rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

Re: v Quins
25 November, 2017 19:26
[sport.bt.com]

How quick is Lahiff chasing back? Surprising pace.

Adopted Player 18-19: Anthony Perenise
Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 November, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Beergoggles
Seemed very flat at the Rec today despite the BP win. Not sure the Bath performance was any better than against LI which probably speaks for Quins performanceu. The kick for goal with 1 min on the clock when 21 points up in front of a full house speaks for our decision making.Good win Bath, Ho hum

Wasn't flat where I was, the terraces were rocking (apart from the last 10 mins of the 1st half obvs).

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

25 November, 2017 19:40
I was in the terraces. Most around me were accepting of an average Bath being better than a poor Quins. Hardly rockin except for those that down 6 queue busters a game and to be honest they'd be as happy watching Strictly Come Dancin after the third.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 November, 2017 19:52
Quote:
Beergoggles
I was in the terraces. Most around me were accepting of an average Bath being better than a poor Quins. Hardly rockin except for those that down 6 queue busters a game and to be honest they'd be as happy watching Strictly Come Dancin after the third.

Oops...Iíve been called out.

I thought that we were awesome first 25 mins, almost as good as against Newcastle in the middle 40. Quins offered nothing, similar to Newcastle last night.

(The quins fans that I met were charming as well, a real credit to their club).

And it was sunny.

Tainer
Tainer (IP Logged)

25 November, 2017 19:55
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Big Dog
I really don't think we need to worry. Quins starting pack on Saturday was as follows and when compared to our starting lineup I'd say the below is fair;
1. Lambert - Obano/Auterac is better
2. Ward - Possibly equal to Dunn
3. Collier - Very good young player but Perenise more experienced
4. Matthews - Stooke is better imo
5. Horwill - Charteris a match for Horwill
6. J Chisholm - Garvey more experienced Premiership operator and better as it stands
7. Ben Glynn - Zach Mercer superior presence in all facets
8. Luamanu - Perhaps the only one where I may take the Quins fella over Grant at a push. Mind you Luamanu does not look great past 55/60 mins

On that basis and given the considerably stronger forwards on the bench we have there should be no issue here.
Our backs as well have a far more experienced edge to them and if nothing else will trouble their midfield channel where they are looking quite weak with the injuries and absences they have! If we get Priestland, Taps and Clark back then we potentially will be much stronger than them - albeit they may get back Roberts I guess.

I really have no fear about this Saturday though you guys, wish a few more people saw that we should be fine!

Pretty disrespectful and also ignores our poor form the last couple of months. It's also the type of comment that comes back haunt you afterwards. Hopefully not...

Big Dog with the big call. How right you were sir [:wor kid:](Sm60)

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

25 November, 2017 19:55
I thought Quins were supposed to cause us all sorts of problems and we beat them by 20+ points and a bonus point? I thought it was excellent. Considering who weíre missing, we should all be delighted.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

25 November, 2017 20:08
Quote:
dr.bath1865
I thought Quins were supposed to cause us all sorts of problems and we beat them by 20+ points and a bonus point? I thought it was excellent. Considering who weíre missing, we should all be delighted.
Delighted? Have you visited this board before? ;-)

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 04:43
Just watched the game. A magic 20 minutes and then back to our usual selves. Nice to have the BP but we have to be able to keep it going longer than that. Kahn brilliant, Freddie very good indeed and Lahiff astonishingly quick.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 07:51
Could he be the answer to our problems at centre?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 07:56
Mercer seems to play a good portion of his game taking the ball at centre to considerable effect. Most pleasing part of this season for me is how he and Beno have kicked on.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 08:18
Quote:
Beergoggles
Mercer seems to play a good portion of his game taking the ball at centre to considerable effect. Most pleasing part of this season for me is how he and Beno have kicked on.

