rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

"Unavailable for Selection"
01 November, 2017 22:22
How this term has grown in significance over the past couple of seasons.
Until recently this was never officially reported - perhaps to avoid giving the opposition unnecessary information about team strength.

This weekend a combination of:
Being away on International duty,
Suffering long-term injuries,
Bans (whether merited or not),

I calculate that 19 first team members are indeed "Unavailable for Selection".

This situation robs the paying customer of seeing these players perform - in some cases for very long periods, and disrupts the creativity of building a consistant team ethos.

Is this just unfortunate and a product of the modern game or should it be a subject for serious consideration?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: "Unavailable for Selection"
01 November, 2017 22:27
Hey, it's an anglo-welsh game, I imagine half the fans are suddenly 'unavailable for selection'.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

02 November, 2017 06:58
Do other clubs report this too? I canít say I browse their websites for teams, so havenít seen.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 November, 2017 07:56
Some do, most don't.
IIRC we were the first to do so last year; but that could be that I just hadn't been paying attention

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

02 November, 2017 11:23
Quote:
johnnyf

Is this just unfortunate and a product of the modern game or should it be a subject for serious consideration?

Both Johnny I think. Most clubs suffer from it, so finding out why and limiting the impact is a matter for the game at large as well as the clubs.

For example - are recent law changes, conditioning methods, refereeing styles or the sheer volume of games (including short turn rounds) the cause?

If any of those are they can be addressed. IMHO they should be for the sake of the game as much as the spectator.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

02 November, 2017 22:01
PG I agree with your thrust.
At the mo it benefits teams to have chaps of 16stones or more in every position. Boring.
So, gone is the variation in contribution, cos there is no need for fat blokes who don't go backwards in scrums but in compensation aren't required to run around much.
Conversely the thin speedy artistic types aren't needed because there's no space anywhere anyway.
Q. If that's the problem how do you solve it?
A. Change The Laws so that any player whose shirt number is in double figures should be banned from being in any ruck or maul at any time ever.
Sorted.
This is not entirely in jest.

HOP

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 00:53
Quote:
sid the seagull
PG I agree with your thrust.
At the mo it benefits teams to have chaps of 16stones or more in every position. Boring.
So, gone is the variation in contribution, cos there is no need for fat blokes who don't go backwards in scrums but in compensation aren't required to run around much.
Conversely the thin speedy artistic types aren't needed because there's no space anywhere anyway.
Q. If that's the problem how do you solve it?
A. Change The Laws so that any player whose shirt number is in double figures should be banned from being in any ruck or maul at any time ever.
Sorted.
This is not entirely in jest.

HOP

(Sm147) wtf

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 01:41
Cheslin Kolbe, Telusa Veianu, Gio Aplon, Kyle eastmond, Damian mckenzie, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Charlie walker, Christian wade..?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 04:00
Quote:
benjbath
Cheslin Kolbe, Telusa Veianu, Gio Aplon, Kyle eastmond, Damian mckenzie, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Charlie walker, Christian wade..?

Umm..your boys took a hell of a beating?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 07:25
Backs hitting rucks often leads to quick ball the quicker players can exploit.

People have lamented that new laws on lower tackles make it harder for bigger, less mobile players, they find it harder to go lower... Seems good.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 11:51
Yes - confirmed 19 unavailable this weekend.
Only Garvey and Banahan of any reasonable qualification as leaders in the squad announced.
Is this going to provide results/entertainment/purpose?

This is not much more than, if any more than, a United team being given a run out for those coming back from injury and youngsters.

I'm afraid that I cannot see this as a promotion for the Bath Brand.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 12:11
What the lawmakers need to do is restore the space in the game to allow running rugby.

The best way to do this is to create a breakdown which requires the majority of forwards on both sides to commit. The breakdown needs to be deep enough for "back foot" to be more than a foot or two away from opposition so that there is a genuine separation between attacker and defender when the ball emerges.

This needs to be supported by proper policing of the offside line to allow a true "no man's land" between team in possession and defending team when the scrum half gets the ball.

This should reduce the number of collision between the largest players clogging up the midfield and reduce the need for teams to batter their way forward as the main means of progress- so reducing injury and increasing spectacle and entertainment.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 20:14
Well done PG we agree and you get the point.
Ballsout sadly you see only what you see.
Not anything else, was or could be.

SQUAWK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net