rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

Jon Hardie / Matt Stevens bans
30 November, 2017 12:51
Without wishing to rake up old graves, could someone (better informed than me) explain why Hardie has got 3 months for alleged cocaine use and Stevens got 2 years?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer (IP Logged)

Re: Jon Hardie / Matt Stevens bans
30 November, 2017 13:06
My recollection is that they changed the rules and cocaine is no longer classified as a performance enhancing drug

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 14:04
Nope - WADA

This is a good question...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 15:57
When was Hardie busted?
Isn't cocaine only a 2 year ban if taken in-season? Which would mean that a test in pre-season would see no (?) WADA ban, just an SRU misconduct hearing.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 16:52
Maybe it wasnít actually cocaine, the ban could be for intent as he might not have failed a drug test. What a prat he would look getting banned for snorting some talc!

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 17:37
I heard thereís a depressing back story to Matt Stevens which canít be published here.

Lost Soul
Lost Soul (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 17:40
Quote:
@Hydor18
I heard thereís a depressing back story to Matt Stevens which canít be published here.

Sorry Hydor18 why did you even bother hinting at it then. Seems pointless and even a little insidious

EnfieldMal
EnfieldMal (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 20:32
Matt Stevens tested positive after a rugby match. The reports on John Hardie donít mention that he failed a drug test. Maybe that is the difference

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

30 November, 2017 20:40
Be careful please Hydor -and anybody else who has heard rumours on this theme.

We do not want to be open to libel accusations.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 09:19
Quote:
P G Tips
Be careful please Hydor -and anybody else who has heard rumours on this theme.
We do not want to be open to libel accusations.

PG

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Just curious as to why there's such a difference in punishment. Even if it's failed test vs allegation...it's still the same drug and outcome (it wouldn't have come out otherwise surely?), so why is there 21 months difference?

Sure Stevens has laid this one to rest and moved on with his life, but if I were in his position, I don't think I could help but feel a little aggrieved at losing 2 years of my career vs this punishment.

Even if there were changes in the law, have the powers that be only recently concluded that it's not a performance enhancing drug (the polar opposite in fact)?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 09:35
You can't compare the two. Totally different 'examples'.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 10:20
I think Enfield Mal has it right.

One case of proven use through failed tests, one case of allegation - as yet unproven.

PG.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 19:47
Stevens failed a test after a game ("in competition"), for which cocaine is ruled a stimulant and therefore banned - 2 year ban under WADA etc rules.
No mention I've seen of Hardie failing a test so therefore presumably a disciplinary ban not a WADA ban.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

01 December, 2017 21:27
Quote:
shendy
Stevens failed a test after a game ("in competition"), for which cocaine is ruled a stimulant and therefore banned - 2 year ban under WADA etc rules.
No mention I've seen of Hardie failing a test so therefore presumably a disciplinary ban not a WADA ban.

But one would assume that he has been drug tested as a result of the allegations. If so, it is possible the suspension might be revisited.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 07:44
Maybe if there were allegations, they took the route of trying to help the player, rather than force a test to try to ban him. Much better support can be give while he is within rugby, than if he was kicked out for several years.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 07:46
FYI, the site clock seems to be 30 minutes slow.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 09:02
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
shendy

But one would assume that he has been drug tested as a result of the allegations. If so, it is possible the suspension might be revisited.

But if he's not playing, would it still be an "in competition" test? It's basically the difference between being asked to wee into a bottle after a game and being asked to wee into a bottle when the testers turn up at training or at home.
Legalities notwithstanding, you can take cocaine in the off-season and fail a WADA test for it and not get a WADA ban (see cyclist Tom Boonen who failed tests for cocaine in consecutive winters) - because it's a short-term stimulant then it's only banned during competition. The punishment then moves to disciplinary rather than WADA - Stevens couldn't be involved in rugby during his ban, I suspect Hardie may still be able to train with the team.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net