rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Finn Russell
23 November, 2017 12:25
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Scottish Rugby could not compete with the "superstar money" on offer in France for Finn Russell, says chief executive Mark Dodson.

The Glasgow fly-half will join Racing 92 next summer on a deal believed to be worth around £700,000-per-season.

Crikey, its no wonder the salary caps aren't going a long way if that's the going rate.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Finn Russell
23 November, 2017 13:15
No wonder Banners has not resigned if this is the sort of money going! Its a wonder all the Prem players don't look out their passports and look for a second home in France.

I blame it all on Brexit and that man Macron. If the Euro wasn't so strong against the (Scottish) pound and the economic prospects so much better in the Euro Zone, it would not be such an attractive deal. Ha ha.

Seriously this is crazy money for a talented but yet to be proved World Class player. I wonder if Racing 92 have a vacancy for an (very) old has been rugby player who likes drinking good Chablis and Burgundy as well as eating French food? People say my schoolboy French is not that bad as well. I could clean Mr Russell's boots for an (inflated) fee plus an apartment in a Paris suburb. Nothing to posh would do.

by
by (IP Logged)

23 November, 2017 13:23
A blow to Scottish rugby, hes not worth that sort of money.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

23 November, 2017 13:39
Russell was superb against Racing last season and comfortably outplayed Carter (who's off to Japan end of season). This is, of course, the same set of circumstances that led to us signing Matawalu.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 November, 2017 13:39
A class act. In his prime. And plenty of change out of Dan Carter's salary, assuming he's finished with Racing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 November, 2017 14:18
yes he's off to japan.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

As even at that salary Finn Russell is on about 1/2 a carter Metro must be pretty relaxed about it.

Dan Biggar reported to have signed for £650k a year at Saints

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Although, for obvious reasons, they cannot discuss the actual salaries of their individual clients, they disclosed the average figure in the Aviva Premiership was about £200,000 a man last season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/11/2017 15:49 by BathMatt53.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

23 November, 2017 23:56
.......and we canít afford to keep Banners (Sm19)(Sm19)(Sm19)

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 00:15
Say we have a squad of 40, at an average of £200k per man that is £8 million! Can we afford that with a gate of say 14000 per Prem game producing say £50 per head which equals £700.000 for 11 games, or £7.7million per annum. That doesn't leave much for admin, management, Farleigh Towers etc. Mind you if I was offered £200k per annum to play rugby, I would bite your hand off!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 06:49
BoB I think that I read on here previously that it was the prem TV contract that provided the clubs with the most money as well as commercial ventures (rather than tickets). The average ticket price isnít anywhere near £50 a head, that must be the max (top seat for top games).

Also interesting on the welsh link was that blindside flank, hooker and tighthead are the worst paid on average now, with 10 and then 12the best paid.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 07:39
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Say we have a squad of 40, at an average of £200k per man that is £8 million! Can we afford that with a gate of say 14000 per Prem game producing say £50 per head which equals £700.000 for 11 games, or £7.7million per annum. That doesn't leave much for admin, management, Farleigh Towers etc. Mind you if I was offered £200k per annum to play rugby, I would bite your hand off!

Gate money is only a proportion of the club's income - TV, sponsorship, advertising ???

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 08:01
The cap is about £7(+ marquee) million, we should aim to spend about £7(+ marquee) million.

I think I recall someone working it out, very loosely, as about a 3 way 1/3 split: gate receipts, RFU money and TV/advertising.

