rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

Chisholm Ban
29 November, 2017 08:05
Found guilty last night and given 3 week ban. (England Rugby)
Due justice but should have been obvious to the officials in the game.

SteveCh
SteveCh (IP Logged)

Re: Chisholm Ban
29 November, 2017 08:40
Agree, and we all felt it was a straight red when we saw it in real time. What we don't know is what other angles Rosie had when reviewing it as TMO with CM-K - enough evidently to go with a more cautious Yellow. Maybe the fact that the match was barely 10 minutes old helped.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 08:45
From where I sat and the replay on the big screen the landing was neck and head. I thought that was a straight red and all round me thought so too.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 08:46
Thought it was red at the time. Watched tv after the ref was looking for reasons not to give a red. He seemed to think a second tackler made it ok and therefore a yellow. There is clear precedent that it doesn't (Flo last season to name but one) he should have known this. So either underprepared or he just bottled it.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 09:50
I think this is fully deserved and even some quins fans I met afterwards were surprised it was not a red. I think the officials bottled it for sure and I wonder if this retrospective decision goes against any of them in terms of being marked down?
All too often in most sports officials bottle decisions early in a game which later on they don't. There was an incident a few weeks ago in a football match when a man city player should have been red carded in the first five minutes. Refs are there to enforce the laws or rules of the sports they officiate in irrespective of when any offence is committed and by whom.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 10:12
I still think just a penalty for lifting an opposition player off his feet is the way to go:

- The game instantly becomes safer, no worries about players being dropped on their necks.
- The game becomes clearer. Not discussions about whether another player was involved, what was the outcome, did they land on their neck, was their a mitigating circumstance etc.
- The sanction, just a penalty, doesn't unduly skew this match or even subsequent matches.

I don't think it even weakens the tackle that much, though even that might not be a bad thing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 10:37
Almost every Underhill tackle lifts the player off their feet!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 10:38
Definition

The difference between lifting a player off his feet and knocking him off his feet with the force of the tackle?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 10:39
Quote:
DanWiley
I still think just a penalty for lifting an opposition player off his feet is the way to go:
- The game instantly becomes safer, no worries about players being dropped on their necks.
- The game becomes clearer. Not discussions about whether another player was involved, what was the outcome, did they land on their neck, was their a mitigating circumstance etc.
- The sanction, just a penalty, doesn't unduly skew this match or even subsequent matches.

I don't think it even weakens the tackle that much, though even that might not be a bad thing.

The definition of what constitutes a lift would take up several pages of the rule book - for every problem you try to legislate for another batch will arise

Just one quick example, a strong, legitimate hit that knocks a player back off his feet - would that be a lift or not?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 11:15
Not really, we've already defined what lifting is to have the current situation. Refs are quite adapt at identifying it. But if you need a definition:

If the tackled player receives a significant upwards momentum from the tackler(s).

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 12:29
If two players lifted a leg each, why only one card and citing?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 12:33
Quote:
jayeatman
If two players lifted a leg each, why only one card and citing?

Was thinking that myself, surely both players are guilty in this case?

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 13:04
Apparently it's the first playear that gets all the blame.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 15:32
I cannot see how 2 players committing the same offence can be "mitigation".

If anything it is the opposite - nobody knows if the act was coordinated, but it could be.

For me - a red for one and yellow for the other.

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 15:42
Quote:
P G Tips
If anything it is the opposite - nobody knows if the act was coordinated, but it could be.

PG

Brian O'Driscoll given his first test experience v All Blacks would agree with you.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 20:13
Maxwell Keys am absolute prawn - it was the clearest straight red ever. If freddie's one was red then this one was off the scale!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

29 November, 2017 20:23
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
P G Tips

PG

Brian O'Driscoll given his first test experience v All Blacks would agree with you.

My thoughts exactly shippers. For me the tackle law is clear enough, you can't move a player's head & shoulders through the horizontal but you can drive them back off their feet and dump them on their backside or knock them off their feet from a sideways tackle. I haven't seen our new #7 tackle anyone illegally yet, players just need to adapt imho...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net