rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

bathsupporter
bathsupporter (IP Logged)

Lucas Noguera Paz
26 November, 2017 19:01
According to Neil Fissler, Bath have snapped up highly rated young Argentine loose head Lucas Noguera Paz from the Jaguares in Super Rugby, should touch down before January.... Very handy piece of business ( allbeit tbc). Thoughts?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Lucas Noguera Paz
26 November, 2017 19:16
Two things if this is true, a) we probably should assume Auterac is on his way, and b). Catt's injury might be worse than we thought and length of time of recovery might be longer. As a young international, he will likely be away during the AI's and shows the importance of Obano's development.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 20:01
Let's not get too excited, It's only Fissler saying it at present.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 November, 2017 20:23
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

He certainly seems well regarded. Good bit of Argentinian beef, not to be sniffed at.

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 13:31
I can definitely see potential in him. He has become a mainstay of the Pumas side after a real breakthrough in 2014-ish, and its very understandable why. A little raw still I'd argue, but getting to test himself against the best for the last 3 years (for club and country) is really starting to show now.

He's not the biggest (a la Herrera) but is quite a niggly LH and as the Telegraph says he is indeed very well built for scrummaging and likes a good carry too. Having played alongside Herrera, more noticeably Creevy, and with Jaguares having recently appointed Mario Ledesma as head coach, I'm hopeful he has picked up a great wealth of knowledge, especially having been understudy to Ayerza. He is looking like being another off the Argentine conveyor belt of top scrummagers as we've seen year after year.

A very astute signing if this is indeed true, personally I find Fissler quite reliable so I remain hopeful. I'd love to see us bring in Kremer as well, he has a wealth of potential at so young an age and is already a top performer at Lock or Back-Row as he was against England this Autumn. South America, especially Argentina, is a hot bed of talent for me. I'd love to see us explore it a little more although as BoB rightly points out, there is the small matter of international call ups.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

by
by (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 13:55
Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be on a long term contract and could well just be an injury replace to Catt who is most likely out for the remainder of the season.

seatonian
seatonian (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 15:05
Can anyone tell me how many minutes of rugby Nathan Catt and Henry Thomas have actually played in the last season and a half? Not that many I would guess and hence the source of a problem. Would we not be better to try to get them off the squad for the rest of the season and get in two 'medical jokers'? Would it not be the best solution for the players welfare?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 15:13
Henry Thomas, co-commentating on Saturday, said he was back to full contact training, and looking to be picked for this coming weekend's game.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:06
Quote:
seatonian
Can anyone tell me how many minutes of rugby Nathan Catt and Henry Thomas have actually played in the last season and a half? Not that many I would guess and hence the source of a problem. Would we not be better to try to get them off the squad for the rest of the season and get in two 'medical jokers'? Would it not be the best solution for the players welfare?

Maybe that's exactly what they have done with Catt and Paz? Catt has had a back operation and is out for the foreseeable.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:09
If true then as stated earlier, I think we can take it that NA has made his mind up about returning to London and PAZ will be a direct replacement.

If that is the case I wish NA all the luck and hope he finds his form of 2 seasons ago, after a wretched time of injuries he has not been the same player.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:15
Quote:
Ali1969
If true then as stated earlier, I think we can take it that NA has made his mind up about returning to London and PAZ will be a direct replacement.
If that is the case I wish NA all the luck and hope he finds his form of 2 seasons ago, after a wretched time of injuries he has not been the same player.

But:

a) we supposedly have no budget left; and
b) he would be joining in Jan.

So, we have freed up some budget before NA leaves which makes me think that it could be injury dispensation for Catt?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:23
BathMatt you may well be right PAZ signed initially as a Medical Joker is a distinct possibility.

Handy to have him here though if NA is leaving...

by
by (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:26
Probably doing a similar thing to what they did with Kahn, using the injury allowance to cover the initial salary and then releasing Matawalu once Kahn was fit to keep below the salary cap.

Assuming Paz is signed on a longterm deal, I'd guess that he'll initially be brought in as an injury replacement for Catt but replace Auterac from next season.

I can only hope that Perenise is retained but I think all our TH props signed new deals last season.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 17:01
I really hope we do keep Perenise. For my money, heís the best tight head weíve had since that guy who used to play for Samoa and the Hurricanes...

Strange that Bristol never seemed to play him?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 17:11
Quote:
ken_jnr
I really hope we do keep Perenise. For my money, heís the best tight head weíve had since that guy who used to play for Samoa and the Hurricanes...
Strange that Bristol never seemed to play him?

I think that you are mixing him up with the chap who played for Wellington, Highlanders and Hawkes Bay?

