rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: Breaking news on the Rec
11 January, 2018 10:55
As far as it seems to me, anyone with any aesthetic or artistic talent spent the late sixties/early seventies getting high and having fun. Which left those with neither to do things like design Stevenage Town Centre:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/02/93/029369_a28cf551.jpg

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 11:05
Southgate has been designed to a very clear brief - mixed use, functional and inoffensive. As Opti says, the Rec brief will be closer to the Holbourne, otherwise you wouldn’t spend that sort of money on an architect.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 11:44
But there your confusing the club design brief with what planning will allow. I could quite believe planning will allow something functional and inoffensive. I actually think the sports centre does come under that.

I know some people who think the Holborn is a horrible extension. I'd say, striking, but not 100% awesome.

The bus-o-metre. I'll just leave that there.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 11:49
Anyone got a ballpark figure on how much it will cost to build something special? The 90,000 seater Wembley stadium cost £798m to build. The Madjeski (24,000) cost £81.3m when adjusted for inflation, according to Mirror Sport.

According to Wikipedia - On 20 February 2008 Leicester Tigers received planning consent for the £60million redevelopment of their Welford Road home. The stadium has a capacity of 25,849.

Whilst ours will be smaller than the Madjeski and Welford Road, will the requirement for that extra special element drive costs up?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 11:59
I am confusing nothing! Planning will only allow something visually top drawer in that location. The design brief will ask for something visually top drawer in that location. Those architects are capable of producing something visually top drawer in that location. The Bath Rugby mission statement asks for the same - even the brand of the Stadium for Bath project is 'creating something exceptional in the heart of Bath' and pages 70 and 71 state that due to the unique setting they require a 'special design approach'.

In relation to the Holbourne, it is generally recognised as being architecturally excellent:

[www.holburne.org]

That you know people who don't like it doesn't really make the point that its poor? Those are probably the people who wanted a seamless extension to the existing building - doing something different will always make the traditionalists a bit salty.

..but Eric Parry did take seven-years to achieve planning permission!

I don't get how there can be any negativity around this when all that has been announced is that a top architects firm has been appointed? I can't wait to see what they come up with personally.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:03
"could quite believe planning will allow something functional and inoffensive"

No - they won't. They are not stupid - and by referencing a building from nearly 50 years ago to support your notion, you betray that your views have not been updated.

And - even if the planning department would, hypothetically, allow something 'functional and inoffensive', Grimshaw simply aren't going to propose something functional and inoffensive - they are not that sort of practice. And Bruce would have to be an absolute moron to appoint Grimshaw to design something functional and inoffensive - like buying a diamond-encrusted sledgehammer to crack a nut.

And, as for the bus-o-metre, i've personally got nothing against it. It fits well into the space, it does its job. I like the shape, and the materials don't offend me at all. The Western Riverside development is pretty disappointing, i'll grant you - but the site is of infinitesimal importance in comparison to the Rec. Grimshaw are perfectly aware that this commission is going to be massively high-profile and visible - the reputational opportunity is probably more valuable than the fees.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:09
Well, if nothing else, because 100% awesome is pretty subjective.

But on another tack, do you consider the drawings that were issued some years back 100% awesome? Presumably, they were at least credible planning options? Yet I'd say, whilst nice, they were more towards the inoffensive end of things.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtxdC_8c_YAhXFYVAKHRh4A30QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.southwestbusiness.co.uk%2Fnews%2F13032015102211-ground-for-hope-as-rec-decision-looms-on-bath-rugbys-business-plan%2F&psig=AOvVaw3o-hhOeankw6hSuKCycpgY&ust=1515759268837754

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:10
ok, that link didn't work, try this

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:23
For a start, I didn't introduce the sentence, '...slightly less than zero chance of anything not 100% awesome'.

But, yes, that design has some potential. However, it's not even a planning application. It's a very broad concept, from which the Club and the Rec Trust have moved on significantly. There have been loads of these back-of-a-fag-packet designs over the last 20 years, usually aimed at giving some sort of focal point for consultation.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:31
I used it, but didn't realise it would be forensically examined! I just meant 'as good as its possible to design a sports stadium in the centre of Bath'. Something of which we as a club can be proud. When tourists come to Bath they say...wow, that Pulteney Weir looks nice.

The drawings from before were from a different company and they were binned as a result? Bath Rugby weren't happy with them and that is presumably why they have gone all out this time. The design process (and stated aim) seems to have moved on from 'good' to 'the best'. If Carlsberg designed a stadium...

Anyway, lets wait and see what they come up with and lets hope it is completed faster than la sagrada familia.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 13:11
Whatever happened to the 'Colosseum on the Rec' picture that appeared on 'Ere a few years ago?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 13:42
We are in a different ball game since the previous design and the two exhibitions. The Court of Appeal decision means no temp East Stand necessary and it is likely that we will now get much more of the 25% of the Rec than we now occupy. I guess this will ensure getting more people in a wider space and not having to go higher than we do at the moment. The fact that World Heritage has recognised contemporary architecture like Holburne and the Bus Station is great news for us and hopefully shut up people line Ken Loach!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:14
Joined up thinking would mean the sports center and the weir and sluice area (also built in the 1970s) be included in the scheme

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:21
Quote:
jayeatman
Joined up thinking would mean the sports center and the weir and sluice area (also built in the 1970s) be included in the scheme

Unfortunately not - that was the original idea but the sports centre lease was renewed for another 50 years fairly recently (2016?)

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:29
I know its stating the obvious, but it is just so important to get this development right. It won't be like, as an example, the Holborne extension at all - this is now tucked away behind the original building, cannot be seen from Gt Pult St or anywhere else. It is a great asset to the cultural side of living in Bath. The new stadium will be bang slap in the middle of an area very visible to all and it is soooooooo critical to get it right. Even more imvho than the 'Bath Spa Project' building.

I can't get that worked up about it, as at the present rate of progress I will be long gone by the time its finished. (and thus past caring). All I know is that I have non-sporting at all longtime normally intelligent Bath friends who are already getting themselves worked up about it - even to the extent they believe that because I have a season ticket I have direct access to Bruce Craig and Nicholas Grimshaw himself. Heyho!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 15:01
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
jayeatman

Unfortunately not - that was the original idea but the sports centre lease was renewed for another 50 years fairly recently (2016?)

There's not much anyone can do with the external appearance of this carbuncle (aside from razing it to the ground), but the Rec Trust have poured quite a bit of money into developing the facilities beyond the main public area. There are new classrooms, changing rooms, physio rooms which should help Bath Rugby and other community groups.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 15:25
Quote:
DanWiley
Well, I'm at a lost to see how the sports centre got built then because, with the best will in the world, I can't imagine anyone describing that as "100% awesome".

Shame the plan can't include tearing the sports centre dreadful building down and putting up something that actually enhances the view of the city.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net