rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

Breaking news on the Rec
30 November, 2017 07:32
Announcement this morning, according to the Chronic.

BBWBaaBaa
BBWBaaBaa (IP Logged)

Re: Breaking news on the Rec
30 November, 2017 07:45

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 07:55
Wow, those are very big, ambitious words - if the design and construction lives up to it then something very special will be happening at the Rec (Sm14)

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 08:02
Good idea to create a new identity/brand for the project and separate it slightly from the rugby and any anti club sentiment.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 08:12
The consultation document is very detailed 100+ pages, it's gonna take sometime to read through and digest.

Current impression is this looks outstanding from the club! I hope they can deliver all they set out to do. What I really like i's they way they are pitching the development, as something for the whole of Bath and not just a rugby stadium focused approach.

The whole sympathetic approach the heritage and site impact is going to be very well received.

I also like the focus on materials / textures for the build have to be in keeping with the surrounding area - no stark metal structures with corrugated roofs for us. Hopefully lovely Bath stone surrounds.

Well done Bath Rugby, this is a very exciting start and I can't wait to see what they come up with in terms of designs.

Salmon

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 08:13
Consultation document

[issuu.com]

Salmon

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 08:23
18,000 stadium.
Exploring surface options, synthetic / part-synthetic / grass
Potential larger in goal areas
Mix of seated and terraces.
As much cover as possible
No temporary stands (I think)

Salmon

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 08:46
As someone who reads stuff like this every day that is a really impressive document.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 09:37
Very well done Tarquin and his team. It looks an exciting and very innovative project of which everyone, including the Bathonian traditionalists, should be very proud and, hopefully, will be sympathetically received. The club has gone out of its way to get as many people as possible on side and should be congratulated.

This project is so very important for the club's future and, hopefully, will ensure Bath Rugby continue to add so much to the wonderful, beautiful city it represents.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 10:11
That is a really substantial and impressive document.

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 10:22
Just hope that they keep to the rec's traditions and maintain the smallest in-goal areas in professional rugby and also ensure that the pitch stays as grass. These synthetic pitches aren't rugby pitches. The weather adds to the game it doesn't detract even though the speed of the game may be hindered. Before we know it union will be played by 15 generic 16 stone muscle men smashing each other to future brain conditions with no competition at the breakdown or set piece - sounds familiar? oh yeah Rugby League.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 10:28
Quote:
BathLad
Just hope that they keep to the rec's traditions and maintain the smallest in-goal areas in professional rugby and also ensure that the pitch stays as grass. These synthetic pitches aren't rugby pitches. The weather adds to the game it doesn't detract even though the speed of the game may be hindered. Before we know it union will be played by 15 generic 16 stone muscle men smashing each other to future brain conditions with no competition at the breakdown or set piece - sounds familiar? oh yeah Rugby League.

Plastic (and hybrid) pitches have been around long enough for us to know that this simply isn't going to happen. Newcastle, for example, have some very big and some teeny little players. IMO the Desso pitches in particular seem to bring a good balance of quality and durability without looking too artificial.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 10:59
Just wait for the protests!
Bath is expert at producing nimbies - doesn't matter what it is, there will be a 'power' group that will object.

'They' saw off Dyson many moons ago.
And look where he is now!
Craig won't give up.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 11:28
"Our ambition has always been to create the most incredible place in the world to watch rugby"

I hope the strong words and the documents are matched by the end product. I worry about an off-the-peg stadium solution with some expensive cafes and a celebrity restaurant by the river may happen. I hope not.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 11:39
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
BathLad

Plastic (and hybrid) pitches have been around long enough for us to know that this simply isn't going to happen. Newcastle, for example, have some very big and some teeny little players. IMO the Desso pitches in particular seem to bring a good balance of quality and durability without looking too artificial.

They are also taking in consideration flooding on the Rec, when looking at the playing surface. Which would point to an artificial or part artifical solution being put in place.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 12:36
Quote:
BathLad
Needless extrapolation - no body is taking your rugby away, no need to worry.

Hybrid seems sensible, keeps the pitch playable but still fundamentally grass and means the stadium can truly be used year round for other sports. Mind you, we still have one of the best surfaces in rugby now that the flooding issues seem resolved, so I can see grass remaining viable.

In goal looks dangerously short to me, so hopefully this does get addressed.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 13:09
[stadiumforbath.com] Stadium or Bath website

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Architect to be Appointed

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 13:26
This is wonderful news indeed, the protests will be numerous and loud!! Time for us to stand up and be counted!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 14:36
No doubt the nimbies will try and bog down the planning process with protest, appeals and legal action.

They've been a bit quiet recently so no doubt this has rattled their cage.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Mike the Taxi

30 November, 2017 15:04
Quote:
BathSalmon
Consultation document
[issuu.com]

Salmon

I have downloaded the 'Exploring the Opportunity' document (5.5Mb .pdf file), as it's easier to read than the link supplied by BathSalmon.
is there any way this can be made available through the Site Navigation - Links list, in the same way as the other subjects in those links (After the Lemons &c)?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 15:07
I would go for a Desso pitch too.

The in goal area is too small and needs increasing, either that or a set of airbags added to the advertising signs.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 15:22
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
Quote:
BathSalmon
Consultation document
[issuu.com]

Salmon

I have downloaded the 'Exploring the Opportunity' document (5.5Mb .pdf file), as it's easier to read than the link supplied by BathSalmon.
is there any way this can be made available through the Site Navigation - Links list, in the same way as the other subjects in those links (After the Lemons &c)?

Have to admit, I downloaded it as well. It's a good read, the club are giving off all the right vibes through it.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 15:52
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
Quote:
BathSalmon
Consultation document
[issuu.com]

Salmon

New link Bath Stadium created.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Mike the Taxi

30 November, 2017 15:59
Thanks CC! Although viewers will still have to download the .pdf, if they want to read the document BathSalmon linked to. I was thinking more on the lines of 'uploading' the .pdf to your link. It does make good reading, and it's noticeable that local residents and residents' groups (Abbey Residents Association and FoBRA) have been included in the consultation.

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 16:19
Yet another plan.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 16:32
The link to the 108 page document is within the link Bath Stadium which is the main site. I think many would prefer the website and have the choice to download the 108 page document.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 17:10
Quote:
rainbow
Yet another plan.

Actually not yet, the plan will be drawn up when the Architect is contracted. He/she will start work in January and I think the aim is to have the final plan after consultation by the end of 2018.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 09:58
Shows we're taking it seriously and have money to splash on some nice glossy pictures of what Bath already looks like. Not sure i find find quite as impressive as some but certainly good news that its moving.

A different view
A different view (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 22:29
Section 7 Accessibility. A couple of thoughts:
1 - What proportion of the Club's non-playing staff have a disability? 16% of working-age adults have a disability. How does the Club compare?
2 - What provision do the Club make on matchdays for those with learning disabilities? There is a great emphasis on physical "Accessibility" in this section, but little that you can hang your hat on in respect of resources to help support those with, or those caring for people with, learning disabilities.

It would be great if the Club could take a real lead on this. Accessability is not just about wheelchair access for supporters, it is about living and breathing accessibility of opportunity to include all those with disabilities, whatever form they take.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 23:16
Excellent point ADV particularly as there more than a few ex-players with a disability, its not only wheelchair access that defines accessibility of course.
Given the physical battering modern players take I would say a fair few will need a bit of help earlier in their lives than they would have wanted.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 10:37
Where do disabled (specifically wheelchair bound) supporters sit these days? Do hope they are not put in a corner somewhere with limited views? They used in long far off uneconomic days sit right on the touchline in front of West Stand.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
Garbageman (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 11:24
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Where do disabled (specifically wheelchair bound) supporters sit these days? Do hope they are not put in a corner somewhere with limited views? They used in long far off uneconomic days sit right on the touchline in front of West Stand.

There's a section in the south stand, prime spot under cover and central in front of the bar

malco
malco (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 12:21
Just to say, I participated in the accessibility workshops and prepared a presentation on the findings of the working group which I delivered back to the club. I was a little cynical when I was invited to do this but I have to say that I have been very extremely encouraged at how it was received and have no doubt about the commitment of the club to make the new arena as accessible as possible to as wide a range of disabled people as possible. The section in the consultation document is pretty much verbatim from the finding of the working group. The working group was made up of people with a very wide range of disabilities, including physical and mental impairments, wheelchair bound, blind and deaf people. The club took great care in inviting people and encouraging them to participate and I know they are committed to making the Rec a model for future development that features the best accessibility standards available anywhere.

MESSAGES->author
liquidmonkey (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 08:09
Quote:
Garbageman
Quote:
annie blackthorn

There's a section in the south stand, prime spot under cover and central in front of the bar

There is also a section next to the goal line in the west stand.

The measure may be thought bold, but I am of the opinion the boldest are the safest.
Horatio Nelson

Adopted players:
2017-18 Freddie Burns
2016-17 Nick Auterac
2015-16 Guy Mercer
2014-15 Juan Pablo Orlandi

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 08:21
Quote:
malco
Just to say, I participated in the accessibility workshops and prepared a presentation on the findings of the working group which I delivered back to the club. I was a little cynical when I was invited to do this but I have to say that I have been very extremely encouraged at how it was received and have no doubt about the commitment of the club to make the new arena as accessible as possible to as wide a range of disabled people as possible. The section in the consultation document is pretty much verbatim from the finding of the working group. The working group was made up of people with a very wide range of disabilities, including physical and mental impairments, wheelchair bound, blind and deaf people. The club took great care in inviting people and encouraging them to participate and I know they are committed to making the Rec a model for future development that features the best accessibility standards available anywhere.

Well, that at least has cheered me up, just want to see some similar impressive stuff on the pitch

A different view
A different view (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 21:07
Quote:
malco

Malco, thank you for not only the reply but also for participating in the workshops. This is encouraging and I hope that, collectively, supporters can keep the Club's feet to the fire on disability and accessibility issues.

Mike the Taxi

19 December, 2017 12:24
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Bath Rugby Bring in Technology Expert

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 13:27
That is such a sensible approach, will it extend to wifi everywhere I wonder?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 13:39
I just hope whatever they do works well. It's not rocket science but it would good if :

- Wifi worked well throughout the Stadium
- You could get a 3G/4G signal to contact the outside world
- You can see the big screen (not just the top 2 feet of it)
- You can hear PA announcements
- You can see the pitch, I repeat, all of the pitch
- You were able to stay relatively dry
- You can get a sausage roll (preferably without Chorizo in it), a pint, and have a pee all within the half time break
- You were able to easily resell your ticket if not able to go

I'd also like a some kind of 'tractor beam' to be able to influence the game to Bath's benefit whenever Tiggers, Glaws, Pests, Saints, Sarries, Exe, Brizzle etc were just about to score. In fact, strike off the earlier list, I'd just like this feature please Mr Craig.(Sm122)

Omba
Omba (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 14:06
It says that this chap transformed the customer experience for West Ham fan, they may beg to differ

Bathovalballer

19 December, 2017 14:47
I apologise for my ignorance, but does his salary come out of the salary cap, or is that just applicable to the players, coaches and Academy staff and players? Are the executive of the club outside it as well?

Does the cap also include benefits, like pension contributions, National Insurance, cars, expenses and provision of living accommodation etc?

I never did know and would welcome being enlightened.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 14:50
I think the cap only applies to playing staff, and not coaches.

Stopsy
Stopsy (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 14:54
I like it that seeing the pitch comes 5th on your list, surely the fare cannot be that bad. patented the Tractor beam idea.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 14:59
Quote:
Beergoggles
I just hope whatever they do works well. It's not rocket science but it would good if :
You can get a sausage roll (preferably without Chorizo in it), a pint, and have a pee all within the half time break

So you want some sort of hot food vending urinal with a beer tap on the top? If there was a TV screen at eye level as well like in some posh nightclub I would never leave.

Dragons Den here we come, this time next year Rodders...

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 17:56
Could they run the play and TMO replays over the stadium WiFi? That way you could just look at your phone to see them. And there would be lots of juicy advertising opportunities.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Mike the Taxi

19 December, 2017 18:50
If you can't decide from a 25ft pitch-side screen, you will find it even more difficult on an iPhone (even a Galaxy X)!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 18:54
I'd argue that a more useful thing would be to put the question up on the big screen too - maybe even subtitle the conversation whilst it's up there (though I would agree that streaming it to mobiles would also be a good call, and disagree that it'd be harder to see)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author

19 December, 2017 18:58
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
If you can't decide from a 25ft pitch-side screen, you will find it even more difficult on an iPhone (even a Galaxy X)!

I'd argue that most people have already made their minds up before they see the replays. This just gives us all a chance to boo the TMO in unison smiling smiley

But it would start to pave the way for VR casting of the games live - not that I have any interest in that, what with being 10,000 miles away and all.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 19:04
Keep the focus on great, winning rugby - that's the best way to positive customer experience

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 21:11
Quote:
joethefanatic
Could they run the play and TMO replays over the stadium WiFi? That way you could just look at your phone to see them. And there would be lots of juicy advertising opportunities.

Not so sure about that, after a try lots of little blue light up faces checking their phones. Lets leave it on a screen we can all see is best I think.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 22:23
I hope we don't end up with technology just for the sake of it or we could end up with the rugby equivalent of teenagers walking along the street with their heads buried in their phones.

If it adds something then OK.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 22:50
Hoist the big screen up in the air another 10 feet so we can see it and that will be enough technology for me.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 December, 2017 22:55
Quote:
Beergoggles
Hoist the big screen up in the air another 10 feet so we can see it and that will be enough technology for me.

Surely if we hoist you 10 feet in the air it would solve the screen and visibility issues at the same time?

Bathovalballer

19 December, 2017 22:58
We don't need any pictures on a mobile, just need a good well positioned screen, not one that is affected by the 'cold' (what a load of b------s), and a decent clear worded PA system with an announcer who just does what it says on the tin, announces, not trying (dismally) to whip the crowd into a type of frenzy. ( And kill forever that b----- trumpet) Lets do the obvious and what is needed well, like walking, before trying to run, and not do things that most fans are unlikely to use or want. Remember the acronym, KISS, keep it simple stupid.

Anything additional in technology or something else, will come at a cost. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Do you want to pay more for pictures on your mobiles for watching Bath play rugby?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 December, 2017 07:07
Quote:
Omba
It says that this chap transformed the customer experience for West Ham fan, they may beg to differ

Quite so - it will take more than a bit of technology to overcome the perceived downside to many of moving to the Olympic Stadium. The best way of reversing that is for us to get back to winning & hopefully the recent improvement will be continued at Newcastle (Sm122)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 December, 2017 08:18
Newcastle on 27th Jan or 16th Feb? Iím hoping for a bit quicker than that!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 December, 2017 16:52
Newcastle United as Iím sure you realise (Sm101)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 December, 2017 18:39
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Newcastle United as Iím sure you realise (Sm101)

Yes sorry was being annoying, however as I'm a NUFC fan (for my sins) I do hope that the result goes the way of the Toon.

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)

20 December, 2017 21:51
Me and the youngest lad taking up a full page on pg 6.

I should have royalties at this rate!

J

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

21 December, 2017 08:44
Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Me and the youngest lad taking up a full page on pg 6.
I should have royalties at this rate!

Eh ?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 December, 2017 09:05
I had assumed that it was him with child on shoulders on the 6th page of the 'exploring the journey' report (page before contents)?

If so, good pic!

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)

21 December, 2017 16:35
Quote:
BathMatt53
I had assumed that it was him with child on shoulders on the 6th page of the 'exploring the journey' report (page before contents)?
If so, good pic!

Certainly is a great pic. Itís me and my youngest lad. We seem to be on every bit of marketing.

I got in touch with the club and they sent me a nice copy signed by the whole squad, which was great. Reminds me, I need to get it framed and up on the wee guys wall. We are also on the ticket office window, season ticket campaigns and the Clash advertising.

J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/12/2017 16:36 by ChippenhamRoman.

Bathovalballer

21 December, 2017 17:36
Bloomimng heck! I didn't know we had such a media star in our midst! I feel honored he writes on the same 'board' as myself.

Hope the Club have paid you the usual fee plus royalties for each use of the photos. If not, and you want an agent, Mr 10-30%, let me know.

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

22 December, 2017 14:16
I feel a challenge to my media presence.

I've been demoted to page 107.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 14:19 by trikidiki.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 08:32
Lead Architects announced for the Stadium development Offy

David Sisi Adopted player 2016/17

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 08:43
Tarquin was just on Radio 4 as part of the announcement today. Didn't offer much more than we already know and the architects chosen. I'd recommend having a look through their work on their site however. As someone with only a passing interest in design, they have been involved in some really attractive projects IMO.

Also, I think Justin Webb must have a big influence on the amount of coverage Bath gets on Today-the amount of air time we get in comparison to other Premiership sides (zilch) is colossal!

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 08:51 by HugoBoss.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 09:30
I hope for a unique stadium, but worry that costs may see a more practical Saints or Parc y Scarlets type thing. It would be a shame.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 09:34
I think they'll be as creative with design as they can.

After decades of trying, I don't think any development can really be classified as 'a shame'. This is fantastic news. Another small but significant step in the right direction.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 09:49
Its the centre of a world heritage city, there is zero chance that anything other than a stadium which befits this status will receive planning approval. If costs were an issue they wouldn't have enlisted one of the top architecture firms to design something for no doubt a huge stack of cash.

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:07
Any idea when we'll see drawings/artist impressions? Will they appear alongside the app, or will they put out a few teasers beforehand?

Good little publicity campaign pre-submission though, making all the right noises before the Council have anything to look at.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:32
This is a more entertaining update if you read the appointed organisations as individuals and see Tarqin as Head Teacher complete with cane and mortar board ... not to much of a stretch of the imagination given the number of time he refers to himself in these updates "the project team, led by myself and ....".

"Right then, listen up chaps. Grimshaw's got the main gig and is going to be in charge, Kay Elliot's going to do interiors and cushions, Gross Max is sorting out the river frontage and plumbing. We'll be consulting with you all shortly and then we'll tell you all what I've decided."

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:37
For anyone wondering whether the cost, management resources, time and focus could, in any way, have diverted from the playing side, just have a read through of the team that has been assembled - that is some serious overhead cost and investment that has gone on already. Yes - it would be ideal if we were also top of the table, but if we can stay in the top 6 for a couple more years, and this team can, in the mean time, deliver on their vision, then, in 5 years' time, this could be the finest rugby club in the world, with phenomenal benefits for the city as a whole:

"Itís about delivering a new home for Bath Rugby, regenerating the riverside in the heart of Bath, and creating wider sporting and city benefits, building a brilliant legacy for all.Itís about providing world-class facilities and an amazing place to watch rugby.Itís about a design solution which both celebrates and complements Bath, and which ensures that Bath Rugby continues to be a source of pride and inspiration for the city. Itís a place that will become a catalyst for helping Bath Rugby Foundation deliver wider sporting and community benefits; focusing in particular on empowering young people to succeed in life."