He played for Bris 52 times in 3 seasons which doesn't seem too shabby - he was injured a lot of the 16-17 season I think?

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 18:02
Tarquin said at a recent STH Q&A that there was some cap left, they always plan to have some spare cap should a good player become available.
I thought Argentina were only selecting players who now play there. Would be surprised if a young international gave up that shirt

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 18:03
Argentina have relaxed that rule until the rwc.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 18:11
Good news then Hasta, if he signs (Maybe Mendez had a word)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 18:12 by Widcombe Boy.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 21:31
Quote:
Widcombe Boy
Good news then Hasta, if he signs (Maybe Mendez had a word)

If he did then I just hope it wasn't in his 'shell-like'

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 21:31
Quote:
BathMatt53
He played for Bris 52 times in 3 seasons which doesn't seem too shabby - he was injured a lot of the 16-17 season I think?

That explains it then, canít say I paid much attention to Bristol when they were in the Championship and hadnít realised he was broken last year.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 21:32 by ken_jnr.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 17:05
Argentine media saying its done.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 17:25
Quote:
BathMatt53
Argentine media saying its done.
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Excellent. Look forward to seeing him.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 17:37
Good grief someone wants to join us! winking smiley

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 17:38
Arm twisted CC I expect.

In fact at a year younger than Auterac with over 40 caps one could (if one so wanted) make the argument that he is an improvement? That obviously doesnít align with the rhetoric, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 17:42 by BathMatt53.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 20:10
Quote:
BathMatt53
Arm twisted CC I expect.
In fact at a year younger than Auterac with over 40 caps one could (if one so wanted) make the argument that he is an improvement? That obviously doesnít align with the rhetoric, however.

Significant improvement I'd say.
I wonder if he can bring a mate that hooks?!

Bathovalballer

29 November, 2017 23:31
Crevy would be good, on a short term contract.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 12:24
Now signed!

Also, Nathan Charles and James Wilson extend until the end of the season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 12:31
All good news.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 12:43
Fantastic. Hopefully our version of Ayerza. Looks a hard young man that should bring should bring some real edge.

Glad about Charles and Wilson, too.

Well done coaches and management.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 12:49
Look forward to him running out in the BB&W. Welcome!

Bathovalballer

06 December, 2017 13:23
Got to hand it to Fissler who was right about Lucas's signing. And he will be in training next week so sounds he might actually be fit as well! Great news.

Looks a real prospect and of course having a great deal of international experience at a relatively young age for a prop. It is exactly the sort of signing we need and hopefully he can bring some much needed physicality and help shore up our pack.

I wonder what his English is like or do we a Spanish speaker in the Farleigh Spa Hotel set up? Where is Freddie Mendez when you need him?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 13:25
Quote:
BathMatt53
All good news.

+1

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 14:08
Oh dear, BoB - Lucas Noguera Paz 108kg

Andrews 120kg, Auterac 115kg, Catt 115kg, Knight 118kg, Obano 120kg, Lahiff 103kg, Perinese 118kg, Thomas 118kg.

Almost the lightest of our porps. Will he really be able to put it around the way we want him to?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 14:22
No wonder Lahiff is so fast at only 103kg - thats the same as Max Clark and Vereniki Goneva!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 14:23 by BathMatt53.

Bathovalballer

06 December, 2017 14:27
Get him in the gym and feed him some of his countryman's steaks.

Much of propping comes down to technique, but still its always likely that a good biggen will beat a good liitlen.

We will have to see how he performs.

Mike the Taxi

06 December, 2017 14:49
Got 50+ caps to his name, so he can't be that bad!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 15:01
Quote:
BathMatt53
No wonder Lahiff is so fast at only 103kg - thats the same as Max Clark and Vereniki Goneva!

He's heavier now. I asked him during this preseason what weight he was planning to be at the start and he said 118kg.

That makes his run after than Quins centre all the more impressive!!!

40 Mile
40 Mile (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 19:54
What an exciting signing. Really looking forward to watching LNP in the BBW!

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 20:28
Really hope this works.
Got the impression that most of our past Argentinian guys failed to settle.
So let's make this guy a fixture.

FLAP

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 20:41
Agulla did OK I think? Apart from Mendez I can think of too many more?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 21:01
German Lanes

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 21:41
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Get him in the gym and feed him some of his countryman's steaks.
Much of propping comes down to technique, but still its always likely that a good biggen will beat a good liitlen.

We will have to see how he performs.

You should tell your heroes Hepburn, Moon and Rimmer to eat more steaks too then, they're of a similar size.

Bathovalballer

06 December, 2017 23:34
Moon is a rock solid scrummagger although not the most fleet of foot. He is always in their starting 23 if fit. Not being the biggest with a solid second row behind him, proves size and weight isn't everything. He has given some of the best tight heads severe problems and 2 seasons ago, I witnessed him demolish Dan Cole in a league game. Only 28 with over 200 games to his name. Rarely injured.

Hepburn has the speed and ball handling ability along with good scrum and other abilities and could become World class in my view. Only 26 but has had some bad injuries.

If LNP becomes as good as both of these guys, we will have found ourselves a real diamond. Hope so and welcome Lucas.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 04:28
Quote:
BathMatt53
Agulla did OK I think? Apart from Mendez I can think of too many more?

Juan Pablo Orlandi never really hit the heights I hoped for.....FernŠndez Lobbe did ok for us when he played, as for Agulla, didnít play enough in my eyes, but settled in fine, so much that didnít want to leave.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 07:45
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Moon is a rock solid scrummagger although not the most fleet of foot. He is always in their starting 23 if fit. Not being the biggest with a solid second row behind him, proves size and weight isn't everything. He has given some of the best tight heads severe problems and 2 seasons ago, I witnessed him demolish Dan Cole in a league game. Only 28 with over 200 games to his name. Rarely injured.
Hepburn has the speed and ball handling ability along with good scrum and other abilities and could become World class in my view. Only 26 but has had some bad injuries.

If LNP becomes as good as both of these guys, we will have found ourselves a real diamond. Hope so and welcome Lucas.

I didn't ask to hear how amazing Exeter Chiefs players are but I suppose I should have expected it.

My point is, those three are not big men, by front row standards, so why tell our lad to eat more steaks and get bigger? You've no idea his ability or skill level. Unlike the coaches who've given him 50 caps and those that signed him.

Barnoid
Barnoid (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 07:52
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Do you ever stop and think before posting BoB? This is a thread on the Bath rugby forum welcoming a new player.

You post waxing lyrical about the players of a different team, mistakenly imply our signing is too small, get in a dig about our second row being lightweight (presumably this is about your nonsense hobbyhorse issue with Charlie Ewels?), then tell us weíll be lucky if our new signing ends up as good as the other teamís reserve.

The Exeter board is here: [www.rugbynetwork.net]

I feel that the majority of your posts would be better received there.

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 08:16
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I dont know how much of the Jaguares and the Rugby Championship you've seen BoB but I'd comfortably argue as someone who always watches Argentine rugby games, club and international, that he is already perfectly equal to them. His rugby education against top pro's started very young given the quality of opposition in Super Rugby and the international stage. He has learnt very quickly if you further consider he was playing semi-pro OUTSIDE of Buenos Aires until he signed up with Jaguares and follows strongly in the proud mould of Argentine front rowers with good ability around the pitch too. I'd throw him into games as soon as possible myself-more competition and to get him upto speed.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 08:20
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Moon is a rock solid scrummagger although not the most fleet of foot. He is always in their starting 23 if fit. ...

I think you'll find LNP is already considerably better than those two.

He has considerable international experience while neither of those two have got anywhere near a full cap.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 09:28
An excellent signing especially if Auterac is off and given Catt's injuries.

He has great experience, is decent around the park from the looks of it and he's Argentinian so you know he'll be strong at the set piece and passionate if nothing else!

Welcome Lucas, look forward to seeing you out there!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

Mike the Taxi

23 December, 2017 14:18
Why is it that in the team sheet, he is referred to as Lucas Noguera, and in other articles as Lucas Noguera Paz?

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 18:03
How did he play on dťbut today against Sale?

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 21:42
He seemed solid in the scrum, didnít see a lot of him in the loose, but I would say his set piece work was one of the few plus points.

by
by (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 10:38
Looked like a good prospect for me, I thought a lot of the forwards looked pretty good yesterday, Stooke in particular.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 10:49
But BoB says they are too soft?

Bathovalballer

24 December, 2017 12:03
If we had a side of triers and improvers like Stooke we would be pushing for honours. If anyone deserves a holiday like Joseph it is this man.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 13:56
So JJ is now your hitman - you always have one. I'm sure ewels will have a much better Christmas knowing you moved your barbed comments onto someone else. Noticed the defence wasn't as good yesterday without JJ but that has nothing to do with anything does it.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 13:59
Quote:
Bathovalballer
If we had a side of triers and improvers like Stooke we would be pushing for honours. If anyone deserves a holiday like Joseph it is this man.

I like stookes I think he's a fine player but what was he doing between end of may and beginning of September?

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 14:41
Attending Grunting classes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net