathMatt53

Good point but I was thinking of reinforcements to the tight 5 & at centre.

The second rows in particular were locked down for quite a while, but Stooke and Ewels coming through is a decent haul. Charteris will obviously be needing to be replaced soon (Attwood as well? Hopefully not). More than decent hookers already. Its really just the props where we could have done with some top new talent IMO.

Exeter are top of the pile at the moment and I can't think of too many earth shattering signings they have made in the last year or so (unlike Bristol, for example). Of course its because they don't really have to because they can get the most out of some good, but not amazing, players.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 21:19
Catt's long term prospects looking in doubt.

Auterac's departure is all the more significant.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 21:32
Yes, need a strong replacement if he goes, no doubt about that.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 03:33
Quote:
Boldangrey

The Catt situation is a worry, particularly for him. It is essential that we have sufficient quality in reserve.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 09:30
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Boldangrey

The Catt situation is a worry, particularly for him. It is essential that we have sufficient quality in reserve.

This sounds very ominous. I understand he just underwent back surgery, is the thinking he may not return? Or more a case of he has become heavily injury prone?

I've actually been very impressed with Obano this season and would put him above Auterac in the pecking order. But if Catt is becoming a doubt Auterac would be a massive. Hope he stays.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 09:37
I'd be going hard to re-sign Auterac, and I'd also be courting Ian Henderson very heavily to replace Atters, who I am pessimistic as to whether we'll see again.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 10:38
So - where does the rumour-mill say he is headed? I assume its another Prem club?
He came from Saracens, so unlikely he would return and they are not now based in central London, although we've known examples of players who are prepared to do the travelling up and down the M1 (in the Prem I mean). Yet another sign that professionals are becoming like the rest of those under 40 with talent in any field - work for a company for a few years, get experience and skills and move on. Their careers are very short. No good getting sentimental about loyalty. This isn't a personal attack on young Auterac, who I've rated since he arrived but esp now that he has had his hair trimmed (LOL!).

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 10:39
The rumour was Quins Annie.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 11:08
Quote:
BathBurger

This sounds very ominous. I understand he just underwent back surgery, is the thinking he may not return? Or more a case of he has become heavily injury prone?

It way I read it was that the back issue has been causing all of the other injuries so this will hopefully sort him out. Itís amazing how interconnected the musculoskeletal system is and that just because the injury appears to be to a certain area, the root cause is often somewhere else.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 12:10
The other Catty used to have hamstrings like piano wires for the latter part of his time with us. The physios couldn't cure him, but when he went to LI, they identified a problem with his lower back and rejuvenated his whole career.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 12:17
On a related note Hydor I love the wisdom teeth cure...

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie is hoping that the removal of his wisdom teeth will help his battle against a series of muscle injuries. The Dutch international is set to undergo dental surgery during the summer break as he follows the lead of Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard who underwent the procedure in the fledgling stages of his career and Chelsea winger Florent Malouda who has seen an upturn in his form since the January procedure.

A few soccer players have been convinced that their wisdom teeth caused other muscle problems.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 14:29
Really sad if true. I believe NA has the potential to become a Top Class LH and we can ill afford to lose him, NC has had back surgery and who knows if he will recover completely which leaves BO and ML who has been playing TH for the past 2-3 seasons and as anyone knows who have played in the front row are poles apart.

The club is at a crossroads at the moment - we have Dave Attwood who may never regain fitness of even play again and the same could be said of NC and even Ross Batty whose recovery just goes on and with nerve issues who knows.

The upshot is we cannot afford to lose such talented and powerful players to rivals, however saying that if he is homesick or is determined to go to London there is little the club can do.

If he does go and God forbid Dave Attwood does not recover I hope we have 2 class replacements lined up.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 19:37
Catt, Attwood and H Thomas all seem to be 3 games followed by months of treatment. Very worrying.

Bathovalballer

16 November, 2017 22:13
As said before, we need a pack of forwards who we can rely upon before spending money on backs. I don't know if we have just been unlucky, but our leading forwards always seem to be injured and rarely are all fit and firing.

In Catts case, I just wonder if he is big enough when compared with the tight heads he comes up against regularly in the Premiership. I know good technique can mean a smaller man if strong enough can beat or hold his own against a physically bigger and stronger man. But when consistently up against bigger men, it must be wearing and if he had a weakness, he is going to suffer. Look at Flats and the troubles he had latterly in his career.

IMO we should sign the best quality loose head we can find, and a top quality second row, as there is no apparent improvement in the Attwood situation and is no closer to being resolved. Charteris is often hurt and Ewells looks to be more involved with England, thank heavens we have Stooke. He has proved one of the best signings we have completed.