It's been a long, long haul for Bruce, who came in assuming that all of the delays were down to a lack of expertise and commitment from the previous regime, and that he was going to simply blast the new stadium through. That he's stuck with it, and the above vision is now realistically within touching distance should make any Bath Rugby fan and Bathonian phenomenally grateful. Personally, I'm going to stick with positively supporting the team on the pitch and watch with interest how the Stadium for Bath develops.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:42
Quote:
HugoBoss
Tarquin was just on Radio 4 as part of the announcement today. Didn't offer much more than we already know and the architects chosen. I'd recommend having a look through their work on their site however. As someone with only a passing interest in design, they have been involved in some really attractive projects IMO.
Also, I think Justin Webb must have a big influence on the amount of coverage Bath gets on Today-the amount of air time we get in comparison to other Premiership sides (zilch) is colossal!

One thing from the Radio 4 interview that Tarquin said was that commercially an out "of town stadium" was preferable. He reiterated that the stadium was not only for rugby but every one and it was mentioned showcasing the river was important.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:52
...so some sort of brook flowing along the half way line and a ha-ha for each try line? They need to get me on board as an 'ideas man' ASAP.

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:52
The NIMBYs would love some of the designs on the Grimshaw website.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 10:59
Gilson and his minions will be having fits over this, wait for the wave of moaning to££ers to come out the woodwork.

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:00
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PrzhnTWe_2E/WWR7QQCxocI/AAAAAAAAD84/EUURxtzAdFkKsEMyZJ9eOHldxhQwlrnNwCLcBGAs/s1600/Shanghai-Disneyland-01.jpg

They'll be having kittens

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:04
"One thing from the Radio 4 interview that Tarquin said was that commercially an out "of town stadium" was preferable."

Other than the construction cost, did he say why?

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:13
Trikidiki. 🤗🤗🤗

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:15
How do you use emojis?? I wanted to applaud T for his great pic.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:25
Quote:
DanWiley
"One thing from the Radio 4 interview that Tarquin said was that commercially an out "of town stadium" was preferable."
Other than the construction cost, did he say why?

My thoughts exactly but he didn't say, seemed to imply that that was the norm? Construction costs would normally include land of course which doesn't apply here. There are slightly greater costs building in cities because of access of course. But I did wonder the same thing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:33
Space and lack of constraints on out of town development I would have thought. After all, you can just roll in the machinery and crack on if there is a plot in the middle of nowhere. Try piling next to the river without shaking the weir to pieces. Access, materials (i.e. corrugated cladding is right out I would assume), construction hours, environmental monitoring for dust, noise and vibration. Then you can add a load of other units to the ground and sell / hire these on if you wish.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:41
I can, perhaps, see it in that if we went to junction 17 for example, we'd get a lot of land and get it approved for development and then sell much of that land on to a retail development group which would offset the cost of the stadium. Basically what we're selling there is the permission to build retail on that land on the grounds that its got a recreation facility on it, I don't really see they'd pay much for having a stadium next door. I can't really see "us" building and running such investments, and if we did you'd have to ask what element of this is really "Bath Rugby" anymore? I'm not really convinced it works like that though. It all comes under a cheaper build for me though rather than a long term commercial benefit.

In terms of facilities that we might actually get a long term benefit from, conferencing etc, whilst you might get smaller facilities on the rec, they'd be considerably more valuable (not to mention unique) I'd have thought.

Perhaps its just a warning to say "well, we could still clear off, it might be in our interests."

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:57
They could use the water in a way a bit like this:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3c2bd8ee4372ef80f75b049e17bdbaa8-c

Mike the Taxi

10 January, 2018 12:50
That's Singapore, cb2, isn't it?

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 12:59
Yes. Maybe it would work in Bath? The away fans could have the riverside facilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 13:00 by cb2.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 15:34
Wow, that appointment is a hell of a statement, and will necessitate a hell of a budget as well. These are the guys giving Wimbledon a make-over, who did the main stand at Lord's, did Bath Spa. They're not likely to take on a brief with a measley budget, and they have a good history in Sport and a good history in Bath.

Makes me very optimistic that we'll get something genuinely interesting, and sounds like highlighting the Riverside will be very important too!

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 16:24
Intelligent move to use a company with experience of dealing with Bath council and sporting venue architecture.

Expect a sympathetic design that enhances the riverside and certainly something better than the sports centre monstrosity (although that's not difficult).

