rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Current Page: 3 of 11

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Re: Transfer rumours
08 December, 2017 20:59
And he's got decent gas.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

08 December, 2017 21:24
Tom Heathcote wasn’t given a fair run when he was here. They signed an unfit Donald who pretty much did nothing in the shirt and at that time Tom was our best 10.
Left out of the match day squad until he left...
(Another legacy of Mr Ford)

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

08 December, 2017 21:37
Quote:
Widcombe Boy
(Another legacy of Mr Ford)

To be totally fair it was Geech who signed an unfit, disinterested Donald, then played him despite the evidence. The same way he dropped Woodburn (who showed real early potential) when the big names returned post World Cup.
Their disenchantment possibly started with Geech not Ford.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 06:29
I am most definitely worried about why we are losing Tapuai after such a short time , particularly as it took ages to get hold of him, and where we are going to find replacements in the centre & back 3. We eventually managed to recruit Taps & Fruean after a long wait & this year couldn’t sign anyone apart from a couple of Academy guys from Leeds. We were left with plugging gaps with whoever was looking for a job. Bearing in mind that Watson & Joseph, who can’t be over used, are likely to still be with England the cupboard looks bare & there are no convincing rumours, just wishful thinking.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 10:20
Donald was certainly a panic buy when Carter failed to materialise.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 13:45
Tap thing is peculiar in my view (from the chimney pot - second left).
Where is the story from?
Why would he want to go?
Is this because we actually do have a monster signed and he thinks, ok then I'm off?

SQUAWK

PS Also v happy with Lewis playing any time, streets better than any of Heathcote, Hastings, Jennings.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 13:57
As is mostly the case, I would guess that it comes down to cash? Quins should have a fair few bob freed up when Roberts goes back over the bridge.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 14:02
He came here because did £££ not love for the club; he also had us over a barrel during negotiations, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we paid over the odds for him. He's now be so ply looking for the biggest contract he can get, in which, I don't blame him in the slightest - nor I blame us if we're don't want to continue paying over the odds - especially as we're increasing squad size from MFord's days, meaning that average wages HAVE to decrease.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

malco
malco (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 14:04
I have heard that Tapuai simply doesn’t fit with the way the coaches want us to play. They want a more physical 12 to get over the gain line, be a defensive wall and offload late in contact.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 14:10
That’s a shame, I think that he really adds something a bit different (and exciting). I understand that salary cap is at a premium but it’s nice to have different options.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 14:28
Quote:
BathMatt53
That’s a shame, I think that he really adds something a bit different (and exciting). I understand that salary cap is at a premium but it’s nice to have different options.

I agree. He adds both physicality and distribution skills. His top speed is pretty good but his acceleration is a real bother for defences. Hope it's just a rumour and nothing more!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 15:39
Quote:
malco
I have heard that Tapuai simply doesn’t fit with the way the coaches want us to play. They want a more physical 12 to get over the gain line, be a defensive wall and offload late in contact.

So... Ben Te'o then.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 16:00
Yes, they want a physical 12 who can play for his country or sit in the treatment room on a regular basis.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 16:35
Odd especially at Tapuia gets over the gain line with great regularity.
Not many offloads from him though because of the position he takes to make the yards I guess.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

by
by (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 17:02
There were reports that we were chasing Nadolo last season, I think this is the last year he has on his contract with Montpellier and hes mentioned that he wants to give the premiership another go. Replacement for Banahan? Or put him in at 12?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 17:04
Quote:
by
There were reports that we were chasing Nadolo last season, I think this is the last year he has on his contract with Montpellier and hes mentioned that he wants to give the premiership another go. Replacement for Banahan? Or put him in at 12?

Yes please!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 17:40
Quote:
hasta
Quote:
malco

So... Ben Te'o then.

No thanks, how many times has he actually played for Worcs this season?

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 17:50
The threads on T’eo on the worcs forum should tell us all we need to know - they wouldn’t appear at all bothered if he moved on, from what I can tell.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 17:53
Nadolo would be unbelievable and fulfils marquee criteria. Are faletau and flouw our marquees?

sid the seagull

09 December, 2017 19:01
So people, distilling your wisdom.
We're paying Taps too much for what we want.
The mystery is: if he's defo off?
That would suggest those boots are already filled, whichis proposition 1.
Proposition 2 is, where is the story from, is it a story, or dross?

