rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

weekend games (spoilers)
01 December, 2017 21:19
What an enjoyable Friday night match that was for the neutral - right from the start to the finish. Newcastle just keep going don't they, I suspect its not just Bath, Sale and Saints they will beat in the last couple of minutes this season (all away too).

by
by (IP Logged)

Re: weekend games (spoilers)
01 December, 2017 21:22
Good game for a neutral, glad to see Newcastle win after Saints only got ahead from blatant cheating.

lechef
lechef (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 11:50
Quote:
by
Good game for a neutral, glad to see Newcastle win after Saints only got ahead from blatant cheating.
That is the only way Jim Mailinder knows how to play these days, along with Captain Chaos

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 16:24
Wow is that 5 losses in a row for Sarries?! Great performance from Quins, they are a different team with their international contingent back. Sarries will obviously be there at the end of the season but looking shaky at the moment - missing Billy massively.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 16:30
What time is it?? Itís not 4.24pm

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 16:41
Also looks like 5 losses from half time winning positions?

(Posted at 5:10pm)

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 17:09
Why are our posts 30mins out?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 17:12
You think that's bad, some of the posts on the Brexit thread is 50 years out.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 12:46
Quote:
lechef
Quote:
by
That is the only way Jim Mailinder knows how to play these days, along with Captain Chaos

Out of interest, what was our blatant cheating? The forward pass by Grayson, which I'd put down to youthful carelessness rather than a deliberate attempt?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 13:53
Benetton Treviso having another really good game against Scarlettís despite being down to 14 men...21 all.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 14:09
Bonus point try for Treviso in 70th minute having been down to 14 for over 40 mins. Scarlets not scored since the 26th minute. This could be them out of the competition unless they do something quickly...

Wow, Scarlets win. I canít think of too many unluckier teams in this competition than Treviso with their results against us, Toulon and now Scarlets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 14:20 by BathMatt53.

by
by (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 17:07
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
lechef
Quote:
by

Out of interest, what was our blatant cheating? The forward pass by Grayson, which I'd put down to youthful carelessness rather than a deliberate attempt?

There were two instances of blatantly playing the ball on the floor, both of which Saint's scored from. First one was Gibson reaching around the player he tackled (whilst on the floor) and knocking the ball from the SH's hands.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 18:20
Northampton fans leaving after 50 mins, there were few enough of them to start with. Ospreys humping them at the gardens and are going well, but Saints look absolutely dire.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 08:24
Oh yes, I do remember Gibson's one - I'll let you have that, pretty blatant!
Not a happy place at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 10:42
Quote:
shendy
Oh yes, I do remember Gibson's one - I'll let you have that, pretty blatant!
Not a happy place at the moment.
How much longer can Mallinder stay on?

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 11:36
Not sure, I think it has to be soon tbh. Rather than leaping into a sacking, I'd hope they're having quiet conversations behind the scenes to line someone up - such a crucial time coming up with recruitment.
Losing both fly-halves before 20 mins were up yesterday won't have helped but won't have been the sole cause of it.
And a half-empty stadium too!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:11
the reason for me (as an outsider) would seem to be Picamoles.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:32

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:53
Quote:
BathMatt53
the reason for me (as an outsider) would seem to be Picamoles.

We've got Heinrich Brussow joining in the new year.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 13:35
Saints were pretty average last year including Picamoles. I'd argue their backs are the bigger issue. Young Mallinder is pretty good but he's still green, makes mistakes and shouldn't be expected to carry the backline on his own. There are four/five key players who still get game time who are nowhere near their best - Myler, Burrell, Pisi(s), Foden - and haven't been other than in flashes for years.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:07
Sarries vs Clermont postponed - it's an all-weather pitch FFS! (Sm54)

BBWBaaBaa
BBWBaaBaa (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:23
Sarries vs Clermont postponed - it's an all-weather pitch FFS!

My thoughts exactly!!

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:36
Quote:
BBWBaaBaa
Sarries vs Clermont postponed - it's an all-weather pitch FFS!

My thoughts exactly!!

As with a few of our call offs that I can remember, the pitch might be playable but if its not safe to get the spectators in and out of the ground, it can end up being that which causes a postponement.

by
by (IP Logged)

Commentator said in the Quins game that it was to protect the supporters from endangering themselves trying to get there.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

All to do with the safety of people getting there, not the pitch.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:59
So they play it behind closed doors - they're managing in SW London!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 15:50
Quote:
shendy
All to do with the safety of people getting there, not the pitch.

What, about an inch of snow? Elf and safety gorn mad.

