rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Slippery Slope?
27 October, 2017 20:45
Is anyone else disgusted [and concerned] about the Sale coach [not for the first time] delivering a moaning football style rant about the referee. Perhaps no-one takes him seriously. I certainly hope it does not become an inherent part of the "background music" as in football. I guess he's just worried about his job [oops, football again]. Not knocking football but I for one would not like to see the same money driven imperatives corroding the values for which we love this game. I hope its not too late! Whether the referee was poor or not for me the game becomes meaningless if you can't take it as it comes. No difference whether its professional or amateur sport. Players and coaches concerns about their livelihoods is never an argument for disrespecting the office and position of the referee. It is only a game and its a privilege [and also a choice] to be able to make a living from it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Slippery Slope?
27 October, 2017 20:46
Heís just a bit of a panto dame isnít he? One of the sisters?

27 October, 2017 20:48
Thats reassuring. Thanks! And who are the others?!! [sisters]

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 20:58
He's a garbage coach. Can't win away. Blames his players. Blames the ref. Blames everyone but himself. Hasn't ever actually won everything but seems to get respect because he's intimidating.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 21:38
You have to say the right thing on those occasions though supporters seem to feel they have the right to subject quite good referees to extreme criticism. However, for the life of me I couldnít see what the infringement was by Sale.

MESSAGES->author
Miles Offside (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 22:21
Those of us long-standing members of the East Stand RAC (Referee Advisory Council) have known for years that whatever advice we propounded during the match is officially irrelevant after the final whistle, and whatever the law is that goes "...the referee is the sole arbiter of..." then takes precedence.

We are at that point relieved of our duties of advising the officials of their shortcomings and free to take further refreshment in consolation or celebration, depending upon the result of our efforts that day.

This is how it should be.

I don't think for a second that there is a top flight referee in Rugby with a deliberate bias for or against one team. I do believe in the right of supporters to point out to match officials any unconscious bias that we believe may be creeping into their performance. It's part of the game. But it should stop when "no side" is called. Then, win or lose, it's time to buy the officials a pint if you get the chance, because we wouldn't have a sport without them.

(Sm109)

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 08:43
He was completely unaware of the irony of his rant. He complained about inconsistency and the ref penalising his side for the very same offence which had cost Exeter a yellow card minutes earlier.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 08:54
Quote:
Miles Offside

This is how it should be.

I quite agree.

But with all the referee reports (as referenced by Dean Ryan) and the hindsight citings, I'm not surprised that ref's come in for more criticism.

Still, if he wants to blame a ref he can. Calling it 'football-like" is akin to calling the person who opposes immigration 'racist' - it does nobody again good.

If people are criticizing ref's like this, we should ask why. Why is it felt that ref's have an uncanny ability to change the game substantially. Why do we need TMOs, citings, ref ratings and reports unless the ref is indeed fallible?

28 October, 2017 09:51
I have no problem with "advising" the officials from the stands during the match. That is part of the fun and "the match day experience" [?] and of course I indulge in such myself. None of that has anything to do with my central point. However if you like I will withdraw all reference to "football"; again makes no difference to the argument other than pointing out a distinct difference in culture which IS central to the appeal of rugby vs. football [a much rehearsed discussion I know which doesn't need repeating here]. Of course referees and umpires are fallible, they just are [its called being human]. One day all players, balls bats, rackets etc may be chipped and 100% electronically monitored and no need for officials....oh hang on ....robots interpreting dangerous play, misconduct, spirit of the game etc? maybe we're stuck with fallible humans. I always used to say on this subject[and I have played sport at a decent standard] consider having a game without one [referee/umpire] then just shut up and get on with it.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 10:18
Rob Baxter also referred to refereeing, but IMHO his comments were much more illuminating.

His point (paraphrased) was that players are off their feet at rucks in most games and get away with it often, but if penalised should accept it- which he said his team had.

He highlighted (without criticising the individual referee) a widespread problem in the game.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

28 October, 2017 10:35
All very reasonably and calmly expressed. Baxter's manner and demeanour are a million miles from the above and in my view should be an example to many!I'm no Exeter fan but Mr Baxter is very impressive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2017 10:38 by The man on the Clapham omnibus.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2017 07:35
Hear hear.
I think that it we're all honest, we all like a good rant about the referee during the 80 minutes... But as soon as that final whistle goes - end of story. You could have played better and won, so stop moaning.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

29 October, 2017 08:00
Quote:
The man on the Clapham omnibus
All very reasonably and calmly expressed. Baxter's manner and demeanour are a million miles from the above and in my view should be an example to many!I'm no Exeter fan but Mr Baxter is very impressive.

+1

Can't stand them but you have to admire what they have achieved under Baxter who is the best English coach around.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

29 October, 2017 08:54
Quote:
The man on the Clapham omnibus

And I'm happy to say Todd is from the same mould. Doesn't criticise the officials and takes any punishment on the chin. He's gallant both in both winning and losing.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

29 October, 2017 10:53
Just a rather fed up disappointed coach under huge pressure. Some of them can take it on the chin and others cannot. "You are only as good as your last win" is a motto for coaches! See the Saints board since their team's recent form if you think Diamond has problems!!!!!!!

29 October, 2017 12:21
And I'm happy to say Todd is from the same mould. Doesn't criticise the officials and takes any punishment on the chin. He's gallant both in both winning and losing.[/quote]

+1
Couldn't agree more.

29 October, 2017 12:27
Sorry couldn't do the quote think properly on my (oldish) phone!

18 November, 2017 17:34
Hmm...seems my original observation was not an over reaction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net