HOPHOPHOP

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 19:37
Re Nadolo unfortunately I think the rumour we were looking to sign him started on this board after it was noted he had suggested he'd like to play in the peen again, and had links to Blackadder from his time at the Crusaders. I don't think we were ever actually looking to sign him.

That being said he almost a like for like replacement for Banners in terms of playing style. And if he's out of contract I hope we at least try to sign him if we can.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 11:39
The Rugby Paoer today suggests that they may bid for Toby Faletau at the end of this season with a bid of £500k to release him a year early - the same fee that Dragons will not be able to afford!

Interestingly during the Sky coverage of games yesterday, Dan Biggar was asked if he knew what Rhys and Toby thought of their time at Bath.

He said ‘they are both loving it and have a lot of time and respect for Todd’

Not the kind of comment that makes you think TF will want to move on early!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:13
Who is 'they'?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:33

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:44
ah, this one then?

[www.ruck.co.uk]

Toulon offering £880k per year if reports are to be believed.

(Vermeulen back to Stormers at the end of the season)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 12:50 by BathMatt53.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:50
Quote:
BathMatt53
ah, this one then?
[www.ruck.co.uk]

Toulon offering £880k per year if reports are to be believed.

Bit strange to be injuring a player you are interested in?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 13:18
Aren't Toulon very touchy about players wanting to play internationally?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 13:29
Yes they weren’t too happy about 1/2p.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:04
Perhaps TF could negotiate a release clause for the Wales internationals! (Sm159)

by
by (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:22
With Mercer coming through it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the money and spend elsewhere. Though I think we are in a strong position to keep Faletau given the distance to Wales, the fact we have honoured his international release clause and Biggar's comments.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 15:16
Quote:
Hamptonite
The Rugby Paoer today suggests that they may bid for Toby Faletau at the end of this season with a bid of £500k to release him a year early - the same fee that Dragons will not be able to afford!
Interestingly during the Sky coverage of games yesterday, Dan Biggar was asked if he knew what Rhys and Toby thought of their time at Bath.

He said ‘they are both loving it and have a lot of time and respect for Todd’

Not the kind of comment that makes you think TF will want to move on early!

Sorry, everyone! ‘They’ meant Toulon!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 15:53
Quote:
by
With Mercer coming through it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the money and spend elsewhere. Though I think we are in a strong position to keep Faletau given the distance to Wales, the fact we have honoured his international release clause and Biggar's comments.

Disagree, ZM is a hugely talented kid but IMO still miles away from Faletau etc. We would need a top class 8 marquee replacement for at least a couple of years before ZM could cover that loss.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 08:48
This similar story on Ruck is complete Bull***t.

[www.ruck.co.uk]

"As a number of leading Welsh player have also found in the past, the grass isn't always greener outside of Wales."

I am sorry but if Taulupe Faletau is enjoying his rugby less playing for Bath than he was getting hammered every week and not competing in the slightest at the Dragons then he's an idiot. Whoever the mystery 'source' is in this story they are on another planet.

Faletau has been brilliant for us and has to be enjoying his time at Bath more than playing for the whipping boys of the Pro14!! I know they have a bit of money now compared to a few years ago but he is playing in a quality pack with some British and Irish Lions compatriots in the backs. Not to mention there are a number of his countrymen here as well in Brew, Charteris, Andrews and Priestland too.

Whomever writes these rugby rumour stories needs to get some actual facts before they post trash like this.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

by
by (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:12
It might have been that he was unhappy at first but it’s hard to believe he’s in unhappy now, backed up by Biggar’s comments over the weekend.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:36
There is surely a difference between being unhappy and being offered an eye-watering sum of cash to run around in the south of France? Besides, even if its true he hasn't commented - it doesn't seem that odd that, with Vermuelen leaving, Toulon will be drawing up a shortlist of potential replacements? The rugby paper rumour goes no further than that...