This makes the potential loss of Auterac a real body blow and we should really dig deep and pay whatever it takes to keep him.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 22:45
A positive for me on the lock front is that despite not getting many chances Levi Douglas isnít looking out of his depth. Attwood must have been put close to a year now?

Even if auterac stays we need a prop or two. What is going on with knight at the moment? Andrews is obviously only a loan but would be happy to see him stay, the lad has done well IMO.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 22:51
Sorry, can't search it right now, but what is the situation with Ellis?

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 22:56
The last I heard his ACL rehab was going well. New year at the very earliest.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 23:07
I really like Ellis as a player, it will be great to have him back.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 23:39
Quote:
ken_jnr
The last I heard his ACL rehab was going well. New year at the very earliest.

Thanks Ken, appreciated.

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:12
Think Atwood is off. Not all bad news though....

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:37
Quote:
wilshd
Think Atwood is off. Not all bad news though....

1) how do you know?
2) whatís not all bad news?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/11/2017 03:46 by BathMatt53.

Bolly-Quin
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 22:50
Quote:
ballsout
Lambert isn't very good (didn't even come off the bench at the weekend) and Holenstein hasn't played a single minute for their senior team in over a year. He's massive but that doesn't mean much. Auterac would probably get about the same amount of game time as he would here if Catt were fit.

Holenstein was injured most, if not all of last season. Lambert is not an international by any means, but he's better than "isn't very good". I expect he'll get some game time next week. It's rumoured that he's leaving next season, to be replaced by Mr Auterac, who'll get a fair bit of game time as Marler should be away with England.

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 08:14
On the general topic of contracts throughout the team, Andrew Sheridan during the commentary yesterday mentioned Banners and his contract situation. Sounds like a bit of a stalemate between himself and the club with him wanting longer than the 1 year apparently being offered. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave either though it kills me to say it. Given Banners is now heading into the later stages of his career, is likely on a good whack, hasn't really achieved what his ability deserves here, and is now out of the England set up would it be that surprising to see him head over the channel or Gloucester as was suggested? Add that to Auterac looking likely to leave and that's a good amount freed up for the new faces Blackadder clearly feels we need.

Whats your understanding on Atwood and this good news wilshd? Great suggestion on Henderson as I read back through the thread, Atwood really is having hard time of it injury wise and the repeated injuries he picks up immediately upon his returns to the XV hold similarities to recent retirees and their eventual road to calling it quits.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 08:43
I would be amazed if Banners left - cut him in half and he would be BBW throughout. Besides him and his family are a Bath institution, Glos? Really?

IMHO they should definitely be offering him a longer term given what he brings to the club and his versatility. Particularly if its just about length and not salary, after all he's not exactly ready for the retirement home.

Bathovalballer

20 November, 2017 10:22
Ok Banners has become a bit of a Bath institution but being brutally honest, as he will be 31 on New Years Eve, what does he bring to the side?

Yes he is a danger with ball in hand going forward, and wing is probably his best position, but he has/is losing his pace, turns slowly, is a poor passer under pressure and sometimes goes missing when tackling is needed. He doesn't frighten defences like he probably did a few years ago. Yes he has experience and no doubt helps keep spirits high and possibly mentors the younger players, and is worth a one year contract. If he has aspirations of a longer career, he needs to 'earn' another contract and that would be a motivation for him.

I have no knowledge of the club's pay structure but must assume he is on a higher level than most because of the time he has been at the club. We are in a very commercial/results related environment, and therefore are not a charity. Todd and his team inherited Banners and he may not fit into their ideal of how they want to play the game. Potentially loosening up a large salary may be very attractive to them. I also believe we will see more senior players being offered lesser deals in the future and is how the new regime will get the players they want, with the skill sets needed, playing the way they want, as any coach would do.

I understand from the few conversations I have had with him over the years, how outwardly committed he is to Bath, so any idea of him going too far away, especially with his wife's family being locals, I don't think is in his thinking. I may be wrong, and if he did go anywhere, it could be Bristol. But how many sides would want a big winger/occasional centre who frankly is past his peak? Yes he is experienced but not exceptional anymore.

This contract offer is unlikely to be bettered IMV and if you really want to stay Banners, please sign whats offered. Then an go out and earn more years by better performances on the pitch and make yourself to good to lose.

Going back to the subject, in my opinion with our needing to beef up our pack, I personally would give a chunk of Banner's salary over to boosting whatever NA earns in an attempt to keep him, as he is/has more to offer the club in the future.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 10:39
I actually agree with parts of what you mention BoB.

What I would say though is that although Banners may be not quite as quick as he used to be or as prolific, he does offer us a dimension that none of our other backs do given his size and willingness to carry when nothing is seemingly on outside. You need that workman in the backline to go alongside the speedy and skillful ones like Watson and JJ etc.

