rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath85
Bath85 (IP Logged)

First Part Season Review
08 November, 2017 08:14
So 4th place, albeit level on points with 7th, joint top of champions cup group, joint top of LV cup group. Not a bad start....

Injuries seem to have abated for now, i count 7 senior players;

End of Nov Williams Wing
End of Nov Batty Hooker
End Of Nov Attwood Second
End Of Nov Knight THP
Jan Ellis Flanker
Jan Thomas THP
Season KPN THP

A few new recent additions, Green, Wright, Wilson (promising youth and experience) , suddenly we seem to have a reasonable supply of fit players in pretty much all positions. Even Prop, both sides!
Things in my book are simmering nicely. Yes we may have lost close games to Newcastle and Gloucester, but it seems that almost every game is close now in the premiership, a testament to the quality of the league.

What I would like to see for the rest of the year in an ideal world would be;

Max green to slot in quickly, so we can stop worrying about the fitness of CC and KF.
To qualify for the champions cup next stage, a win over Toulon at home I think will be enough.
To make the playoffs, I think Sarries and the Chief are guaranteed, with ourselves and Leicester making up the other two slots.
Players to stay fit, so we can avoid another injury crisis.
The club to start looking at a super star potential winger for next season, that said I have been impressed with the quality of some of the young players we have. I think we currently have a really good mix of hungry youth and experience.

I for one am the most excited I have been about baths future for a long time.
COYB

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: First Part Season Review
08 November, 2017 08:35
So 4th place, albeit level on points with 7th, joint top of champions cup group, joint top of LV cup group. Not a bad start....

Yes we may have lost close games to Newcastle and Gloucester, but it seems that almost every game is close now in the premiership, a testament to the quality of the league.

Agree with both of these sentences. It will be really interesting to see how the league pans out with the Internationals away now and also 6N

To qualify for the champions cup next stage, a win over Toulon at home I think will be enough.

Not if we lose the others - not easy games by any stretch

To make the playoffs, I think Sarries and the Chief are guaranteed, with ourselves and Leicester making up the other two slots.

Saints will be close again and Wasps only need a couple of wins to get right back in the mix

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 November, 2017 04:02
Quote:
Bath85
Injuries seem to have abated for now, i count 7 senior players;

End of Nov Williams Wing
End of Nov Batty Hooker
End Of Nov Attwood Second
End Of Nov Knight THP
Jan Ellis Flanker
Jan Thomas THP
Season KPN THP

A few new recent additions, Green, Wright, Wilson (promising youth and experience) , suddenly we seem to have a reasonable supply of fit players in pretty much all positions. Even Prop, both sides!
Things in my book are simmering nicely. Yes we may have lost close games to Newcastle and Gloucester, but it seems that almost every game is close now in the premiership, a testament to the quality of the league.

What I would like to see for the rest of the year in an ideal world would be;

Max green to slot in quickly, so we can stop worrying about the fitness of CC and KF.
Players to stay fit, so we can avoid another injury crisis.
The club to start looking at a super star potential winger for next season, that said I have been impressed with the quality of some of the young players we have. I think we currently have a really good mix of hungry youth and experience.

I for one am the most excited I have been about baths future for a long time.
COYB

Heartening to read such a “glass half full” review but I think it is a touch optimistic. I don’t feel quite so relaxed about those two home defeats & consider it more than likely there will be further disappointments mixed with some good displays. I see Leicester & Wasps making up the top 4 with us hopefully sneaking into the top 6. It may be a bit early for Max Green & I think we may have to win our away games to qualify for Champions Cup. We seem stronger away than at home.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 November, 2017 07:12
The home defeats have taken all the gloss off a promising start for me.

I would mark the start as no better than B-

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 November, 2017 07:16
Nice to be optimistic but I'm afraid I can still remember our turgid lateral attacking performance v Gloucester and despite my BBW tinted view we feel more like the 7th best team than the 4th best team.

We have the players, we have the spirit, and we have the work ethic, and we (mostly) have the defence required to be successful. What we need to develop is the concentration, accuracy, game plan, and penetration to win games.

Also be nice to get a bit of luck with injuries.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 November, 2017 14:22
I can genuinely write-off that Newcastle game. It was irritating, but it was bizarre.

Gloucester at home was a significant set back.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 November, 2017 17:38
Neither defeats bother me that much. What does is that our strategy as it stands seems a little narrow and as such fairly easy to find out.

We seem to have developed a counter attacking style: frustrate the opposition and be clinical when the opportunity arises. That seems to have come unstuck in games where the opposition is being equally defensive (when we're at home or playing an underdog) OR if we're just not in the right place to be that clinical. We don't seem to be able to do it that consistently.

Perhaps that comes down to losing our head coach, but for this season I think we're going to get found out at the sharp end. As we lost tabs maybe that's to be the best we can hope for?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net