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:44
Any player offered cash to go and play in the south of France would be daft not to seriously consider it.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 16:02
I would be really surprised if he was interested, he has strong family links with S Wales that are manageable from Bath but certainly not from Toulon.

Toulon are regularly linked with any decent player around, it could be Billy V, Hughes or next week.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 18:35
Latest from Chron is Taps trying to sort out extension, wants to stay.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 18:41
Quote:
hasta

That would be welcome news indeed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 18:44
Based on an interview post-Toulon.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 18:46
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
hasta

That would be welcome news indeed.

+1

I know I've said previously that I'd love us to sign a dynamic centre with size (even Te'o), but I'd much rather hang on to Taps as he has been a good signing and you can see why he has international caps when he's at his best. However if malco is correct and management doesn't think he suits the game plan I have a feeling we won't see an extension.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 19:35
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Taps Chronic article

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 20:08
I don't really understand Malco's comment to be honest, its not as though TB inherited Tapuai, he actively signed him so how can he not be in his plans, unless they have changed their plans drastically recently.

I'm also not that sure this rumour is that strong seems that no-one has been able to confirm it either. Hope he stays!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 21:33
How about keep him and sign another type of centre. The big bruising type. It's hardly outrageous to have 4 centres on the books. Especially as one is away so often.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 21:39
Well if Banners really is leaving we do need one unless Wilson is going to cover it as he has been a few times this season. Brew would be needed on the wing so he can’t do it.

malco
malco (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 22:16
Coaches do not sign players. Nor do they negotiate contracts with existing players. They will tell the management team if there is a specific player they want or if they want to keep or release a player coming to the end of their contract. The club management takes care of player acquisition and retention, not the coaching team.

Banahan is a significant example of this. Blackadder has told the management team he wants to keep him. The management team holds the purse strings. It is they who decide how much budget to allocate a player and what they can negotiate with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 22:18 by malco.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 22:59
A Director of Rugby must have more say than that?! Mike Ford seemed to dictate who he wanted and how much.

malco
malco (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 23:06
Quote:
@Hydor18
A Director of Rugby must have more say than that?! Mike Ford seemed to dictate who he wanted and how much.

Mike Ford was given free reign and that lead to his favourite cabal of players getting contracts which were fundamentally unaffordable. That’s why we ended up with such a small squad and so many hacked off players leaving because they couldn’t get game time and were offered much more by other clubs. Allegedly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 23:07 by malco.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 09:23
To put a couple of your posts together malco are we to understand that the coaches have recommended no contract extension to the management for Tapuai as he does not fit the playing style they are looking for? Or have I misunderstood? How likely do you reckon it is that he's moving on from what you've heard/been told?

malco
malco (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 09:48
Quote:
BathBurger
To put a couple of your posts together malco are we to understand that the coaches have recommended no contract extension to the management for Tapuai as he does not fit the playing style they are looking for? Or have I misunderstood? How likely do you reckon it is that he's moving on from what you've heard/been told?

I’m not saying that. I have been told that the preference of the coaches is for a different type of 12. That doesn’t necessarily mean that Tapuai has no future at the club. He came here because the cupboard was bare, we needed a good 12, it was very late to be negotiating, there weren’t many players available and he was. As a result he was in a strong negotiating position. Now that his contract is expiring he is not in such a strong position and the coaches are settled and have had time to go shopping for priority players. It depends on whether they have found someone who fits their preferred mould, how the cap looks and whether Tapuai is happy to play as a squad player rather than a first pick. I think Max Clark will start ahead of him at 12 next season and for the foreseeable future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 09:48 by malco.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 09:55
I see! Thanks malco, very much appreciated.

sid the seagull

12 December, 2017 10:12
Manure

HOP

malco
malco (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 10:50
Quote:
sid the seagull
Manure
HOP

Guano.

Skip.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 11:16
Harry Mallinder is a big 12...

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 11:16
Quote:
Malco
... whether Tapuai is happy to play as a squad player rather than a first pick. I think Max Clark will start ahead of him at 12 next season and for the foreseeable future.

Bonkers, completely and utterly stark raving bonkers (IMHO of course).