He does also produce magic for us and has been a big time player for us when we have needed him. His pass to Watson at the Clash for example was pure magic and I am not sure another player would have sucked in that many defenders and been able to deliver such a cute pass as Banners.

He also wants to be at the club where as it seems Nick Auterac has his heart set on returning home to London if the rumours are to be believed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 10:49
Flouw is past his peak as well - best get rid. JJ isn't the player he was a couple of season ago either - fire sale needed? We should get rid of the two new Max boys too as they are far too callow and years away from their peak.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 11:28
Quote:
BathMatt53
Flouw is past his peak as well - best get rid. JJ isn't the player he was a couple of season ago either - fire sale needed? We should get rid of the two new Max boys too as they are far too callow and years away from their peak.

Yep.

Catt, Ellis and Attwood are always on the sick list. Move 'em on and reuse their saleries, eh BoB?

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 11:33
As always with these things, it depends whom we spent the money on. If it was for Earle and Hogg and sure we'd agree it would be worth it.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 11:45
Time to bulk up and be the 6 Burgess didn't want to be? Revert back to lock?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 12:24
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
BathMatt53

Yep.

Catt, Ellis and Attwood are always on the sick list. Move 'em on and reuse their saleries, eh BoB?

We could always bin plans to develop the Rec, I'd rather see it as a dog walking area or picnic site to be honest, would free up a bit more!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 13:58
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
BathMatt53

Yep.

We could always bin plans to develop the Rec, I'd rather see it as a dog walking area or picnic site to be honest, would free up a bit more!

Build a new stadium in Sunderland - property's cheap there.

Sunderland Romans got a ring to it. Fresh off Hadrian's wall.

And buy up Saracens and Toulon with the money saved!

grunter
grunter (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 16:21
I've heard today that Banahan to Glaws is now a done deal. Auterac next up the M5?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 16:52
Quote:
grunter
I've heard today that Banahan to Glaws is now a done deal. Auterac next up the M5?

Don't believe it.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 16:54
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
grunter

Don't believe it.

Maybe he read COML and found out he was heading to the knackers yard?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 17:06
Can't believe the club aren't offering Banners a decent contract, what's the matter with them?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 17:25
Quote:
OutsideBath
Can't believe the club aren't offering Banners a decent contract, what's the matter with them?

I can't believe I am saying this...but for once I agree with you OB!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 17:28
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

All very troubling. Would be such a massive heartbreaker if he left us for a new club.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 18:12
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

You're clearly not feeling well, suggest you go and lie down in a dark room.. 😀

wlatavg006
wlatavg006 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 18:46
Banners form has dipped a lot recently, his performance yesterday was very average

Biddy
Biddy (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 19:35
Flo will still be top turnover player per match average at end of season!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 19:44
Quote:
Biddy
Flo will still be top turnover player per match average at end of season!

... come again?

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 21:16
Banners going would be playing and symbolic disaster.
His game is still developing, like the way he now sometimes drifts in from his wing and then gives deft pass outside to scoring player.
If memory serves he did it last year at Twickers and has again this season (can't remember which match).

HOPFLAP

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 11:20
Banners leaving for Gloucester would be almost as bad as when Bendy left us or Olly Barkley went to Glos. I really feel quite emotional when these club stalwarts leave us for a new club ngl.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 12:14
Do you think the club should be emotional when considering these things though? Sure consider the impact on the team, fans and ethos, but I think the actual decision should be a fairly cold one.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 12:42
Quote:
DanWiley
Do you think the club should be emotional when considering these things though? Sure consider the impact on the team, fans and ethos, but I think the actual decision should be a fairly cold one.

I'm sure that it will be, they must weigh up all the on and off field benefits. As you say, this must include not only losing that person as a player but also the risk of others around him playing worse as a result of him not being involved.

As a player like banners has developed over the years his attributes have developed from being just a huge guy who flattened people to a leader. The point at which a player is no longer good enough (through age or injury) to be on the field is for me the point where the club needs to either move him to an off-field role or let him leave gracefully (for a lower league or whatever). Hoops is a good example - when he thought that he was no longer able to play the club must have thought that he was too valuable to let go.

For me Banners still has enough to give on the field and obviously lots to give off it and so I would definitely want him to see out his top level playing career with us if he wants to stay and his salary expectations aren't unrealistic.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 12:55
There are so few real leaders in the squad it's really stupid to let one go to a main rival for 5/6th place.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 15:58
They did it for Hooper why not Banners?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 16:12
Quote:
Boldangrey
They did it for Hooper why not Banners?

