rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Re: Exe v Bath
02 December, 2017 18:50
Still say we are missing Tabai Matson, we didn't miss tackles early season and intensity wasn't an issue.

Coaching is often a double act with one complementing the other. Out of interest do coaches come under the cap?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:06
Er, no.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:12
I’ve pointed it out before but Blackadder and Matson won nothing with the Crusaders. They came quite close but could never close the deal. The Crusaders won the title the year after they left.

We are certainly a good team and we don’t have a bad league position, but I’m far from convinced we are on a clear road forward that might lead to success.

This isn’t me calling for heads to roll as there are parts of our game that have really improved in the last year, but I still have some doubts about the coaching team.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:13
Quote:
Which Tyler
As for how far we are behind the top 2... yes we're behind them, and are several years of development behind them

That really makes me smile as It seems a bit meaningless when our head coaches rarely stay more than 3/4 years & there is a high turnover of players. It is true that MacCall & Baxter have been in situ for quite a while so that has clearly made a difference as has the quality of their academies. However, if we are going to achieve anything we have to truncate this development period otherwise we’ll never get near to winning anything.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:22
Quote:
ken_jnr
I’ve pointed it out before but Blackadder and Matson won nothing with the Crusaders. They came quite close but could never close the deal. The Crusaders won the title the year after they left.
We are certainly a good team and we don’t have a bad league position, but I’m far from convinced we are on a clear road forward that might lead to success.

This isn’t me calling for heads to roll as there are parts of our game that have really improved in the last year, but I still have some doubts about the coaching team.

I couldn’t agree more Ken Jnr. We were utterly hopeless for 60 minutes & I wasn’t that impressed with the 4 tries we scored in the last quarter. Exeter, whilst still happy to attack, were not going to bust a gut defending. Also our approach work for the Watson try was lumbering & inaccurate, so different from the slick cohesive attacks produced by Exeter. We just can’t produce 80 minutes of cohesive, focused rugby. In the last two games we’ve done okay for 20 minutes whilst the remainder has been rubbish. I’m pretty sure that Leicester & Wasps will finish ahead of us but even with our inconsistencies we should make top 6

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:30
Quote:
ken_jnr
We are certainly a good team.

Are we?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:32
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
ken_jnr

Are we?

Yes, don't be a t*rd

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:45
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
ken_jnr

Are we?

Yes, don't be a t*rd

Strongly disagree

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:46
Ok, settle down with the personal insults please all.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:47
I love Ballsout, he makes me smile. X

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:53
What is a good team? We have some excellent players, probably better than all bar 2 or 3 premiership clubs but our performances don’t match the sum of its parts with any degree of consistency.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 19:55
We have good players, but I wouldn't say we are a good team.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:01
Quote:
Bath Hammer
What is a good team? We have some excellent players, probably better than all bar 2 or 3 premiership clubs but our performances don’t match the sum of its parts with any degree of consistency.

Exactly, the sign of poor coaching. We're far from a good team and have been for years. Over and over we look good on paper, then play like drains.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:09
I don’t disagree

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:12
Men against boys. Exeter have left Bath far behind in all areas of the game and spent a lot less money to boot. Well done to them .

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:20
Quote:
BathPatriot
Men against boys. Exeter have left Bath far behind in all areas of the game and spent a lot less money to boot. Well done to them .

Not sure about the less money bit but they are certainly (with Sarries) streets ahead of the rest at the moment.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:42
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
BathPatriot

Not sure about the less money bit but they are certainly (with Sarries) streets ahead of the rest at the moment.

.....and before that it was Wasps, Leceister, Northampton & Harlequins. We just made one final which we lost comfortably. We are always in transition!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 20:43 by Bath Hammer.

Budicus
StuartMMoss (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:42
Team not good enough... others better...top 4 an aim.... final a dream... final win?? A miracle!
Love for Bath? Undoubted!!!

Luke Charteris -Adopted player 2017-18

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 20:43
The point I wanted to imply was if we can spend freely on coaches why have we not got TB some top class help?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 21:04
Perhaps we aren’t the only club to do so but we seem to really take our time to fill gaps whether they be players or coaches. Presumably Matson brought something to the table & whatever it was is missing now.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 21:23
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
BathPatriot

.....and before that it was Wasps, Leceister, Northampton & Harlequins. We just made one final which we lost comfortably. We are always in transition!

