rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

Stooke to Briz rumour
17 October, 2017 16:18
Here

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Would we really let him go?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Re: Stooke to Briz rumour
17 October, 2017 16:20
I seriously hope not!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 16:26
If we have no ambition he'll be allowed to leave.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 16:37
Sad.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 16:43
Dan Evans said there's no truth to it. So just agent speak at this point.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 16:45
Everytime there’s a rumour linking a player of ours to another club, that’s not the club’s fault.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 16:59
This story did appear in TRP on Sunday alongside news about Auterac being a target for Quins. I do hope there is no truth in it, he has been fantastic since his arrival...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 17:05
One of my favourite players in the team tbh. Never takes a backwards step and never lets anyone down. Would be gutted if he went.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 19:30
Quote:
BathMatt53
One of my favourite players in the team tbh. Never takes a backwards step and never lets anyone down. Would be gutted if he went.

+ 1

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 19:48
Hopefully just an agent trying to strengthen their hand for negotiating a new contract with Bath.

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 20:12
To be honest all clubs are interested in quality players and Elliot Stooke has certainly put himself in that category with his performances for us. He has been a really good signing in my view.

I am sure that we look at potential signings from other clubs and it would be a shock if other clubs didn't look at our players.

I would certainly like us to keep Elliot and I think that most fans would want him to sign an extended contract with us.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 20:25
Quote:
BathMatt53

Just out of interest, can anyone name a Premiership 2nd row forward who actually does 'take a backwards step'?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 20:40
In Strictly Come Line Out these days it can be backward steps, two sideways one forward or any combination it seems.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 20:48
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
BathMatt53

Just out of interest, can anyone name a Premiership 2nd row forward who actually does 'take a backwards step'?

You know what I meant I assume? Seeks out contact and enjoys the dirty work and smashing people. I really like his play and his attitude to the game. Christ can you not pay a player a compliment on here any more with someone picking you up on it?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 October, 2017 21:12
Sadly we are not in a stable enough position going forward to say with certainty that any player, unless an undoubted fist choice, will not be lured away to a club with equal or greater ambition.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 07:15
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Sadly we are not in a stable enough position going forward to say with certainty that any player, unless an undoubted fist choice, will not be lured away to a club with equal or greater ambition.
rrrrright. And Bristol fall into that category do they?

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 07:41
Quote:
Bath Hammer
... will not be lured away to a club with equal or greater ambition.

Ah, so the ambition of the club is linked to the size of their chequebook.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 07:48
Stooke is competing with Attwood, Charteris, Ewels and Garvey for our 2nd row shirts and that looks a really good set of locks. We also have Phillips who could go back to Bristol instead of ES. AI/6N call ups mean Stooke should get plenty of game time without being over used which will be good for his long term health. Bristol are recruiting their AP squad now rather than next summer & I hope he isn't tempted...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 08:06
Quote:
Substitute
Quote:
Bath Hammer

Bristol are intent on buying the PL title so he may well be tempted.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 08:36
They will still have to fit within the salary cap though when they come up. I saw rumours they were also trying to sign Franco Mostert so who knows what they really want!

I don't think there is much to this rumour to be honest for a number of reasons. Firstly Stooke is very tight with a lot of the younger guys in the squad - Watson, JJ, Dunn etc and with that friendship comes a decent amount of loyalty to those guys who seem to be sticking around here.

We have also given him tons of 1st team game time which he did not get elsewhere and so I am sure he is willing to repay that.
He is also really improving and becoming a very good player with that first XV exposure and with Charteris now 34 and he and Attwood not enjoying much clean health his opportunities will seemingly not disappear despite us being well stocked at second row. He also gets to play alongside Ewels who is another young up and coming second row and so for him it is a win win as they can both push each other on to continue improving.

I would like him and Ewels to be the next Grewcock and Borthwick for us in future years personally so would be saddened if he left!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 09:30
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Stooke is competing with Attwood, Charteris, Ewels and Garvey for our 2nd row shirts and that looks a really good set of locks. We also have Phillips who could go back to Bristol instead of ES. AI/6N call ups mean Stooke should get plenty of game time without being over used which will be good for his long term health. Bristol are recruiting their AP squad now rather than next summer & I hope he isn't tempted...

Stooke is competing with:

- Attwood (unfortunately injured a large proportion of the time)
- Charteris (a number 4, will be 35 at end of season and also unfortunately injured a large proportion of the time)
- Ewels (a number 4 but good prospect. Away with England?)
- Garvey (for me, better as a 6 and additional lineout option)
- Phillips (has been a solid replacement but isn't as good as Stooke IMO)

So at the moment ES is essential at 5 and as a good young player will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Big Dave
Big Dave (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 10:35
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Substitute
Quote:
Bath Hammer

Bristol are intent on buying the PL title so he may well be tempted.

As opposed to B**h, for whom Bruce Craig, for whatever reason, can't buy the title, but not for want of trying.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 10:37
We would be mad to let young Stooke (only 24!) go. IMO he is ahead of Ewells on his club performances and he will only get bigger and stronger. He has never given less than 100% and works his socks off both in the tight and around the field.