+1

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 11:09
Much better start - Quins soon looked at a loss as to how to proceed!!
However, although of course pleased with a v good win, still need to concentrate on cutting out the penalties - (sure Mr B feels that is pointing out the bally obvious) as free gifts are not obligatory at this level!!!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 12:43
Our defence did us very well too, kept Quins either flat or going backwards. Maybe losing Marcus Smith early on didnít help them, but I was impressed at how well we shackled them. Sustaining that attack for 80 will be wonderful, but probably unrealistic.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 13:15
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned are injuries - either against Quins or internationals. I didn't notice anyone suffering anything too bad yesterday - did I miss anything or did lady luck smile on us and we got through the game(s) with Bath players OK?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 13:21
Quote:
Rawce
Our defence did us very well too, kept Quins either flat or going backwards. Maybe losing Marcus Smith early on didnít help them, but I was impressed at how well we shackled them. Sustaining that attack for 80 will be wonderful, but probably unrealistic.

Agree that an 80min performance at the level shown in the first 20 is unrealistic, however I think we should aspire to keeping it going for longer than just 20.

Saying that I did like the way we basically shut the game down in the 2nd half and took the penalties when given. Wasn't pretty , but no need for us to push it once the TBP was secured.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 13:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned are injuries - either against Quins or internationals. I didn't notice anyone suffering anything too bad yesterday - did I miss anything or did lady luck smile on us and we got through the game(s) with Bath players OK?

I thought that Perenise was limping when he went off but not too sure about this.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 14:21
I was hoping for "dash, splash and panache" and we got that.

OK -for 20 minutes only-but enough for the BP win and 3rd in the table-I think we should be happy with that, while hoping for more in future.

The failure to score second half tries was mostly down to clumsy handling at the final pass and the defence had Quins back-pedalling for much of the match.

This may prove to be a season defining match.

PG

Susanne
Susanne (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 15:06
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Maxwell Keys really hasn't gripped the scrum today

Beautiful piece of understatement!

We got 5 points, which was great and I'm sure it sounds churlish to admit it, but I was actually rather bored for the second half! Was it a deliberate ploy - taking the foot off the gas and just defending the lead, saving the bodies for Exeter? I suppose Quins never really looked threatening so we didn't have to got up a gear at any stage.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 15:39
True OB, Iíd take much more attacking dominance and less on lockdown defence any day of the week. The consistency is a big thing to work on as Jekyll and Hyde has seen us too close or lose it at the death too often this season. Still, even if it left the second half a bit flat, it was a pleasure to see us scoring tries for fun for 20mins.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 15:56
More than happy to smash them in first 20 and then contain for the rest of it means BP wins every week. Was nice not to have heart palpitations for at least one week whilst watching Bath Rugby.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 16:44
Perhaps the chance to play a 'flat' 2nd half and the impression given of not suffering any big knocks are linked.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 20:16
Much made of Quinsí absentees on the C5 highlights. I guess we are lucky we havenít lost anyone to internationals or injury all season.

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 20:47
That is not quite true, BoB has been away for some time with Sand in his eye.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 12:09
Really impressed with Mercer's spirit as well as his performance. In every scrum he is revving up the players and keeping intensity high. Some players do the same, too, but it shows great maturity for such a young bloke.

While missing (7?) players to international duty and more to injury to get two league wins with one BP is pleasing enough. After years with all the performance and no good results I will quite happily take all the results with patchy performance during our transitionary years. If we can do one on Exeter then that will surely garner some support on here.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 15:38
Tough ask but if the team execute their away game tactics as well as they did at Tigers then a win is possible

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

BathMan in Oxford
BathMan in Oxford (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:11
Can anyone shed light on the Quins yellow card on Saturday? From what I saw on the big screen replay it was clearly a tip tackle with Kahn landing on his head. Isnít that a red and not a yellow?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:13
They may be playing very well but they are only 15 (23) professional rugby players, the same as us. From some of the comments above you would think that we are playing against a team of T-1000s (terminators), last time I looked the Exe team weren't made of polymimetic alloy. Yes, I'm a nerd.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:23
Quote:
BathMan in Oxford
Can anyone shed light on the Quins yellow card on Saturday? From what I saw on the big screen replay it was clearly a tip tackle with Kahn landing on his head. Isnít that a red and not a yellow?
it was considered that Walker also being involved provided enough mitigation - which we've seen before and can be fair enough.
However in this case, and in my opinion, without Walker's involvement it would still have been a tip... clear-out landing on the head, Walker's involvement makes it worse, but not enough to turn a red down to a yellow.
IMO a red for Chisholm and a yellow for Walker would have been the correct call; but good luck finding any ref who would do that 10 minutes into a professional match.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

by
by (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:31
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
BathMan in Oxford
it was considered that Walker also being involved provided enough mitigation - which we've seen before and can be fair enough.
However in this case, and in my opinion, without Walker's involvement it would still have been a tip... clear-out landing on the head, Walker's involvement makes it worse, but not enough to turn a red down to a yellow.
IMO a red for Chisholm and a yellow for Walker would have been the correct call; but good luck finding any ref who would do that 10 minutes into a professional match.

