rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

Teams Up....
17 November, 2017 12:10
Bath Rugby team to face London Irish (Sunday 19th November)

15. Tom Homer

14. Jack Wilson

13. James Wilson

12. Matt Banahan

11. Aled Brew

10. Freddie Burns

9. Kahn Fotualiíi

1. Beno Obano

2. Tom Dunn

3. Anthony Perenise

4. Luke Charteris

5. Elliott Stooke

6. Matt Garvey (c)

7. Zach Mercer

8. Paul Grant

Replacements

16. Michael van Vuuren

17. Nick Auterac

18. Max Lahiff

19. Levi Douglas

20. Josh Bayliss

21. Darren Allinson

22. Josh Lewis

23. Darren Atkins

Yet to see the LI side. Any idea where Tapuai is??

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Teams Up....
17 November, 2017 12:11
That's not the worst team for an AV game, let alone the AWC. Injury situation is definitely very much on the mend.

I wonder what Samoa think of Kahn playing, when he was injured out of their squad?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:14
It's not an AWC game, opti...

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:15
Good team, considering. I presume Clark and Tapuai must be crocked?

A lot rests on Freddie and Kahn to get us around the field, but the pack looks strong and we should have plenty of momentum and go forward in the backs.

I'd take any sort of win. This feels like a real banana skin to me!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:18
Not keen on the makeshift centre combo but needs must I guess. Fingers crossed.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:27
London Irish: 15 James Marshall, 14 Joe Cokanasiga, 13 Fergus Mulchrone, 12 Luke McLean, 11 Alex Lewington, 10 Tommy Bell, 9 Ben Meehan, 1 Ben Franks, 2 David Paice (c), 3 Petrus Du Plessis, 4 Franco van der Merwe, 5 Teofilo Paulo, 6 Max Northcote-Green, 7 Conor Gilsenan, 8 Blair Cowan

Replacements: 16 Dave Porecki, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Sebastian De Chaves, 20 Mike Coman, 21 Scott Steele, 22 Greig Tonks, 23 Tom Fowlie

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:27
Was hoping to see Taps and Clarke in there and Walker and Cook on the bench.

Going to be a bit BoB-like on this: I expect the usual toothless attack and us to lose the battle of the gain line. Zach might make a break or too, but will he remember to pass it?

If we win, it will be through a dominant scrum and Freddie's boot.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:35
Quote:
jayeatman

Going to be a bit BoB-like on this: I expect the usual toothless attack and us to lose the battle of the gain line. Zach might make a break or too, but will he remember to pass it?

Yep, they'll outscore us on try count, possession, territory, the usual stuff.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:37
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
jayeatman

Won't matter as long as we outscore them on points. An ugly win is still a win and always will be. Even if you keep winning ugly you must be doing something right.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:43
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
jayeatman

Won't matter as long as we outscore them on points. An ugly win is still a win and always will be. Even if you keep winning ugly you must be doing something right.

An ugly win against the likes of Treviso, the Tigers kids, relegation favourites etc etc isn't something to shout about or in any way encouraging.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:49
more encouraging than a defeat!

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:51
A bit light on centre options this week (figuratively speaking!) but otherwise good to see a few of the boys coming back in.

For a struggling team, their front row is none too shabby.

Bath by 2.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 12:52
Quote:
hemington

Exactly! Which is more encouraging: an ugly win against a side we should beat easily or a defeat to a team we should have beat easily?

I understand we want to see the team improving but the constant negativity about this season is pretty grating. The season is going well!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:01
An 'ugly' away win would definitely be a step on from last year.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:09
Quote:
hemington

You're right. Losing to Newcastle and Gloucester at the Rec and scraping past Treviso, the Tigers kids and Irish away by the skin of our teeth is more encouraging to losing against them. Woohoo great season.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:40
I need to get to speed on Jack & Jeff Wilson. Confusing (Sm56)

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:50
Quote:
Bath Hammer
I need to get to speed on Jack & Jeff Wilson. Confusing (Sm56)

It's simple really! I Wilson is a tall utility back from New Zealand who he played a lot of his rugby in England where as J Wilson is a very tall utility back from New Zealand who has played oh wait yeah I see your point..