I guess Hoopers salary would have dropped significantly when he stopped playing and Banners can get another big paychq if he keeps playing a bit longer?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 18:29
Didn't Hooper get 'that one last year'?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 20:04
This is absolutely ridiculous. A player like Banners is worth far more to us than his playing ability. He is one of our few leaders, a great inspiration, an absolute stalwart of the Club. Losing Autorac & Banners, particularly Banners, is just plain daft. Itís not as if we are much good at recruiting replacements (Sm31)(Sm31)(Sm31)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2017 20:05 by Bath Hammer.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 20:06
We havenít lost either yet!

Knipm
Knipm (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 00:12
Long time visitor, first time poster.

Iíd be gutted if Banners left. From a playing perspective he continues to make valuable contributions, in various positions, and rarely goes missing as others do. But from a personality perspective Iíd say heís one of the last remaining player who genuinely seems to care about the club and itís outcomes. Itís the nature of an increasingly professional game that clubs simply become interchangeable employers rather than something a player closely identifies with,but losing those final players that do absolutely love the club is a real pity. Weíre utterly lacking the ethos of a Saracens or an Exeter so anyone maintaining a semblance of a Bath identity should be clung on to in my view!

Whilst itís great having incredible players and names like Faletau, Watson, JJ, Iíve not once seen an interview that has genuinely made me think that their passion is the success of Bath and as a long time fan, whilst itís certainly idealised and unrealistic in a short professional career, it is sad.

On a separate note re: contracts - there are clubs wooing Tapuai and TB doesnít seem overly keen on holding on to him. Again, Iím hearing more of useful players leaving than arriving and as with relatively few arrivals this summer, it is a concern that there doesnít seem to be a queue of good players wanting to play for us if we show interest and get involved in the Ďprojectí rather than signing being an opportunity for a relatively larger pay day.

Apologies for typos- written on desktop site on mobile as mobile site unusable due to ad takeover!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2017 07:24 by Knipm.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 00:21
Other than an unverified post in this thread why do we believe Banners is off?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 06:47
(Yes knipm my mobile is now unusable too, the add has gone down both sides meaning that I get about 3mm in the middle).

Tapuai has been one of our most exciting players when he has had the opportunity to play this year? Another that we should be keeping if possible IMO.

SW Malco is calling it a done deal on the shedweb site, could be just agent talk again. I will believe it if I see an announcement.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 07:11
Players leaving and no sign of quality coming in as replacements, where has the ambition for success gone?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 07:32
Quote:
Knipm
Long time visitor, first time poster.
Iíd be gutted if Banners left. From a playing perspective he continues to make valuable contributions, in various positions, and rarely goes missing as others do. But from a personality perspective Iíd say heís one of the last remaining player who genuinely seems to care about the club and itís outcomes. Itís the nature of an increasingly professional game that clubs simply become interchangeable employers rather than something a player closely identifies with,but losing those final players that do absolutely love the club is a real pity. Weíre utterly lacking the ethos of a Saracens or an Exeter so anyone maintaining a semblance of a Bath identity should be clung on to in my view!

Whilst itís great having incredible players and names like Faletau, Watson, JJ, Iíve not once seen an interview that has genuinely made me think that theyíre passion is the success of Bath and as a long time fan, whilst itís certainky idealised and unrealistic in a short professional career, it is sad.

On a separate note re: contracts - there are clubs wooing Tapuai and TB doesnít seem overly keen on holding on to him. Again, Iím hearing more of useful players leaving than arriving and as with relatively few arrivals this summer, it is a concern that there doesnít seem to be a queue of good players wanting to play for us if we show interest and get involved in the Ďprojectí rather than signing being an opportunity for a relatively larger pay day.

Apologies for typos- written on desktop site on mobile as mobile site unusable due to ad takeover!

I 100% agree Knipm - you should post more! These may not be done deals but it is rare that thereís nothing behind rumours such as these. If we are even considering replacing the likes of Banahan, who is worth so much in his contribution, attitude & effectiveness, with some random mercenary it is tantamount to ripping the heart from the club. Saracens donít do that - think how many long serving players there have been in their ranks. It is essential to do everything to keep those players whose heart is really in the club like Hooper, Garvey, Banahan, Atwood & even now Kahn but especially Banahan.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 07:38
Until we develop a club ethos similar to Sarries/Chiefs where few players actually want to leave we will achieve nothing more than mid table mediocrity.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 07:49
Of course both Sarries and chiefs have a strong core of players who came up through the youth ranks and have just been supplemented with quality when needed. Our relatively weak academy set-up around 2008-2012 when those players were cleaning the boots of the first team (Do they do that any more?) means that our home grown players are mostly pretty young and just breaking through now. I would hope that Clark and Ewels, Ellis, zach M would feel a bond for the club?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 08:58
Chron

More detail about Banners - some distance between club and player it seems. Positive sounds about club and Khan.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net