rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

Booth to Cardiff Blues?
12 November, 2017 19:04
In today's Rugby Paper Fissler reckons our Toby tops the list of candidates wanted by the Welsh region as their new HC/DOR. Will he be tempted? What impact would his leaving have? Can we and Todd afford to lose him?

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

Re: Booth to Cardiff Blues?
12 November, 2017 19:09
We absolutely can't afford to lose him, but as it's only Fissler commenting on it at this stage there's nothing to worry about.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2017 19:10
We haven't gone that far forward in 6 years with him? I suppose it depends on who would be available as a replacement?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 November, 2017 19:26
He would be mad to go there!!

Club in disarray, They signed Franco van der Merwe in the summer then couldn't pay fro him. They have one permanent coaches with Nicky Robinson coaching the academy and Shaun Edwards doing part time defence coaching.

The money doesn't add up and won't till the ground is redeveloped, Peter Thomas is reluctant to put any more money in.

WRU may or may not take it over but not at all clear where that is going. Overall a very unclear and chaotic future in my opinion!

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2017 19:26
With Tabai's departure surely someone like Toby going then it can only be bad news and why would he go to the likes of Cardiff. If Bruce wants to keep him then the Blues have no chance

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

12 November, 2017 19:31
There was a news item on the offy about the coaching path way for young coaches recently, succession planning is good, but we need the senior guys in place until the next generation is ready.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

12 November, 2017 20:40
A bit like the Auterac rumour, Iím not excited about the possibility of losing him but I could see why he might go. Pure speculation on my part, but if there was no chat behind the scenes that Booth might fancy the top seat again somewhere then he would seem an odd name on a short list. He may not fancy Cardiff but he might fancy somewhere.

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 08:45
Sorry to go off topic slightly but what was the Auterac rumour? I must have missed that one.

Very much hope Booth doesn't go-his knowledge of the game is huge and serves us very well. If he were to begin considering his future then Blues does seem, with the greatest of respect to them, an odd choice given their recent struggles.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 09:59
Quote:
HugoBoss
Sorry to go off topic slightly but what was the Auterac rumour? I must have missed that one.

Quins, amongst others, interested in signing him when his contract expires in the near future...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 10:04
My one fear is that Hooper seems to being fast tracked for a senior role. I think he needs to cut his teeth at a Championship club before he is ready.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 10:12
Why? Wouldn't coaching the United/AW team and learning under Blackadder be a better education?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 11:21
As said above, my guess is Hooper is being groomed (so to speak). Least said soonest mended. Do hope that Hoops has got his coaching qualifications sorted?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 11:40
I think there is a considerable difference between knowing how to coach & having overall responsibility to guide & lead a clubís coaching in every respect with no-one to lean on.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 11:46
I have to say I worry at the turnover of coaches at Bath Rugby. If you look at clubs when they are at their best they have a coach who has been in place at least 4 years, Mark McCall at Sarries, Richard Cockerill at Leicester, Rob Baxter at Exeter as examples.

Not all our fault but how many coaches have we lost to England?

Losing Neal Hatley has seen us struggle up front and Tabai was a huge loss. Todd is still developing his style. When was the last time a coach has a 4 year plus stint at Bath? I really think this is far more significant than criticising players performances. There has to be a uniform understanding and a vision gong forward.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 12:23
Fully agree Shipwrecked.

We need stability for at least 3 full seasons and preseasons, and ideally longer. Personally I like Todd and he is still 'bedding in' to his role at Bath and getting the players to play his way and also the players he wants. I always said it will take time and I hope we can hang on to him as IIRR he is only here for 3 years!

Feel Booth has a vital role in providing the continuity and should be retained although he is not the talent Hatley obviously provided the forwards. As it appears as our attack has evaporated, Tabai is certainly a loss. Who is respnsible for attack now? Wonder what Edwards does, as if he is skills coach we haven't seen much progress on that front?

Personally, I am not in favour of Hooper becoming a coach as he has no experience in the role and also he is probably too familiar with the players. Any recruit should IMO come from outside and be signed on a long term contract. Rarely does promotion from within work in sport although you could argue Rob Baxter's long association with Exeter has certainly reaped dividends.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 12:24
Quote:
shipwrecked
I have to say I worry at the turnover of coaches at Bath Rugby. If you look at clubs when they are at their best they have a coach who has been in place at least 4 years, Mark McCall at Sarries, Richard Cockerill at Leicester, Rob Baxter at Exeter as examples.
Not all our fault but how many coaches have we lost to England?

Losing Neal Hatley has seen us struggle up front and Tabai was a huge loss. Todd is still developing his style. When was the last time a coach has a 4 year plus stint at Bath? I really think this is far more significant than criticising players performances. There has to be a uniform understanding and a vision gong forward.

Agree but difficult to know what can be done about it.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:46
What can be done about it is... grooming an ex-player to take a long term view. Which is what they're doing. That shouldn't change Blackadder's role - and I hope he's here for at least 3 more seasons.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:50
Cause and effect in play too. If you're doing really well, your coaches stay. If you're not, coaches get sacked.

Does being in place a long time breed success? Or does success lead to coaches being in place a long time?

Stuart

Former ed.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 14:16
If you are going to employ overseas coaches they might not hang around for 4 years therefore you need the continuity some crave provided at a higher level elsewhere.

That's where Hooper can step in. I don't know his exact role but easing the team through coaching changes is important and I see him as doing that job for the owner.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 14:47
Quote:
hasta
What can be done about it is... grooming an ex-player to take a long term view. Which is what they're doing. That shouldn't change Blackadder's role - and I hope he's here for at least 3 more seasons.

Itís certainly good to have succession planning but by no means full proof. The recipient can either fail short & need to be replaced or do exceedingly well & get poached for an international role. It does have a value as has been said , though, in bridging a gap before the arrival of a new head coach.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 21:04
Losing boothy would be a nightmare. But then, it is that
bullsh#t bingo time of year when all sorts of rumours will fly. Lots of contacts talks going on and the media goes lala. I've heard that Saracens are tapping one of our very experienced and we'll loved first team players.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 11:00
Quote:
dannyf2
I've heard that Saracens are tapping one of our very experienced and we'll loved first team players.

Who is the player they are supposedly tapping up. Presumably this is Francois given their love of South Africans??? (Sm100)

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 11:47
Quote:
Big Dog
Quote:
dannyf2
I've heard that Saracens are tapping one of our very experienced and well loved first team players.

Who is the player they are supposedly tapping up. Presumably this is Francois given their love of South Africans??? (Sm100)

I heard that it was Allinson.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:07
I don't want to spread it incase it's rubbish.

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:15
Banahans contract is up, negotiations have stalled, and he's an experienced, much loved member of the squad however id be shocked if they wanted him.

Louw has stated pretty much since day one that bath is his club and that he wouldn't want to leave, plus i think we'd love to keep him till he retires. Wont happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net