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:50
Bath are so inconsistent it's difficult to predict what's going to happen. I'll just go and support with hope rather than expectation.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:52
From memory this back line looks to me like a collection of players who may have played for us before, but not necessarily at the same time together.

A bit like Eric Morecambe playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order (apologies to younger browsers).

Hope training has been good. Usually in these situations we tend to fall back on safe play and look a bit stodgy.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 13:55
Quote:
BathBurger
I understand we want to see the team improving but the constant negativity about this season is pretty grating. The season is going well!

+1 This is a much stronger team than we put out against them in the Anglo Welsh and they had a team not dissimilar to their starting XV this weekend and we won that match away.

This is still a strong side given 7 of our starting players are away with an 8th player (Ewels) retained plus the injuries!

Cut the negativity please guys - this should be a site where we support, not a site where we berate our side. Let the guys at least play the match before picking apart their performance and slagging them off please!!

Bath to win by 15 IMO this weekend!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 14:12
The problem is out of the international period this is a fixture where we should score 4 tries.

I think we will do enough to win, but in the long run the BPs will be important.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 14:15
I might go - never been to the Madejski, what's the deal with parking?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 14:16
Quote:
hasta

Must keep up! So ... that would be a half-decent side if only this were an AWC game.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 14:18
Quote:
OutsideBath
Bath are so inconsistent it's difficult to predict what's going to happen. I'll just go and support with hope rather than expectation.
I must admit "Difficult to predic" was not the phrase that sprung to mind when I ran my eye over our backs selection.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 15:02
Havenít been there for a few yrs but there were some industrial estates opposite with no double yellows and a 10 minute walk to the stadium

Bath Supporter Jack

17 November, 2017 15:12
Big car park which takes ages to get out of

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 15:26
Quote:
B4thB4ck
From memory this back line looks to me like a collection of players who may have played for us before, but not necessarily at the same time together.
A bit like Eric Morecambe playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order (apologies to younger browsers).

Hope training has been good. Usually in these situations we tend to fall back on safe play and look a bit stodgy.

Don't worry. Younger browsers will have far better things to do on a friday evening than come on a boring rugby forum with a load of old moaning codgers...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 16:36
The Irish pack are none too shabby, not just their front row. Bought my tickets today, their man said about 7,000 tickets have been sold for this fixture so those thinking of coming will be v welcome. I always go to the Madstad game, best was a couple of years ago on Paddy's weekend and there were 20,000+ there. It won't be the same atmosphere on Sunday but I'm still looking forward to a good contest and a Bath win - 10pt spread I reckon...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 16:52
Talking of front rows, and I know it's been discussed elsewhere, and I know it's off topic, but Darryl Marfo is starting against New Zealand for Scotland tomorrow. Did we miss something there, or are Scotland desperately short of props?

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 17:05
Quote:
Optimist
Talking of front rows, and I know it's been discussed elsewhere, and I know it's off topic, but Darryl Marfo is starting against New Zealand for Scotland tomorrow. Did we miss something there, or are Scotland desperately short of props?

If we did, so did Quins. (Welsh also let him go but I think that was because they had no money). And we can always try to rectify matters; his contract at Edinburgh only runs till May, though may well be extended.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 18:01
I always park on Whitley Wood Lane. Brisk 10-15 mins walk to the ground. The business park is a bit touchier about match day parking these days. Never understand why those who are fortunate enough to be able to walk that far would spend time waiting to get out of a car park they have paid to get into on the basis of it's 'convenience'.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 18:07
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
hasta

Must keep up! So ... that would be a half-decent side if only this were an AWC game.

I must confess, I thought someone had ressurected the thread of a few weeks ago...