Chisholm has been cited.

Also its funny that the complete reverse happened in this fixture last season with Louw and Ewels clearing out one of the Quins players in the exact same manner, no card given but Louw copped a week ban.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:33
Have either Chisholm or Walker been cited?

In the ground I thought it was a cast iron red and having seen the highlights am still surprised it was only yellow.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

by
by (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:36
Quote:
OutsideBath
Have either Chisholm or Walker been cited?
In the ground I thought it was a cast iron red and having seen the highlights am still surprised it was only yellow.

Chisholm has been cited.

Louw got banned for a week doing the same thing to Mulchrone in this fixture last season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:53
He almost flipped him right over back onto his feet, which is one way of avoiding red I guess.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 17:40
Without question he was a lucky boy to be only handed a yellow on the day.
Far more dangerous than the red finally awarded to Freddie Burns.
Perhaps if the player "attacked" makes much of the incident then the punishment gets increased?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 20:23
Quote:
joethefanatic
A magic 20 minutes and then back to our usual selves.

Sums it up.

10/10 first 20 minutes, the handling, offloading, running lines were top notch.
3/10 last 60 minutes, zero basics, incapable of stringing even a couple of phases together.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 20:24
Please stop refering to this as a 'tackle'. This is one of the biggest areas of needless injuries-clearing out at the ruck. Neck rolls have almost gone but players are still being recklessly picked up while its only the really obvious shoulder first dives over the ruck like at Murrayfield which are getting pinged. It was not a million miles from thw BOD incident. At least one of them should have gone for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 20:25 by Trawling.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 22:02
Listening to the highlights, the Ref said that the presence of the second player mitigated the action of the first, hence it being a yellow not red for the first player. Seemed to imply that the second played slowed Khan down or prevented a more serious landing.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 23:24
Quote:
Rawce
Listening to the highlights, the Ref said that the presence of the second player mitigated the action of the first, hence it being a yellow not red for the first player. Seemed to imply that the second played slowed Khan down or prevented a more serious landing.
right words, wrong implication.
Walker mitigated things by making the landing worse, spreading the blame over 2 players and taking some control out of the hands of Chisolm.
Correct decision would have been red for Chisholm, yellow for Walker.
No ref is going to do that on 10 minutes, but Walker gave CMK an excuse to downgrade from red

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 05:39
So itís ok to tip a player and drop him on his head as long as you get a mate to help ? Glad thatís clear.

I hate the outcome based rule but itís even worse when not applied consistently. Assume a ban for Chisholm and a talking to for the young Scallywag with a whistle running around and waving his arms randomly in the direction of scrums.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 09:17
Interesting. I still donít buy the Ďdonít want to ruin the spectacleí that Sam Warbs brought to the fore in the Lions. If itís a red, itís a red.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 13:11
Cast Iron red , same as Freddie on his debut. Probably a 4 week ban reduced to 2

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 16:50
Seen the match now and feel some of the comments have been a bit unfair. I thought we tried to play with enterprise whenever in possession. It was just that the accuracy fell away in the 2nd half. The ideas were there though.
Special mention to Banners, he looked the kind of centre we were hoping Fruean would've been imo. Seemed so much better at 13. I noticed him and Tapuai did swap a fair bit though.
I thought Brew was very good, so committed!
I thought the 9, 10, 12 combo looked very inventive and full of ideas and movement.
What an engine Stooke has!
Mercer is do dangerous in a broken field, elusive but powerful runner.
Quins tries were as bit lucky imo, the 1st was bad communication between 12 and 13, the 2nd was just a broken line following a kick. And still, Lahiff was VERY close. That's amazing speed for a guy approaching 120kg!!

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net