rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

noidea
noidea (IP Logged)

Rohan Janse van Rensburg
13 November, 2017 12:19
Has signed for Sale apparently; we missed a trick there; I'd hoped he was going to be the big signing rumour that's going around.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Rohan Janse van Rensburg
13 November, 2017 13:16
Good signing from the little that I have seen of him.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:27
Real shame, I agree he'd have fit our need nicely. Am sure Sale were willing to throw more cash at the issue though.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:44
Agree Hasta but our priorities before 12 are tight head first then 1st choice 9 aren't they.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:49
No? We're way lighter at centre than we are anywhere else. RJvR would be an ideal signing for now.

9 is an issue assuming Khan is off (which isn't confirmed at all). A top level 3 would be ideal but I'd put it below centre.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:51
It is for a 3 month deal only I think? So its not about long term priorities.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 13:59
Oh fine then. 3 months is not worth it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 14:34
More details here:

[www.sarugbymag.co.za]

Janse van Rensburg will be joining up with the English club on a three-month deal before returning to the Lions ahead of the 2018 Super Rugby season.

The highly-regarded centre told SARugbymag.co.za on Monday that he felt that the timing was right to make the move as he aims to work towards becoming an even more well-rounded player.

ĎIím really excited. I hadnít really thought about going overseas because Iíd hoped to make the Bok squad [for the end-of-year tour], but when I unfortunately wasnít selected, I started to think about other options. The opportunity to join Sale then came up, and Iím really grateful to the Lions for allowing me to head over for a bit.í

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 17:00
Good signing for Sale on a short term basis although not sure how much difference it will make. Do they have a number of injuries here though or is it just a splash the cash because why not moment from them?

From what I've seen of their games this season they have Sam James, Will Addison, Mark Jennings all at least fit with Leota somewhere in there too (may be injured?). Unless one of them has become injured and I wasn't aware of it then they have more centres fit and able to play than we do currently!!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 17:06
I saw Scott Andrews has been called up to the wales squad as well. First off congrats to him, but the fact no-one really seems to rate him on here might need reconsidering...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 17:24
Quote:
benjbath
I saw Scott Andrews has been called up to the wales squad as well. First off congrats to him, but the fact no-one really seems to rate him on here might need reconsidering...

Not true - since people actually saw him play I haven't seen a bad word about him and lots of positive stuff.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 18:14
I still think we are going for Teo

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 19:26
Based on his track record he is good when he plays...but he hardly ever plays. How many games has he had for Worcester - not many with England and injury combined. As others have said, I would rather we spent the £400k elsewhere. Or maybe £200k on a good centre and the same on a good winger?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 20:00
Quote:
BathMatt53
Based on his track record he is good when he plays...but he hardly ever plays. How many games has he had for Worcester - not many with England and injury combined. As others have said, I would rather we spent the £400k elsewhere. Or maybe £200k on a good centre and the same on a good winger?

£200K, will just about get you a studio flat in Bath...as for a good centre I'm not sure?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 20:31
JJ would be on more but would be interested to know what Taps is being paid.

by
by (IP Logged)

13 November, 2017 21:08
Will Hurrell the Bristol centre has allegedly been signed by Edinburgh for next season. Would have been a good option for us.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 08:50
Quote:
by
Will Hurrell the Bristol centre has allegedly been signed by Edinburgh for next season. Would have been a good option for us.

Agreed and a lot cheaper for him to relocate.

I do think we are not very savvy in the "transfer market" at times.

Do we know who exactly is making the signings/leading the player recruitment? Is it Todd or is it those behind the scenes as we have been left short on the quality we have needed in certain positions each of the last 2 seasons.

I should also clarify - as it will likely be picked up by the less optimistic of us and dragged on and on - that I do not mean to say we are short on quality in our squad. More lacking it in certain positions e.g. centre where we only have 3 senior players, one of whom is only 22 or scrum half where outside of Kahn and Cook we started the season with Allinson as third choice who was seen as surplus to requirements by a Championship team last year...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 11:54
Were into that season now are we?
Every signing made by every other club will just demonstrate how bad we are at recruitment.
Any signing we do make (who isn't a superstar) will be met with "welcome but..." Showing how unimaginative we are when it come to signings

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 11:57
It's even more ridiculous given this is a 3 month signing only.

noidea
noidea (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 14:17
Quote:
hasta
No? We're way lighter at centre than we are anywhere else. RJvR would be an ideal signing for now.
9 is an issue assuming Khan is off (which isn't confirmed at all). A top level 3 would be ideal but I'd put it below centre.

Wilco Louw would be a good shout

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 November, 2017 22:01
We seem to be shopping in the bargain basement by recruiting either academy players or ones with something to prove. It sometimes works but I agree we look short of good options in certain positions.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 09:20
We've recruited players for the long term. Yes it was a shame to lose Fruean (although he has started 2, subbed 2 games and scored one try for Edinburgh so I'm not sure how fit he can stay). I would love RJvR as a long term signing. But this is a short term one over Christmas and he'll head back to SAfrica even before the 6N.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 10:37
Quote:
Which Tyler
Were into that season now are we?
Every signing made by every other club will just demonstrate how bad we are at recruitment.
Any signing we do make (who isn't a superstar) will be met with "welcome but..." Showing how unimaginative we are when it come to signings

My comment was more I wish we had recruited better ahead of the season!

I agree with other comments it is pointless bringing in someone for 3 months!!

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 11:20
We donít seem to have room in the salary cap to recruit the big name/cost centre some crave. Until the current squads current contracts come to an end and can be renegotiated squad size/depth will remain similar. These things take several years to change if the strategy for recruitment and squad make up changes when the DoR/Head Coach changes.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 12:52
Problem is no-one knows the figures for the 'Cap' to comment about signings or work out what we can afford!

Really would be nice to have transparency in that area.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 13:31
But we do know that cap.
We also know that it's not going up for next year and that we are more-or-less up to the cap this season.
Which means that for every player comingi
in, we need to lose a player on a similar wage.
For every increased renewal, we need a corresponding reduction for someone else's renewal.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 03:21
I agree we have some star names who cost a lot but havenít Sarries & Wasps got a few more?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 06:40
Quote:
Bath Hammer
I agree we have some star names who cost a lot but havenít Sarries & Wasps got a few more?

Not really the same though - Very few of Sarries star names are bought in which is what that whole thing was about recently, now these exciting prospects are world class players who will demand world class salaries. I would have to assume that Liam Williams is one of the marquees? If they all had to re-sign today you can guarantee they would be over which is why McCall was saying that they need to lose some.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 10:21
From what has been talked about in interviews by various rugby clubs management, salaries have increased massively over the last few years as the cap has increased. Not just for superstars, but for standard squad players. There is talk of average premiership props being on over £300k for instance, that will burn though the cap pretty quickly!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 10:39
Out of interest, what would stop a club from paying a marquee player say £10m / £20m (outside the cap) and then the marquee player paying all of the other players a relative proportion of their salary? Wouldn't the club wage bill (under the cap) be zero? Ignore the tax implications for the individuals involved just for this theoretical scenario.

(and yes, I'm bored at work)

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 10:49
I tihnk it would be covered under this:

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

"When looking at a Player for Salary Cap purposes we include a broad web of connections such as family members (e.g. spouse child, parents), the Playerís Agent, any company, trust or organisation, and so on.
Read more at [www.premiershiprugby.com]"

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 12:08
Ah, good answer DW.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net