Oh well, I hope they can do a job. Our squad depth does seem a little thin...

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 19:40
Good luck James Wilson.
As ever, we go to win

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 19:51
James Wilson played 13 in the AW game at the Madstad and had a solid game.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 19:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2017 08:49 by Trawling.

LIrishxv
LIrishxv (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 22:15
Quote:
woodpecker

Expecting a big (by London Irish standards) crowd... get your parking ticket before the game, saves the hassle. And sit in the West stand if you want a quick escape. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes to get out of Reading

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 22:39
Where are Tapuai and Clark when we need them? Irish have a very experienced, tough front row and real pace on the wings. Our front 5 have got to be on their mettle and try and stem the flow of any Irish possession.

We need to get quick clean ball to give Freddie a chance and that is where our lineout has to be absolutely water tight, unlike recent games!

Our team should have the talent and ability to win and if we have any pretension of a top 4 slot, we have to win this game. It is going to be very difficult, especially with a weak referee. Other sides are beginning to get into their stride and we have to do the same to keep up with the likes of Gloucester who have tonight beaten a very good Sarries team, by coming from 20 points behind. Also Castle Grim is achieving fortress status as Glaws have not lost at home in the league this season, unlike us. Just shows how important home games are and our last two home losses could come back to bite unless the points are made up on the road.

C'mon Bath, now is the time to stand up and be counted, and show our worth.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2017 22:54
Thanks for the spoiler BoB...

...since he has given away the Glos v Sarries result I think that it emphasises the fact that Bath most certainly arenít the only team who can surrender a lead and lose the game. Sarries did it having a massive possession and territory advantage in the first half.

The cat really is amongst the pigeons this season....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2017 23:16 by BathMatt53.

Finno
Finno (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 08:47
Quote:
woodpecker

£10 at the stadium,with lots of space. You can also park in the industrial estate nearby, for a pound or two less.(about a 10 min walk)

[www.london-irish.com]

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:03
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Our team should have the talent and ability to win and if we have any pretension of a top 4 slot, we have to win this game. It is going to be very difficult, especially with a weak referee. Other sides are beginning to get into their stride and we have to do the same to keep up with the likes of Gloucester who have tonight beaten a very good Sarries team, by coming from 20 points behind. Also Castle Grim is achieving fortress status as Glaws have not lost at home in the league this season, unlike us. Just shows how important home games are and our last two home losses could come back to bite unless the points are made up on the road.
I can't believe you said that BoB.
For one, Sarries would never lose to Glos
Whilst secondly, Sarries would never surrender a lead like that.
Both of those things are what sets Sarries apart from Bath, and are thus literally impossible

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:39
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Our team should have the talent and ability to win and if we have any pretension of a top 4 slot, we have to win this game. It is going to be very difficult, especially with a weak referee.

Surely if the Ref is 'weak' he's as weak with them as he is with us????

You can't be suggesting he's biased?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:50
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Our team should have the talent and ability to win and if we have any pretension of a top 4 slot, we have to win this game. It is going to be very difficult, especially with a weak referee.

Surely if the Ref is 'weak' he's as weak with them as he is with us????

You can't be suggesting he's biased?

If he is then BOB should get a 6 week ban like Steve Diamond.

I think that itís a bit early to say whether a win will or will not break our season, but with 3rd to 9th separated by 2 points it would definitely be welcome.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 22:25
If BoB got banned you'd have to buy us a ball to kick!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 23:58
I am not suggesting the ref is biased but having seen him three times this season already, he is not the best and lets lots of things go. Some might argue that is to our advantage but as Irish are under the cosh in respect of their league position, they may well try all sorts of things to stop us playing. We never appear to be the most 'street wise' and this could cost us dear. Hope Garvey sent the ref a birthday card or bought him a drink recently.

Any predictions on the score boys-and girls?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 09:02
So now you're suggesting Irish will deliberately break the law?

Won't the two touch judges (assistant refs) and the TMO spot this?

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 11:15
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Bath by two scores, 10-15pts, is my guess but then my recent predictions haven't been reflected in the final score. Isn't sports competition just great?

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 11:28
Bath by 1. Close, scrappy, tense and frustrating. So in otherwords, normal service.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 11:53
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Bath by two scores, 10-15pts, is my guess but then my recent predictions haven't been reflected in the final score. Isn't sports competition just great?

Would rather it was a one sided game in Bath's favour every week than great competition.

Given their need to win and the amount of players we have missing reckon Irish by 3.

MESSAGES->author
BaltiBoy (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 13:24
Quote:
Barfboy
For a struggling team, their front row is none too shabby.

Unfortunately for us Franks and PDP are props in the traditional mould. Will hold their own in the scrum but do not carry, are slow to the breakdown and just lumber around the pitch.

Many would like to see our younger props Hoskins and Elrington start.

Paice is excellent with the arrows but not big enough to be an effective ball barrier.

Cheers & Beers
BB

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 13:55
Quote:
BathPatriot
Bath by 1. Close, scrappy, tense and frustrating. So in otherwords, normal service.

If we win every remaining game of the season by 1 than I will be extremely happy, especially as we will be league and champions cup winners.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 14:33
Bath by 5 , but I remember a few seasons ago Irish had lost heavily for the first 5 games of the season until they hosted Bath and the result for Bath was grim (Sm136)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 15:10
L Irish 8 Bath 16 - Freddy Burns bossing it!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 15:50
Burns penalty from a crazy angle, 11 v 19 at start of 2nd half.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 15:51
That was a lovely kick

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:09
Error count from Bath is horrible

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

DaveOfTrow
GrumpyDave (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:10
11 22. Ten to go

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:13
Frustrating game as you feel Bath could cut loose with just a tiny bit more composure...

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:17
....Irish score with 5 minutes to go. 18 22

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:18
18 v 22

2:40 to go

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:19
Oh...ooh.. 18 v 22 Jelly wobbles time !

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:19
And UET AGAIN a moronic penalty st kick off gives them another chance....

Mike the Taxi

19 November, 2017 16:20
Bath scrum on own 5 metre

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:21
Ban sham may have saved our skin by holding the player up in the tackle

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:23
Here we go again...

Mike the Taxi

19 November, 2017 16:27
Penalty to Bath!!! No fingernails left!

18 v 22

FT

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

Well held out at the end... great determination.

Shame we got to that position.

DaveOfTrow
GrumpyDave (IP Logged)

We win 22 16

Mike the Taxi

19 November, 2017 16:28
13 phases on Bath 5 metre

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:28
Awesome defence but bluntly should not have had to rely on it...very very poor but it's a W in a tricky period of the season

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:30
18 v 22 Actually but makes no difference really, so had being a Bath supporter!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:31
Should put us in 4th again, with Gloucester behind us.
So 2/4 at home, 3/4 away.....

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:32
187 tackles - and so many of them resulting from scrambling after turning over the ball cheaply

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:35
We win. Down to the last few seconds again!!! Quins next.

MESSAGES->author

19 November, 2017 16:37
Quinn's gave Exeter a scare so won't be easy....regardless of what's said we are patently missing TM and need an attack coach.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 16:40
Listening on rad, OMG is Sheridan the worst commentator on planet (can he be worse than Butler)? Keeps saying 'what do you think of that Tom(?)' but then carries on rambling high volume drone without actually describing game.
Well done Bath.

SQUAWK

Mike the Taxi

19 November, 2017 17:15
[www.espn.co.uk] Match Stats

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 17:19
Definitely a pattern emerging - in the lead then a series of brain farts in the last 3 or 4 minutes and then itís all a matter of our defense being good enough to hold them out - this time they were. Itís a W, though and an important one.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 17:20
Awful, dunno why I bothered going.

I wondered beforehand whether we might finally get another try bonus point today. Nowhere near. Barely touched the ball in the second half.

If Irish had shipped the ball out in those last few minutes instead of keeping it tight they could have walked in.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 17:23
"can he be worse than Butler"

No. I mean I've no strong feeling on Sheridan, but butler literally is the nadir.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 17:43
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats?gameId=291601&league=267979 Match Stats

38% possession against a club in 12th place, top stuff

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:05
Positive - We won
Negative- Everything else

When will we learn to keep hold of the ball and be stronger mentally. We seem to be regressing as a team.

With the way they played at Exeter and our poor home form Quinn's have to be favourites on Saturday.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:17
I didn't see the game but if someone can show me when this back line ever played together before then I will criticise a poor performance.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:20
Just got back from a freezing cold rattly Madstad (what a terrible idea it is to play inside a 25k stadium when you only get 8k turning up).

Bath bossed the game, looked much the better side, and should have put the game away way before the end. The possession stats mean very little as Irish did not a lot with their 60% of the ball until the last 10 mins. Thought the two Wilsons and the young replacement full back very solid and Beno absolutely awesome (Perinise and Garvey not far behind).

Given the large numbers we had out and a resolute Irish this was a very good well earned win. However with a bit more composure and a little more incisiveness (maybe a fit Taps for one of the Wilsons) it could have been a lot more comfortable. Well played Bath, onwards and upwards.

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:22
I am happy that we won but it would be nice not to have to rely on laat ditch defence at the end of the game.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 18:59
Quote:
Beergoggles
Just got back from a freezing cold rattly Madstad (what a terrible idea it is to play inside a 25k stadium when you only get 8k turning up).
Bath bossed the game, looked much the better side, and should have put the game away way before the end. The possession stats mean very little as Irish did not a lot with their 60% of the ball until the last 10 mins. Thought the two Wilsons and the young replacement full back very solid and Beno absolutely awesome (Perinise and Garvey not far behind).

Given the large numbers we had out and a resolute Irish this was a very good well earned win. However with a bit more composure and a little more incisiveness (maybe a fit Taps for one of the Wilsons) it could have been a lot more comfortable. Well played Bath, onwards and upwards.

I totally agree with you! Thought Darren Atkins was very good when he came on.
I also have to say the possession stats donít reflect the game - most Of LI possession was around the half way line!

MESSAGES->author
Garbageman (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 19:12
Quote:
Beergoggles

Given the large numbers we had out and a resolute Irish this was a very good well earned win..

Good to read some actual analysis of the game from someone there. Good win away from a scratch team. Some comments on here better suited to the LI forum or really anywhere else?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 19:19
I can't quite believe what I'm reading. In no way, shape or form was this a "very good win". It was a good result and an awful performance. Blackadder said as much in his post match interview.

We barely touched the ball in the second half, were predictably out-scored on the try count by the basement club, had zero shape in attack and were a couple of inches from losing the match 3 tries to 1.

Fed up with us stumbling through game after game with zero cohesion or semblance of a plan. Can anyone remember the last really memorable impressive 80 minute performance under the current regime? I'm struggling.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 19:24
We have always struggled through the international season so good to be picking up points especially away from home... Well done Bath

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 19:31
Totally agree with the view that it was a very valuable win. Away from home with a team containing a few as a result of absentees. Very happy to take the points and run.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2017 19:32 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 20:02
I know Ballsout is very negative and I take the point that a win is a win but Bath were total rubbish in that second half.

Parked in the on site car park got out in 2 mins.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 20:07
It was a poor performance again, but I guess at the end of the day the points will be useful in the club's aspirations for a top 6 finish so all at the club will no doubt be satisfied.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 20:18
Quote:
OutsideBath
It was a poor performance again, but I guess at the end of the day the points will be useful in the club's aspirations for a top 6 finish so all at the club will no doubt be satisfied.

Satisfied with the points OB, but no different from those on this site that he isn't content with the overall performance.

Bath director of rugby Blackadder had mixed feelings afterwards, saying: "I am really pleased with the outcome. The win was what we are looking for and these games have often been banana skins for us in the past.

"I am really proud of the courageous defence at the end but I am really disappointed we put ourselves in that position. We shouldn't have done that. It is just simple basics."

Blackadder said Bath did not stick to the game plan, adding: "It is frustrating when you go off script. When you get stripped carrying the ball five times in 10 minutes at a crucial time of the game, frustration sends you sky-rocketing through the roof.

"At the moment, these games are about doing the basics well home and away. In the first half, we probably kicked a couple of possessions away and didn't build pressure. We talked about doing that in the second half."

DaveOfTrow
GrumpyDave (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 20:38
Twas an OK Win.

Madstad cold and concrete, but at least we had a roof and I didnt have to listen to Neil Diamond.

A few bullets...

- Freddie B easily the best player on the park and acknowledged as such by the Irish fans around me.

- Tom Homer - off with injured shoulder early on

- Irish fans are my new number 1 for the league's most one-eyed fans (but in every other respect a pretty good bunch)

- Line speed in defence was pretty good and mostly suffocated the Irish attack, mostly.

- Try saving tackle by Kahn at the end of the first half was awesome. Garvey had half stopped Lewington (?), but he got free and looked certain to score. Not only did Kahn bundle him into touch but wrapped him up at the same time to stop him placing the ball over the line

- Joe Cokanasiga for Irish was an absolute handful

- Our close skills in attack need work. Plenty of half breaks and good opportunities, only to be let down by clumsy handling. Our offloading game in particluar needs some serious work.

All in all much closer than it should have been and, alas, in my mind puts Irish as favourites for the drop this season.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 21:56
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats?gameId=291601&league=267979 Match Stats

38% possession against a club in 12th place, top stuff

The live stats on the betting feed said 50% possession.

Stuart

Former ed.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 22:15
Quote:
woodpecker
I know Ballsout is very negative and I take the point that a win is a win but Bath were total rubbish in that second half.

Let's be fair, rubbish performances most weeks. Thankfully more wins than losses.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 22:41
I thought we showed more cohesion and intent with our scratch side than I've seen recently, probably because Freddie was pulling the strings instead of RP. What let us down (again) was the lack of accuracy and the fact that it feels like each player in the 23 has at least one mistake in them each game; knock on, stripped of the ball, daft penalty. Even the excellent Garvey stepped in front of Banners to knock on from a restart and give LI some impetus for their final wave of Attacks.

MOM for me was Beno, he Is already one hell of a player and so much potential ... I hope we've signed him up to a long contract.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 01:01
Quote:
Beergoggles
I thought we showed more cohesion and intent with our scratch side than I've seen recently, probably because Freddie was pulling the strings instead of RP. What let us down (again) was the lack of accuracy and the fact that it feels like each player in the 23 has at least one mistake in them each game; knock on, stripped of the ball, daft penalty. Even the excellent Garvey stepped in front of Banners to knock on from a restart and give LI some impetus for their final wave of Attacks.

Itís true that the back line was disrupted, although all were experienced players, but the rest of the team was not lacking much quality. One try to three against the bottom team highlights our problems in attack. We will have to play appreciably better to beat Quins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/11/2017 01:06 by Bath Hammer.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 03:48
Will be very happy to see Tapuai back.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 07:02
Quote:
Bath Hammer

Itís true that the back line was disrupted, although all were experienced players, but the rest of the team was not lacking much quality. One try to three against the bottom team highlights our problems in attack. We will have to play appreciably better to beat Quins.

Think you'll find they didn't get a third try which is why we won. Agreed we have too many changes in our backs but hey it's the autumn international time I'll take any sort of win.

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 09:37
Yet another sratchy win for Bath mitigated by getting tickets for ELO and Peter Kay.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net