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 11:18
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Malco
... whether Tapuai is happy to play as a squad player rather than a first pick. I think Max Clark will start ahead of him at 12 next season and for the foreseeable future.

It’s quite possible in the current game to have 2 starting 12s on rotation depending on the opposition and Clark and Tapuai would be good options.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 11:25
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Malco

It’s quite possible in the current game to have 2 starting 12s on rotation depending on the opposition and Clark and Tapuai would be good options.

Agreed the rotation of the two is an appealing thought. Or the odd run out with Taps 12 and Clark 13.

However Harry Malinder isn't an option I would consider. Too many errors for one moment of brilliance. Similar to Twelveltrees.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 11:26
Given time to develop I think Harry would be a class 15 - allowing us to play Ant on the wing...

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 11:33
I can't see such a stark disconnect between the coaches and recruitment/management as has been implied. The two functions are surely integral in shaping the squad for years to come and must work together. If there is such a them and us relationship (or an owner with too much of a hand on the tiller...) then we'd have unravelled as a club a long time ago. Surely the coaches would have had a major input into what they feel the likes of Banners is worth to the squad?

However, maybe it would explain why we can't seem to keep a stable coaching team for more than 5 minutes.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 12:06
Quote:
Rawce
However, maybe it would explain why we can't seem to keep a stable coaching team for more than 5 minutes.
I think we only need to look for conspiracy or institutional problems with our coaching turnover until you can point to a coach who should have stayed.
Meehan didn't like being overruled by Geech (and was probably promoted above his competence).
Geech never wanted to be full time with us.
Gold was backstabbed by a famous backstabber (Bruce/Tarquin should have known what was coming when hiring Mike). I'd have like Gold to stay longer, but I'm not sure he had what it takes to coach a team at the top.
Ford lived and died by the sword, and we're well rid of him.

Who earned the right to be given 8-10 years in charge to build consistency? Hooper looks like he's being groomed for that role, but won't be ready to be head coach by the time Bladders is likely to move on (though Bladders himself may earn the right to have that time... but only if he's not good enough to interest the ABs).

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 12:09 by Which Tyler.

malco
malco (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 12:24
Quote:
Rawce
I can't see such a stark disconnect between the coaches and recruitment/management as has been implied. The two functions are surely integral in shaping the squad for years to come and must work together. If there is such a them and us relationship (or an owner with too much of a hand on the tiller...) then we'd have unravelled as a club a long time ago. Surely the coaches would have had a major input into what they feel the likes of Banners is worth to the squad?

I think the difference is that the division of responsibilities is now clearly understood and under the control of the senior management team.

Coaches coach and they tell the management team what players they want to keep, what players they are happy to release, what positions they need to bolster and what calibre of player they need to fill each vacancy. If they know of a specific player they will let the management team know.

The management team controls the budget. They negotiate with players/agents, agree contracts and renewals. If the coaching team wants a player and the player wants to come to Bath and is available then the management team can try to agree a contract with them. If a player wants more money than is available in the budget or a longer contract than is deemed appropriate then the management will make the decision that they cannot be contracted and will then consult with agents to find a similar player while talking to the coaching team about other specific names or the standard of player that is required.

We're seeing this clearly with Matt Banahan. Blackadder wants to keep him and Banahan wants to stay but the management is taking a commercial view on the length of contract to offer and the amount of money that is available within the budget. Another club is offering a lot more money and a longer contract period and Bath have to make a decision on value based on the player's age, record, injuries, strength in depth in his position and the prioritised need to invest more in other positions. They will, of course, be working closely with the coaching team in doing this.

Every coaching team would, of course, like to have a world class player in every position. The cap doesn't allow for this. It doesn't make sense for coaches to spend huge amounts of time that they should be coaching on finding players, negotiating contracts and managing their off field activities.

Mike Ford had too much influence and the club appears to have learnt the lesson from this. They would be stupid if they hadn't.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 12:36
No one's perfect, I'm not saying that, but I'd like someone to stay on to be given/take a chance beyond 1-2 years. Mallinder won two trophies at Northampton's peak before going a bit stale, though possibly recruitment is also an issue here (echoes of Quins about 6 years ago). To make real, lasting change, coaches surely need a number of years under their belt, otherwise it's a new drawing board every other season which takes 3+ years to recruit and deploy. Initial bursts of form (see Akermann) are as much an antidote to previous regimes that gets the best out of players but rarely seem to sustain a whole season.