We need to keep young players who are going to grow with the club. ES should be looked upon as part of that important core of the team

Singapore Sam
Singapore Sam (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 13:55
Whether there is any substance to this rumour I don't know, but what I do know is that Bristol have a lot of money and a lot of ambition and any agents worth their commission at the moment are going to be dropping that name all over the place to gain better terms for the client. If every player (allegedly) currently linked to Bristol came aboard we'd need 5 salary caps!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 14:33
When you say they’ve got a lot of money then surely so have we. The problem in the end comes down to the salary cap so spending has to be restricted.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 October, 2017 16:19
Can't blame Briz for using dosh to get a top squad together as quickly as they can - which team wouldn't [and please don't trundle out the Chiefs as an example, that is never going to happen again]

Whagwan
Whagwan (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 12:56
Quote:
OutsideBath

Bristol are intent on buying the PL title

Mwahahahaha the irony!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 13:24
Don't get this 'buying the title' line. There's a cap, any club could have all the money in the world but they can only spend up to the cap. I know there's the allowance for a top star but one or two players won't make a championship winning side. If/when Bristol are promoted they'll have as much chance as everyone else to try to put together a side capable of competing. Such will be the jump in level i would imagine that will take a few years, understandably.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 14:24
Quote:
Danchinho
Don't get this 'buying the title' line. There's a cap, any club could have all the money in the world but they can only spend up to the cap. I know there's the allowance for a top star but one or two players won't make a championship winning side. If/when Bristol are promoted they'll have as much chance as everyone else to try to put together a side capable of competing. Such will be the jump in level i would imagine that will take a few years, understandably.

It depends if Bristol are governed by the [Prem Rugby] salary cap whilst playing in The Championship which is overseen/managed/run by the RFU rather than Prem Rugby. In theory they could exceed the cap this season - thus "buying" The Championship because Mr. Lansdown is prepared to pay - and rein in spending to comply with the cap next season...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 15:16
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Danchinho

It depends if Bristol are governed by the [Prem Rugby] salary cap whilst playing in The Championship which is overseen/managed/run by the RFU rather than Prem Rugby. In theory they could exceed the cap this season - thus "buying" The Championship because Mr. Lansdown is prepared to pay - and rein in spending to comply with the cap next season...

I don't think that Bristol need to buy the championship, the teams there are generally way below Prem standard. Even a poor (relegated) Prem team should come straight back up. Besides which these latest signings like Stooke and even Charles Piutau would be next year when they are in the Prem.

With the players that Bris will have I fully expect them to be Prem top 6 next season, competing with the (multiple) other teams that are operating at the top of the cap.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 15:26
They still have to win the Championship first

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 15:48
Quote:
hemington

Based on the table (W6, L0) I would say that they are well on their way?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 16:15
I don't think Briz are trying to buy the Prem because they will still not have the squad to compete straight away next year without replacing probably around 20 odd of their 32 man squad!

They have Madigan, Luatua, C Piutau and Morahan who I would say are going to be top Premiership standard players. In the case of Charles Piutau a real game changer for them. However, they had someone of a good quality at fullback last year in Woodward and that really made little difference to them staying up and so not sure they can rely on that.

You add in Hurrell, Lam, Crane, Varndell, Tonga'uiha, Pisi, Siale Piutau and Lemi you have some experienced Premiership players but some of these are old and will be squad players you'd have to imagine instead of starters.

There is still then a lot of work to do to build a squad capable of winning any titles in the top flight imo - front row, particularly hooker and tight head they need, second rows, flankers, top scrum half or two and maybe one other good quality centre is a must for them to compete and stay up for me tbh.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 16:31
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
hemington

Ealing Trailfinders (sounds like they are always on tour!) are 5-1 - the loss away to Bristol with very similar points for and against so I would say at present it is not clear cut

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 16:41
Quote:
hemington
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
hemington

Ealing Trailfinders (sounds like they are always on tour!) are 5-1 - the loss away to Bristol with very similar points for and against so I would say at present it is not clear cut

Doubt they can do it, but would be great to see Ealing top the championship.

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 17:03
Quote:
OutsideBath

Will they be allowed to come up? Do they satisfy the regulations re: ground capacity, etc?

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 17:06
They could ground share South Afican Embassy in Barnet

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 20:43
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Quote:
OutsideBath

Will they be allowed to come up? Do they satisfy the regulations re: ground capacity, etc?

I don't think they want to come up - not willing to move.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

19 October, 2017 21:35
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Quote:
OutsideBath

And because they dont have millions to spend they dont have any ambition...

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)

20 October, 2017 00:01
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Danchinho

You cannot front-load a contract in the championship then gain promotion to skirt the cap - it's a loophole thought of already and provisions are in place. The only way Bris could spend over the premiership cap is if they refuse promotion and remain in the championship with a £7million+ playing budget.

This train of thought is more than a little ironic given what happened in recent history and some years before that.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

20 October, 2017 06:48
Rugby Pod have Bristols signing the Grey brothers. Now that's two top signings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2017 18:01 by Widcombe Boy.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 October, 2017 08:03
Crikey! So they are going to sign every available expensive player in the known universe...? Lazy journalism for me, an agent says that his player is looking and they have their 'go to' list of clubs who have historically paid big wages, oh and Sale probably because they have space in the cap and Richie was there before.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

20 October, 2017 18:10
Quote:
Substitute
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Quote:
OutsideBath

And because they dont have millions to spend they dont have any ambition...

I'd say prgmatic. Could say loyal to their local fans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net