Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Beergoggles (IP Logged)

RWC 2023
15 November, 2017 14:32
Announced as France despite the review's panel recommendation for it to go to South Africa and the fact that Ireland have never hosted the tournament.

Be interesting to hear the rationale behind choosing France again ....

ballsout (IP Logged)

Re: RWC 2023
15 November, 2017 14:47
You won't hear about the rationale, no one has any need to speak out.

Money and politics.

All three bids were viable. From an England POV, if the last decade is any indication, France will likely be just as useless as 2023, if not more so, on their home patch. Better there than SA.

hasta (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 15:12
Some of the assessment was definitely nonsense though. SA got the same rating on crime and safety as France.

Ireland would have been great, but they really struggle with stadia. The decision to stick with Lansdowne Road for redevelopment and be limited to 51.7k capacity seems very poor in retrospect.

Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 16:33
Well that's a surprise and brings back memories of 2007 when I travelled for the Eng v USA pool match, Ollie Barclays last game for England IIRC. On match day the trains went on strike and there was a mad scramble for taxis to get to the game. The beer served at the stadium seemed to be alchohol free. Not a great experience and I won't be going back in 2023. Ireland would have been my choice...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan []

Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 17:13
I would have to say this is a real shame. France hosted one so recently and after they had started a nice trend of trying to move outside of the elite rugby nations (in terms of facilities) in NZ, Aus, France and England by giving 2019 to Japan I was really hoping that they would go with Ireland.

For me there are some fantastic stadiums there where the atmosphere can be exceptional like Thomond Park, Kingspan stadium and RDS Arena, not to mention that the Aviva Stadium is always immaculate and would be a great place for a World cup final even if the capacity is not 80,000. Eden park is only 50,000 after all and hosted the 2011 final if I recall.

Plus the Irish (North and Republic of) are such a friendly, accomodating people who love their sports that there would have been a tremendous atmosphere at all the games. Really missed a trick I think tbh.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

Beergoggles (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 20:42
Massively underwhelmed with it going back to France again. Rugby isn't a truly global game and has only 10 reasonably competitive teams. If the powers that be are saying that only 6 of those 10 (Eng, Fra, Italy, Aus, NZ, SA) plus 1 or 2 commercial jokers (Japan, USA) are viable hosts then we have a very dull future.

Substitute (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 20:48
That was Ireland's last chance to host the world cup...

Shame. World Rugby indulged New Zealand and if you exclude 'small' nations now for not enough capacity, then they are excluded forever.

Not to mention they ignored the council's own recommendation...

Smells like football.

OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 21:11
I like going to France so it's a good decision for me.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

15 November, 2017 22:55
Presumably they could have made it all Ireland (or did they) bummer agreed.
However France was a laugh last time, watching The Oz scrum disintegrate in Marseille followed by extreme jolliness.
Ignoring the Politics - could be worse guys. USA, pass me the sick bag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing