rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Hardcore run of games
27 November, 2017 12:13
Our next set of games is pretty hardcore:

02/12 Ex (A)
09/12 Toulon (A)
16/12 Toulon (H)
23/12 Sale (A)
29/12 Wasps (H)
05/01 Worcs (A)
12/01 Scarlets (H)

If our season so far is probably B+/A- in terms of results, B- in terms of performances, what do we need from these games? 3/4 Prem wins, 2/3 Euro? We could easily end up with the reverse of those...

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

Re: Hardcore run of games
27 November, 2017 13:00
Bring it on I say.

It will be odd going to Sandy Park as underdogs and I reckon Exeter will want reinforce their recent superiority. I reckon 79 minutes of frantic defence and a bit of Roko magic will be the game plan. Do we get all the internationals back for this one ?

by
by (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 13:11
We should have everyone back, though I hope they think about resting Faletau and Louw for Toulon.

I'd say Euro is the most important, we probably only need 1 prem win and a win against Scarlets at a minimum to stay in both competitions.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 15:31
Oddly I'd say Wasps and Sale are eminently winnable at present. Of the Euro games we just need to win our home matches, and Toulon aren't the force they were...

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:08
Quote:
Beergoggles
It will be odd going to Sandy Park as underdogs

I would say that we have been underdogs at Sandy Park for years - they have been very strong there for the last couple of seasons at least, despite us nicking the win last year.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:21
Personally I am very optimistic - our injured players are starting to come back and all of a sudden the coaches have options especially post AI's.

I honestly believe that this weeks match, Sale and Worcester are the real tests. Toulon are not the side they were, Wasps are still way off where they were last year (Sounds familiar!!! almost shadowing our own journey after we made the AP final).

I think this weeks match will be a titanic battle with two sides who defend really well and can hit on the counter.

Exeter have that bloody minded attitude we once had in the 80s & 90s and hopefully under TB we are starting to get again.

by
by (IP Logged)

27 November, 2017 16:28
Wasps will have a lot of guys returning from injury and be near full strength by the time they face us.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 11:45
No idea. We need to go out to win all our matches but rotate the squad judiciously. This season we have been just as likely to win away as at home. Sale & Worcester are no longer easy matches, if they ever were, & Im pretty sure Wasps will steadily improve especially if/when Cipriani is back.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 11:50
Quote:
BathMatt53
I would say that we have been underdogs at Sandy Park for years - they have been very strong there for the last couple of seasons at least, despite us nicking the win last year.

Probably largely as a result of statistics Bath are still the side that I feel least confident about Exeter playing.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 13:47
Quote:
hasta
02/12 Ex (A)
09/12 Toulon (A)
16/12 Toulon (H)
23/12 Sale (A)
29/12 Wasps (H)
05/01 Worcs (A)
12/01 Scarlets (H)

If our season so far is probably B+/A- in terms of results, B- in terms of performances, what do we need from these games? 3/4 Prem wins, 2/3 Euro? We could easily end up with the reverse of those...

Would be delighted with 3/4 Prem and 2/3 Euro wins.
Ex (A) and Toulon (A) would be more far-fetched than Leicester/Wasps/Scarlets (A).
The other 5 will ALL be tough, so winning all of them would be impressive.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 15:24
Quote:
jayeatman
Quote:
hasta
02/12 Ex (A)
09/12 Toulon (A)
16/12 Toulon (H)
23/12 Sale (A)
29/12 Wasps (H)
05/01 Worcs (A)
12/01 Scarlets (H)

Would be delighted with 3/4 Prem and 2/3 Euro wins.
Ex (A) and Toulon (A) would be more far-fetched than Leicester/Wasps/Scarlets (A).
The other 5 will ALL be tough, so winning all of them would be impressive.
Where's your ambition man? we need to win at least 8 of our next 7 matches or we'll be relegated for sure.
Exeter or Saracens would never be happy with only winning 7 from 7

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 21:41
Taking an adventurous view and ignoring WT's slightly dodgy maths, yes the league is important and we need to take points where we should, but I quite fancy a change of direction in the form of a damn good Euro cup run as priority for a change.

I do feel that the effect of the salary cap is now real and that explains many of the unexpected league results seen this season so far.

The Euro games are a more interesting challenge I think. To beat Toulon home and away would breath some life into a season where results have been ground out somewhat with injuries prevailing. A cup run with some returning flair thrown in to brighten up the winter I say.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

28 November, 2017 23:49
It would be satisfying but the trouble with a cup competition is unless you get to the final & perform well it means little.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 07:15
Quote:
Bath Hammer
It would be satisfying but the trouble with a cup competition is unless you get to the final & perform well it means little.

If you look at it from the players perspective, if you are an international returning from duty or maybe an injury what is going to get you excited about your sport back at club level, away trips to Sale and Worcs (no offence to those clubs) or Toulon?

We have been winning games off low possession stats and would be well suited to grab some headlines in France.

Historically we've been a cup winning side and it would do us good to have a good run at that, even if not winning it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net