rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Marfo
23 November, 2017 22:15
Interesting piece. Glad it worked out for him.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

Re: Marfo
24 November, 2017 00:28
Brilliant read.

HOP

sid the seagull

24 November, 2017 00:32
Meanwhile, Bath you take a boy from an Academy who gives you the best years of his playing career at below the going rate and then effectively tell him to F off.
Wake up you @#$%&.
While this carries on we're building nothing other a venal nasty little pit.

SQUAWK

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 08:40
Really? Do you really see the club as a 'venal nasty little pit'?! Good grief. Bit over the top perhaps...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/11/2017 08:56 by callmeMrTibbs.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 09:27
Best of luck to Marfo with everything north of the border. Tbf when he got some gametime for us towards the back end of last year I always thought he did not look at all out of place and played well. It is perhaps harder to get involved wholly when you know you are on a part time contract but given Auterac may be off and this guy has just jumped into the test arena it is a shame really that we never got to see more of him!!

Best of luck though Darryl!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 09:34
Marfo was always eager and played well in the A-Team games that I saw. But, he went from Welsh straight to us and he clearly didn't have the advantage of top-level conditioning at that point. With a pre-season behind him he always had the potential to do well I thought (as a squad player at least) - I can't say that I ever predicted him putting in a solid shift against the ABs though!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 10:36
"I've come out after my haircut and I'm feeling pretty fresh. I'm looking good."

That is a good read! Wish we'd hung on to him now. Sounds a good lad.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 10:37
If Auterac is off, shouldn't we try to bring him back to Bath, as we may well be able to afford a larger salary than Edinburgh? Probably he is not on top money just know and we may be able to top it. Just a thought.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 10:39
Quote:
callmeMrTibbs
Really? Do you really see the club as a 'venal nasty little pit'?! Good grief. Bit over the top perhaps...
In fairness, it was timestamped at half past midnight... maybe after indulging a little?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 10:46
Yes, bit of an odd word to use, not sure I have seen any evidence of corruption or susceptibility to bribery? I would be surprised if Farleigh was described on the estate agents details as 'a little pit' either...

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 11:01
Sid was out on the tiles smiling smiley

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:06
Quote:
Bathovalballer
If Auterac is off, shouldn't we try to bring him back to Bath, as we may well be able to afford a larger salary than Edinburgh? Probably he is not on top money just know and we may be able to top it. Just a thought.

He won't come back now, he's bought a kilt!

by
by (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:39
Great story, he seemed like a real character in the interviews he did while at Bath.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 14:45
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Why the hell would he come back? We left him in a position where he was just about to give up professional rugby!

Onwards to Bath - and into another dead end.

"I'm not going to lie to you, the past few years have been very difficult. I maintained a belief that if I stuck at it then something good would happen, but there were points last year when it was tough. I'd almost accepted that it wasn't going to happen for me.

"When I left Bath, it was a pretty stressful time. I didn't have a club. I went back home to my mum's to be around my family.

"That was when I really started to get tested. I was thinking of moving down to part-time and just playing for fun."

The he goes to Edinburgh and does amazingly and you thing that he would relish the chance of a return? Or was this a joke?

sid the seagull

24 November, 2017 15:17
OK Sid here,
Own up I may possibly have had the odd bottle of Chateau Splodge.
However point of order, not 'on tiles' as generally slate around here (second chimney pot on the left).
Having said that am more and more ANGRY about the Banahan thing and meant to imply mean and money grabbing rather than literally open to bribery.
Their treatment of MB is saying to prospective signees, 'don't bother giving us a long career or a reasonable price because you'd be better off grabbing as much money as possible in as short a period as possible. Also don't think we want you to be loyal cos we're not going to be loyal to you'. Nice.
If MB took a pay cut 5 years ago he is probably now on way below his worth especially as the Cap has gone up by 60% + in the meantime. If I were MB I'd feel well insulted.
Lastly I feel he is still worth well more than 'average' when he's on the pitch, let alone what it says to everyone else (see above).

SQUAWKSQUAWKSQUAWK

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 15:24
Quote:
sid the seagull
OK Sid here,
However point of order, not 'on tiles' as generally slate around here (second chimney pot on the left).
Having said that am more and more ANGRY about the Banahan thing and meant to imply mean and money grabbing rather than literally open to bribery.
Their treatment of MB is saying to prospective signees, 'don't bother giving us a long career or a reasonable price because you'd be better off grabbing as much money as possible in as short a period as possible. Also don't think we want you to be loyal cos we're not going to be loyal to you'. Nice.
If MB took a pay cut 5 years ago he is probably now on way below his worth especially as the Cap has gone up by 60% + in the meantime. If I were MB I'd feel well insulted.
Lastly I feel he is still worth well more than 'average' when he's on the pitch, let alone what it says to everyone else (see above).

SQUAWKSQUAWKSQUAWK

That was put much better Sid!

sid the seagull

24 November, 2017 16:43
Pass that bottle old thing.

HOP

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 17:52
Quote:
sid the seagull
OK Sid here,

SQUAWKSQUAWKSQUAWK

Unlike any other employee whose pay is likely to steadily rise through his life, a Rugby playerís value/earning potential rises, peaks, plateaus then drops off.

I suspect the club saw Banners on the plateau at his last contract thinks he is slowly dropping off. So heís not worth a pay rise now, leave alone a commitment for 3 years. His salary should be in keeping with the other non-international players.

Quite how Glos see it so differently, I donít know.

sid the seagull

24 November, 2017 18:00
Yes but in my view he is as valuable to the team as he was 5years ago.
And in 5 years the Cap has gone up (approx 60% ?) by offering him the same now The Club is in effect offering him a massive pay cut!
His abilities have not diminished but they have changed.

FLAP

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 18:46
Maybe same salary but 3 years with the testimonial is the solution?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

24 November, 2017 19:05
I think 5 years ago Banners was in a bit of a slump playing wise and seemed to have fallen out of love with the game. A long term contract for security seemed fair. Fortunately 3/4 years ago he found his mojo and was back to his best. No real comment on the current situation as I can see it from both perspectives.

Really glad for Marfo, he did seem off the pace for us to start with but got himself back up to speed quickly. I guess we didnít have a need at the time and he was only here as cover, so Iím not sure the club owed him anything? Anyway, the drive to get oneself up to international standard in such a short space of time is remarkable really.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net