I have fond memories of Meehan as we played some gorgeous attacking rugby. Maybe HC was a bit too much of a stretch, I dunno.

I always thought Gold would have taken on a McG type role at the top, providing strategy with coaches providing the tactical beneath. We know why that didn't pan out. Unfortunately, the pragmatic approach instilled as a temporary get well package was not good to watch for a season.

Ford would have been perfect if it weren't for the obvious issues in management style and ambition. If only he could have stayed as an attack focussed coach.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 12:41
Yes, sounds a lot more realistic Malco, thanks. I'm sure the coaches have had input into what they feel Banners is worth and for how long to the playing squad. I very much doubt Blackadder and co are saying "re-sign at any cost" and Tarquin and co are saying "only for peanuts". Perhaps this balancing of squad needs and money (and the communication) is where Hoops is crucial?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 13:06
That does seem like a sensible approach.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 13:44
I fully get the twice the pay for a longer contract argument and how tempting that might be to anyone but what about the bigger picture. Could Banners get a 'lifetime' job at Bath after he hangs up his boots (would he get this after 3 years at Glos). How much dead time is he going to spend driving to Glos and back (and that Work Life balance), how will he fit in at Glos and with the Shed? He's never going to be loved there as much as we do. Yep money is great and we all need it but sometimes there are other considerations. Seem to remember Barkers never felt at home there - there may be others as well.

malco
malco (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 13:52
Quote:
hemington
I fully get the twice the pay for a longer contract argument and how tempting that might be to anyone but what about the bigger picture. Could Banners get a 'lifetime' job at Bath after he hangs up his boots (would he get this after 3 years at Glos). How much dead time is he going to spend driving to Glos and back (and that Work Life balance), how will he fit in at Glos and with the Shed? He's never going to be loved there as much as we do. Yep money is great and we all need it but sometimes there are other considerations. Seem to remember Barkers never felt at home there - there may be others as well.

Perhaps Banners doesn't want a "lifetime" job at Bath after he hangs up his boots? Perhaps he has his heart set on going off and farming Alpacas in Peru or establishing his own quasi-religious cult in the American Midwest? He is very much in charge of his own destiny. His contract is expiring and he has another contract offer from Bath. He has the luxury of searching for options with this tucked safely in his back pocket. He is deciding where his immediate future lies, not Bath Rugby. For that reason people need to get of the back of Bath Rugby, thank Banners for all that he has given and wish him all the best for what he decides to do with his future.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:04
I am not on Baths back (what have I said that makes you think that) or Banners. I would always wish him the best of luck for all the pride, fun and enjoyment he has given me over the years. Of course he has every right to look at as many alternatives as he wants and to do what he thinks is best for him. I never said anything different.

malco
malco (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:09
Quote:
hemington
I am not on Baths back (what have I said that makes you think that) or Banners. I would always wish him the best of luck for all the pride, fun and enjoyment he has given me over the years. Of course he has every right to look at as many alternatives as he wants and to do what he thinks is best for him. I never said anything different.

That comment wasn't addressed at you personally Hemington. If it was I would have used your name rather than the generic "people". There have been quite a few people who have been blaming Bath Rugby for Banahan failing to sign a new contract. Bath have made a commercial decision and offered a contract that is in line with their valuation of him from a business perspective. It's not an emotional decision. Todd Blackadder has been clear that he wants Banahan to stay. It takes two parties to agree a contract. Banahan is 100 per cent in charge of his future.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:21
It’s certainly not Baths fault, it’s Gloucesters for offering a ridiculously attractive contract!

Even if Banners did see out his career there, I for one would certainly welcome him back to our club in a future off the field role - he has more than earned that privilege IMO.