Well that’s the real issue isn’t it? We not only have to improve but we have to improve by more than all their other teams in the league, who are also trying to improve. We nearly got there a few seasons ago and then we’re overtaken again, by the likes of Exe.

al Mossah
al Mossah (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 22:14
I think I have an explanation as to what happened today. My Farleigh spies report this conversation last Monday.

Todd B (for it is he).
“Now, Freddie, you are the starting FH this week. You've got big boots to fill, but I'm sure you can do the same magic that Ford did for us last season.”

FB. “Thanks, Boss, if you're looking for someone to take the ball early, spin quick flat passes and commit defenders then I'm sure I can do as well as Fordy”

TB (glancing at his fellow coaches). “Er, Freddie, that's not really what we want from you. We were looking for someone to kick hard-won possession aimlessly to the opposition back three. We want someone who can dwell on the ball, someone who sucks the life out of a move. We call it the 'Molly tactic'. It works on the basis that the opposition fall asleep just before your team-mates do. We perfected it several years ago with the great Molly Malone. It wasn't Fordy's natural game, but he worked hard at it and managed to send half the Rec to sleep at times. Admittedly the other half were screaming at him to get a f******g move on. Anyway, we are looking for someone to slow it all down. Conventional wisdom is that quick ball wins games; we happen to believe the opposite.”

FB. “I'm sorry Boss, but I don't think I can do that. I'm a naturally attacking FH with a bag-full of tricks. I can't play the way you want. Can't you find someone else to do it?”

TB. “Who do you have in mind?”

FB (thinking fast). “Well, maybe you could get the scrum half to take that role. When the forwards have presented the ball, get the SH to amble across and poke a toe into the ruck. Get him to stir his foot around a bit, straighten up, ask the touch judge for a match, light up, take a couple of drags, hand the cigar to the ball boy, wander back to the ruck, have a look along the line, check that the defence is in position, order a couple of guards into place, look up again, bend down, lift the ball slowly out and do a rubbish box kick to their winger. Obviously don't bother chasing it. I think you'll find that that will introduce a Malone-type torpor to the opposition.”

TB. “Sounds a good plan, Freddie, thanks.” Turns to Stuart Hooper. “Get Kahn in here; tell him we've a new role for him. We'll try it on Exeter at the weekend”.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 23:01
Who cares about this result, away against league leaders! Real games against Europe’s finest next week! 🎣🎣🎣🎣

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 December, 2017 23:16
On a side note, was good to see the return of the diamond for the final try - straight out of 14/15 season. It made carving a defence open look so easy.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 00:22
Well I predicted a LBP but really thought if our powder puff pack could have won some decent ball and gained parity up front, our star studded back line could/should have seen us win or at least get closer to a very, slick, fitter, stronger, better coached, more physical and definitely keener and astute Exeter team. Thank God they rested Slade!

Most of their players have either come through their Academy, or been deemed 'second rate cast offs' by other clubs like Bath. Just look at what they have become.

I was truly ashamed at our performance, if you can call it that, and when Exe took off their starters to save them for next week, felt they were really rubbing in how inept, pathetic, brainless Bath are. Not one of that XV/23 deserve to wear the BB&W.

Where was the leadership and is it possible we had a game plan, apart from kick the ball aimlessly away to a side who like to keep it in hand? I looked at the team after about 35 minutes, and we shambling around with our heads down, and in the second half, the backs couldn't even be bothered to line up properly. We were blowing hard and are not even up to the fitness standards expected of a top league side. Stop wasting money on the holiday home that is Farleigh Towers, burn it to the ground, and get the players back in the mud at Lambridge or on the beach or at the Marine Camp at Lympstone like Exeter. This pampering has got to stop and get some fire in our guys bellies. Over half our side were not up for the fight and capitulated, and yes rolled over and had their tummies tickled.

We are too soft, physically weak and have no pride. This is epitomised by the boy Ewels who was literally bowled out the way by an Exeter back (think it was that powerhouse Steenson-ha ha), and then departed the field to have a rest and try on his England cap (Laugh) and count his salary. If he stays and Stooke goes, we are truly stupid and have no hope.

Before the appeasers start defending the indefensible, until we get a pack of forwards who are capable of running, grappling and yes fighting their way forward, we will never compete regularly with the top teams. Let the likes of Watson, JJ and el leave, and spend the money on some tough, mobile forwards. Our scrum creaked all game, the lineout was shambolic, and Van Vuuren's throwing is as bad as it gets. And as for the dumb tactic of kicking to the corner and trying to drive a lineout, forget it Bath. If we have a penalty chance, ALWAYS kick for goal, its our only likely chance of scoring!