I'm sure there's people who look at our published accounts that can give a better idea, but either way our income is much more than our gate receipt. I'm not sure why Bob's only considering the 11 AP matches and discarding secondary sale either.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 08:37
Our wage bill in total in 15/16 was £10.8m which includes support staff and sales and admin. Total Turnover amounted to £16.8m from all income sources, gate, TV, PRL, bars etc. However our other costs are large mainly rent and cost of the temporary stand and this eats into the surplus to make the loss last year of £1m. Hopefully, legal costs will reduce as a result of the legal battle now won, but there are costs related to planning which have to be recognised.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

hard work
hard work (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 11:40
£7m between 40 players = £175k, and that includes employers NIC, so salary more likely to be £155k-ish.
So, for every player on £300k salary, there's got to be 3 on £100k

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 13:24
Quote:
hard work
£7m between 40 players = £175k, and that includes employers NIC, so salary more likely to be £155k-ish.
So, for every player on £300k salary, there's got to be 3 on £100k

That excludes the 2 marquees which would bring the average up as I suspect that most in the prem would cost at least £1m between them (and in some cases considerably more). The cap also excludes international and academy credits.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 13:33
I'm still at a loss to understand how we got to a situation where the budget has been blown to such an extent we are going to lose Banners

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 13:42
I can see it happening like this: suppose Banners is the only player we have to renew this year. The cap hasn't gone up. We've spend to the cap last year. We literally only have his previous salary to play with. If that salary isn't enough for him we've got a problem.

Of course, he isn't the only player being renewed, but do you want to borrow from Kharn's or Auterec's offers to keep Banners?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 13:51
Quote:
DanWiley
I can see it happening like this: suppose Banners is the only player we have to renew this year. The cap hasn't gone up. We've spend to the cap last year. We literally only have his previous salary to play with. If that salary isn't enough for him we've got a problem.
Of course, he isn't the only player being renewed, but do you want to borrow from Kharn's or Auterec's offers to keep Banners?

I think that the cap doesn't go up this year? The welsh article suggested that salaries had gone up by 15%. Something has to give, for sure. Of course this is exactly the thing that Mark McCall said a few months ago and most people laughed at him.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:22
To be honest, I can't speak for Wales, but here there's a chance of us losing players to France, but nowhere else really and I don't see a big impact from France. As the cap hasn't gone up I don't see how our wages can have increased that much, unless clubs that weren't spending up to the cap have increased their spending?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:27
Being at maximum salary cap is going to be quite a problem for Bath. The quality of the team will likely deteriorate.

What player is going to sign a new contract on the same (or less) money than the previous contract?

I know I never did and if I was offered the same money I would have assumed that my employer no longer wanted my services.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:36
A player coming to the end of their career should be thankful to be kept on the same money. I'd be more concerned about the length of my contract. So if Banners is only being offered 1 year, I'm not surprised he's looking elsewhere. If some other team is willing to offer more money for a 2 or more year contract then good luck to him.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:37
Rugby players are a bit outside the norm though I'd say.

I would assume that after, say, 30 players might expect wages to go down as their use on the field reduces. That seems consistent with the world outside rugby, if you took on a less prestigious role, even if you were a few years older, would you still expect an increase?

Matt's in particularly bad position because he took a pay cut 5 years ago. So his experience probably isn't typically.

The cap has previously gone up with some measure of inflation, it just seems that this year, following massive increases in the past few years, they've decided to leave it where it is for a bit. Again, Matt's renewal is rather unfortunately timed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:43
Quote:
jayeatman
A player coming to the end of their career should be thankful to be kept on the same money. I'd be more concerned about the length of my contract. So if Banners is only being offered 1 year, I'm not surprised he's looking elsewhere. If some other team is willing to offer more money for a 2 or more year contract then good luck to him.

He has been offered 2 years (one of which is a testimonial year) according to the Chron. Glos have offered 3 years.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 16:05
You'd have thought he'd be worth more to Bath than Glaws, but if they're prepared to offer 3 years for a winger his age, I'm not sure they'd be getting a good deal.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 16:44
It is a good financial move for Russell but an odd decision for his rugby career. Do many current foreign internationals benefit from playing in France? It doesn't seem to help the Welsh guys. Russell and Glasgow were turning into a real force. It will be interesting to see where his game is in 4 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net