In other news, ouchy:

[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 15:55 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 16:21
Dunno how much snow there is is Barnet - seems to be quite variable - I was very surprised to see there had been 6" of snow in High Wycombe! But I do completely agree with the British (esp English) inability to handle a bit of forecast snow, with everything shutting down. There's a fan from Clermont over for the game commenting on the Saints site and he's fuming about it.

And yes, interesting that the Saints plight has made it to the media - probably increases the pressure on JM.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 16:24
Well, we don't deal with snow well as we rarely get much snow.
If you live in Clermont, where you'll see snow me at days for 2-3 months, you get used to it.
If you live in London, and snow settles once or twice a decade - surprisingly, you'll be less accustomed to it, and less set-up to deal with it.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 16:43
I think it's snowed before Christmas and settled once in the past 15 years.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 16:49
Ok but saying that people donít know how to deal with it? Wear a coat and sensible shoes and walk a bit more slowly would be sensible advice. Quins fans seemed handle it fine - was public transport cancelled?

Edit: just had a look at some of the reasons and apparently the nearby roads hadnít been gritted etc. Just sounds like poor preparation rather than anything sinister - the weather reports were talking about inclement conditions before the weekend. Ho hum, not surprised that the French arenít chuffed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 16:58 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 17:20
Yeah it's the roads more than anything else. Don't know if the tube was affected too.

Forecast here when I checked yesterday (I'm about 12 miles from Allianz Park) was for snow later today - but it bucketed it down with rain from about 3-6am and then snowed for four hours - freezing the rain residue. Not saying it's not a little bit rubbish.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 17:22
Shall we just agree that it's Sarries' fault?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 17:34
...reasonable

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 17:49
Leinster posing Chiefs a few more problems than we did. Colossal match up and very enjoyable for the neutral. Leinster could be well up if not for a couple of tight decisions.

Wow, 44 phases for that try against Exe!

Great work by Leinster and fantastic result.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 18:56 by BathMatt53.

by
by (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 18:56
Exeter completely dominated up front and in possession stats by Leinster, very worrying for the rest of the premiership.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 20:00
Quote:
hasta
Yeah it's the roads more than anything else. Don't know if the tube was affected too.
Forecast here when I checked yesterday (I'm about 12 miles from Allianz Park) was for snow later today - but it bucketed it down with rain from about 3-6am and then snowed for four hours - freezing the rain residue. Not saying it's not a little bit rubbish.

Buffalo bills game - showing us Brits how to play in a bit of snow.

[www.buffalobills.com]

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 20:02
This from the Ex board.

'Well the Leinster supporters sound very confident they'll turn us over on their board. Not sure how many have seen us play but with the 13 Irish internationals on the pitch they think we will be out classed.

They have bags of experience, but we've faced this sort of thing before and come out on top.'

Makes you realise where BoB gets it from!

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 20:04
Couldn't help wondering how they knew where the goal lines were? (Buffalo Bills)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 20:05 by Mike the Taxi.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 10:54
What say you to Sarries not recovering and Leinster in the final and possibly becoming European Champions?
Thought they were excellent yest, (and I'm a closet Exeter supporter).

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 11:10
They certainly 'out exeter-ed' Exeter. 30 phases followed by 44 phases less than 10 minutes later, they just choked the life out of them in the same way that Exe do normally. Mind you Exe were making (forced?) uncharacteristic errors especially under the high ball and throwing some really dodgy passes along the back line.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 12:19
But for two decisions determined on a few millimetres there could have been another 14 points on the Leinster score and you have to say it wouldn't have flattered the visitors at all, they were that dominant

Will be fascinating to see how Chiefs respond in Dublin

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 December, 2017 21:02
Dave Ward has done well again for a (badly) losing Quins team tonight. I always think of him as someone who could have done a job for us - one who got away. Mind you his head wasnít quite right when he was here, Pirates did him a lot of good.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 07:03
If I recall Dave Ward was playing Hooker for us and we were well stacked in that department.

On another track why keep dusting off this old thread ? Why not create one called This Weekends Euro games or similar so we can find the good stuff at the top of the thread.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 07:55
Since the title was the same BG I didnít see the point...itís good thumb exercise - very small scale calisthenics.

MESSAGES->author
Garbageman (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 10:36
I use my forefinger for scrolling, am i doing it wrong?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 12:30
Quote:
Garbageman
I use my forefinger for scrolling, am i doing it wrong?

Thatís inhuman, what the hell is wrong with you?!

MESSAGES->author

16 December, 2017 13:45
See Scarlets have their try bonus already, Currently 31 - 0 after 52 mins

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 15:26
Exeter look like a different team this week.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 16:40
Can you begin to imagine what the fans on here would be saying if weíd given up a 17-3 lead to lose 17-22 and be knocked out of Europe?