What happened to Roko? Was Grant or Perenise on the field? Why is it when we had the ball we passed across the field and repeatedly went backwards, until we either dropped it or kicked it away, aimlessly. Unlike Exe, there was no running onto the ball at speed (many of our team just lumber), no backing each other up and no competition at the breakdown. Our tackling often didn't nail the man and when Jack Nowell ran through the twice as tall, heavier Banahan as if he wasn't there, creating Steenson's try, summed up our useless, gutless display.

Exeter fans I spoke to were feeling sorry for how bad, weak and schoolboy naive we were and had become. That possibly hurt the most, a once proud team who will be lucky to be as high as 9th in the league, with all our resources, could not give Exeter a game. They are in a different league, not the one we are in, and have years to go to even gain parity.

By the way, anyone who mocks Exeter should go down to their well appointed ground and watch how a well motivated, skilled rugby side and squad of 40 odd similar standard players perform, and the club still makes a profit every year without a Mr Bountiful in the back ground!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 00:41
OMG BoB you have outdone yourself:

‘ very, slick, fitter, stronger, better coached, more physical and definitely keener and astute Exeter team. Thank God they rested Slade’.

Fitter and stronger!? You want to tell Obano and Auterac that? Better coached and astute I will grant you. We were naiive. But physically weak and no pride? I’m not one for insults but you are taking the p1ss with that one. We were outplayed today for sure by the champions at home but you really take the biscuit with your personal digs against the whole Bath team. I’m done with it tbh.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 07:14
Bravo, BoB. Textbook. Couldn’t have written your post better myself.

Tough loss away against a very good team. Thought we showed great heart to fight back for a bonus point. Fair play to them, they’re unstoppable when on that form, as all sides in the league, including Saracens, have found.

Amazed by how arrogant (and quite unpleasant) some of their fans have become after only a year or two of success. Bloody cold down there and their attitude makes me not want to drive the 3+ hours there and back again in a hurry.

Onto Toulon, hopefully some settled selection, and a better outcome.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 08:00
TB has a difficult decision for next week as none of the 23 have earned their place in the team for Toulon away.

Although saying that I think the coaches must take most of the blame for sticking to the kick it away and hope plan A tactic.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 08:13
Well I had a very enjoyable day at Sandy Park yesterday despite the trouncing. The Exe fans around me were fun, knowledgeable, and sporting enough to know that in pro sport what goes around comes around. A special mention also to the Exe pasties, in a different league to the current line up at the Rec .... and no blooky chorizo in the sausage rolls either.

Thought Exeter’s rugby in the first 30 mins was as good as I’ve seen in club rugby and that Bath were 5% off the pace With their line speed not where it needed to be. Despite the 4 tries I thought there were no obvious defensive shortcomings except for Watson’s missed tackle. Annoyed that we kicked the ball away and chased poorly but I’m not sure it would have made much difference what we’d have done first half.

Much better second half as our bench players seemed to up the intensity, maybe Todd gave them a rocket too. All in all we played with plenty of heart but were under powered for the Exe game. Maybe Thomas, Catt, Atwood, Louw, Underhill, and Faletau would have made a difference if available, we’ll never know.

We need to up the intensity for Toulon and develop a strategy for overcoming the blitz defence. Onward and upwards Bath.

charlieboa
charlieboa (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 08:18
I like to chuckle at BoB and bo's incessant negativity as much as the next man but they both do raise a few valid points consistently tbf...

Exeter are better coached (massive admirer of baxter) , have a more conherent culture, are more physical and fitter imho. Baxter is on record as saying they expanded their game as they had complete confidence they were the fittest team in the league so could out work anyone else if they play a wide high tempo game. We looked out on our feet by half time....

You could say it's hard work defending which brings me to bo's point that you won't consistently compete with the very top teams living on 30 percent possession. Our attacking strategy seems to be to not have the ball and hope roko does a few magic things in each game. If you are passive in defence against a team you give lots of ball to who know what they are doing you will get thumped.

A useful eye opener I thought and glad we showed some spirit at the end but let's not kid ourselves, that was a horrid outclassing...

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 08:46
‘By the way, anyone who mocks Exeter’. Nobody ‘mocks’ Exeter BoB. I know you like to think you are synonymous with Exeter, but it is you that posters mock, not Exeter, and your latest inflated, pathetically hyperbolic self-parody is only going to perpetuate that.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:11
When do we see the muscle bound Obano and Auterac running around for 10 minutes, let alone 60/80, handling like a back but still doing the work needs in the scrum and lineout like Hepburn, Cowan- Dickie and Williams?

