rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Jonny Gray to Bristol?
21 November, 2017 17:43
[www.bbc.co.uk]

They are building up quite a formidable team.

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

Re: Jonny Gray to Bristol?
21 November, 2017 19:02
A formidable side indeed, but how long will it take an average side sprinkled with star names to fully gel?

Very much hope this does go somewhere and importantly removes the rumoured interest in Stooke they had. The guy has proven to be a superb signing and we'd be worse off without him IMO.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 19:12
Quote:
BathMatt53
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42070503
They are building up quite a formidable team.

True, but, if they make it to the Prem, the wage bill has to be under the cap. I'll be very interested to see how they plan to manage that, given the players they are signing for the sums they are (reportedly) signing them for.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 November, 2017 20:02
Aren’t you allowed two marquees these days? Pitau would be one I guess and the NZ flanker the other? Not too many other star names in the team at the moment (madigan)

JamboBris
JamboBris (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 07:11
We've got an awful lot of young players at the moment and not too many big names. Luatua and Piutau will be marquee as mentioned above so if anything i would expect us to be well under the cap at present. Especially when you compare our squad to the likes of sarries and wasps.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 11:13
Bristol have been "sleeping giants" for quite a while now. Their last attempt at the prem was half-baked to say the least. They will need a lot more than a couple of top signings and a few promising youngsters. They should spend their money on Rob Baxter. That would be a top signing.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 12:03
I don't think even Bristol have enough money to prize Rob Baxter away from Sandy Park. RB's family would lynch him for a start and as Devon soil is in his blood, the only way he would leave is in a wooden box!! England might get him, but only if he could stay living in Devon, and then only on a part time basis. IMO the Lions stand more chance of getting him away from Exeter as it would only be for a year.

His methods certainly get the best out of what players he has available, and many come from the Combination, through their Academy and some seen as not the best by other clubs. Truly remarkable in my view in an age when many would just get out the cheque book to 'fill' any gaps in their side.

If Exeter do well in Europe in the coming seasons, he could become the best qualified English coach in England, but as the RFU have gone for a foreigner in Eddie Jones, it doesn't mean they will necessarily go for an Englishman in the future.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 12:26
Doesn't Piutau's spell with Wasps rule him out of marquee contention? Though I have a feeling of deja vu with this question, so could be wrong twice.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 12:26
BoB, not trying to be clever cos honestly don't know but really how many Exe players have come from their Local Combination?

HOPHOPHOP

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 13:03
England might be looking for international experience, so Gregor Townsend could be a good call after Jones waves goodbye. Borthers will also be in contention.

Hercules Spoons
Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 13:42
cb2 - of all the West Country clubs that might be looking for a new coach next year I think your's is the most likely.
Perhaps Mr Baxter could run that from Devon?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 13:43
The year in Ulster removes Piutau's Wasps Marquee tag, so no he'd be fine (and will surely be one of Bris' marquees).

Not sure Borthers will be ready to step up. Can't see Townsend coaching Eng against Sco.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 13:54
Quote:
hasta
The year in Ulster removes Piutau's Wasps Marquee tag, so no he'd be fine (and will surely be one of Bris' marquees).
Not sure Borthers will be ready to step up. Can't see Townsend coaching Eng against Sco.

Why not? Andy Robinson did the opposite!

Bathovalballer

22 November, 2017 13:55
Apologies Sid I meant from the Championship. Players like Harry Williams, Jack Yeandle, Tomas Francis, Alec Hepburn and Carl Rimmer just to name a few.

Plus all their Academy graduates, like Nowell, Slade, Moon, Maunder, Townsend, Cowan-Dickie, Ewers, Simmonds brothers, Sam Hill, Bodilly to name a few, it makes very impressive reading to me. Without sounding disparaging, but guys who were not necessarily first choice at their previous clubs, like Steenson, Dollman, Woodburn, Short, Devotto, Mitch Lees have also been moulded into the team.

Some achievement in any ones eyes.

Back to the subject, Johnny Gray could be someone we should look at as well.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 14:12
BoB you had better sit down after all that in case you have a moment...

In all seriousness I didn't realise that you were a fan of Exe? (I should have read between the lines on your previous posts I guess, apologies).

Trev's Big Tackle
Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 14:44
For players and teams in the premiership wages are averaged out, along with bonuses, over the length of contract for salary cap purposes. How does that work for promoted sides?

Could the existing Bristol players get a massive promotion bonus and then have a small wage next year to keep the cap down? If Gray, Piatau etc get paid a "Signing bonus" this year would that count in the salary cap next season?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 15:16
Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
For players and teams in the premiership wages are averaged out, along with bonuses, over the length of contract for salary cap purposes. How does that work for promoted sides?
Could the existing Bristol players get a massive promotion bonus and then have a small wage next year to keep the cap down? If Gray, Piatau etc get paid a "Signing bonus" this year would that count in the salary cap next season?

The rules are very clear to avoid any of this sort of weighting either before or after the premiership contract (sorry I can't be bothered to look up the actual paragraphs).

Bathovalballer

22 November, 2017 15:31
Some of you guys do not understand written english.

I have been a fan of Bath Rugby since my teens, over 50 years ago, a season ticket holder and previously a club member for nearly 40 years, and I will die a Bath Rugby fan and supporter.

Just because I mention our near neighbours who by the way have consistently been above us in the league for a season or two, plus winning the Premiership, DOES NOT MEAN I HAVE CHANGED MY ALLEGIANCE and I NEVER WILL!

I am just pointing out how many things Exeter are doing well and I just WISH we could emulate even half of their achievements with the infinitely more resources we have in players and facilities than they have, including Bath's much bigger fan base. You have to ask why are Bath so far off the pace after all our years in existence, and with the financial backing we have enjoyed.

Exeter do not have a sugar daddy and have managed to make a profit every year they have been in the Premiership. Their home grown coach has consistently produced results from, one could argue, a much less talented squad on paper, and they train often on a beach!

I hope once and for all you understand english and that I want the best for this rugby club and see as regularly challenging for honours and not just also rans. Get it!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 16:06
BoB, it was a joke. Your enthusiasm should be encouraged.

robtheh
robtheh (IP Logged)

22 November, 2017 21:19
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I am just pointing out how many things Exeter are doing well and I just WISH we could emulate even half of their achievements with the infinitely more resources we have in players and facilities than they have, including Bath's much bigger fan base. You have to ask why are Bath so far off the pace after all our years in existence, and with the financial backing we have enjoyed.

Exeter do not have a sugar daddy and have managed to make a profit every year they have been in the Premiership. Their home grown coach has consistently produced results from, one could argue, a much less talented squad on paper, and they train often on a beach!

Sorry, but they DO have a sugar daddy (Tony Rowe and his co-backers) and their resources are the equal of yours.
A previous post of yours alluded to their unwillingness to buy talent in. Sorry, but again, that's simply incorrect.
What Baxter is very good at is spotting players who will fit in to the ethos, are established top-level performers, but (the crucial element) are not regular internationals.
He’s evidently an exceptional man-manager, as he also manages to get said players play to the top of their game.
But to say that they do what they do on less money than yourselves is a myth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net