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 16:56
Yes, I think I'll have a look on the chiefs board to see what they really do think...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

annie blackthorn

16 December, 2017 17:06
As we are about to start a similar situation, perhaps not go throwing stones about just yet!?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 20:27
Quote:
annie blackthorn
As we are about to start a similar situation, perhaps not go throwing stones about just yet!?

It's very quiet on the reservation, not much wailing and gnashing of teeth at all, v philosophical tbh...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 22:11
Quote:
annie blackthorn

Eh?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 22:31
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
annie blackthorn

Eh?

Reference to our KO perhaps looking at the timing, Annie worried that we might loose...game was never in doubt to my mind! (Sm141)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 22:42
Ah. She of little faith.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 17:40
Looks like Sarries gave away too many penalties

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 20:14
Sarries played well (much better than recently at least), was a close game and a decent score at Clermont.

Tigers v Munster game was good for the neutral as well, lots of huff and puff and some great kicks from hand by both sides. Good to see Manu back. Some Tigers fans of the view that the ref decided which team would win from the start but thatís tosh, Tigers just werenít savvy enough and Munster played it more smartly. OíMahoney was awesome in the lineout.

Congratulations Wasps!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 20:24
Sarries have a job to do to get through now, 3rd in group behind Ospreys?? Got to win soon surely.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 20:39
We are the only English team not currently in 3rd or 4th in their group.

annie blackthorn

17 December, 2017 21:46
Very satisfactory position to be in but as ever, no room for complacency or easing up.

Poor old Sarries - all that way and they still didn't win. Now that's what I call 'support of the home crowd' - don't think we (I mean the royal we of course) have had a trip to Clermont in the Europeans as yet.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 21:59
I don't think 'poor' and 'Sarries' go together.

I remember travelling to the Stoop full of hope when we played Clermont in a final.

Blue black and white all round the ground, only three Frenchmen there and they won!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 22:09
Clermont have paid for the expenses of those fans who stayed over last week to watch the delayed game and made all that noise. Great gesture I think.

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 16:43
Shock as Leicester learn the rules apply to them too.

ĎBut this is Welford Road,í moans Dan Cole.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 16:59
Red card for Johnny May for two deliberate knock ons. Correct letter of the law decision but both were instinctive, neither were deliberate, and the first gave away a penalty try also.

Poor old Johnny May. If he wasnít an ex Glawsterman playing for Tigers my heart would be bleeding. As it is though it sends me off for a Christmas Eve pint with a spring in my step. smileys with beer

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 18:15
I disagree, the first looked deliberate the second I think you can argue either way, however the refereeing team disagreed and do by the letter of the law a second yellow and red. Thought Carley was very good today in difficult circumstances. Nice to see Sarries back on track, thoroughly enjoyed watching that game.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 19:01
"Poor old Johnny May"

I'm sure there's a song in that somewhere:

"Come on Eileen!"

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 19:13
Sarries in so much trouble they are only 2nd!

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Hercules Spoons
Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 20:34
Awp - do you think Carley had any idea what was going on in those scrums? I don't think he had a clue.

Dave Berko
Dave Berko (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 20:39
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Awp - do you think Carley had any idea what was going on in those scrums? I don't think he had a clue.

Which ref does know!!!!!!

In fact does anyone really know?

Merry Xmas from Sarries fans

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 21:38
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

He certainly knew (as did we all) that Sarries were getting crushed in the scrums for that 5 months period. Someone was going to take the fall eventually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 21:38 by BathMatt53.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 22:33
Nobody really knows what is going on in the front row unless you played there but thought on the whole he got the majority correct. Thought he did well overall and if you are from Leicester you canít blame him for being the cause of losing the game!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 22:45 by Awp24975.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 23:30
Quote:
Awp24975
Thought he did well overall and if you are from Leicester you canít blame him for being the cause of losing the game!

Oh you can. And they do. Every b***** week.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

25 December, 2017 00:25
Yep they certainly do, every single week, including this one. It shows a blatant ignorance for the game amongst the dark site crowd.

Oh and apparently Tigers are the only team to be penalised/yellow carded for deliberate knock ons, they're treated harsher in that regard than any other team it seems (Sm6)

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

25 December, 2017 02:52
Quote:
ballsout
Yep they certainly do, every single week, including this one. It shows a blatant ignorance for the game amongst the dark site crowd.
Oh and apparently Tigers are the only team to be penalised/yellow carded for deliberate knock ons, they're treated harsher in that regard than any other team it seems (Sm6)

Which is excellent news. If the prevailing opinion in Leicester is that they are hard done by by the refs then they won't address the basic issues which are that they have no on-field leader, their pack is getting bullied by all and sundry in the loose and Manu couldn't catch a cold at the moment. Long may it continue.

Merry Xmas to one and all.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net