Even the ageing Waldron ran through us without a hand being laid on him and big Lees charged around to good effect. None of our so called forwards came close to matching theirs. Exe always made ground, not retreated sideways across the pitch and then either loose in contact or drop the ball or kick it away aimlessly.

I truly believe that Todd is long term going to be the future for Bath Rugby. However, performances like that are unacceptable to any owner, board of directors or supporters who have given our well paid, excellent facilities squad all the support and conditions to be a top team. His being the softly spoken Mr Nice Guy, along with his other coaches and Hooper, has got to stop. Behind closed doors he may be angry -as many of us are at the demise of our once great club- but it is about time he starts delivering and we see some improvement, not scraping a win here and there.

I do not want to see or hear players demanding more money when they are very lucky to have what they have now. It is about time they got fitter, learned how to pass, tackle and kick at the required levels of modern rugby. When they show consistent improvement and loyal support of the club, then they like in other professions, will earn more.

I never want to again witness such an appalling, toothless 60 minutes of so called rugby by a Bath team. Buck up Bath, let this game be the line in the sand, below which we will never again fall.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:14
Not a great day at the office - but we scored 4 tries away at top of the league and championship holding side's ground. We won the second half 14-26. Quite clearly we are having problems finding motivation; a come back like that smacks of the visceral emotional reaction to being humiliated - which we were, first half. I worry that our approach to a game like that is overly professional, clinical and emotion-less. I think some of what BoB says isn't entirely untrue - the heart isn't really there, until there's nothing to lose and the boys play to express themselves. Leadership?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:14
BoB certainly makes good points some of which I agree with but he undermines his points of view with hyperbole & is accordingly derided for it & not taken seriously. I certainly agree with how Exeter have developed a group of mostly average players into a championship side, where was our leadership & game plan allowing us to continuously kick the all back to them, are we fit enough, the lack of running on to the ball at pace & providing support runners & the weakness of our tackling. It has to be said, though, that the opposition had something to do with several of those issues.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:33
According to TB getting the LBP at the end was like losing 12-11. I hope he doesn't really mean that because from where I was sitting it was nothing short of humiliation.

Watched Toulon in the evening and with their counter attacking options our hopeless kick and wait game is taylor made for them.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:33
Just watched the BT sport highlights and Watson’s tackle attempt for Exeter’s second try is not one he’ll be proud of. Wonder whether he’s carrying a knock or two. Can Brew play full back for a couple of weeks which would let us start Banners with Roko ?

WRT to BoB I find the way he questions Bath’s desire and commitment as completely insulting and I wonder why anyone who feels that way would want to support the club. As to his latest quote of ‘when did we last see Obano and Auterac run around for 10 minutes ?’, that really highlights his porcine ignorance.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:46
Quote:
Beergoggles
Just watched the BT sport highlights and Watson’s tackle attempt for Exeter’s second try is not one he’ll be proud of. Wonder whether he’s carrying a knock or two. Can Brew play full back for a couple of weeks which would let us start Banners with Roko ?
WRT to BoB I find the way he questions Bath’s desire and commitment as completely insulting and I wonder why anyone who feels that way would want to support the club. As to his latest quote of ‘when did we last see Obano and Auterac run around for 10 minutes ?’, that really highlights his porcine ignorance.

If you only saw the highlights, you might have missed an amazing Watson cover tackle where he made up 12m within the 22 to smash a guy into touch.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 09:59
For the love of god please can we have an 'ignore poster' function...it would save me a lot of time scrolling through BOBs screeds of insulting hyperbolic drivel.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 10:06
Well, as I saw i there can only be two explanations for yesterday's performance

a) Coaches set a cunning plan to play passive, aimless stuff for first 65, gift easy TBP and up the pace for the last 15 against a disinterested, tiring opposition to gain bonus point which players executed brilliantly

or

b) Team selection based on high tempo, attack minded game-plan to move ball quick and wide through hands from breakdown at every opportunity which players for whatever reason couldn't be arsed until prospect of total humiliation finally sank in

Still can't make my mind up which one it is

If its b) then a Stranglers single is in my head but if b) then the Orange Juice hit could be not far from Bruce's turntable

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 10:28
Quote:
OutsideBath
According to TB getting the LBP at the end was like losing 12-11. I hope he doesn't really mean that because from where I was sitting it was nothing short of humiliation.
Watched Toulon in the evening and with their counter attacking options our hopeless kick and wait game is taylor made for them.

