rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

Tom Croft
16 November, 2017 13:48
Sad to see him retire through injury but inevitable I guess after his recent years of struggling to get fit. In his day he was a class act who could mix it with the best in the world. I remember his try at the Rec a few years back showing a huge amount of pace for a backrow forward.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Tom Croft
16 November, 2017 13:52
He was awesome when fit - big and fast with great hands. All the best to him for the future.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 14:29
Always sad when a sportsman has to retire due to injury, wish him all the best for the future.

Sadly I fear a couple of current Bath players could suffer the same fate.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

tigerburnie
tigerburnie (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 15:59
[www.youtube.com]
We have been missing him for some time, especially in the lineout.

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 20:41
I wonder whether we properly understand what some players go through later in life for the sake of their career and our enjoyment. I live reasonably near a former player and see him around from time to time - as far as I'm aware his retirement wasn't on injury grounds but to see someone my own age hobbling around like an old man is sobering.

Sad as it undoubtedly is to see a player of Tom Croft's calibre have to retire, I hope he's made a timely decision that allows him to live a decent rest of his life without pain and discomfort.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 22:19
When at the peak of his very considerable powers, Tom Croft was World class and was a very formidable opponent. I remember him causing us all sorts of problems, particularly in pinching our lineout ball.

I am sad to see his retirement due to injury but sincerely hope he is able to enjoy his retirement and find suitable employment in the future. Best of luck Tom.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 22:32
Don't remember the match but he scored a try in open play and looked for all the world like a top class centre with the break and his pace.

Agree with the lineout comment, in fact there aren't many back row lineout experts around nowadays. Unless Itoje plays there of course!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 23:06
He ran around a very young Ollie Devoto who was playing full back (for the last time?) I seem to remember.

burtontiger
Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2017 23:40
Thanks, and respect, for your appreciation for one of our finest.

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 10:18
Real shame. Had a torrid time with injuries but what a player. Highlights reel:

[www.youtube.com]

Could've just as easily played on the wing!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 10:56
Quote:
Tigersfan1
Thanks, and respect, for your appreciation for one of our finest.

He was an England and lions player, so he belonged to all of us! (Sm151)

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 11:00
Great player when fit and on form.
i loved how he 'announced himself to the world' running round the outside of a NZ Maori winger from 60m out to score at Twickenham.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 11:49
A world class player in his day - actually, our only world class player back then.
Sadly though his international coaches never worked out how to get the best out of him, and injury really hampered his career, let alone ending it.

One of the very best, and I wish him well for his future.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:07
Quote:
Which Tyler
A world class player in his day - actually, our only world class player back then.
Sadly though his international coaches never worked out how to get the best out of him, and injury really hampered his career, let alone ending it.

One of the very best, and I wish him well for his future.

I think that the following of our 2007 world cup squad would probably been in the mix for a world 15?

Lawrence Dallaglio
Andrew Sheridan
Jonny Wilkinson
Jason Robinson
Lewis Moody

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 14:05
As of 2007? I'm not convinced TBH
Lol was fading quite badly at international level at that time IMO
Sheridan - yes, he'd have been in contention, though from my minimal knowledge of front row play, always seemed to be an individual, rather than necessarily part of a front-row union.
Jonny... had basically spent the previous 4 years on the physio's table. He is a rugby god to me; but in 2007 would I have had him ahead of Carter &/ Larkham? that would have been a very brave call. Talent and bias would have had him in the conversation; but he didn't have any form.
Robinson - like Lol, he was fading fast in 2007
Maddog - Let's be honest; he never reached world class status

Of course, as of 2007, then Croft wasn't world class either - he hadn't even made his England debut at that stage - he's very much of the 2011 RWC era; spanning about 3 years either side of that; so Lancaster and Johnson - NOT Robinson and Ashton.
Of your list of 5, I don't think Croft ever played alongside Lol or Robinson

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net