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author

10 January, 2018 18:01
I am very excited by this. If it's REALLY nice, I'll move back to Bath.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 23:52
Quote:
Which Tyler
Wow, that appointment is a hell of a statement, and will necessitate a hell of a budget as well. These are the guys giving Wimbledon a make-over, who did the main stand at Lord's, did Bath Spa. They're not likely to take on a brief with a measley budget, and they have a good history in Bath.

I thought the construction of the thermal baths was beset with problems & ran massively over budget but maybe that wasnít down to the architects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 23:53 by Bath Hammer.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 09:18
I think people are underestimating how costs play such an important part in the plans.

I would love the entrance to be like this:

http://www.aviewoncities.com/img/sf/kveus4780s.jpg

but dread we might end up with this:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redandwhitekop.com%2Fimages%2Fgrounds%2Freadingground1.jpg&hash=fae54caa6512dcb41752e0a6629c0ba1

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 09:26
No we won't. Costs will play very a minor part, particularly in relation to the visual aspect of the scheme. Do you honestly think that the Council, or a planning Inspector (or the Secretary of State) would allow anything which would prejudice the World Heritage Status of the only entire city on the UNESCO list?

[www.unesco.org.uk]

If it were at Junction 17 I would agree, but next to Pulteney Weir? Slightly less than zero chance of anything not 100% awesome.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 09:31
"Slightly less than zero chance of anything not 100% awesome."

Whilst I agree we won't be able to put anything like the second picture there, I think you faith in bath planning might be slightly optimistic. It has in the past been quite happy with some... interesting architecture.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 09:38
A bit further out maybe Dan (like the new Casino and the Riverside carbuncle) but not in that location. I work in the planning area so know the pressures etc. but it just wouldn't happen.

The balance between mock Roman and ultra modern (or a hybrid of both) will obviously be the conundrum - the Colosseum (the original one) meets the van der Rohe Barcelona Pavilion...but lets face it whatever they choose will be moaned at.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 09:51
Well, I'm at a lost to see how the sports centre got built then because, with the best will in the world, I can't imagine anyone describing that as "100% awesome".

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 09:55
Because it was built in 1975 when people were more worried about the end of the Vietnam War and the election of Margaret Thatcher as leader of the Conservative Party than whether things looked nice and were complaint with Local Plan Policy etc.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 10:23
....also Bath got its World Heritage Status in 1987 long after these "monstrosities" were built!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 10:25
Quote:
DanWiley
Well, I'm at a lost to see how the sports centre got built then because, with the best will in the world, I can't imagine anyone describing that as "100% awesome".

Built in 1975, so probably started construction in, say, 1973, was designed in 1971 - 47 years ago. Anyone in the planning department who had anything to do with approving it would have been a minimum of, say, 30 years old then. They would now, therefore, be 77 years old. I'm going to have an absolutely wild guess and say that they are either retired or dead.

The city has taken a considerable turn for the better in the last 15 years - the Holburne museum extension is even better than the Spa, and, as a practice, Grimshaw wouldn't go anywhere near a brief that would offer them the showcase of one of the country's most sensitive and iconic parcels of land and then roll out a brownfield distribution centre.

SteveCh
SteveCh (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 10:53
OK, Opti, some good and interesting stuff has been proposed and been approved. But there again, you get Riverside - slab sided, featureless blocks with roof lines totally out of keeping with the general surrounding area. Adding something to break up the featureless facades isn't a budget breaker and mansarding the roofs of the penthouse flats wouldn't either.

I don't have a lot of faith in our current crop of planners having sufficient understanding of what they are looking at in plan form and how it will look in reality (not how the nice glossies say they might look like....). Given the site, it's physical constrains and this isn't a totally 'commercial' development, we stand a good chance of getting something a bit more special.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 10:55
I think you could move the same argument on 35 years to the redeveloped Southgate shopping centre. Its inoffensive and a massive improvement over the old Southgate but I'm not sure you'd get many takers for 100% awesome.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net