Losing Bonus Point, thought it was a Try Bonus Point which this team has been criticised for not scoring many!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 11:20 by CoochieCoo.

03 December, 2017 10:54
Exeter clearly the best team
In the country currently while Bath are not ...yet still in the top 4....doom and gloom! ..... personally I'm much more irritated by Glaws being above Bath!

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 10:58
TB made it very clear that the performance was a awful in every facet however he pointed out that as bad as it was they still came away with a BP so ironically it was no different than had they lost 12-11.

He knew how bad the performance was however you have got to take it in context Exeter were very good and our defence both speed and ferocity for whatever reason was awful.

It happens lest we forget Exeter went to Tigers and lost where we won, Tigers went to Wasps and lost where we won, so we are not as poor a team as some have suggested. One poor performance does not make a bad team.

MESSAGES->author

03 December, 2017 11:07
I thought Cook played well when he came on and Priestland did more than Burns

22Dropout
22Dropout (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 12:42
Really, really missed our (arguably only) two world class players - Francois and Faletau. W/ out then we just couldn’t slow their Ball down, let alone get anywhere near a turnover. Bonus point really was a bonus, and hopefully it will still be useful come the sharp end if the season!

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 12:52
For a team that was, apparently, much less fit than the opposition, we seem to have scored an awful lot of points late on in the game!

Elliott Stooke- proudly adopted for 2018-19

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 13:16
I almost wish we hadn't scored those four tries at the end. Its putting a gloss on a hopeless performance and prob won't be the kick up the backside the club desperately needs.

Esteemed
Defends (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 13:17
Above all, we really miss Dave Attwood. He is the glue who holds the rest of the scrum together. I also don't rate our Front row - They give away far too many penalties - I vividly remember Gloucester in the closing minutes. Until we get a scrum that dominates, we will continue to miss out the Top Four.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 13:25
Quote:
Defends
Above all, we really miss Dave Attwood. He is the glue who holds the rest of the scrum together. I also don't rate our Front row - They give away far too many penalties - I vividly remember Gloucester in the closing minutes. Until we get a scrum that dominates, we will continue to miss out the Top Four.

I think that the stats for the season in relation to the scrum tell us that nobody really has one that dominates any more with the new rules. Remember that our front row is a patchwork at the moment with a late signing (AP), a kid (BO) and Lahiff who has just returned and as you say, no attwood to provide the ballast.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 14:02
In the last 12 months Exeter have not lost a home Premiership game, nor failed to score 30 points at home. They were better than us; but right now they are better than EVERYONE.

How they of got to that position with the squad they have will have every other team scratching their heads, and rightly so.

But losing away to the best team in England foes not make us a bad team.

Stuart

Former ed.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 14:15
Quote:
Ballsout
I almost wish we hadn't scored those four tries at the end. Its putting a gloss on a hopeless performance and prob won't be the kick up the backside the club desperately needs.

Agree with that one.

Quote:
TCM2007
But losing away to the best team in England does not make us a bad team

And that one.

The first half performance was very poor for a game we should have been right up for. We lacked intensity, precision, and accuracy when we needed to be 100% just to live with Exe.

Bigger worry is that the current game plan of relying on our defence and living off scraps just isn’t working well enough. We have to find a way of holding on to the ball for longer and going through, round, or over the blitz defence.

MESSAGES->author
Garbageman (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 14:24
Let's face it we'll never progress as a club until we have a clear out of those forum posters that have no heart for the fight, all ego and expecting an armchair ride. Prima donnas. And anyone making eyes at other clubs should be shown the door straight away.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 14:40
Quote:
TCM2007
In the last 12 months Exeter have not lost a home Premiership game, nor failed to score 30 points at home. They were better than us; but right now they are better than EVERYONE.
How they of got to that position with the squad they have will have every other team scratching their heads, and rightly so.

I don't think losing away to Exeter is the point, it's the manner of defeat which is so annoying and the total lack of a game plan from the coaching staff to counter their style that's the problem. We may not be a bad team, but we're not a good one either.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 14:40
Quote:
Garbageman
Let's face it we'll never progress as a club until we have a clear out of those forum posters that have no heart for the fight, all ego and expecting an armchair ride. Prima donnas. And anyone making eyes at other clubs should be shown the door straight away.