(p.s. what happened to Paul Hill at Saints? Has he been playing? If 35 year old Perenise is thinking of hanging up his boots we could do worse than seeing if we can get Hill playing to his potential?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 19:27 by BathMatt53.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

13 December, 2017 02:14
Fully agree BathMatt.
Paul Hill was an outstanding talent which seems to have stalled a little at Saints. He has been a regular on their bench in recent games but I don't think he has had any starts in the Prem this season.

Personally I would welcome him coming to Bath, and bringing in Hatley as a consultant to get him back to where he was after his steller young England days.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

13 December, 2017 10:04
Bob
I don’t think we need Hatley. Toby Booth is doing a fine job with the forwards. We munched Toulon in the scrum.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 06:17
Todd B wants Brew to stay:

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Good solid option IMO, bit of a gem the club rediscovered there.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 07:38
Just the sort we need, sound player not taken away for internationals.

bobbybathhead
Rob (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 07:59
Hi folks. Not been on here for a very long while. Just trying to get the inside track on possible new recruits. Skimming through I saw a "big 2nd row". ....... and that's it?!

As a club our recruitment seems hap hazard. The need for a big Center is so obvious. I agree Taps is very good but in wet boggy conditions (of which there are less and less pitches like that) we need a big Center. I'd be ecstatic with Will Hurrell from Bristol. Makes meters every time solid defender and a proper turnover merchant.
As for Banners going. Gutting but understandable from both parties. If Glouc are willing to double his salary then he has to cash in. For Bath to double his salary it's near impossible "if" they have a plan on where they want to spend their cap.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 08:16
Quote:
Rob

As a club our recruitment seems hap hazard. The need for a big Center is so obvious. I agree Taps is very good but in wet boggy conditions (of which there are less and less pitches like that) we need a big Center. I'd be ecstatic with Will Hurrell from Bristol. Makes meters every time solid defender and a proper turnover merchant.

Too late on Hurrell:

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Reportedly off to Edinburgh.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 09:05
With the dosh Brizzle are chucking around there is zero chance of nicking any of their top players

Need to look eleswhere

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 09:36
Quote:
gaz59
With the dosh Brizzle are chucking around there is zero chance of nicking any of their top players
Need to look eleswhere

He isn't one as far as they are concerned - that's why he's leaving and has been playing intermittently this season. The fans don't seem to bothered either (he doesn't pass much).

Shadders
Shadders (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 21:00
Andy Goode on the RugbyPod tonight has it "on good authority" that Banners has already signed for Glos....disappointing, but understandable if the the salary rumours are true.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 21:13
"With the dosh Brizzle are chucking around there is zero chance of nicking any of their top players "

We could offer then long term, top flight rugby?

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 21:19
Malco, you will know more about the operation at the club than I, but I cannot believe that it operates as 2 distinct operations - coaching and management particularly as Todd is DoR and therefore sits on the management team!

By all accounts he made some pretty significant ‘Club ethos’ changes on his arrival and I can’t believe he doesn’t have total control over his agreed budget.

If he doesn’t have this he cannot be held responsible for delivering results on the field, and I don’t think he would have even come to Bath on that basis!

I’m sure he will be looking at balancing the squad and getting value for money out of every contract and if that means we lose players who want longer contracts/more money that doesn’t gel with Todd, then they’ll move on.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 21:31
Freddie Burns is a good listen on this week's Flats and Shanks. Both in general, but also as a wake up call - rugby is a business now and that dramatically affects signings and contracts, and fans more than anyone need to realise this. Ben Darwin (Aussie ex-int prop) has done some fascinating research on the value of the group and how long it takes different positions to adjust to a new environment/team. Sooner or later that will get priced into contracts, but this is a heavily evolving practice - a sport that is comparatively new to professionalism, salary cap in place, but still has relegation and no draft.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 21:57
Quote:
DanWiley
"With the dosh Brizzle are chucking around there is zero chance of nicking any of their top players "

Based on the signings they are making (Thacker, Afoa and Jonny Gray the latest?) as well as those that they have already made, they will definitely be looking towards the top of the table next season rather than bumping along the bottom IMO.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 22:47
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
DanWiley

Based on the signings they are making (Thacker, Afoa and Jonny Gray the latest?) as well as those that they have already made, they will definitely be looking towards the top of the table next season rather than bumping along the bottom IMO.