Agreed, other clubs posters are fitter and stronger and want it more...and we don’t punch enough.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 17:50
It has looked to me like we have employed a defence pattern this year based on:
i) Not committing to rucks and spreading wide (opposition do not go around us this year)
ii) Keeping front five players in the middle third, back rowers wide... Great if we get turn over ball (if you divide the no. tries we've scored by minutes in possession, we're quite efficient) - but the trouble is, we're not turning ball over!
iii) Centres leading a rush from midfield
...These three things combined leave a weakness at point and guard on the edge of break-downs, as there is a tapering dog-leg back in towards the ruck or maul that can be exploited using ball carriers running angles and offloading.
I don't think our front 5 is always dynamic enough to play this defensive system. Perhaps it is TB's ambition that our front 5 can be more dynamic? Teams that attack us in narrow channels cause us problems.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 17:55
Just wonder if BoB is going to post on the Sarries board about how Kruis, Isiekwe and Itoje are not committed to the club and how their quality backs threw the game away failing to prevent the winning try against a class side like Quins!

Prem this season is simply unpredictable!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 18:18
Quins? Surely not. After all they were utterly appalling against us...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 18:23
A painful game and scoreline for all involved but the players and coaches need to remember that yesterdays game has cost us nothing but a few points in the league table and some bragging rights.

There is all still to play for, what it comes down to is our ability to learn and improve. We have class players, some are not fit, but I suspect the key improvement might be to find a replacement for TM and fast.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 18:37
Quote:
Tall Paul
For a team that was, apparently, much less fit than the opposition, we seem to have scored an awful lot of points late on in the game!

Absolutely right TP.

Our extra fitness shone. Had the game gone another 10 minutes it would have seen us through.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 19:40
Quote:
TCM2007

This is the interesting thing to me. How have Exeter managed to get themselves into this position? What is their style of play, and how come no one has worked out how to combat it? Personally I don't find them very attractive to watch, but, whatever they're doing, they are getting results. Can't be denied.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 19:52
They tend to play a very tight game, making negligible handling errors, and regularly go through 30+ phases. That will eventually leave some gaps in the defence from which they score.
It certainly isn't expansive and they regularly ignore simple overlaps.

They are so, so much more than the sum of their parts - that I think is the startling thing - a very average squad on paper, but boy are they exceptional at what they do.

by
by (IP Logged)

03 December, 2017 22:44
Quote:
dannyf2
It has looked to me like we have employed a defence pattern this year based on:
i) Not committing to rucks and spreading wide (opposition do not go around us this year)
ii) Keeping front five players in the middle third, back rowers wide... Great if we get turn over ball (if you divide the no. tries we've scored by minutes in possession, we're quite efficient) - but the trouble is, we're not turning ball over!
iii) Centres leading a rush from midfield
...These three things combined leave a weakness at point and guard on the edge of break-downs, as there is a tapering dog-leg back in towards the ruck or maul that can be exploited using ball carriers running angles and offloading.
I don't think our front 5 is always dynamic enough to play this defensive system. Perhaps it is TB's ambition that our front 5 can be more dynamic? Teams that attack us in narrow channels cause us problems.

+1

Also they clearly targeted Roko and Mercer on Saturday, constantly running at that left wing making easy meters.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 02:47
Quote:
TCM2007

You've missed the point.

Losing to the best team in England does not make us a bad team. Playing rubbish rugby with no basics, coherence, smarts or ambition makes us a bad team.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 07:28
It is turning out to be the most competitive season ever in the AP so that no result is a foregone conclusion apart from when Exeter play & I’m hoping they will get caught out a few times. It has been explained but I don’t really understand the secret of their success. To be able to read each others game so effectively & never make mistakes is not something that even the very best sides can’t do continuously. They have some good players but most seem to have been made so by their success. Has anyone gone there & failed apart from that Fijian winger who had other issues? Probably not, which says a great deal. It is somewhat annoying for us as they are just down the road & much newer to this level of rugby so comparisons are going to be made particularly by BoB. Goodness knows how you achieve it but we have to just focus on ourselves & there is plenty to focus on (Sm130)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 07:29 by Bath Hammer.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 07:39
Its great for Exeter that they are playing so well right now because that will ensure they end up with the December 2017 Premiership Title.

We of course must be magnanimous enough to concede this prestigious award to them and instead work towards winning something meaningful at the end of the season. Back to the training pitch Bath, lots of hard work ahead,

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 07:54
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
TCM2007

You've missed the point.

Losing to the best team in England does not make us a bad team. Playing rubbish rugby with no basics, coherence, smarts or ambition makes us a bad team.

We're 4th in the table.

Only Ex are a good team.

All the teams around us are equally bad and inconsistent!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net