Perhaps Matt but it will answer those on this site that say we need 5 star players everywhere. If Bristol are buying a class side it doesn't mean they will be immediately successful.

Hasta's point about "the value of the group and how long it takes different positions to adjust to a new environment/team." is interesting and in my view spot on.

How it is quantified financially is another matter altogether.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 December, 2017 09:30
I must say that research sounds interesting Hasta. You'd have to think that especially as a fly-half or something it cannot be easy to go straight into a new environment with players you do not know.

Knowing what the players outside of you are going to do, how they like their service to them etc is not easy to understand without playing together for a little while before hand and may explain a little on why Freddie Burns has not come in and gone straight to first choice fly-half despite being in superb form at the back end of last season.

I'm guessing the same can be said for if you are a jumping second/back row and need time to gel at the lineouts etc. Guessing the only position where it is not so difficult may be wing and potentially front row where your base skills are easily transferred from team to team? I have never played front row though so please excuse my ignorance any front rowers (Sm100)

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 December, 2017 09:40
The biggest issue for Freddie (imho) was his concussion and then his red card. But yes, fly halves take a lot longer in integrate than, say, wingers.

Ben Darwin's company is called GainLine. There was a good Rugby Dungeon interview with him here

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 December, 2017 21:06
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Well we need to wait a few more years before we sign Tadhg now. Drat. (Not that we were ever going to, but he is some player)

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 22:51
Daily Mail has us as being after Alun Wyn Jones, who is a free agent next summer.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 22:56
Good player but do we really want players past their best (like Charteris)?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 23:02
Quote:
BathMatt53
Good player but do we really want players past their best (like Charteris)?

Thing is Matt he has aggression and is quite similar in play to Atwood. Ewells being a thinker would learn loads from him. Age is an issue but commitment isn't. Wouldn't he replace Charteris?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 23:07
Bear in mind that you are thinking about him now. Add 6 months before he joins then a 2(+?) year contract...

My gran has aggression, I wouldn’t want the old dear playing for bath, bless her.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 08:20
Quote:
BathMatt53
Bear in mind that you are thinking about him now. Add 6 months before he joins then a 2(+?) year contract...
My gran has aggression, I wouldn’t want the old dear playing for bath, bless her.

Key thing is his injury record which I think is quite good.

Well worth 2 years if the price is right.

Can your gran play looses head?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 08:26
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
BathMatt53

Key thing is his injury record which I think is quite good.

Well worth 2 years if the price is right.

Can your gran play looses head?

The arthritis limits her bind a bit to be honest. Besides, we have an Argentinian for that now (good to see him yesterday with the team at the warm-up)!

I see that Will Spencer linked with Tigers in TRP.

by
by (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 10:15
AWJ would be a good signing for his leadership qualities alone, I definitely wouldn't say hes past his best, look at what Kahn has brought to the squad.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 10:30
He's still one of the first names on the Welsh Team Sheet so can hardly say he is past it. He is 32, great player, leader and intelligent (a law degree).

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 10:48
With stooke, Ewels, Douglas all doing well and Garvey able to cover lock do we think that AWJ would be in to replace atters or charteris? Otherwise I think that the (big) budget would be better spent elsewhere. Like a Banners replacement for example.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 10:56
Article suggests we were looking to sign him in 2015 also which would have been ideal. Unlike Khan from what I have seen AWJ is indeed past his best. He is a very decent leader on and off the pitch but slow around the pitch and becoming a bit of a penalty magnet.

Also yesterday Ewles was putting in some huge hits and so clearly has that ability to be an enforcer on the pitch.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 11:32
In todays' rugby paper Fissler reports we hope to sign former NZ U20/Maori All Black centre Jackson Willison from Worcester in Jan18 in time for the 2018/19 season. Don't know anything about this guy...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 11:43
Willison is a 13 from what I can see on their match reports so seems reasonable to get squad cover for JJ I guess.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 14:32
Says he plays 12 and 13 in his interview when he joined Grenoble. Does have a particularly spectacular offload though!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 14:42
Ooh that is pretty yummy

Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net